What is wrong with MovieBob?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

RaikuFA:

BreakfastMan:

Worgen:
So what was he saying on twitter?

Probably something about how blue collar workers need to be cleansed from the earth with fire. He says stuff to that effect quite frequently.

He was agreeing with some trash named Zinnia Jones who randomly said "fuck middle class working white people". Then it got good when someone named Shaun said bluntly "Shut up, Bob".

Shaun is very good. He is one of the more popular lefty youtubers out there, and Bob had a huge blow-up over shaun calling him out. Was fantastic.

WolvDragon:

Funny you mention Razorfist, since Moviebob parodied him in his Gameoverthinker series. That was cringey.

Razorfist has never not been cringey. Holy hell, that dude sucks.

BreakfastMan:

Razorfirst is basically just r/The_Donald merged into a person. He's good at talking, I'll give him that, but he thinks owning a thesaurus is the same as being educated. Half his rants are based off of provably false claims from Fox news and Brietbart, and the other half are him just channeling Moviebob about how games he doesn't like are 100% unplayable and how people who like them don't count as people.

RaikuFA:

BreakfastMan:

Worgen:
So what was he saying on twitter?

Probably something about how blue collar workers need to be cleansed from the earth with fire. He says stuff to that effect quite frequently.

He was agreeing with someone named Zinnia Jones who randomly said "fuck middle class working white people". Then it got good when someone named Shaun said bluntly "Shut up, Bob".

Is this one?

Frankly, I have seen Bob tweet much more toxic stuff. This is tame.

Oh yea, Bob "PC gaming is dead" "Microsoft and Nintendo will be the only video game platforms after the PS3 flops" "The Playstation was never actually successful, Nintendo just let them win." Chipman.

Fuck him.

WolvDragon:

Funny you mention Razorfist, since Moviebob parodied him in his Gameoverthinker series. That was cringey.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy though.

Smithnikov:
Oh yea, Bob "PC gaming is dead" "Microsoft and Nintendo will be the only video game platforms after the PS3 flops" "The Playstation was never actually successful, Nintendo just let them win." Chipman.

Fuck him.

You think after winning 3 console generations, he wouldn't spout nonesense like that.

BreakfastMan:

RaikuFA:

BreakfastMan:

He was agreeing with some trash named Zinnia Jones who randomly said "fuck middle class working white people". Then it got good when someone named Shaun said bluntly "Shut up, Bob".

Shaun is very good. He is one of the more popular lefty youtubers out there, and Bob had a huge blow-up over shaun calling him out. Was fantastic.

Don't forget: Afterwards HBomberguy joked that "That's why he's not called Socioeconomics Bob" and then he actually went and changed his Twitter name to Socioeconomics Bob.

PsychedelicDiamond:

BreakfastMan:

RaikuFA:

Don't forget: Afterwards HBomberguy joked that "That's why he's not called Socioeconomics Bob" and then he actually went and changed his Twitter name to Socioeconomics Bob.

Talk about a triggered "snowflake!" XD

PsychedelicDiamond:

BreakfastMan:

RaikuFA:

Oh god, that is fucking gold. Talk about being a god-damn child, holy shit. He really doesn't handle being blown out of the water by people better than he ever was well, huh?

Silentpony:

BreakfastMan:

Razorfirst is basically just r/The_Donald merged into a person. He's good at talking, I'll give him that, but he thinks owning a thesaurus is the same as being educated. Half his rants are based off of provably false claims from Fox news and Brietbart, and the other half are him just channeling Moviebob about how games he doesn't like are 100% unplayable and how people who like them don't count as people.

Razorfist is one of the quintessential examples of a really dumb guy who thinks he is really smart.

CaitSeith:

RaikuFA:

BreakfastMan:

He was agreeing with someone named Zinnia Jones who randomly said "fuck middle class working white people". Then it got good when someone named Shaun said bluntly "Shut up, Bob".

Is this one?

Wait wait wait... he said that? What does he consider himself if he's not "white working class?"

Canadamus Prime:

CaitSeith:

RaikuFA:

Is this one?

Wait wait wait... he said that? What does he consider himself if he's not "white working class?"

A "thinker", not a "believer". I remember using that shit in his old videos; with Lisa Simsons usually bring portrayed as thinker, which doesn't make sense at all. A clearly shows that he doesn't do his research or is projecting. Lisa a lot of things, but "thinker" is not one of them. She's thinker in comparison to certain characters after season 6, but that is not saying alot.

BreakfastMan:

RaikuFA:

BreakfastMan:

WolvDragon:

I think it's cause Shaun is more rational. I known I started following him cause of it

Bob's clueless self-hatred reminds me of Chappelle's black (and blind) white supremacist.

