The last Overhyped thing that let you down. (Spoilers will probably be discussed)

So, I saw a Quiet Place last night. It's one of those pieces of media that falls strictly under 'Good premise, poor execution' (and being oddly familiar).

But then... the story just breaks its own rules all over the place.

Look, I don't mind B-Horror movies. I don't even mind highbrow horror movies. But when you talk to me of intelligence and you ignore the world break moments, I'm taken right out of the movie.

Any thing you guys have to share?

Metal Gear Solid V. To be fair, it didn't catch me off guard, I saw the writing on the wall with that one well before it came out but even I didn't expect that it would be that awful.

Anything more recent than that? Don't think so. I rarely ever expect anything anymore. There are a few things that I'm sad turned out the way they did, like Justice League, but at least I saw it coming from mile away.

Undertale would fit into that slot neatly.

Heard that Quiet Place is more enjoyed for its' gimmick than it being a solid movie before. Don't Breathe probably does it better, but I cannot compare the two having only seen one.

Thor 3. Everyone called it the best Marvel movie ever, better than everything, the best, better than you, Oh its just SO good and yadda yadda.
And it was okay. Better than Thor 2, about the same as Thor 1, and overall close to the upper middle of Marvel movies.

The Shape of Water

I would never call it a bad movie -- it's visually too striking for that -- but it certainly didn't deliver on the promised unique woman-and-fishman love story. There's simply no real connection between Eliza and the fishman, other than her feeling sorry for him being tortured. There's a montage that shows them bonding, which is a really poor way to show characters bond. The fishman shows no real character or personality, behaving mostly just like an animal, making the sex scene (which we don't even get to see, she's just naked and hugging him) feel a bit questionable. There's also two moments Eliza acts monumentally stupid.

For all its supposed courage in showing a relationship between human and beast, Disney's Beauty and the Beast did it better back in the 90's. But to make a more fair comparison; Peter Jackson's King Kong had stronger chemistry between its human character and monster. Which makes me think the only thing Shape of Water was praised for was the implied sex between human and beast.

Probably The Hobbit movie(s). I can't put my finger exactly on what let me down. Maybe it was when it portrayed Thorin as a mini-Aragon that it began to lose me.

Possibly influenced by you picking a horror movie, but I think I have to go with It Follows. I was told it had a clever concept with an inte.ligent monster and...neither of those were really true, in my opinion. Yeah the curse is an STD metaphor but vampires have been doing that shtick for decades now so its not that different or unique, and the Follower is only clever or subtle if the movie wants it to be for a plot thing at that moment

You know that one thing that you really like? It was just kinda crap, you should feel bad for liking it and this is proof you have no taste.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Yeah, I do get hyped, at least in the internal sense (as in, you won't find me making threads along the lines of "X is coming out, I'm excited, are you excited, and if not, why?") Heck, I saw Black Klansman a few days ago, and that let me down as well. Now, neither of these were the biggest letdowns in the world (go a few years back and look at my reaction to Force Awakens for example), but I think it's natural to anticipate things. Sometimes, you're going to be disappointed.

Now if you excuse me, I have to temper my hopes/expectations for 'The Predator' (please don't suck, please don't suck...)

Worgen:
You know that one thing that you really like? It was just kinda crap, you should feel bad for liking it and this is proof you have no taste.

But... that one thing... IT WAS YOU!!!

*duh duh duuuunnnn!!*

I'm going to pick an...obvious choice to say the least. No Man's Sky. So many promises, so little of them actually kept. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the game, and I revisit it every now and then. And the updates have made it a lot better. But at the start...well, you all know the story by now. :P

Battlefield 1. I've played every entry in the series but 1 is the first one I actually wanted to buy after 1942, because it advertised a return to an actual historical war and looked like it actually gave a damn about the conflict as well.

Then it comes out and it's like Black Hawk Down on steroids

Fuck you, Battlefield 1. Your battles are pathetic.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Metal Gear Solid V. To be fair, it didn't catch me off guard, I saw the writing on the wall with that one well before it came out but even I didn't expect that it would be that awful.

