What are your obsessions?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

As nerds (I assume I can call everyone here that), we all have something we get nerdy about. Some of us are obsessed with anime, some of us spend thousands on Warhammer figurines, some of us go nuts for the MCU. I personally have been totally immersed in Star Trek since birth, spend way too much on Magic: The Gathering, and take pro wrestling far too seriously. So (just for something lighthearted), what about y'all?

Collecting things. Doesn't really matter what.

In high school it was old comic books, DVDs of foreign films and keychains.

These days, it's clothing, old school Japanese video games and Microblock figures with some Gacha and Happy Kitchen sprinkled in for good measure.

Monica Bellucci, Eva Green, Eva Mendes, Marisa Tomei, Annabella Sciorra.

I used to be HUGELY into video games, like for a while I only played video games, afterwards I became horror movie nerd for a while, then a regular film buff and for a bit I was really into comics, nowadays though, I still enjoy all of those things but to a much lesser extent and I guess I'm now primarily a tabletop RPG nerd, I mean I mostly play D&D 5E but I've read some pretty obscure shit and have 20GB of PDFs on y PC at the moment plus a few physical books.

Overall though, I'd say that I'm more of a Bard with bardic lore on nerdy things but without any real specialization.

Generally trying to not make people, not scientific illiterates. People who hate all chemicals and say they are universally harmful. Believing absurd compositions of various parts of Earth such as %33 of our atmosphere being oxygen and calling that "Shockingly low" and absurd remedies like drinking mass quantities of vinegar and GMOs being "fake" whatever that means.

Johnny Novgorod:

You seem to have put all you class points into one specialization.

DANEgerous:
Generally trying to not make people, not scientific illiterates. People who hate all chemicals and say they are universally harmful. Believing absurd compositions of various parts of Earth such as %33 of our atmosphere being oxygen and calling that "Shockingly low" and absurd remedies like drinking mass quantities of vinegar and GMOs being "fake" whatever that means.

A noble battle, but I fear you are fighting a tsunami with a measuring spoon. You should do a YouTube series, just quickly shooting down all the moronic stuff people believe without thinking about it.

Johnny Novgorod:

Women with at least one "a", followed by an "e" in their name?

DANEgerous:

I sympathise. But you're probably going to be happier obsessing about people's names having vowels in alphabetical order.

Several. Some are a constant in my life (books, comics, video games, beer) some come and go (pinball, board games).

I'm a bit obsessed with collecting pre-digital age anime on Blu-ray.

It can be anime that I don't even like that much, like Perfect Blue or Wings of Honneamise, but I'll buy them anyway as I adore the age when cartoons where still painted on cells, when true artistry still existed in the medium. And seeing those titles again, cleaned up in 1080p, is a little bit like experiencing them again for the first time.

The Soviet Union in general and the Red Army during World War 2 in particular. I've spent way too much time and effort learning about those two.

I don't really have anything I'm obsessed with these days. I suppose adding to my record collection is about the closest. I'll spend ?100 or so every couple of months to pick up a bunch of stuff on discogs or from the odd artist I follow.

Warhammer 40K kind of fell by the wayside. As when I was a kid, painting and actually playing just stopped motivating me.

Elder Scrolls, DnD and the MCU. They literally are some of the Pro's on my list of reasons to stay alive. I eat up every bit of MCU I can. Finished Luke Cage season 2, and ya know, a lot of Luke Cage or Jessica Jones or Daredevil easily could have been just any ol primetime drama, but that there are people with bullet proof skin or super strength, really engages me about it!

And the movies, I love every single one! Sure, have some issues here or there, but even as I complain about MJ looking and acting nothing like her...well, fucking hell, Spider-Man and Iron Man are teaming up! Woo!

Cant fucking wait or TESVI! I bet it will take place in High Rock AND Hammerfell. Been spending a lot of time prattling on about lore in the meantime, mostly about Morrowind lore though. (Fuck Michael Kirkbride though, his fanfiction is NOT CANON!)

And DnD, well, I love it! I love DMing, wish I could do it more. I would play online, but I cannot get any sort of voice communication to work, and I am admittedly, intimidated by playing with complete strangers. Until then, I am just reading up on Celtic lore for inspiration.

Lovecraft's stories, and writers from his circle/ weird fiction in general, like Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Frank Bellknap Long, Algernon Blackwood, Robert Chambers, Ramsey Campbell, etc. - and loads of more modern writers of supernatural horror literature in general- I'm downloading ghost and horror novels and short story collections every three days, and it's never enough!

