Purchases You Lament And Purchases You Adore:

We've all done it, even if only in hindsight.

You buy something you thought was going to be 'the best thing ever'...
Only to regret it later either because it turned out to be something it was not or you get a little older and realize how rubbish it actually is.

OR

You buy something you thought was going to be 'the best thing ever'...
Only to cherish it later either because it turned out you were absolutely right or you get a little older and realize how awesome it actually is.

So, yeah...One coin. Two Sites. Heaven or Hell. Duel Three. Let's Rock!

I bought Duke Nuke'em Forever and lamented it pretty soon afterward, especially since it was new from Target and I couldn't return it for being a horrible game.

A purchase I adore is my ultrasabers stage combat lightsaber. I bought the black finish Scorpion with a green blade and sound effects and have to say that it is the best $250 I ever spent outside of my consoles.

Renowned Explorers. A cross between a board game and a video game with some many ways to engage with it. Spent so little money on a game I've spent a lot of time on.

And continuing the got my money's worth. I paid a couple of bucks for Watch Dogs 1. I can understand being annoyed at paying full price and all the bad marketing. But I definitely got my money's worth there.

I regret buying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for my Switch. I adore buying Sleeping Dogs for my ps4.

I thought a strapless "invisible bra" (backless, strapless) was going to be great and allow me to wear a greater variety of dresses and tops without putting an eye out with my nipples but then when I got it it turned out to be the worst ever. If you move, it comes unstuck from your breasts and falls off, it being silicone, it makes you sweat and break out in rashes. The cup sizes don't match your actual cup size so if you have anything larger than a C cup they glue your boobs together so tight you cannot even breathe even when you go up to larger than your cup size so then it is like your boobs are constantly trying to slingshot out of it. The whole thing turned out to be worse than a nightmare. Taping breasts is torture, but this is worse because it is like taping your breasts but it stops working and falls off sling shotting your boobs out of it as soon as you get out on the dance floor or bend over to pick something up.

Purchase that I have loved is the Nividia GeForce GTX1080 Ti. The tiled caching makes a huge difference on bandwidth and it does not run anywhere near as a hot as I thought it would. Although I did decide to finally go with a dual PSU set up and get a dual PSU switch to turn them off and on at same time due to not being happy with the single PSU unit after adding the card. I actually think I like the idea of adding more PSU's to be able to add all the extras I want to add from now on instead of trying to get single larger units. Since I do my own custom case mods to begin with, I can build it into whatever I like and am not limited to the restrictions of prebuilt cases.

My next project is going to be a massive built in media server that can be accessed from all TV's in the house...

I bought one of those flexible rubber keyboards recently, it's fan-fucking-tastic for travelling. Next best thing to buying a brand new laptop with an actually functioning keyboard. In general I'm happy with anything I buy with my savings and can get a decent mileage from. A flatscreen, an office chair. Anything quality that has good durability and makes life comfier.

I will forever regret buying Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor for the PS3. To date it remains the single most broken, worst possible port of a game I've ever played through. Thanks for nothing Behavior Interactive.

I bought Kingdom Come Deliverance thinking it'd finally scratch that Swords and Shields 'fantasy' RPG itch that at best Skyrim took two little scitchs at then stopped. And its just such a fucking slog. And glitchy. And annoying. The combat is just fucking terrible. The bit in the ZP review about the in-combat weapon angle being the same control as the general camera fucked me over so fucking much. About to swing my warhammer down on a smelly french knight, only to have my character turn 90 degrees left and take a short sword directly to the ribs.

As for things that were great, that's easy, my Xbox 360. I didn't have a DVD player and my laptop was shit and I was in college. And I saw on the social medias an ex-girlfriend of mine was selling a 360 for cheap that was left to her by one of her ex-boyfriends. We met for coffee and lunch and I bought it off her and it came with two games, Stormrise and Halo 3. And damn me if it wasn't the best purchase I ever made. I played that thing so often, through all the major releases and I only stopped last year when I got a PS4 as a gift. I was fully prepared not to move away from my good ol girl, and I have it safely packed away for a rainy day.

I saw this and was amazed at the idea of such a game and bought it soon after

I recently re-beat it for the millionth time last week! Best game ever!

As for regrets, I bought FFXI, the first Final Fantasy MMO for PS2, it cost like, 100$ cause it came with a bunch of stuff to play it and get it online...never got it to work, wasted a bunch of my money, and I was a kid, so it was a way bigger deal! (I was always good at saving money though)

(Huh, just checked and they came out around the same time as each other, fitting)

I bought pouf ( Ottoman)to put my feet up while i watch tv/play videogsmes. I don't iv'e gone so long without one.

I regret buying the Playstation camera. I was young and had dreams of being a famous streamer ! Oh to be young and foolish!

I bought Kirito's sword from a cosplay store. Was it called the Elucidator? Anyway, regret it because a) I sat on it the day after and broke it and b) SAO is trash.

Something I adore? Hmmm I am a poster boy for buyer's remorse, so I can't really think of anything.

Silentpony:
I bought Kingdom Come Deliverance thinking it'd finally scratch that Swords and Shields 'fantasy' RPG itch that at best Skyrim took two little scitchs at then stopped. And its just such a fucking slog. And glitchy. And annoying. The combat is just fucking terrible. The bit in the ZP review about the in-combat weapon angle being the same control as the general camera fucked me over so fucking much. About to swing my warhammer down on a smelly french knight, only to have my character turn 90 degrees left and take a short sword directly to the ribs.

