Things you never grew up with.

Pages PREV 1 2

CoCage:
*snip*

I should probably mention, I'm from australia, and when I was growing up we had very limited access to anime. It was almost never on tv, though we had 1 channel (cable wasn't a thing here til the mid-late 90s) that *might* play one or two movies a year (unless you count the american versions of Robotech and Astroboy, which were played as saturday morning cartoons). Usually Akira and Ninja Scroll, though I definitely remember seeing Urotsukidoji once or twice.

Hell, if you can point me in the direction of some stuff that's like the old cyberpunk(ish) and crime anime I used to watch, I'd appreciate it.

As a kid I gamed mostly on PC and when I got a console it was a PlayStation 1 before I jumped onto the 360 when that generation started.

I didn't get a PS2 until my late teens so I never really grew up with any of the best known names of that era. A bit of a shame since I imagine I would've loved to play "Okami" or the PS2 era "Prince of Persia" trilogy or basically any of the games I've picked up for it since besides the horror games.

Samtemdo8:
snip

Jeremy never clicked with me, as review style I never liked, and it's barely improved. Angry Joe got worse, but even back then, at his "best" he had his moments in gaming and movies. For example, insulting anyone that did not like Transformers 2 back in 2009. And I dropped him in 2016, because his reviews got way too long, and were just full of padding regurgitating the same thing or gag filler. His attitudes on twitter and on some of his YouTube videos were not helping either.

DarthCoercis:

CoCage:
*snip*

I should probably mention, I'm from australia, and when I was growing up we had very limited access to anime. It was almost never on tv, though we had 1 channel (cable wasn't a thing here til the mid-late 90s) that *might* play one or two movies a year (unless you count the american versions of Robotech and Astroboy, which were played as saturday morning cartoons). Usually Akira and Ninja Scroll, though I definitely remember seeing Urotsukidoji once or twice.

Hell, if you can point me in the direction of some stuff that's like the old cyberpunk(ish) and crime anime I used to watch, I'd appreciate it.

Wicket City
Cyber City Oedo 808
Gunsmith Cats
Fist of the Northstar
Fist of the Bluesky - Don't expect up a follow up unfortunately.
Big O
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Redline - Racing movie that combines Fast n Furious with Wacky Races. It's that awesome.
Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Black Lagoon - I don't like it, but the show will do wonders for you.

CoCage:

Samtemdo8:
snip

Jeremy never clicked with me, as review style I never liked, and it's barely improved. Angry Joe got worse, but even back then, at his "best" he had his moments in gaming and movies. For example, insulting anyone that did not like Transformers 2 back in 2009. And I dropped him in 2016, because his reviews got way too long, and were just full of padding regurgitating the same thing or gag filler. His attitudes on twitter and on some of his YouTube videos were not helping either.

DarthCoercis:

CoCage:
*snip*

Wicket City
Cyber City Oedo 808
Gunsmith Cats
Fist of the Northstar
Redline - Racing movie that combines Fast n Furious with Wacky Races. It's that awesome.

He LIKED Transformers 2?!

Practically the most universally panned movie of all the Bayformers movies?!

ObsidianJones:

And speaking about weird things for Sports... Why aren't games like Soccer, Volleyball, and Baseball officially Co-ed? I'd legitimately be more interested in some sports if they were co-ed because you're drawing the best of the entire world, not just a segment.

Regarding Volleyball... The gender difference is actually silly when you watch the games. Mens net is 6" higher than womens (to a total of 8') and men are still absolutely crushing volleyballs. Mens game is all about raw power and setting up your strongest attack, womens is more about placement and tactics generally.

Lower levels can play co-ed but again men tend to have a natural advantage (i.e. height) but there are other factors as well.

Samtemdo8:

CoCage:

Samtemdo8:
snip

DarthCoercis:

Wicket City
Cyber City Oedo 808
Gunsmith Cats
Fist of the Northstar

Yep. He took down the original video years ago to save face, but somebody backed up his response video on people that criticized his review.

I didn't have an N64, and the only games I played on my PSX were FFVII, Chrono Cross, and more FFVII; after the PSX, I had a Gamecube. Basically, I missed the entirety of the "collect-a-thon" genre. As a result of that, the fervent nostalgia some folks have for DK64, Spyro, Crash, or Banjo-Kazooie is utterly baffling to me. In fact, ANY game with a whiff of "collect 100+ of a thing to get the golden ending!" was an instant turn-off to me, and is likely the biggest reason why I haven't played ANY Mario game post-SMW that wasn't an RPG.