However, I do not as a general rule enjoy engaging others in my passions: I'm not interested in pissing contests, nor personal critiques of my escapism.

I've had a lot of various obsessions over time but they don't tend to last longer than a couple years, I go through obsessive phases that get turned off like flicking a switch. A sort of overarching theme in a lot of my obsessions was collecting things though, I think I started with the toys in Kinder Surprises just collecting them in droves and I still have a huge jar of them collecting dust now. Then I think was Yugioh cards which was weirder because I didn't play or really know much about them but I'd just hoard them too, now they collect dust too.

Then there were those kid's activity magazines you get where you collect a new issue every week or month and use it to build something. I've got two or three binders of Mr Bean's encyclopaedia and all the stickers that came with it. Collected book series too in between all that. Redwall, Teen Power Inc, Animorphs, Discworld. At one point I just had an obsession with collecting random junk I'd find on the ground or around buildings. I remembering looting socket protectors from the physics department with alarming regularity.

Now my current, and longest serving obsession is collecting anything to do with owls, I've amassed hundreds of them to the point the house is running out of room for them. Again I don't know why, I don't know an awful lot about owls other than that i like the look of them. I've got a book that basically lists facts every species of owl on earth but I found it dry reading and mostly just look at the pictures. I'm never an expert on anything of the things I collect, or obsess over. I had a phase where I was obsessed with ninjas but I couldn't tell you a great deal about them either. That's why I never list myself as a true fan of anything because I don't study the things I like, I can think about them all the time without wanting to learn more than a brief google search.

One long standing obsession for me is Warhammer 40K. It's a ridiculous story and horrendously expensive, I take forever to finish painting the models (I have some that have been half finished for years) and I don't actually play that often, but there's something that just keeps me coming back. Possibly that ridiculousness is part of it. I tell myself I can quit GW whenever I want, but then....'we're re-releasing the Renegade box!' ugh, gotta get that and then 'Kill Team, coming in July! With new awesome kickass terrain!' god damn, what can I afford to go without this month....They've been on quite a roll for the past couple years.

Edit: I also can spend hours crafting lists and variants of lists, which tends to enable new purchases.....

I have a wide variety of interests and am always trying to make and do things so I would think one of the things I tend to " collect" is hobbies. I do not like to repeat things so am constantly doing new things. I enjoy bead working, creating miniatures, leather working, sculpting, drawing, painting, sheet metal and light art, featherworking, wood burning, wood carving, carpentry, designing and creating just about anything...

Then I also have an " obsession" with Lego, I have a room dedicated to it and I also enjoy creating Lego custom game characters as gifts for friends. I have done other types video game customs as well, but I just think the Lego ones are the best. Then there is my Retro Video game console and games " museum". When my father passed away he left me his collection of consoles which have everything from a pong to a turbo graphix 16, so I have most of all the early consoles. I personally like to collect action figures as well, and have some odd favorites like my spinning nunchucks action Callisto that sits on my desk, or my Mego Star Trek figures I had originally gave to my Dad years ago but then were given back to me.

The one thing though that I am most crazy obsessed about is glass and gas light sculptures. I get more worked up excited about these than probably anything else. I am totally in love with these:

I also collect a bit of Blenko gass, and mid century modern space age looking decor and furniture when I can get my hands on it, it is often difficult to find pieces I like though as I am partial to shades of blue like the ocean and primarily decorate with different shades of blues, green and gray.

The dozen or so boxes of Lego in my room are a bit of a giveaway...

I also like studying mythologies buts more of a career thing

Palindromemordnilap:

I also like mythologies but thats more of a professional thing

My Lego has gotten so bad I may have to take out a storage unit to store all the giant tubs of them LOL! I always grab them at yard sales and thrift shops if I see them in there even though I already have enough to build a house I could live inside of. I am not a Lego "purist" though so I love many of the Megabloks sets as well including the whole vintage dragons and king Arthur series, they have so many great unique pieces. I am a sucker for buying big lots of them on Ebay when I see statue pieces and such that I can use to build giant kingdoms. I have like every set they made in multiples HAHA!

It was difficult to not want to get more just looking for photos of examples.. HAHHA!

DANEgerous:

On one hand I get you, but on the other hand, it's just so much fun to warn people (including otherwise educated ones) about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. Like how it can cause suffocation, accelerates corrosion, is used as an industrial solvent and coolant in nuclear reactors, or in the distribution of pesticides. Truly a most heinous chemical.