Canadamus Prime:

CaitSeith:

RaikuFA:

Is this one?

You know those Lefty elitist that the Right keeps banging on about. Apparently they were right. Who knew?

(well, actually everyone knew there were some Left people like this. It's just no where near a majority or even a minority. There's an a-hole in every group)

WolvDragon:
I am wondering how a guy who used to make one of the most interesting pieces of content for the escapist, went off the rails. It's one thing to support feminism, it's another to constantly attack people on Twitter for their different opinions. Was MovieBob always like that? Was he always so outspoken before GG?

Just to put it bluntly, what is wrong with him?

Personally, I think the guy is a very depressed person. Or he is on the spectrum, obsessive to the point that everything is personal to him. Bob really appears to be an "EMOTIONAL" reaction driven person not an "INTELLIGENT" (logic)driven person.

All that means is,if something ticks off a emotional trigger in him, Bob is quick to say/do something without totally thinking it through.

trunkage:

Canadamus Prime:

CaitSeith:

Is this one?

You know those Lefty elitist that the Right keeps banging on about. Apparently they were right. Who knew?

(well, actually everyone knew there were some Left people like this. It's just no where near a majority or even a minority. There's an a-hole in every group)

If he's Left wing then I don't know much about what's Left and what's Right because I would've thought the Left would be all about the working class whether they be white, black, or pink with yellow spots. Maybe that's just me, but then I don't define myself by that whole back-asswards political spectrum.

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

Canadamus Prime:

If he's Left wing then I don't know much about what's Left and what's Right because I would've thought the Left would be all about the working class whether they be white, black, or pink with yellow spots. Maybe that's just me, but then I don't define myself by that whole back-asswards political spectrum.

See the Trump election. Working voters are now Republican in the US. Anti-immigration and protectionism was sold as helping workers.

Edit: Political Spectrums are useful only for dismissing people. If one idea can be claimed as your negative of choice (Right/Left etc.) then all their ideas can be ignored

Silentpony:

Canadamus Prime:
I don't know. I never followed him on social media and I stopped paying attention to him altogether after he left The Escapist. I did like his The Big Picture show when he was here though.

From what I've gathered his Youtube videos have become increasingly dogmatic and aggressive, and as others have said kinda...Fascist. Like he's on record saying there are no bad tactics, just bad targets and things like assault, doxxing, and false claims were totally fine so long as they were directed against people he doesn't like.
He's kinda a SJW Milo.

Pretty much all my old warnings were due to me getting mad at that "No bad tactics, only bad targets" rhetoric he started espousing, to see him careen further off the deep end kinda just makes me sad. No human should fall that far into the depths of extreme authoritarianism.

aegix drakan:

Here's hoping Jim Sterling doesn't do the same.

Well Jim is currently busy flailing at Steam for not censoring their platform according to the taste of various twitter mobs, we'll see how that goes.

trunkage:

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

See the Trump election. Working voters are now Republican in the US. Anti-immigration and protectionism was sold as helping workers.

Edit: Political Spectrums are useful only for dismissing people. If one idea can be claimed as your negative of choice (Right/Left etc.) then all their ideas can be ignored

Oh so according to Bob because some members of the working class are morons and actually thought a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth would actually care about them, all members of the working class should fuck off and die including himself (presumably he lacks the self-awareness to realize that the working class includes himself)? He really has gone off the deep end.

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

Canadamus Prime:

Oh so according to Bob because some members of the working class are morons and actually thought a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth would actually care about them, all members of the working class should fuck off and die including himself (presumably he lacks the self-awareness to realize that the working class includes himself)? He really has gone off the deep end.

This quoted tweet was what he was salivating over too and who he was quoting.

https://twitter.com/BasedMara2/status/1006268941977686017?s=19

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

Canadamus Prime:

Bob isn't left. He might think of himself as being on the left, but nobody on the left actually thinks he is on the left. He is very much a neo-liberal.

RaikuFA:

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

This quoted tweet was what he was salivating over too and who he was quoting.

Both Shaun and Bob were talking about that quote. I heard years ago how Bob completely gave up (to put it nicely) on any Trump supporters in twitter, so how is this even surprising?

BreakfastMan:

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

Bob isn't left. He might think of himself as being on the left, but nobody on the left actually thinks he is on the left. He is very much a neo-liberal.

Ok, I'm not sure what a "neo-liberal" is. I tried googling it, but all I got was stuff about laissez-faire economics. The impression I get is that he's like an AU version of Holy Terror era Frank Miller. Still an authoritarian fascist, but his views regarding everything else are the exact opposite.

Canadamus Prime:

BreakfastMan:

Canadamus Prime:

Ok, I'm not sure what a "neo-liberal" is.

