What are your obsessions?

Pages PREV 1 2

Johnny Novgorod:

Have you tried reading Sheridan Le Fanu and Arthur Machen? Those guys would be right up your alley.

Definitely Machen- I needed to experience one of the the major influential writers of the likes of Lovecraft and Klein. But Le Fanu is a new name to me- I'll look around and see what I can dig up.

the December King:

Definitely Machen- I needed to experience one of the the major influential writers of the likes of Lovecraft and Klein. But Le Fanu is a new name to me- I'll look around and see what I can dig up.

I can heartily recommend Carmilla, if you're into vampire fiction. Definitely the best pre-Stoker vampire novel I've read.

Ogoid:

the December King:

I can heartily recommend Carmilla, if you're into vampire fiction. Definitely the best pre-Stoker vampire novel I've read.

I certainly have no problems with vampires in my fiction. I'll have a look.

Also, back on topic, I love 'found-footage' horror movies. This is despite most of them having crap stories and being crap movies, I watch them all- I just fell in love with the immersive nature of the format and was definitely sold on the better examples of the genre, like The Blair Witch Project , Cloverfield, REC and Paranormal Activity (with nods to Frankenstein's Army for fucked-up visuals, and the Grave Encounters movies for some fun twists on the genre).

Actually, as of writing this, I'm currently in the middle of watching They're Watching on Netflix. So far, really enjoying the chemistry between the protag/victims, while sympathizing with these character's burdens and jobs pre-getting murdered by whatever (the main characters all work in T.V and film, and I used to, too).

Well, I don't know if I'd use the word obsession, but there are a few thing I would say I'm very passionate about

1. D&D / RPGs
- I have 2 games a week, one on Monday in which I'm a player (level 17 Revised Ranger) and one that moves depending on our schedules which I DM. I had always wanted to play D&D and after I finally got the chance the floodgates were opened. I spend way more time than I'm interested in admitting thinking about plot lines, reading lore, making characters, etc. My buddy is going to be DMing me and my girlfriend bi-weekly so we can explore some other games as well. Our first session of Fading suns is this Wednesday.

2. Batman / Comis
-Probably pretty obvious from the avatar but I love the character. While I originally only read Batman initially, I've branched out into the other DC titles much more. I actually just finished Geoff John's pre-New 52 run on Green Lantern last night. I'm just getting into the rebirth stuff any my rotation right now is Batman, Nightwing, Detective, Superman, Red Hood, and the Flash. I'll probably check out a few more as well. I enjoy the Marvel movies but for some reason I'm just not interested at all in the comics. Reading DC takes away the sting of their movies (which I don't bother with anymore) being so bad.

3. Cars
-I love cars. I love car reviews, I love car racing, I love car modifications. My mildly modded G37 (exhaust, high-flow cats, intake, tune, springs, wheels) is getting long in the tooth and I am constantly half seriously shopping for my next vehicle. Thinking a Chevy SS or a Camaro - most likely the latter just due to the pricing and (let's be honest) power.

4. The gym
I pick things up and put them down

Over the years I've had a few obsessions. When I was a kid, I had a thing for dinosaurs, when I got older, I got really into anime (and the Japanese culture). I suppose I've mostly grown out of these obsessions, but I'm still a fan.

My current obsession is the musical Hamilton, both as a fan of music and a history buff. Admittedly I only got into it fairly recently, but I'm so glad I did...

Martial Arts.

It was the only thing that made me feel... worthwhile as a kid. I spent a good time of my life doing Tae Kwon Do as most suburban kids, but I branched out into other things as I grew up.

Literally, it's one of the only things that gives me peace.

the December King:

Johnny Novgorod:

Have you tried reading Sheridan Le Fanu and Arthur Machen? Those guys would be right up your alley.

Sheridan Le Fanu is great. Very good horror writer in the Gothic tradition and a chief influence on M. R. James, if you like him. His big thing is a book called In a Glass Darkly. It's made up of five stories, the last of which is Carmilla (a novella really). Carmilla was a big influence on Stoker's Dracula, specially on creating Van Helsing (the five stories are framed as "cases" of a Dr. Hesselius) and the whole Lucy portion of the book. I've read some of his other stories and they're pretty good too, they range from folksy Faustian stuff to horror bordering on the psychological.

The big thing I'm into now is podcasts, since I don't have time to actually do things it's nice to be able to put one on while I drive or cool dinner or do dishes or work out or whatever.
What I've really been geeking out over are actual play D&D podcasts. I started out with the Adventure Zone and after I got caught up with that I started the backlogs of the Glass Cannon and Dames and Dragons.

For some reason podcasts really hot home for me as a medium, I love to read but I could never get in to audio books. I think it's because podcasts are usually broken into nice 1 hour chunks that I can jump in and out of whenever I have a few minutes

(Fuck I really want to play some actual D&D though)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here