Adventure Time finale discussion (spoilers, duh)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So yeah, Adventure Time's last episode(s) premiered earlier this week, and actually got a marathon of episodes, which is better than what Regular Show got.

I admit I haven't been keeping up with the show - not helped by Cartoon Network being allergic to good shows - so I was abit confused to what was happening. And the final boss kinda felt like it came out of nowhere.

On the whole it was pretty good, though I wonder if the finale could have done better as miniseries... well, at least it got better treatment than what Samurai Jack got. (Seriously, did we really need two episodes of Dragonball Z?)

So yeah, what did you like and dislike about the finale?

I thought it was pretty perfect finale for a show thats been going on like.....8 odd years

you cant wrap up everything, but what they wrapped up they did it pretty well. and what they didn't do well, at least was pretty funny (gunther wishing himself into the new iceking for instance)

the ending song and montage was primo too

a nice sappy happy ending for everyone

CrazyGirl17:
So yeah, Adventure Time's last episode(s) premiered earlier this week,

So...the nightmare is over?

THANK GOD!

(Seriously, did we really need two episodes of Dragonball Z?)

Um...episodes?

Doesn't it have hundreds?

As usual a topic on the Escapist wouldnt be complete without at least one person who came exclusively to tell everyone they didnt like the thing discussed.

On the finale...

Its at this point that I can safely say that:

Mind you I meant no offense when I say this, I just seem to notice the trend where one side is becoming more and more accepted in mainstream then the other.

Oookay, not the responses I was expecting.

Hawki:

CrazyGirl17:

THANK GOD!

Not a fan, I assume? Eh, to each their own.

Hawki:

Um...episodes?

I meant that the finale of Samurai Jack was relegated to a single episode immediately followed by Dragonball Z which took up precious timeslots. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Samtemdo8:

Mind you I meant no offense when I say this, I just seem to notice the trend where one side is becoming more and more accepted in mainstream then the other.

That is weird, kind of a double standard don't you think?

CrazyGirl17:

Hawki:

CrazyGirl17:

THANK GOD!

Hawki:

Um...episodes?

I meant that the finale of Samurai Jack was relegated to a single episode immediately followed by Dragonball Z which took up precious timeslots. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Samtemdo8:

That is weird, kind of a double standard don't you think?

I am open to corrections if there is a flaw in my statement.

Elijin:
As usual a topic on the Escapist wouldnt be complete without at least one person who came exclusively to tell everyone they didnt like the thing discussed.

Hey, someone's got to keep tradition. I don't see you stepping up. :P

CrazyGirl17:

First of all, what happened to your avatar? I miss it. :(

Second of all...no. Like, not at all. I saw the first two seasons, and while season 2 is a bit more bearable, to me, it just struck me as a lot of screaming, a lot of noise, and our 'heroes' just being obnoxious twats. Maybe I just don't 'get' adventure time, maybe it gets better, maybe it's both or neither, but I'm afraid it's one of those things that I just can't understand why it's so popular.

I dont recall at what point the characters and stories start shifting from children's nonsense to actual character arcs and growth, but it's a definite thing.

I think from memory, I saw a fairly late episode and thought, hmmm what's this about. The early seasons only had hints of what had caught my interest initially, but were still pretty charming for children's stories. Plus, it does this thing where the characters change so gradually that the earlier stuff feels like it was worth it.

Honestly I thought the ending was fantastic, definitely better than the Regular Show ending.

Liked it or not, the show has a major influence to the cartoon industry more way than one. Not only we got the simplify styles today but many of the shows alumnus depart to make their own shows in returns like Rebecca Sugar Steven Univere, Over the Garden Wall, Bravest Warrior, OK KO and Bee and Puppycat!

CrazyGirl17:

Is my response any better?

One of the reasons why I semi left/ back to lurking is the current state of the community on this site.

CrazyGirl17:
So yeah, Adventure Time's last episode(s) premiered earlier this week, and actually got a marathon of episodes, which is better than what Regular Show got.

I admit I haven't been keeping up with the show - not helped by Cartoon Network being allergic to good shows - so I was abit confused to what was happening. And the final boss kinda felt like it came out of nowhere.

On the whole it was pretty good, though I wonder if the finale could have done better as miniseries... well, at least it got better treatment than what Samurai Jack got. (Seriously, did we really need two episodes of Dragonball Z?)

So yeah, what did you like and dislike about the finale?

You thought the Samurai Jack finale was disappointing too?

Samtemdo8:

Loud House and OK KO (Joff and Nick).

McMarbles:

Samtemdo8:

Who is in Loud House?

Hawki:

Second of all...no. Like, not at all. I saw the first two seasons, and while season 2 is a bit more bearable, to me, it just struck me as a lot of screaming, a lot of noise, and our 'heroes' just being obnoxious twats. Maybe I just don't 'get' adventure time, maybe it gets better, maybe it's both or neither, but I'm afraid it's one of those things that I just can't understand why it's so popular.