A Hillary Clinton stan, basically.

Canadamus Prime:

Ok, I'm not sure what a "neo-liberal" is. I tried googling it, but all I got was stuff about laissez-faire economics.

That's the core thing with them.

Neo-Liberals are generally very pro-business and in favor of laissez-faire economics, and thus they tend to lean pro-war because of the power of the military industrial complex. Generally republican/conservative type positions.

They then cloak that with "But we're actually good on social issues!", but only when they have no money to lose on it. Like, there's not much money to lose if they come out in favor of LGBT issues, but they won't come out against the drug war and for-profit prisons and over-criminalization (all of which tend to more heavily impact minorities that they say they care about), all because that would impact their donors.

They also tend to lean heavily on the social issues they support, so that they appear to be on the left. You know, the "If you run against a woman, you must be sexist!" kind of shtick.

Basically, it's people like Joe Manchin, or other democrats who might claim "We hate trump, he's horrible!" but then vote in favor of his massive increases in military spending, in favor of his pick for a national security position who happens to be a known torturer and evidence burner, and against things that would actually help the people and hurt their donors like a living wage or ending the wars, etc.

Essentially, Neo-liberals are economic conservatives who just aren't horrible on social issues, and sometimes have enough of a heart to be shocked when something really big like continued mass school shootings happen. The kinds of "liberals" who say they "resist" trump with their mouth, but then vote for his policies and people with their hands.

BreakfastMan:

Canadamus Prime:

trunkage:

I don't think he's liberal at all, neo or otherwise. Sure he spouts the political ideals of what we consider liberalism, ie pro-gay, pro-trans, pro-immigration yadda yadda. And he truly may believe them.
But his ideas on controlling people, censorship and taking freedoms away from people he disagrees with are straight fascists. He's not liberal at all. He's simply a left-leaning fascists who would happily take away rights from people he disagrees with.

Silentpony:

BreakfastMan:

Canadamus Prime:

I don't think he's liberal at all, neo or otherwise. Sure he spouts the political ideals of what we consider liberalism, ie pro-gay, pro-trans, pro-immigration yadda yadda. And he truly may believe them.
But his ideas on controlling people, censorship and taking freedoms away from people he disagrees with are straight fascists. He's not liberal at all. He's simply a left-leaning fascists who would happily take away rights from people he disagrees with.

Authoritarian left then?

What's wrong with him?

Well.... nothing far as I see. I don't catch a lot of his reviews but IBWT is as good as his Big Picture series was and his Really that Good/Bad videos are fine to throw on in the background.

I don't use twitter so him getting into spats with....... I dunno, nazi's I guess, does not bother me.

aegix drakan:

Canadamus Prime:

Ok, I'm not sure what a "neo-liberal" is. I tried googling it, but all I got was stuff about laissez-faire economics.

That's the core thing with them.

Neo-Liberals are generally very pro-business and in favor of laissez-faire economics, and thus they tend to lean pro-war because of the power of the military industrial complex. Generally republican/conservative type positions.

They then cloak that with "But we're actually good on social issues!", but only when they have no money to lose on it. Like, there's not much money to lose if they come out in favor of LGBT issues, but they won't come out against the drug war and for-profit prisons and over-criminalization (all of which tend to more heavily impact minorities that they say they care about), all because that would impact their donors.

They also tend to lean heavily on the social issues they support, so that they appear to be on the left. You know, the "If you run against a woman, you must be sexist!" kind of shtick.

Basically, it's people like Joe Manchin, or other democrats who might claim "We hate trump, he's horrible!" but then vote in favor of his massive increases in military spending, in favor of his pick for a national security position who happens to be a known torturer and evidence burner, and against things that would actually help the people and hurt their donors like a living wage or ending the wars, etc.

Essentially, Neo-liberals are economic conservatives who just aren't horrible on social issues, and sometimes have enough of a heart to be shocked when something really big like continued mass school shootings happen. The kinds of "liberals" who say they "resist" trump with their mouth, but then vote for his policies and people with their hands.

Soo... a hypocrite. Got it.

I don't understand hate for people you don't personally know. If you don't like someone's content, why do you keep watching/following them to get to the point of hating them? I've always liked MovieBob and continue to watch his stuff. I still find his take on movies the most interesting compared all the other Youtube movie reviewers that I'm aware of. His "In Bob We Trust" is usually quite refreshing compared to whatever the idiotic thing the Internet has decided to bitch about. His Thundercats episode was exactly my reaction to the people being upset over a new Thundercats art style, which was basically "why are you upset about a kids show that isn't for you anyway?"

