Poll: Henry Cavill is Geralt

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

MrCalavera:

CyanCat47:

MrCalavera:

[TRIGGERS IN SLAVIC]

Sorry, my bad. What's the correct term, East Prussians, South Sweedes or North Austrians?

Well, i personally would preffer Bigger Czechs. No worries tho, i can see how slav identity might be a confusing subject for a North Dane :^)

I resent that. i'm a proud West Fin, not some lowly North Dane

I am looking forward to see him haggling over the cost a book to learn about a monster, or wandering aimlessly for an hour looking for that last herb so he can make his potion.

008Zulu:
I am looking forward to see him haggling over the cost a book to learn about a monster, or wandering aimlessly for an hour looking for that last herb so he can make his potion.

Yeah but that's what turns a kill quests into something interesting.... nesting a fetch quest inside it.

008Zulu:

"Hey buddy, how about a game of Gwent?"

I always pictured Jurgen Prochnow for the role - his face is super gnarled, and he has the sternest looking face.

If the show doesn't work, it probably won't be Cavill's fault because it isn't an especially demanding role. Put a grey wig on someone and make him scowl; that's all the Witcher really is. The difficulty is in updating the story to a standard higher than that of a typical videogame plot.

MrCalavera:

008Zulu:

"Hmmm, talking to myself about what I see... in incomplete sentences."

CyanCat47:

vallorn:

CyanCat47:

Yes West-Russians are an ethnic group, but they never seemed to mind being represented by foreigners in the past

Just because Slavs aren't bothered by it doesn't mean it's not an issue. We're busy being offended on the behalf of the slavic peoples.

Last time british people did that, WW1 broke out

"War declared over Netlix TV series" would be an interesting headline and right up there with "The Football War" and "The War Of The Bucket"

MrCalavera:

008Zulu:

Suddenly the show becomes a Gambling Anime.

Samtemdo8:

ObsidianJones:
Honestly, I'd rather a good no name.

The last time a video game based movie hired a bunch of no names.....it did not end well:

There is a reason why the Orcs were the better part of the movie because holy shit what an injustice the Human charcaters and Alliance players at large.

I still think that entire movie should have been animated, just make it a 2 hour long Blizzard cinematic.

Zeraki:

Samtemdo8:

ObsidianJones:
Honestly, I'd rather a good no name.

The last time a video game based movie hired a bunch of no names.....it did not end well:

There is a reason why the Orcs were the better part of the movie because holy shit what an injustice the Human charcaters and Alliance players at large.

I still think that entire movie should have been animated, just make it a 2 hour long Blizzard cinematic.

And Blizzard has proven they are capable:

As if it wasn't controversial enough, Ciri is gonna be casted with a non-white actor:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/09/07/the-witcher-netflix-series-ciri-white-changes

Samtemdo8:
As if it wasn't controversial enough, Ciri is gonna be casted with a non-white actor:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/09/07/the-witcher-netflix-series-ciri-white-changes

Presumably a major requirement of the actress is that she doesn't mind erratic capitalisation.

Samtemdo8:

As long as the writers don't go off the reservation and decide that she's Geralt's one true love or something. A friend of mine brought this up in conversation when discussing Geralt's other shagging options. They were of the opinion that anyone that rolled Geralt/Ciri needed Jesus.

Samtemdo8:

A few minutes doesn't equate to 2 hours. It wouldn't even equate to 90 minutes.

I mean, it would be neat, but the budget would be astronomical.

Samtemdo8:

I was wondering if/when this was going to be brought up.

TBH, while I know very little of the Witcher, I can certainly see the points of why Ciri should be white in this case. But what saddens me most of all is that if a BAME actress is chosen, she's going to be the one people take it out on. Kinda like the Starfire actress for Titans, only given how fanatical the Witcher fanbase seems to be, much worse.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

A few minutes doesn't equate to 2 hours. It wouldn't even equate to 90 minutes.

I mean, it would be neat, but the budget would be astronomical.

Samtemdo8:

I was wondering if/when this was going to be brought up.