Fyi, I do tell them eventually that it's just plain water and that the air we breathe, everything we eat or drink, the clothes we wear, the homes we live in, the ground we walk on and our very own bodies are fully 100% composed of chemical compounds.

Thaluikhain:

Johnny Novgorod:

Women with at least one "a", followed by an "e" in their name?

I was thinking attractive older women in their 50s, but Mendes and Green don't fit that bill.

Lil devils x:

Palindromemordnilap:

My Lego has gotten so bad I may have to take out a storage unit to store all the giant tubs of them LOL! I always grab them at yard sales and thrift shops if I see them in there even though I already have enough to build a house I could live inside of. I am not a Lego "purist" though so I love many of the Megabloks sets as well including the whole vintage dragons and king Arthur series, they have so many great unique pieces. I am a sucker for buying big lots of them on Ebay when I see statue pieces and such that I can use to build giant kingdoms. I have like every set they made in multiples HAHA!

It was difficult to not want to get more just looking for photos of examples.. HAHHA!

Eh, you see the big things like that I don't care about so much. I like the actual building, and the tinkering around with it afterwards. When they're just playsets I don't get that. Then again, my thing at the moment is getting a load of the old castle sets from the early 90s, as those are all modular in design and I want to see how big of a castle I can make just snapping them together without any actual rebuilding involved

Palindromemordnilap:

Lil devils x:

Palindromemordnilap:

Eh, you see the big things like that I don't care about so much. I like the actual building, and the tinkering around with it afterwards. When they're just playsets I don't get that. Then again, my thing at the moment is getting a load of the old castle sets from the early 90s, as those are all modular in design and I want to see how big of a castle I can make just snapping them together without any actual rebuilding involved

I think you are saying you do the same thing I do actually (in regards to building big castles). I do not build the sets the way they are supposed to be built, I buy many bulk mixed piece lots and build my own designs of multiple kingdoms out of them instead. I build giant fortresses, woods, mountains, villages both land and sea battles.. entire kingdoms and armies and such instead with the pieces. I like the " unique" pieces as I use them to decorate the kingdom. I create custom Lego people and use some of the mega bloks people parts instead as decoration within the building design itself as statues and gargoyles and other decoration instead. I too have a ton of the 90's castle set peices as well as the other castle/ medieval sets such as LOTR, Harry Potter and the Lego castle series sets. I use them all together to make massive castles and just use their parts making my own designs instead. I not only mix in pieces, and custom pieces, I create custom pieces by dying, painting, staining or inking blocks as well as creating my own decals and even going as far to acetone welding and creating my own custom pieces from other things to get the look I want. IF Lego doesn't have it I may just make it myself if I cannot find what I want elsewhere.

I am a very detailed oriented person so if it does not look exactly how I want it to, I will rebuild it though to make it look like I how I envisioned it to be, or if I come up with new ideas along the way. I create quite a few custom pieces though when I am not content with what is available. I am not afraid to mix things in as long as they look like they are supposed to be there. Welding Playmobil baby animals to Lego actually blend better with the older Lego animals than their new one do as well as finding things like flower bead caps that look better than their crappy friends flowers they have and fit on the Lego flower stems great. Things like this work well to make forests and gardens look even better:

TheVampwizimp:
As nerds (I assume I can call everyone here that), we all have something we get nerdy about. Some of us are obsessed with anime, some of us spend thousands on Warhammer figurines, some of us go nuts for the MCU.

"Nerds"? You mean geeks. Nerd refers to intelligence, Geek refers to obsession.
I've been pretty into D&D 5E.

Used to be hardcore into GW, but GW spent a lot of time seemingly intent on discouraging that.

Chimpzy:
On one hand I get you, but on the other hand, it's just so much fun to warn people (including otherwise educated ones) about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

It's always amusing when someone tries doing that, but just says hydrogen oxide and doesn't specify which. Cause hydrogen peroxide is nasty for reals.

Souplex:

Eh, people argue about the terminology.

Thaluikhain:
Used to be hardcore into GW, but GW spent a lot of time seemingly intent on discouraging that.

Spotted the Warhammer Classic player.

As for me, collecting Anime. I have an entire shelf that runs from wall to wall that's ones I won that I have yet to even watch, many still being in their wrap.

I've also bounced around a few things in the past that I've collected, with right now seeing me backing quite a few kickstarter boardgames for reasons even I haven't figured out.

the December King:
Lovecraft's stories, and writers from his circle/ weird fiction in general, like Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Frank Bellknap Long, Algernon Blackwood, Robert Chambers, Ramsey Campbell, etc. - and loads of more modern writers of supernatural horror literature in general- I'm downloading ghost and horror novels and short story collections every three days, and it's never enough!

