How To Train Your Dragon 3 trailer.

You know...mabye I should start wacthing these movies and give them a chance.

They seem to be the successor to the older Pre Shark Tale Dreamworks Movies that they made, and especially eschewing gaudy pop music and pop culture references and humor.

Is it worth a watch?

Yes. All the yes. Yes coated yes with yes flavoured filling.

Yes, yes they are. They aren't the usual Dreamwork pop-culture referencing Shrek-style fare. If anything, the best comparison I can think of for the first movie is The Iron Giant.

Chimpzy:
Yes, yes they are. They aren't the usual Dreamwork pop-culture referencing Shrek-style fare. If anything, the best comparison I can think of for the first movie is The Iron Giant.

I truly think the last good Dreamworks movie ironically was Shrek 2 (I don't think Shrek 1 has aged well and think its crappy now mind you)

But still lament the fact they haven't made any more "dramatic" movies like the Prince of Egypt let alone 2D animated works.

I liked Road to El Dorado and Sinbad alot to this day and wish they make something more, heck make more bible stories in the vein of Prince of Egypt, I like to see the story of Joshua and King David or even Jesus done by these guys. Or anything 2D animated really.

Per the above points:

-I've only seen the first 'How to Train Your Dragon', but I definitely reccomend it. It's an excellent film, and actually my #1 DreamWorks film.

-It's not in the style of Prince of Egypt - it's certainly DW's most 'serious' franchise post-PoE, but it's a completely different tone, being focused on action-adventure. So if you liked PoE, it's not a guarantee in of itself that you'll like this.

-Post Shrek 2, of the DW films I've seen, I'd still maintain that Over the Hedge and Kung Fu Panda (the first) are good movies. But in hindsight, I think it's the first Shrek that really gave DW its 'voice,' so to speak, in that it defined what we expect from a DW film (focus on humour).

-Concerning 2D animation, DW seems to be in the same place that Disney is - 2D animation for cartoon series? Fine. 2D animation for films? Nup. I don't particuarly mind, but don't expect to ever see a DW 2D animated movie again.

-Surprised that they're definitively declaring it to be the final installment. We'll see how long that lasts...

The first one was really good. The second one was... not as really good but still fairly good. The first one is a well executed spin on the old "a boy and his X" story, X = dragon here. The second one... well, it reminded me of Cameron's Avatar. It was a fun movie too. But not really great. Just... good.

Hawki:
Per the above points:

-I've only seen the first 'How to Train Your Dragon', but I definitely reccomend it. It's an excellent film, and actually my #1 DreamWorks film.

-It's not in the style of Prince of Egypt - it's certainly DW's most 'serious' franchise post-PoE, but it's a completely different tone, being focused on action-adventure. So if you liked PoE, it's not a guarantee in of itself that you'll like this.

-Post Shrek 2, of the DW films I've seen, I'd still maintain that Over the Hedge and Kung Fu Panda (the first) are good movies. But in hindsight, I think it's the first Shrek that really gave DW its 'voice,' so to speak, in that it defined what we expect from a DW film (focus on humour).

-Concerning 2D animation, DW seems to be in the same place that Disney is - 2D animation for cartoon series? Fine. 2D animation for films? Nup. I don't particuarly mind, but don't expect to ever see a DW 2D animated movie again.

-Surprised that they're definitively declaring it to be the final installment. We'll see how long that lasts...

What's your opinion on Rise of the Guardians?

I don't know how anyone can watches these and not cringe. Jay Baruchel's voice is just grating. Its impossible for me to take him seriously, and it makes my skin crawl whenever that weird, squeaky slurred nasally voices says anything.

Silentpony:
I don't know how anyone can watches these and not cringe. Jay Baruchel's voice is just grating. Its impossible for me to take him seriously, and it makes my skin crawl whenever that weird, squeaky slurred nasally voices says anything.