TBH, while I know very little of the Witcher, I can certainly see the points of why Ciri should be white in this case. But what saddens me most of all is that if a BAME actress is chosen, she's going to be the one people take it out on. Kinda like the Starfire actress for Titans, only given how fanatical the Witcher fanbase seems to be, much worse.

Honestly why can't these people just have Ciri be casted with a white actress?

Calling it now, any criticism directed at the show will be met with racism accusations. That's the only reason they're making this change. This poor girl is gonna be a lightning rod for abuse because the staff have no faith in their work.

The only thing I can usually see Cavill pulling off is standing around posing as a male model. But who knows, maybe one day he'll play a part where he has to pull an expression, and I'll reconsider that assessment.

RaikuFA:
Calling it now, any criticism directed at the show will be met with racism accusations. That?s the only reason they?re making this change. This poor girl is gonna be a lightning rod for abuse because the staff have no faith in their work.

That will be the excuse if the show flops big time. It's the "new all female" Ghostbusters all over again - also happened with other movies, games and the like, of course.

Agema:
The only thing I can usually see Cavill pulling off is standing around posing as a male model. But who knows, maybe one day he'll play a part where he has to pull an expression, and I'll reconsider that assessment.

Luckily he won't have to do anything that challenging as Geralt.

Honestly I think this is the ideal role for him. He doesn't even need to act any different than he did as Superman (and this time, the woodenness and lack of range will make sense).

008Zulu:

Personally, I hope they have loads of sex scenes, but instead of having sex with him all the women just give him cards with erotic drawings on them and he goes and jacks off in a corner.

Samtemdo8:

Same reason they didn't cast a Slavic guy as Geralt. But I guess skin tone is what matters.

RaikuFA:
Calling it now, any criticism directed at the show will be met with racism accusations. That?s the only reason they?re making this change. This poor girl is gonna be a lightning rod for abuse because the staff have no faith in their work.

...so they know the fan base is going to be racist?

altnameJag:

Samtemdo8:

Same reason they didn't cast a Slavic guy as Geralt. But I guess skin tone is what matters.

In the latter case, name a Slavic actor that speaks English and can act good?

altnameJag:

Samtemdo8:

Apparently, Ciri's skin tone does matter in the Witcher mythos, in that it's a sign of her ancestry (something about elves), said ancestors being pale skinned. So, if Ciri's skin is changed, either her forebears have to be changed, or her backstory has to be changed.

evilthecat:

Personally, I hope they have loads of sex scenes, but instead of having sex with him all the women just give him cards with erotic drawings on them and he goes and jacks off in a corner.

Is he facing the wall or into the room? I'm not really sure of the etiquette.

Hawki:
Apparently, Ciri's skin tone does matter in the Witcher mythos, in that it's a sign of her ancestry (something about elves), said ancestors being pale skinned. So, if Ciri's skin is changed, either her forebears have to be changed, or her backstory has to be changed.

There's a ton of stuff that they'll have to change just to accommodate a non-white Ciri. At the very least Nilfgaardians will have to be changed into whatever skin color Ciri is. And for what reason? There's really no good reason to deviate from source material other than to pander to a specific demographic or to force your own political ideology into a project. One thing is clear - the decision wasn't made because it was the best thing for the show. It was done for political reasons. And I can't help but wonder what else have they decided to change for political reasons. Because this is probably just the first change of many. May not even be the worst change.

I was secretly hoping that they'd offer the role to Emma Watson. She would have been a great Ciri IMHO.

So now they're "minority-casting" Ciri, the character described to have pale skin and ashen hair?

Some people just can't help themselves, can they? 🤦

Samtemdo8:

Casual Shinji:
I like Henry Cavill, but he might be a bit too beefy and typically American looking for the part. Geralt has a very lean, almost emaciated, physique. We'll see, I guess.

Didn't people compared Geralt's Witcher 3 appearance to Snake from Metal Gear?

