Anime fans, looking for suggestions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Apparently, this video's been out for a while and garnered enough attention to merit "viewer reaction" videos, but I'm just seeing it so, yeah. WARNING: Not safe for work, school, church or nursing homes...

While the song isn't necessarily in my typical genre, it's just esoteric enough to be pique my interest, but the animation is what really grabbed me. I used to be a pretty big anime fan back in my youth, late '80s-mid '90s, and this immediately reminded me of some of my favorites, i.e.: Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Demon City Shinjuku, anything dark, OTT violent, twisted and/or disturbing, and I found myself somewhat nostalgic.

Being away from anime for such a long time, I'm completely out of the loop, but I see a few people in here talk about it, so my ask is: are there any more recent anime (and by "recent," I'm saying within the last 15-20 years,) that are reminiscent of titles like those I listed above? The only thing of recent note I've watched was the first several episodes of Attack on Titan on Netflix, and they were incredible, but I prefer standalone films, not episodic stuff. If AoT had been a two hour movie, it'd have been perfect, but since it dragged on and I eventually ran out of episodes, I lost any interest to seek it out. So... suggestions?

Eh... Shingeki no Kyojin the anime was crap... better off reading the manga, then you'll realise how much better the history comes across and how drawn out the anime is...

You may or may not like...

Requiem from the Darkness
Shigurui
Hellsing
Perhaps anything by Satoshi Kon (basically Paranoia Agent, the films are probably a bit aged now)
Sky Crawlers

That's all that comes to mind based on what you've mentioned, though we two do have different tastes, though I, too, am quite out of the loop, anime wise...

SckizoBoy:
Eh... Shingeki no Kyojin the anime was crap... better off reading the manga, then you'll realise how much better the history comes across and how drawn out the anime is...

You may or may not like...

Requiem from the Darkness
Shigurui
Hellsing
Perhaps anything by Satoshi Kon (basically Paranoia Agent, the films are probably a bit aged now)
Sky Crawlers

That's all that comes to mind based on what you've mentioned, though we two do have different tastes, though I, too, am quite out of the loop, anime wise...

Thanks for those!! Almost all appear (on face value) appear to be something I'd like! Gonna try to check them out.

Shingeki no Kyojin I assumed was Attack on Titan; Google search confirmed. (Sorry, my Japanese is a little rusty, meaning I ordered at a hibachi grill once by pointing at the menu then my mouth, and that's about the extent of it.) But you won't catch me reading manga even if it is better; I like anime for the visuals, the spectacle, so the show suited me just fine for what it was. Actually, when the show became more character-focused and less focused on the titans, I kinda lost interest.

But answer me this: I know there's a level of cultural depth and meaning to Japanese animation that goes beyond, say simple "animated entertainment" mentalities; do you feel the titans' imagery is a jab at Western culture? I noticed they all are very "white" in feature, wide-eyed with the dumb, toothy grins, insatiable (greedy, predatory) appetites, etc.; I couldn't really help catching some social commentary there. I could be completely off-base, just curious.

Parasyte: the Maxim, if you've seen John Carpenter's The Thing, it's like that.

Higurashi: When they Cry is a quite famous mystery anime, with girls headbanging knives and whatnot.

Elfen Lied is great, despite what others may say, they're wrong and dummies. It reminded me of Akira when Testuo blows up people with his mind. This time Lucy goes around cutting people in half with her mind, quite gruesome.

Shin Sekai Yori is a modern masterpiece for tv broadcast anime. Also similar to Akira. The beginning is boring and confusing, but then somewhere along the way it becomes one of the most engaging and interesting anime you will ever find. It doesn't look very exciting, but it's amazing, beautiful, and tragic when you finish it. The only problem beside the beginning is that the animation is sometimes wonky. There's one episode everyone looks 10 years older, because they outsourced the animation to a different studio.

Blood+ the Anime version had its moments.

Well, I happened upon a few clips on YouTube of a new show called "Cells at Work". Basically it shows the inner workings of the human body, with individual cells being personified as human-looking characters. The main characters are a red and white blood cell, and so far it looks pretty funny to me. So while I too haven't really been that into anime, I can safely say that this one is one I'm going to keep my eye on.

Devilman Crybaby seems to have a bit of that old 80's brutal-ness. And I think it's only 10 or so episodes. Haven't really seen it myself since I don't have Netflix, but I've heard good things.

Not an anime but if you enjoy the DYE music video he also worked on the French cartoon Lastman

I don't like my name anymore:

Higurashi: When they Cry is a quite famous mystery anime, with girls headbanging knives and whatnot.