It certainly isn't great, but I always had a bigger issue with the kids somehow speaking in American while the adults all had Scottish accents. Like why? It's the same bloody village in the middle of nowhere. Do they transition from American to Scottish past a certain age, or did they want Scottish accents to make the vikings sound more rough and tough, but were afraid if they didn't give the kids American accents the American movie going audience wouldn't relate to them? Hmmm, I wonder...

Another problem with these damn movies is Hiccup and Toothless' relationship. So Hiccup spends all this time getting to know Toothless, choosing dialoge over violence, and eventually this forms a bond between these two characters. It's special because it's between two enemies who decided to take a risky first step, putting in effort to move past their differences. But then we find out the dragons are actually really nice and are subjugated by one big EVIL dragon, and all they want is to be our friends. Wow, that really devalues that relationship, along with childishly simplifying this conflict.

Then the sequel takes Hiccup and turns him into a badass/pretty boy character, eventhough that's not at all what he was about in the first movie.

Also the character designs range from mediocre to bad, with only Toothless standing out in any positive way.

They might be a step up from the general Dreamworks garbage, but that Dreamworks stank is still very much present.

So Hiccup has a beard now eh? I guess someone at Dreamworks is a fan of the new God of War game.

WolvDragon:
So Hiccup has a beard now eh? I guess someone at Dreamworks is a fan of the new God of War game.

Full Beard and Moustache ala Jesus style is the new trend at the moment.

He looks like Jake Donnie Darko now.

I might give it a look... though the "Light Fury" thing really rubs me the wrong way. Couldn't they just have a female Night Fury, we had to go for the Fan OC option?

...Though I will admit that Toothless was utterly precious in his flirting.

Full disclosure:

yes. Yes, you should. They're so good

WolvDragon:

Well, that, Logan, Captain America in Infinity War, Henry Cavill in Mission Impossible: Fallout

Natemans:

WolvDragon:

Well, that, Logan, Captain America in Infinity War, Henry Cavill in Mission Impossible: Fallout

I guess the Jesusy beard is all the rage these days!

WolvDragon:

Natemans:

WolvDragon:

Joel from the Last of Us.

Scorpion and Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat X

Default Faced Male Hawke in Dragon Age 2.

Samtemdo8:

WolvDragon:

Natemans:

Marcus Fenix in Gears of War 4.

Natemans:
Full disclosure:

yes. Yes, you should. They're so good

The only thing that made me hesitated on giving it a chance is frankly the main charcater's dragon itself, and how "ugly" it looks.

They couldn't just make it a normal looking dragon, nooo, they had to make it look like this weird "Cat" thing.

If the Dragon looked something like Spyro the Dragon I would tolerate it, but as of now it just freaks me out

WolvDragon:

Samtemdo8:

WolvDragon:

Dominic Santiago in Gears of War 3...

Samtemdo8:

WolvDragon:

Samtemdo8:

Dominic Santiago in Gears of War 3...

Rico Rodriguez from Just Cause 3 as well.

I enjoyed both films and the whole of the animated series.

I'm both excited and dreading the third film.

WolvDragon:

To be fair, you could see him being stubbly in the second one as a "Look he's older and maturer" thing. Full beard is just the next step of that

I forgot how much I like the soundtrack of this series.

Anyway, same sentiments: first movie was great, second movie was alright. Hopefully they up the action in this movie, that's what I found lacking in the second.

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:
Per the above points:

Never seen it.

Tanis:
I enjoyed both films and the whole of the animated series.

I'm both excited and dreading the third film.

My whole attitude of being slightly worried is the use of the romance for Toothless, the generic bad guy and also because its a third film.

I mean I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda 3 even if I thought it was the weakest film in the trilogy.

Shrek the Third, on the other hand, is my least favorite Dreamworks animated film and one of the most unfunny comedies I've ever sat through.

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:
Per the above points:

I actually really liked Rise of the Guardians.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here