I think Geralt is much closer to Brad Pitt in Troy. Obviously ripped and meaty but not jacked like a bodybuilder or power lifter. Athletic muscle. Cavil is definitely on the bulkier side, but that looks good on his frame and it will show underneath the leather armor and furs Geralt typically wears.

Edit: Plus, he can always size down. In Immortals he had a much more Geralt-esque physique image

OT: I feel pretty positively about it. While I am not a fan of most of the DC movies I don't lay that at Cavil's feet. I actually thought Man of Steel was decent and Cavil is pretty good when he's handed decent material. He's great in the new Mission Impossible for instance. Plus, as stated above, he's a fan of the games and books and it seems like he's passionate about the project.

Trying to cast a non white actress for Ciri seems weird considering her appearance is defined by the color white. White hair, white skin, with clothing.

If they did it to be more diverse then why not just introduce a character from Zerakenia? That way you got your diversity characters while you also have the chance to expand the Witcher world with info about an exotic locale, without adding in the controversy.

Hades:
If they did it to be more diverse then why not just introduce a character from Zerakenia? That way you got your diversity characters while you also have the chance to expand the Witcher world with info about an exotic locale, without adding in the controversy.

Or at least do this to another character, one whose ancestry doesn't matter much. Say, possibly Dandelion (if only to have him played by Donald Glover), or to pick a lesser change, make Yennefer brownish-skinned, say Middle-Eastern, since she's dark-haired and dark-eyed. Triss, of course, has to be red-headed; and I hope the oppressed redhead minority would raise havoc if her physcial appearance were to be as heavily changed as Ciri's.

Samtemdo8:

altnameJag:

Samtemdo8:

In the latter case, name a Slavic actor that speaks English and can act good?

I mean, they hired Cavill.

bluegate:
So now they're "minority-casting" Ciri, the character described to have pale skin and ashen hair?

Some people just can't help themselves, can they? 🤦

I'm sure they just hired the best person for the job without regard for identity politics.

The article says they're looking for anyone who would fall under the BAME categorisation, not specifically someone black. Perhaps the idea is getting someone mixed race, to deliberately highlight the character's mixed ancestry

Casual Shinji:
I like Henry Cavill, but he might be a bit too beefy and typically American looking for the part. Geralt has a very lean, almost emaciated, physique. We'll see, I guess.

I don't mind Cavill, and it's really good that they have someone who's familiar and passionate about the franchise, and knows the character he'll be playing. I doubt they'll go the brick shit-house physique of Superman, which I think most people here base their perception of his physique on. And that magnificent jaw of his is gonna be covered by a beard anyway. I think he's a good pick.

But Ciri, oh dear. I finally realized the fundamental difference between Europeans and Americans in this regard: Americans care about ethnic/racial representation, Europeans care about national representation. And I don't think Americans really understand the latter. By american thinking, I'm more able to relate to, say, Dominic Toretto from the Fast and Furious movies, because he's white. And maybe that's true. But he's still an american actor portraying an american character in an american film. His entire culture, mindset and background are fundamentally different from mine, since I'm finnish.

Considering the status the Witcher books have in Poland (to my understanding) and what a point of national pride they are for a country that's been shafted pretty much for its entire history, I do think it's genuinely disrespectful to the source material as well as the country to so blatantly bring an american point of view about ethnic representation to it. I can only think how wrong it would feel if Hollywood adapted something like Kalevala or the Unknown Soldier, and just switched some characters' ethnicities for no other reason than "representation".

And it's also disrespectful towards the actual ethnicities they're trying to empower, and lazy on the writers' part to just color swap a character. Why couldn't they make an original character? The Witcher universe is pretty much infinitely malleable in this regard, and the Netflix series seems to be a total standalone. Hell, they could make a major character an ofieri prince or something. Original character, new element to the franchise, new point of view, representation points a go-go. Everyone wins. But NooOoOOOOoooOOooo.

Makes sense.

I mean, you'd otherwise need to with somebody whiter than Geralt, and they cast Henry Cavill for that. Not a lot of breathing space going whiter than that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here