Another reason why I don't hate MovieBob like everyone else (it seems) is because I don't do social media because it's the worst media. Why am I going to waste my time reading what so-and-so is posting or some stupid memes when I can spend that time enjoying other content at a much higher quality bar because more thought and time goes into it instead of some gut reaction someone had to something they just saw/read/heard. Everyone is going to seem like the worst person ever if you judge people by that standard. I'm friends with a guy that completely comes off as a full-on stereotypical "MAGA-tard" on Facebook but is literally the nicest guy in person you'd probably ever meet. Thus, a person's Twitter/Facebook/whatever "persona" is not really who that person is, which is another reason why I don't do social media.

Phoenixmgs:
I don't understand hate for people you don't personally know. If you don't like someone's content, why do you keep watching/following them to get to the point of hating them? I've always liked MovieBob and continue to watch his stuff. I still find his take on movies the most interesting compared all the other Youtube movie reviewers that I'm aware of. His "In Bob We Trust" is usually quite refreshing compared to whatever the idiotic thing the Internet has decided to bitch about. His Thundercats episode was exactly my reaction to the people being upset over a new Thundercats art style, which was basically "why are you upset about a kids show that isn't for you anyway?"

Another reason why I don't hate MovieBob like everyone else (it seems) is because I don't do social media because it's the worst media. Why am I going to waste my time reading what so-and-so is posting or some stupid memes when I can spend that time enjoying other content at a much higher quality bar because more thought and time goes into it instead of some gut reaction someone had to something they just saw/read/heard. Everyone is going to seem like the worst person ever if you judge people by that standard. I'm friends with a guy that completely comes off as a full-on stereotypical "MAGA-tard" on Facebook but is literally the nicest guy in person you'd probably ever meet. Thus, a person's Twitter/Facebook/whatever "persona" is not really who that person is, which is another reason why I don't do social media.

Just because you don't look at his social media, does not excuse his actions. I avoid Twitter like plague, but his nasty attitude plagued hid videos for a long while. Nor does his "persona" excuse him either. That shit didn't work with Spoony, and look how he turned out. And for his Thundercats (a show I never cared much for to begin with) comment, I find it funny, because this the same motherfucker that said The Amazing Spider Man 2 had "broke" him, that Kevin Smith failed him (more like he put too much faith on to Smith and had super narrow high expectations), and whined like a total bitch because the recent Ninja Turtles movies weren't like the ones from his childhood. He asked to be viewed in a respectful and academic manner, while not giving the same to his peers or those that have different from views, beliefs, or ideologies. Bob's unprofessional attitude is why he got fired from this site in the first place. If you like the fucker, more power to you, but don't make shallow excuses or downplay for him acting like a delusional asshole. It's mindless self-deception and you're only hurting yourself. You have a good day sir or madame.

Regarding Thundercats... see, that's precisely the kind of thoughtful, well-considered analysis I've come to expect from Bob.

Because, really, nothing says "this show is not for you" quite like basing it on an intellectual property whose singular claim to any monetary value is nostalgia from people who were children when it was last truly relevant, 30 years ago, now does it?

I have a feeling a set of serious ''defeats'' Bob and his causes faced over the years have negatively effected him.

Bob very passionately supported the more hardcore end of the feminist movement in gaming. This movement was met with increasing pushback which eventually resulted in Gamergate. Despite his almost obsessive contempt for the movement Gamergate went on to have some successes. The end result of Gamergate is that some news outlets had to admit ''defeat'' and adjust their code of ethics which somewhat legitimates the whole ''ethics in games media'' thing bobs side liked to mock, several pro gamergate or even full blown alt right youtubers have gotten quite prominent, Sarkesian has left the gaming space and Bob himself got fired over his Gamergate behavior.

Bob very passionately comments on politics and in this arena too his side lost. He was so certain that his side would win, so supportive of Clinton and so dismissive of anyone who voted for Trump(Which isn't actually without good reason) so I think the sudden shock of the very surprising Trump victory hit him really hard. And with a Trump victory came a whole load of policies Bob really dislikes.

So his professional career was damaged and the people he despised started eclipsing him and on a national scale he saw a bunch of ''subhumans'' take over the country. Retreating into gaming might not have done him much good because for a long time it seemed his beloved Nintendo would also lose out. The Wii-U era was terrible for Nintendo and the Switch being such a success was actually quite surprising. Nintendo bounched back but for old Bob it must have seemed anything he held dear was collapsing around him and he reacted very poorly.

Smithnikov:

Silentpony:

BreakfastMan:

Authoritarian left then?

Not really, because he has absolutely zero class conciousness and defends the rich while dismissing the poor. If I had to put a label on him I'd say he's some sort of technocrat. He believes that blindly following the rich, as long as they put up a socially liberal facade, will somehow bring about a better future.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here