I feel much the same way. I didn't play it until earlier this year so I knew people were disappointed in it, but I'd also heard it was a lot of fun. I think the problem was I played as the finale of a Metal Gear Marathon playing all 8 games in the story in release order(most of them for the first time), so I was really invested by that point. So the messy story/characters/mission structure really felt like a letdown for me. The fact the game was in many ways a AAA remake of Peace Walker, except without the emotional/plot resonance that Peace Walker had didn't help either. While I did like the gameplay in the FOX engine, I was also ready to be done with the whole thing by that point so faffing about with the cardboard box wasn't as engaging as it could have been.

Dragon Age Inquisition - what a dull, disappointing mediocre game. I usually expect little from things, but because I love the DA franchise, I foolishly allowed myself to hope that it wouldn't be garbage. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again.

Legend of Korra - After an abysmal two seasons, I was pissed. Really pissed. Unlikable cast, retconning of established lore that makes no sense, and the fucking love triangle no gives a shit about. Season 3 fixed some of this, only to screw up again in season 4 with some of the same issues. After the series ended, I began to hate the series more and more, until I stopped giving a crap and sold all of my LoK DVDs to Books a Million. I still have my box sets of the original Avatar series. The first show wasn't perfect either and plenty of problems, but whatever flaws were in the writing, Mike and Bryan got worse never improved as they went in to the sequel. If another series is ever made, I want it to either ignore the 2nd show or take place in an AU altogether. And keep them off the writing or directing staff.

Dragonball Z Buu Saga - Finally killed my interest in anything DBZ related. GT had its problems, but it still better than that and Super (more of the same bullshit with even more retcons).

Adventure Time Season 4 & 5 - The writers got egos got really inflated, Finn got unlikable, Princess Bubblegum became one of my most hated characters, and the show got boring. I know some people will claim that the writer fixed most of the issues, but the damage was already done. I might see the finale just so I can see how the series end, but I'm skipping all of the bullshit before it.

Street Fighter V (Vanilla) - Oh, Capcom put out a $60.00 beta. I'm not buying. Before anyone starts with Arcade edition, yes, they improved on a lot of features and characters. That still doesn't excuse all of the season pass DLC, the fight money that ain't worth shit and forces you to pay for those extra costumes so you won't be bored trying to unlock them. At this point, I am just waiting for an ultra version of V that has the entire roster without the paywall. See Blaze Blue Cross Tag Battle for similar reasons. Y'all are not hurting for cash, you're just that fucking greedy. It's reasons like this, I find it harder and harder to play fighting games.

Black Panther - Yeah, yeah, there's socio-political commentary woven in, the cast is practically a color-inversion of the typical action movie, Killmonger has a point, the message about understanding that it's not right to put the previous generation on a pedestal is clear without beating the audience over the head... By all accounts, I should like Black Panther a lot. And yet, I just don't. Maybe it's the unrelenting special effects, maybe I was preemptively dreading all the philosophical and sociological navel-gazing, probably it felt like the movie was jogging in place, waiting for Infinity War to hurry up and happen. Whatever the case, I found it to be horridly blah.

Relationships - Had it a few times. Kinda meh, overall. Sometimes smelly. I will never understand anyone who goes crazy out of loneliness or a desire to make the sex.

Avengers: Infinity War. It started off pretty good and I was actually really into it up until the cliche of "Promise me something." "Anything." "Promise you'll kill me when the time comes." Oh god that cliche is groan worthy. I have mixed feelings on whether is was a good idea to try and make Thanos relateable, but most of my ire I reserve for the ending.

Canadamus Prime:
Avengers: Infinity War. It started off pretty good and I was actually really into it up until the cliche of "Promise me something." "Anything." "Promise you'll kill me when the time comes." Oh god that cliche is groan worthy. I have mixed feelings on whether is was a good idea to try and make Thanos relateable, but most of my ire I reserve for the ending.

You do know none of that is gonna stick, right? I mean, they're comicbook characters..

Casual Shinji:

Canadamus Prime:

You do know none of that is gonna stick, right? I mean, they're comicbook characters..

That just makes it worse because I hate it when they do that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here