What is wrong with MovieBob?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I am wondering how a guy who used to make one of the most interesting pieces of content for the escapist, went off the rails. It's one thing to support feminism, it's another to constantly attack people on Twitter for their different opinions. Was MovieBob always like that? Was he always so outspoken before GG?

Just to put it bluntly, what is wrong with him?

Believe it or not, he's slightly less of an elitist prick now than he used to be. Not by much, mind you, but at least he's not saying people shouldn't be allowed to vote just because they like movies he doesn't.

Moviebob has always been a dick, but I think it really was the 2016 presidential election that just destroyed his mind completely (like most neoliberals, honestly).

So what was he saying on twitter?

Worgen:

Probably something about how blue collar workers need to be cleansed from the earth with fire. He says stuff to that effect quite frequently.

He is certainly much more restrained in videos than in Twitter. He also got a lot of harassment (like photoshopped quotes), so that certainly made him even grumpier on the long term.

I always had the impression he was perpetually angry, but to be honest, most people need to take a break from Twitter.

MovieBob was always a toxic ass. Yeah maybe his videos were slightly less toxic when he was on here, but his comments and moderation wasn't. The dude is a paradox - he demands attention and affirmation of his beliefs, yet seems to actively despise anyone and everyone who talks to him or watches his stuff.
He just always came off as a smug and deeply unhappy manchild stuck in 1985, desperately trying to prove the world hasn't moved on and Super Mario Bros is still the best video game ever made, ever.

Here you go:

He looks like he eats a few too many french fries, for a start. But maybe that's par for the course for a guy who watches movies for a living.

I am not totally sure he has had a few very odd comments before GG and going batshit. One I recall is remarking on Katniss Everdeen's name as sounding like a Star Wars villain despite it being plain English. Given his odd views, I think most can decern his odd implications, it is sexism and vilifying women and absurd implications like that.

Samtemdo8:
Here you go:

Oh god, 70 minutes is way too long to waste thinking about Moviebob

I haven't followed Bob in years, so I don't know if his attitudes have changed. His insistence that Super Mario Bros. was the pinnacle of gaming and we need to return to that golden era instead of wallowing in [insert current genre trend here] crap just turned me off of him.

When he was talking about geek history, he was great. When he was poltical, he was very manic-depressant. Willing to cleanse people he doesnt like - yeah not my bag.

BreakfastMan:

Samtemdo8:
Here you go:

youtube

When you're done, make sure you watch part 2, it's only 40 minutes long.

I don't know. I never followed him on social media and I stopped paying attention to him altogether after he left The Escapist. I did like his The Big Picture show when he was here though.

His video "Magneto Was Right" kind of sums it up.

He seems to have become an insane, elitist sociopath that actively echo's nazi and white supremacists rhetoric only from his warped perspective of defending against some imaginary evil due-bro menace in the name of progressive.

So, he is essentially the unfiltered ego of the modern liberal progressive political lean who's lack of tact in his embracing dividing people by race and class, and actively punishing them for wrongthink, makes those he seeks to be friends with want to distance themselves.

In short, he revealed himself as a horrible and judgmental human being who preached a nerd version ethnic cleansing and exists now as a laughing stock to most everyone.

I enjoy most of his videos, but he is 'done' faking any kind of neutrality.

Canadamus Prime:
I don't know. I never followed him on social media and I stopped paying attention to him altogether after he left The Escapist. I did like his The Big Picture show when he was here though.

From what I've gathered his Youtube videos have become increasingly dogmatic and aggressive, and as others have said kinda...Fascist. Like he's on record saying there are no bad tactics, just bad targets and things like assault, doxxing, and false claims were totally fine so long as they were directed against people he doesn't like.
He's kinda a SJW Milo.

Wintermute:

BreakfastMan:

Samtemdo8:
Here you go:

youtube

When you're done, make sure you watch part 2, it's only 40 minutes long.

I might consider it, if I finally decide to throw away what remains of my sanity. Watching 110 minutes of some random youtuber ranting about a shitty Z-list neolib movie critic sounds like a hell of a way to destroy your brain.

Silentpony:

Canadamus Prime:

From what I've gathered his Youtube videos have become increasingly dogmatic and aggressive, and as others have said kinda...Fascist. Like he's on record saying there are no bad tactics, just bad targets and things like assault, doxxing, and false claims were totally fine so long as they were directed against people he doesn't like.
He's kinda a SJW Milo.

Well he really has gone off the deep end.

I still like his movie reviews. His IBWT segments are mostly pretty good. And in the current day his "extremist" political views are pretty par for the course for ANYONE talking politics. If someone can't watch him because of his politics... frankly they either have to admit they don't LIKE his politics or admit they don't watch ANYONE who expresses an opinion.

He's a guy that acted like a bit of a dick.

I've still seen people say much worse things, routinely, in the forums here and elsewhere. People lose their sense of perspective when Moviebob is concerned.

Samtemdo8:
Here you go:

is there a TL;DW version? 150 minutes is way more time than I'm willing to spend listening to a rando rant about mr. chipmunk.