However, I do not as a general rule enjoy engaging others in my passions: I'm not interested in pissing contests, nor personal critiques of my escapism.

Have you tried reading Sheridan Le Fanu and Arthur Machen? Those guys would be right up your alley.

Souplex:

TheVampwizimp:
As nerds (I assume I can call everyone here that), we all have something we get nerdy about. Some of us are obsessed with anime, some of us spend thousands on Warhammer figurines, some of us go nuts for the MCU.

Thank you. I now have to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out if I'm a Nerdy Geek, or a Geeky Nerd.

Of course, I'm spending a friday night doing that instead of... being social. So one of those terms should be apt enough.

ObsidianJones:

Souplex:

TheVampwizimp:

Thank you. I now have to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out if I'm a Nerdy Geek, or a Geeky Nerd.

Of course, I'm spending a friday night doing that instead of... being social. So one of those terms should be apt enough.

"Dork" refers to lack of social ability. You can be one, two, all three, or none of the above.

Souplex:

TheVampwizimp:

So, linguistics nerd. Got it ;)

David Lynch and his filmography. I wouldn't call him a role model because I'm not really one for hero worship but I think his works had a greater impact on my life and who I am right now than anyone elses. I'm not sure if I want to call it an obsession but I have a great love for almost everything he's made.

Other than that... I dunno, pretty much every franchise I like has been ruined at some point. I mean, I very consistently enjoy Star Wars but knowing some people who genuinely are obsessed with Star Wars I can tell you with some confidence that I'm not obsessed, by any means, with Star Wars. I dunno. I guess you can say I'm obsessed with movies. I love movies. I live for movies. Film is my passion. Video games too, but less so.

PsychedelicDiamond:
David Lynch and his filmography. I wouldn't call him a role model because I'm not really one for hero worship but I think his works had a greater impact on my life and who I am right now than anyone elses. I'm not sure if I want to call it an obsession but I have a great love for almost everything he's made.

Other than that... I dunno, pretty much every franchise I like has been ruined at some point. I mean, I very consistently enjoy Star Wars but knowing some people who genuinely are obsessed with Star Wars I can tell you with some confidence that I'm not obsessed, by any means, with Star Wars. I dunno. I guess you can say I'm obsessed with movies. I love movies. I live for movies. Film is my passion. Video games too, but less so.

My take from this is that you're a film buff and Lynch is your favourite movie maker.

Alien/Aliens memorabilia.
Serial killer lore.
Stage acting.
Quirky, incredibly stylized video games. Also side scrolling beat em ups.
A CCG called Shadowfist and it's associated RPG Feng Shui.
Grindhouse and Drive In era movie trailers. Not the movies themselves, just adore the trailers.
Writing screenplays that will never happen.
Chop Socky films, the worse and more obscure, the better.
Tabletop RPG's that aren't Dungeons and Dragons.

Saelune:

Cant fucking wait or TESVI! I bet it will take place in High Rock AND Hammerfell. Been spending a lot of time prattling on about lore in the meantime, mostly about Morrowind lore though. (Fuck Michael Kirkbride though, his fanfiction is NOT CANON!)

Speaking of that, someone recommended to me Legacy of the Dragonborn mod for Skyrim, and wouldn't even tell me why at the time. Besides the whole museum it's centered around, you actually get to take a trip to friggin Elseyr. If you're still playing, give it a shot.

I Collect Playstation stuff.
Mostly games, but I've also got some other things like a mugs, clothing, and various gaming accessories.

I also Collect EEVEE stuff.
I've got about 10 wallets, various cards - figurines - jewelry, etc...

My SR in OW atm. Okay, not obsessed with it, not really.

I'm obsessed with women though. Probably to an unhealthy degree. Hard to let go, as it has drilled into my subconscious and made a comfy nest.

Tanis:
I Collect Playstation stuff.
Mostly games, but I've also got some other things like a mugs, clothing, and various gaming accessories.

I also Collect EEVEE stuff.
I've got about 10 wallets, various cards - figurines - jewelry, etc...

Yea I have a friend who was obsessed with EEVEE.. so I knew just what to do.. I said " EEVEE was a sheep", had everyone else trying to convince him that EEVEE was really a sheep and he completely lost it. He lost it so bad over this that everyone started "BAAAAA'n" at him and he has a conniption fit every time he even thinks about it and will leave the room. ( Yes I know EEVEE is not a sheep, but this was just too good to pass up. ) HAHA! XD

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here