As for things that were great, that's easy, my Xbox 360. I didn't have a DVD player and my laptop was shit and I was in college. And I saw on the social medias an ex-girlfriend of mine was selling a 360 for cheap that was left to her by one of her ex-boyfriends. We met for coffee and lunch and I bought it off her and it came with two games, Stormrise and Halo 3. And damn me if it wasn't the best purchase I ever made. I played that thing so often, through all the major releases and I only stopped last year when I got a PS4 as a gift. I was fully prepared not to move away from my good ol girl, and I have it safely packed away for a rainy day.

I guess it would not be very nice for me to bring up the Lockpicking on that game... I too was hoping that would be good, instead it was needlessly tedious and ridiculously absurd.

Lil devils x:

Silentpony:

I guess it would not be very nice for me to bring up the Lockpicking on that game... I too was hoping that would be good, instead it was needlessly tedious and ridiculously absurd.

The lockpicking was the worst possible mechanic I've ever seen in a game. I mean I don't get how it got passed QA or how any of the devs thought it was well implemented.

Silentpony:

Lil devils x:

Silentpony:

The lockpicking was the worst possible mechanic I've ever seen in a game. I mean I don't get how it got passed QA or how any of the devs thought it was well implemented.

Yea, I remember you play on console, and although they made it easy on PC, I have to agree, the console lockpicking was one of the most ridiculous things I have seen implemented into a game. Might as well be trying to lockpick while riding a skateboard down a gravel road.

Best purchase was my iaito. I earned the right to buy it (basically), and I won't lie, it felt good.

Worst was incorporating my business. While I made pretty good money while the business was incorporated, the financial side of it was miserable for me, I made too many costly mistakes on bad advice, and the dissolution process was bullshit.

only purchase i really regret is the mass effect andromeda collectors edition, maybe the raiden sword i got at con too

As for the best thing, easily both the fallout 4 collectors editions, wanted a pip-boy since 3 so i wasn't missing this chance

Adore: CKRT Guppy a small extremely useful utility knife I use literally every day, A Mortar and pestle shockingly useful kitchen tool, any craft bitters Essential to cocktails and unique drinks in general also fantastic flavoring to rice just add it with the water you will cook it in, Tesla lighter it is lighter that uses Tesla coil to light things

Lament: A glass that claims to hold 250 ML of liquid that clearly doesn't, Mini Fridge IT IS LOUD AS HELL AND NOT GONNA COOL STUFF ANYMORE!

All I can think of for now.

The one that comes to mind that I regretted a bunch was Mercenaries 2 the day it came out. It just wasn't a very good game and it was buggy, but the ad for it was sooo good, like ridiculously good.

One that I completely adore is Shadowrun Dragonfall. I got it as part of a humble bundle and it took me a bit to actually play it but once I did I totally loved the game. The world is interesting, the characters are fun, the game play is good, the graphics are... ehh, but its just such a great game. And Shadowrun Hong Kong is great too, the play mechanics are better but the story isn't quite as interesting, but its still really good.

Regretful purchase: Wilkinsons screws. Seriously shit.
Best purchase: Safety razor. Seriously okay.

Best: First guitar, or indeed any instrument.

Worst: lot of variables to consider on this one, haven't been great at restraint with spending on useless shit in the past. Probably a rent deposit I never got back maybe due to a breakdown and dodgy landlord or something. Should've put more thought into the achieving the entropic endeavour at the time. Am certain there's more with further reaching damage once tallied up, but memory is tricky to explore within these moments.

Mirror's Edge was so bad it's the only game I ever got refunded on the basis of being shit.
Best purchase...maybe Steam Controller? I left it for the longest time because it looked weird and wasn't a standard 360 style affair. Great piece of hardware, great in (almost) every game. The level of customisation is staggering and although it does take a little extra time per game to get right, the benefit of such is returned with dividends. That is in games where I don't just use KBM, which of course remains the preferred choice :-)

I bought Supreme Commander 2 despite it being 50% more expensive then the previous titles because I thought it would be good. I mean, Supreme Commander was great, and Forged Alliance was even better, so how could it not be worth 60$?

Fuck Square Enix.

I love the fact I impulse bought all of Babylon 5 when I found it on DVD at my video store.

Zontar:
I bought Supreme Commander 2 despite it being 50% more expensive then the previous titles because I thought it would be good. I mean, Supreme Commander was great, and Forged Alliance was even better, so how could it not be worth 60$?

Fuck Square Enix.

I love the fact I impulse bought all of Babylon 5 when I found it on DVD at my video store.

Whats wrong with SupCom2?

Maybe Im biased because I got it on sale for like $5, but I was left pretty satisfied.

Elijin:

Zontar:

Fuck Square Enix.

Maybe Im biased because I got it on sale for like $5, but I was left pretty satisfied.

They took one of the greatest RTS games of all time and turned it into a subpar Starcraft knockoff. I have literally never seen someone who liked the original hold a positive opinion of the second.

Zontar:

Elijin:

Zontar:

Fuck Square Enix.

They took one of the greatest RTS games of all time and turned it into a subpar Starcraft knockoff. I have literally never seen someone who liked the original hold a positive opinion of the second.

Coming from TA, I consider them both to be lesser. That doesnt prevent me from enjoying them though. Try buying things on sale.

Elijin:
Try buying things on sale.

If it was any good I wouldn't have to!

Plus, I don't think it was even on steam when it initially came out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here