BreakfastMan:
Moviebob has always been a dick, but I think it really was the 2016 presidential election that just destroyed his mind completely (like most neoliberals, honestly).

I don't know, his earliest videos were far more considered and nuanced, like his video on Fat Princess.

DarthCoercis:

Samtemdo8:
Here you go:

is there a TL;DW version? 150 minutes is way more time than I'm willing to spend listening to a rando rant about mr. chipmunk.

Just watch it while you are doing something else, like play Hearthstone or Overwatch or something like that while listening.

I much preferred him when he went "Pop-culture thing is ... WEEEIIIIIRRRDD!" instead of, well, whatever he is now. He comes off very, very angry and possibly also very unhappy.

Moviebob is just the culmination of everything people want from content like he produces, whether they admit to it or not.

I forgot if it was him or Jim that just basically laid out that the more unhinged yelling angry videos got more views, and thus more money. Giving content creators a justifiable reason to appear more angry the longer they go on.

The dudes not acting, that's for sure. But let's not pretend we didn't feed and lead him in this direction for our entertainment.

How long have you got?

But seriously, though... it seems he went from considering his job as analyzing and giving his opinion on movies, games and pop culture in general to scrutinizing them for strict adherence and compliance to his sociopolitical views (providing a vehicle for these being, apparently, their single discernible purpose in his eyes) and educating the contemptible unwashed masses of mentally, morally and quite possibly physically backwards untermenschen of which the former's audience consists in the latter's finer points.

Seems to happen a lot with so-called critics and journalists these days... go figure.

He's one ponytail short from being the live-action personification of the comic book douchebag from the Simpsons.

He's always been a bit of a polarizing jerk, but he used to be entertaining and slightly endearing about it, even when he was dead freakin' wrong (I remember that whole Other M debacle) or when he really overdid the whole story arc thing for his gaming show.

It's just that when GG happened, he kinda went way off the rails, culminating in his "There's no such thing as bad tactics, only bad targets" statement, which is just loony tunes ridiculous. And then he kinda never stopped going further down that rabbit hole.

Sadly, Razorfist more or less did the same after trump got elected, and went down his own rabbit hole until his usual crass-but-funny-shtick became super over-politicized and he too became unwatchable.

It seems to be a running theme these days, of having people who make good, but aggressive content who then go off the deep end.

Here's hoping Jim Sterling doesn't do the same. At least he tends to make enough caveats or point out what other people will do in reaction to something rather than go "THIS IS THE ONE TRUE WAY IF YOU'RE NOT LIKE IT YOU'RE BAD". ...Well, aside from greedy microtransactions, but I think that most of us will agree with that since no one likes being ripped off. XD

aegix drakan:
He's always been a bit of a polarizing jerk, but he used to be entertaining and slightly endearing about it, even when he was dead freakin' wrong (I remember that whole Other M debacle) or when he really overdid the whole story arc thing for his gaming show.

It's just that when GG happened, he kinda went way off the rails, culminating in his "There's no such thing as bad tactics, only bad targets" statement, which is just loony tunes ridiculous. And then he kinda never stopped going further down that rabbit hole.

Sadly, Razorfist more or less did the same after trump got elected, and went down his own rabbit hole until his usual crass-but-funny-shtick became super over-politicized and he too became unwatchable.

It seems to be a running theme these days, of having people who make good, but aggressive content who then go off the deep end.

Here's hoping Jim Sterling doesn't do the same. At least he tends to make enough caveats or point out what other people will do in reaction to something rather than go "THIS IS THE ONE TRUE WAY IF YOU'RE NOT LIKE IT YOU'RE BAD". ...Well, aside from greedy microtransactions, but I think that most of us will agree with that since no one likes being ripped off. XD

Yeah, Bob and razorfist are both jackasses and one isn't better than the other. I only saw some of razorfist stuff, before I quit. I used to like Bob, but his increasing political attitude and acting like a jerk to anybody who dared had a different opinion than him made me stop watching him. Shoot the early signs are always there: him insulting and saying nobody should drive if they enjoy movies like Transformers or Expendables, calling people who don't like watching thinking movies mindless sheep, suggesting that the entire cast of Sonic be killed off aside from the main 4, and wangsting about how The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ,"broke" him. Though by that last point I already stopped watching him. At the end of the day he's just another bitch in a box stand. FYI, that means a hypocrite of the highest caliber. He had it good but grew an ego. The same thing that happened to people at Channel Awesome, Spoony, and many others from the early days of YouTube or Internet critic "reviewing" or "analysis".

aegix drakan:

Funny you mention Razorfist, since Moviebob parodied him in his Gameoverthinker series. That was cringey.

BreakfastMan:

Worgen:

Probably something about how blue collar workers need to be cleansed from the earth with fire. He says stuff to that effect quite frequently.

He was agreeing with some trash named Zinnia Jones who randomly said "fuck middle class working white people". Then it got good when someone named Shaun said bluntly "Shut up, Bob".

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here