Poll: Henry Cavill is Geralt

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Superman has just been cast as Geralt in the upcoming Netflix adaptation of The Witcher books.
https://www.pcgamer.com/henry-cavill-will-play-geralt-in-netflixs-witcher-series/

The show will be based on books instead of CDPR's games. And apparently Cavill is a big fan. He's read the books and played through the games and he really wanted this role.

I think he can do an OK job. Even if he's not a very good actor, witchers aren't very emotionally expressive anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. It could work to his advantage.

Your thoughts?

I was thinking they should perhaps go for someone like Mads Mikkelsen, but I suppose Cavill will do. They can always grizzle him up with make-up.

Keanu Reeves would knock it out the park, I reckon.

:p

I mean if you just need someone to be a big ol' slab of meat for a role sure. Which, to be fair, does have most of Geralt's grim and dour range down

Honestly, I'd rather a good no name.

It's a horrible example from a horrible movie, but it's like how the Rock played Roadblock in the GI Joe movie. Those people who tuned in weren't expecting a faithful representation of Roadblock, but they just wanted to see the Rock be big and huge.

The bigger the name, the less it becomes about that character.

Eh, Ryan Renolds bounced back from the fallout of Green Lantern by being Deadpool.

I don't see why Henry can't? And Henry is a gamer through and through. He says on his Twitter he plays the Witcher 3 and in an interview with Conan he was busy playin World of Warcraft when he missed a call to reprise his role as Supes in BvS:

ObsidianJones:
Honestly, I'd rather a good no name.

The last time a video game based movie hired a bunch of no names.....it did not end well:

There is a reason why the Orcs were the better part of the movie because holy shit what an injustice the Human charcaters and Alliance players at large.

I like Henry Cavill, but he might be a bit too beefy and typically American looking for the part. Geralt has a very lean, almost emaciated, physique. We'll see, I guess.

Casual Shinji:
I like Henry Cavill, but he might be a bit too beefy and typically American looking for the part. Geralt has a very lean, almost emaciated, physique. We'll see, I guess.

Didn't people compared Geralt's Witcher 3 appearence to Snake from Metal Gear?

Casual Shinji:

Pretty much. He's not my first choice for that. Like pretty much everyone, that would have been Mads Mikkelsen for me. Cavill is too young and too pretty. But hey, maybe he's gonna pull it off.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Casual Shinji:

Pretty much. He's not my first choice for that. Like pretty much everyone, that would have been Mads Mikkelsen for me. Cavill is too young and too pretty. But hey, maybe he's gonna pull it off.

I absolutely cannot see Mads Mikkelsen in a "fighting giant monster" type role at all. Why is he such a popular choice?

Eh, I dunno. He just doesn't seem old enough. I just can't see him playing the "grizzled old badass" archetype, he always ends up in the "young cocky hotshot" rolls.

Samtemdo8:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Casual Shinji:

I absolutely cannot see Mads Mikkelsen in a "fighting giant monster" type role at all. Why is he such a popular choice?

Because he looks ruggedly handsome, lean and vaguely slavic.

Samtemdo8:

He quite literally fought giant monsters in Clash of the Titans though. Plus he has the face and stoicism to pull it off with class.

Samtemdo8:

1) Because he totally looks the part, and 2) because witchers don't need to look physically impossing. Vesemir is an old, dumpy looking dude, but he's still got those witcher mutations. Considering the world of The Witcher (or The Witcher 3 at least) it fits way more to have these old, mutated monster slayers look significantly fucked up and wheathered, than to have them look like typical handsome badasses.

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

1) Because he totally looks the part, and 2) because witchers don't need to look physically impossing. Vesemir is an old, dumpy looking dude, but he's still got those witcher mutations. Considering the world of The Witcher (or The Witcher 3 at least) it fits way more to have these old, mutated monster slayers look significantly fucked up and wheathered, than to have them look like typical handsome badasses.

Eh, the movie The Hunt prevents me from seeing him as a Witcher?

The reason the recent Superman films failed was not because of the actors.

