Report: Billy Dee Williams will return for episode IX as Lando(Spoilers for TFA and TLJ)

So after being absent from the last two movies, Billy Dee Williams will finally return to the franchise as his iconic character Lando Calrissian in Episode IX.
https://www.gameinformer.com/gamer-culture/2018/07/09/report-billy-dee-williams-returns-as-lando-in-episode-ix

I like Lando, he's my favorite character from ESB, but I was honestly hoping he would not appear in the sequel trilogy for this particular reason.

Someone at Lucasfilm thinks it is funny to kill off characters from the Original Trilogy. You know killing off Han in TFA and Luke in TLJ, now Lando might get the axe.

Yes I understand Harrison Ford wanted Han to be killed for sometime and that George Lucas had planned to kill Luke in his planned sequel trilogy. But since killing off OT characters is now a recurring gag in the sequel trilogy, I fear Lando might be next. Call me paranoid.

Sources:
https://www.thewrap.com/mark-hamill-george-lucas-luke-skywalker-star-wars/

https://www.inverse.com/article/13136-harrison-ford-iss-happy-han-solo-finally-died-in-the-force-awakens

You know, I still maintain that the sequel trilogy should have been set about a hundred years after the Original Trilogy. If only because then they wouldn't have had an excuse to drag every member of the original trilogies cast out of their retirement homes. I mean, I liked Luke in Last Jedi as much as the next guy. Actually, chances are I liked Luke in Last Jedi a lot more than the next guy. But these movies are using the OT and its iconography as a crutch. I wish they'd let the past die. Kill if, if they have to. They have their spinoff movies to further explore Star War's past, just do new things with the sequel trilogy. It's not like fellating the Original Trilogy has done anything to stop angry nerds from whining at the new movies.

Eehh, can they do it in a way that isn't a blatant "oh hey woah look at this guy you remember!" way? Give him something a bit more subtle or just give the Donald Glover younger version a film of his own

So I'm guessing Flynn is actually Lando's long lost son?

WolvDragon:
So after being absent from the last two movies, Billy Dee Williams will finally return to the franchise as his iconic character Lando Calrissian in Episode IX.
https://www.gameinformer.com/gamer-culture/2018/07/09/report-billy-dee-williams-returns-as-lando-in-episode-ix

I like Lando, he's my favorite character from ESB, but I was honestly hoping he would not appear in the sequel trilogy for this particular reason.

Someone at Lucasfilm thinks it is funny to kill off characters from the Original Trilogy. You know killing off Han in TFA and Luke in TLJ, now Lando might get the axe.

Yes I understand Harrison Ford wanted Han to be killed for sometime and that George Lucas had planned to kill Luke in his planned sequel trilogy. But since killing off OT characters is now a recurring gag in the sequel trilogy, I fear Lando might be next. Call me paranoid.

Sources:
https://www.thewrap.com/mark-hamill-george-lucas-luke-skywalker-star-wars/

https://www.inverse.com/article/13136-harrison-ford-iss-happy-han-solo-finally-died-in-the-force-awakens

But luke will probably be back as a force ghost anyway, so yes he's dead, but we will see more of him i guess. plus we know that Leia will be dead in the next one, so there's your dead for ep IX

maybe they want him to do the part that Leia would have been played if Fisher didnt die...

Silentpony:

That's would be such hack writing I'm absolutely certain Abrams will do it.

Oh well, at least Wedge won't be ruined by these movies.

Well, they need somebody with canon administrative experience now that they lost Carrie Fisher.

Should be a good show.

PsychedelicDiamond:
You know, I still maintain that the sequel trilogy should have been set about a hundred years after the Original Trilogy. If only because then they wouldn't have had an excuse to drag every member of the original trilogies cast out of their retirement homes. I mean, I liked Luke in Last Jedi as much as the next guy. Actually, chances are I liked Luke in Last Jedi a lot more than the next guy. But these movies are using the OT and its iconography as a crutch. I wish they'd let the past die. Kill if, if they have to. They have their spinoff movies to further explore Star War's past, just do new things with the sequel trilogy. It's not like fellating the Original Trilogy has done anything to stop angry nerds from whining at the new movies.

Second this. Star Wars is too entrenched in its bloodlines (Skywalker), that it has become cumbersome and not longer holds value.

Zontar:

Silentpony:

That's would be such hack writing I'm absolutely certain Abrams will do it.

Oh well, at least Wedge won't be ruined by these movies.

Where is our Rogue Squadron movie adaption? Why was time spent on Jedi when you had something like this is put to the big screen.

Also, is Nien Nunb coming back too?

Well, guess we already know who the most charismatic character in the movie will be.

I have no more interest in the films. Eps VII and VIII were so awful I've simply checked out. The SW Extended Universe (now "Legends") are so much better than these films. Han, Luke, Leia and Lando were all alive as at the end of NJO, tho Chewie didn't make it. Luke and Mara Jade have a son called Ben, Han and Leia's twins (Jacen and Jaina were still doing well, tho Anakin didn't make it either).

There are so many other, better stories. These movies don't exist to tell good stories or continue our favourite characters adventures. They exist to make money and bring new fans and they've worked to some extent. I do find it funny that the movie still flopped in China despite them adding the utterly terrible Rose to it, because that's what they think Chinese filmgoers want (hint: it isn't).

KingsGambit:
I have no more interest in the films. Eps VII and VIII were so awful I've simply checked out. The SW Extended Universe (now "Legends") are so much better than these films. Han, Luke, Leia and Lando were all alive as at the end of NJO, tho Chewie didn't make it. Luke and Mara Jade have a son called Ben, Han and Leia's twins (Jacen and Jaina were still doing well, tho Anakin didn't make it either).

There are so many other, better stories. These movies don't exist to tell good stories or continue our favourite characters adventures. They exist to make money and bring new fans and they've worked to some extent. I do find it funny that the movie still flopped in China despite them adding the utterly terrible Rose to it, because that's what they think Chinese filmgoers want (hint: it isn't).

I concur, the sequel trilogy is pretty meh to me, I only enjoyed Solo and Rogue One honestly.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here