First off, thanks for the comment. However I felt like changing my avatar (having had it for a while) but no matter what I try I keep getting the broken image. Any tips?

And second, I can see why the show wouldn't resonate with people. It did get better... but I guess it's not for everyone. (Shrugs)

Samtemdo8:

I thought it could have been longer (hence the comment about Dragonball Z taking up the time slots) and poor Ashi deserved better... on the whole it was pretty good, if a little bittersweet. It wasn't perfect but I still liked it for the most part.

CrazyGirl17:

Hawki:

First off, thanks for the comment. However I felt like changing my avatar (having had it for a while) but no matter what I try I keep getting the broken image. Any tips?

And second, I can see why the show wouldn't resonate with people. It did get better... but I guess it's not for everyone. (Shrugs)

Samtemdo8:

I thought it could have been longer (hence the comment about Dragonball Z taking up the time slots) and poor Ashi deserved better... on the whole it was pretty good, if a little bittersweet. It wasn't perfect but I still liked it for the most part.

I have completely different story in my head with how the finale would play out with the premise and plot that Season 5 presented.

Basically the whole thing changes after Episode 3.

CrazyGirl17:

not really. Your avatar looks fine to me though (in that it's showing a star with "Hamilton" on it), but I prefer astronaut bubble head guy.

Hawki:

CrazyGirl17:

not really. Your avatar looks fine to me though (in that it's showing a star with "Hamilton" on it), but I prefer astronaut bubble head guy.

Wait, really? For some reason it's not showing up for me...

(And it was a guy in an advanced suit underwater but close enough)

Samtemdo8:

McMarbles:

Samtemdo8:

Who is in Loud House?

There is a character named Clyde who has 2 dads

I definitely feel like I watched the finale of Game of Thrones after only seeing the first 2 seasons.

Of Finn's 4 nightmare figures, it was his father, the lich, I guess the bad side of Bubblegum, but what was the 4th?

They need to show more reruns of Adventure Time, like seriously. Look, I actually genuinely like Teen Titans Go, but I have seen the Driver's Ed episode a bajillion times, but they almost never show reruns of Adventure Time or Stephen Universe (beside the Cat Fingers episode). These shows are so plot heavy so I feel very out of the loop and it creates this downward spiral where I don't watch the new episodes cause I missed the old episodes so when new new episodes come out I miss those too! (I am also severely behind on Steven Universe)

Saelune:
Of Finn's 4 nightmare figures, it was his father, the lich, I guess the bad side of Bubblegum, but what was the 4th?

Susan Strong...for whatever reason. Not too sure about why she's there.

They need to show more reruns of Adventure Time, like seriously. Look, I actually genuinely like Teen Titans Go, but I have seen the Driver's Ed episode a bajillion times, but they almost never show reruns of Adventure Time or Stephen Universe (beside the Cat Fingers episode). These shows are so plot heavy so I feel very out of the loop and it creates this downward spiral where I don't watch the new episodes cause I missed the old episodes so when new new episodes come out I miss those too! (I am also severely behind on Steven Universe)

Indeed.

Haven't watched Adventure Time since season 4 or 5. Went into this to see if I would be confused and was able to figure it out. Overall pretty good. Wasn't perfect, but did a good way to end the series.

Remember I was in middle school when this started and do thank it for its legacy to inspiring many cartoon creators.

Saelune:

I remember when they used to do a bunch of reruns for Adventure Time back when it first came out. Same with Regular Show. I don't hate Teen Titans Go, but I'd like more variety in watching other shows. They even used to do a few reruns for Steven Universe and lately haven't done any.

undeadsuitor:

Saelune:

She did start off as his first glimpse of hope he wasnt the only human, only to turn out to be a cyborg programmed to hunt him down and kidnap him. Only to eventually leave on her own, once she regained her full personality. There might be one or two hangs ups there.

Natemans:

Saelune:

I remember when they used to do a bunch of reruns for Adventure Time back when it first came out. Same with Regular Show. I don't hate Teen Titans Go, but I'd like more variety in watching other shows. They even used to do a few reruns for Steven Universe and lately haven't done any.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm sick to death of this show and Cartoon Network's overwhelming obsession with it. But no, it's stupidly popular and it makes money so of course they're going to whore it out!

*SIGH* Can you tell I'm done with Cartoon Network?

Elijin:

undeadsuitor:

Saelune:

She did start off as his first glimpse of hope he wasnt the only human, only to turn out to be a cyborg programmed to hunt him down and kidnap him. Only to eventually leave on her own, once she regained her full personality. There might be one or two hangs ups there.

...What?

Seriously, I feel out of the loop.

Saelune:

Elijin:

undeadsuitor:

...What?

More or less what I said, but...

All of that is spread in bits and pieces over a bunch of different episodes.