Henry Cavill was not my first pick, he did not even register on my radar as a possibility, but now that he's been cast I can see him pulling it off.

The Make Up team was going to have to do a ton of work no matter who played the part, might as well use a name that will put bums in seats that aren't already fans of the universe.

Are we gonna complain about a popular Western actor taking a minority's role?

No?

Poles are their own ethnic group.

So long as they don't photoshop his lips again he might be ok.

SupahEwok:

No?

Geralt isn't Polish.

SupahEwok:

No?

I mean an English company taking a series of works that has been translated into English and sold incredibly well to English consumers is making a series in English and casting native-English speaking actors.

Wait until there are black actors/no black actors in the series and the fallout we get from that.

Casual Shinji:

Yeah, add "too young looking" to that, and you have my opinion.

But hey, maybe in this take he will show he's capable, who knows.

Samtemdo8:

Eh, the movie The Hunt prevents me from seeing him as a Witcher?

Wow, it's like ACTORS can play different roles.

How about this movie, then?

Anyway, i never expected Mikkelsen to be casted, so not terribly dissapointed about that. My "reasonable" pick was Josh Holloway.

SupahEwok:

No?

Yes West-Russians are an ethnic group, but they never seemed to mind being represented by foreigners in the past

CyanCat47:

West-Russians

[TRIGGERS IN SLAVIC]

Cavill was pretty good in Tudors, and i enjoyed his preformance in The Man From UNCLE
The problem with the new superman movies is that they are pure brooding, angst and edge when it comes to script. Even Ian McKellan would sound terrible shouting "SAVE- MARTHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" under the boot of an equally angstily scripted Patrick Stewart.

CyanCat47:
Cavill was pretty good in Tudors, and i enjoyed his preformance in The Man From UNCLE
The problem with the new superman movies is that they are pure brooding, angst and edge when it comes to script. Even Ian McKellan would sound terrible shouting "SAVE- MARTHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" under the boot of an equally angstily scripted Patrick Stewart.

At least keep Geralt's humor completely dry please.

I mean he wasn't Tony Stark when it comes to personality :P

CyanCat47:

I kind of want to see those two act that out just to marvel at the spectacle of it. Then again, those two are good friends off set and might just do it for fun anyway.

CyanCat47:

SupahEwok:

No?

Yes West-Russians are an ethnic group, but they never seemed to mind being represented by foreigners in the past

Just because Slavs aren't bothered by it doesn't mean it's not an issue. We're busy being offended on the behalf of the slavic peoples.

CyanCat47:

Okay, you say it would sound terrible but I really want to see it...

MrCalavera:

CyanCat47:

West-Russians

[TRIGGERS IN SLAVIC]

Sorry, my bad. What's the correct term, East Prussians, South Sweedes or North Austrians?

CyanCat47:

MrCalavera:

CyanCat47:

West-Russians

[TRIGGERS IN SLAVIC]

Sorry, my bad. What's the correct term, East Prussians, South Sweedes or North Austrians?

God damn. That's harsh.

How about name them after the areas taken in the partitions like Silensian?

SupahEwok:

No?

No, because no-one complained about non-British actors getting roles in Lord of the Rings.

trunkage:

CyanCat47:

MrCalavera:

[TRIGGERS IN SLAVIC]

God damn. That's harsh.

How about name them after the areas taken in the partitions like Silensian?

I suppose we could go with Galician which is what they were called under the Austro-Hungarian empire, but since they have regained independence i think we should go back to calling them Lower-Lithuanians

vallorn:

CyanCat47:

SupahEwok:

No?

Just because Slavs aren't bothered by it doesn't mean it's not an issue. We're busy being offended on the behalf of the slavic peoples.

Last time british people did that, WW1 broke out

CyanCat47:

MrCalavera:

CyanCat47:

West-Russians

[TRIGGERS IN SLAVIC]

Well, i personally would preffer Bigger Czechs. No worries tho, i can see how slav identity might be a confusing subject for a North Dane :^)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here