Friends. Kinda. It's not like I didn't play well with others, I just happened to be a loner-type for about half my school years. I got some friends later in high school so I wasn't a complete weirdo, but most weekends were still me at home with games and Internet, for good or for ill.

Friends. The series. Really, a lot of the silly, inoffensive sitcoms other people remember fondly just didn't appeal to me. Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, Full House... and yet, "Married... With Children" was an utter delight for my rebellious self back in 2000.

Star Wars.

I only came into being my own person capable of appreciating the world around me at the time Revenge of the Sith came out. I saw the previous two, but can't remember seeing them at all. I thought it was fun enough, but it apparently didn't catch me the way the series tends to catch people. I don't know why and I'm not too good at self-examination. One thing I did grow up with was the endless praise of the original trilogy and the condemnation of the prequel trilogy. I only sat down to watch the original three a few years ago and they didn't really catch me either. The odd thing is I did grow up playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 over and over again, so it's not as if I was not aware of the goings on. I will admit I still don't know what plot, theme and sound elements come from what time period. I wasn't aware until recently my favourite music from the whole thing apart from the Imperial March came from The Phantom Menace.

Samtemdo8:

I liked it too. Moreso than the first one.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Samtemdo8:

I actually liked the first movie, to the point I even own the DVD because really it blew me away with its special effects.

But then I discovered internet culture and everyone hates it. Thanks Moviebob :P

To say I "grew up" without this is a bit misleading since I only grew up until about the age of 6 or 7 when I learned better, but I grew up without a understanding of racial differences. My father is Hispanic; his skin is brown, the color of a Hershey's kiss. My mother is black; her skin is fair, the complexion of a white person with a fading tan; I am my father's complexion, and my sisters are my mother's complexion. I had an Indian friend in 1st or 2nd grade who had white parents. Another friend was white, as was his mom, but his father and older brother were both black. I say all that to say that due to the lack of "uniformity" or "continuity" I saw from day to day between the parents and children close to me, it took me until early grade school years to understand "how babies work" and that adoption, interracial marriage and step relatives were a thing. (I also learned about that time that "Uncle Ronnie" who visited from Atlanta a couple times a year and took my sisters on vacation (without me!) was actually my mom's ex-husband, my sisters' father.) I.e.: I thought a white father and a black mother could have a Chinese child and that skin tone and ethnic features were like markings on individual puppies from the same litter, arbitrary. If only we could all hang on to such naive innocence, or better yet, were it only TRUE, the world would be a different place.

Samtemdo8:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Samtemdo8:

I actually liked the first movie, to the point I even own the DVD because really it blew me away with its special effects.

But then I discovered internet culture and everyone hates it. Thanks Moviebob :P

If you like it, you like it. No one can take that away from you. I used to like the first one, but I can't even be engaged by the special effects anymore. I hated two, and 3 & 4 were slightly better, but not by much. I did not bother with 5, because it was more of the same shit. I don't even own the DVDs anymore. I rather watch the new Ninja Turtle movies (which gets way too much hate). Thanks again, Bob. While Bay is the producer, he was mostly hands off. In fact, he actually prevented thing from becoming worse during production, if rumors are true. Plus, they're not 3 hours long, so I don't have to keep hitting the skip button to get to the good stuff. It's too bad there won't be a sequel to Out of the Shadows.

CoCage:

Samtemdo8:

PsychedelicDiamond:

If you like it, you like it. No one can take that away from you. I used to like the first one, but I can't even be engaged by the special effects anymore. I hated two, and 3 & 4 were slightly better, but not by much. I did not bother with 5, because it was more of the same shit. I don't even own the DVDs anymore. I rather watch the new Ninja Turtle movies (which gets way too much hate). Thanks again, Bob. While Bay is the producer, he was mostly hands off. In fact, he actually prevented thing from becoming worse during production, if rumors are true. Plus, they're not 3 hours long, so I don't have to keep hitting the skip button to get to the good stuff. It's too bad there won't be a sequel to Out of the Shadows.

The trailers for the first movie are legend at this point to me.

I don't even think I was in grade school when I learned Santa wasn't real. Hard thing seeing all my classmates excited. I remember getting in trouble and being sent to the principle when I didn't want to participate in writing letters to Santa before Winter break.

So i guess I grew up without a sense of wonder:

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or