It was ... good? I must admit I did like the fact that it didn't go for the utterly saccharine such as with Betty and Simon actually never ending up together. How ultimately their poisonous relationship actually definitively ended ... with evidently Simon going on a trip to find her, but inevitably giving up and finding closure...

While I like how they had Shermy and Beth to give it a more of a bitter angle of accepting one's mortality, and ultimate meaninglessness in the face of an eternal ever-present ... I'm not sure why they went with an immortal BMO as narrator if they're going to then use them as if a near-death climax.

I'm kind of glad they didn't wrap things up and the show ended with more questions than answers as that felt truer to the spirit of the moral it presented. That life isn't tidy, things don't really wrap up, and everything just joins and melts into that manufactured haze of the unreality of our memories.

A good end to a good show of the Animation Silver Age that overarcingly provided much of what I like about this spate of kid's programming of the 2010s onwards. Having underlying adult themes of mortality, existentialism and madness...

Plus it allows for a darker twist on what may have really happened being that BMO is just being BMO and providing a strange mix of disjointed plot points. That the reality is that Ooo was actually fucked up, the Gum War actually did happen, much of Ooo was destroyed in the fighting, but BMO being BMO has just put an innocent and naive spin on it. Which is a nice possibility and makes far more sense when you actually think about it.

You know ... the fact that BMO asks: "Do you know about the Great Gum War?"

And as soon as they shake their heads... then proceeds to tell them a much happier tale about people even BMO can barely remember of where the war didn't even happen. Because what was the point of simply making them sad for finding a relic of his dead friend that even he cannot revisit completely?

Also bleeds into that existentialist bent once more that in the end it doesn't really matter beyond how such things come to inform your present. Which helps to underline what has always been a show about intimacy between people and their private thoughts and lives, regardless of the reality of passing hands on a clock.

I liked it. It's good an ending can tell us more about characters rather than simply focus on what is happening. Rather tying up character development than a narrative focus. It's not so much a goodbye to these character's stories ... it's a goodbye to their characters, regardless of the story. Which fits into a more tragically beautiful reading into the episode that they did, in fact, die in a war but the exact events of that are less important than the people involved.

I liked that it recognised that a lot of things have ended...but at the same time things go on. The stories continue and the cycle wheels round again sooner or later

Elijin:

Saelune:

Elijin:

...What?

More or less what I said, but...

All of that is spread in bits and pieces over a bunch of different episodes.

Yeeep. It was a very, very long "Is she or isn't she" when it came to her humanity.

Technically the real ending though

On the plus side, technically it's not over. This fall they're launching a canon comics series that picks up where the show left off.

I liked it. It was a bit annoying how they had this big buildup to the war then didn't do anything with it, like it was rushed. Not really because I felt it needed to have the war itself but because we have this buildup of characters and I wanted to see how each one of them would handle the war, then they pretty much were ignored. Really just having an episode or 2 with some of the characters having a bit of a punchup or at least exploring how they handle the idea of the war would have turned a good ending into a really good one. I feel like a couple extra episodes with just some of the characters who would play a part in the war messing around or having minor punchups would have made things feel a bit better.

I did like how music was what was able to defeat GOLB. I view one of the few things humanity could really use to justify its existence to the universe, as music. So, well done. Also, yay PB and Marcy finally managed to be made canon.

Worgen:
I liked it. It was a bit annoying how they had this big buildup to the war then didn't do anything with it, like it was rushed. Not really because I felt it needed to have the war itself but because we have this buildup of characters and I wanted to see how each one of them would handle the war, then they pretty much were ignored. Really just having an episode or 2 with some of the characters having a bit of a punchup or at least exploring how they handle the idea of the war would have turned a good ending into a really good one. I feel like a couple extra episodes with just some of the characters who would play a part in the war messing around or having minor punchups would have made things feel a bit better.

I did like how music was what was able to defeat GOLB. I view one of the few things humanity could really use to justify its existence to the universe, as music. So, well done. Also, yay PB and Marcy finally managed to be made canon.

I think in a few years, they should do an Adventure Time movie when Finn is an adult.

Saelune:

Worgen:

I think in a few years, they should do an Adventure Time movie when Finn is an adult.

Its been rumored there is a movie in the works for awhile now. It would be cool to have Fin as an adult in one, we still don't know whats up with the Prize Ball Guardians in the far future. On one hand I want more info, on the other, I would prefer they don't make PB a bad guy, which they do kinda flirt with.

Worgen:

Saelune:

Worgen:

Its been rumored there is a movie in the works for awhile now. It would be cool to have Fin as an adult in one, we still don't know whats up with the Prize Ball Guardians in the far future. On one hand I want more info, on the other, I would prefer they don't make PB a bad guy, which they do kinda flirt with.

Iirc most of the post series future was revealed in some outer media like tweets and posts from creators.

For instance, the candy people are being protected from the mad king of the rainicorn pup kingdom's mad ruler

Likely it will be focused on in future comics

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or