Elfen Lied is great, despite what others may say, they're wrong and dummies. It reminded me of Akira when Testuo blows up people with his mind. This time Lucy goes around cutting people in half with her mind, quite gruesome.

Shin Sekai Yori is a modern masterpiece for tv broadcast anime. Also similar to Akira. The beginning is boring and confusing, but then somewhere along the way it becomes one of the most engaging and interesting anime you will ever find. It doesn't look very exciting, but it's amazing, beautiful, and tragic when you finish it. The only problem beside the beginning is that the animation is sometimes wonky. There's one episode everyone looks 10 years older, because they outsourced the animation to a different studio.

Thanks for the suggestions, but those don't appear to be up my alley. Just judging by the Google images; I could be entirely wrong, so I'm not entirely discounting them. They're all just a little too... bright and colorful? They're also episodic; I prefer standalone films. The only light-hearted anime I ever got into was Project: A-ko; I guess I thought it was funny? School girl dealing with day-to-day stuff who incidentally has superhuman powers? B-ko showing up every day with bigger and bigger mechs trying to kill her, but only succeeding in making her late for school has a level of Wyle E. Coyote and the Roadrunner level of absurdity that appealed to me. But certainly everything else I watched was dark.

Samtemdo8:

Thanks; thank does look interesting! Again, it's episodic, so meh, but if it's good enough and readily available, I'm willing to give it a shot.

thejboy88:
Well, I happened upon a few clips on YouTube of a new show called "Cells at Work". Basically it shows the inner workings of the human body, with individual cells being personified as human-looking characters. The main characters are a red and white blood cell, and so far it looks pretty funny to me. So while I too haven't really been that into anime, I can safely say that this one is one I'm going to keep my eye on.

Thanks, but no. Not looking for funny anime; I'm nostalgic for the darker, more visceral stuff.

Casual Shinji:
Devilman Crybaby seems to have a bit of that old 80's brutal-ness. And I think it's only 10 or so episodes. Haven't really seen it myself since I don't have Netflix, but I've heard good things.

Thanks! Yes, '80s (and early '90s) brutal-ness is exactly the itch I'm looking to scratch! Bonus if it's on Netflix!

PapaGreg096:
Not an anime but if you enjoy the DYE music video he also worked on the French cartoon Lastman

Thanks; the animation style was definitely a draw, but it alone wouldn't necessarily have sparked my nostalgia had it not been for the last moments of the video, when things get... surreal? Looked up Lastman, and it looks a little bland, Adult Swim-y?
]

Akame ga Kill
Black Bullet
Basilisk
Kizumonogatari film trilogy (if you like, consider getting into the bakemonogatari series, though it varies in tone, but the films are prequels and are most like what you desire)
Berserk

Most of the stuff will be episodic, and you are advised to marathon it. Most movies are made based on an episodic series or a manga or something, not just completely standalone like that.

Also you're in luck cause that's my fav genre of anime out there so I think you will love those series.

Dreiko:
Akame ga Kill
Black Bullet
Basilisk
Kizumonogatari film trilogy (if you like, consider getting into the bakemonogatari series, though it varies in tone, but the films are prequels and are most like what you desire)
Berserk

Most of the stuff will be episodic, and you are advised to marathon it. Most movies are made based on an episodic series or a manga or something, not just completely standalone like that.

Also you're in luck cause that's my fav genre of anime out there so I think you will love those series.

Thanks indeed! Those do look promising!

Yeah, I figured a lot of this stuff would be episodic or at the very least would have a bunch of related content that might make them easier to appreciate (i.e.: manga,) I think that's why I kinda fell out of anime; I'm a simple guy, and an oversaturation of options, cliffhangers or at the very least, a bright, flashing sign that says "Start here, end there" will often kill my enthusiasm pretty quickly. Short episodic series, I can deal with, like a 6-part miniseries, but when I have to "tune in next week" for months or years at a time or binge watch to get the full story, I can lose interest.

Xprimentyl:

Samtemdo8:

Thanks; thank does look interesting! Again, it?s episodic, so meh, but if it?s good enough and readily available, I?m willing to give it a shot.

thejboy88:

Thanks, but no. Not looking for funny anime; I?m nostalgic for the darker, more visceral stuff.

Casual Shinji:

Thanks! Yes, ?80s (and early ?90s) brutal-ness is exactly the itch I?m looking to scratch! Bonus if it?s on Netflix!

PapaGreg096:

Thanks; the animation style was definitely a draw, but it alone wouldn?t necessarily have sparked my nostalgia had it not been for the last moments of the video, when things get? surreal? Looked up Lastman, and it looks a little bland, Adult Swim-y?
]

Oh don't you worry things are going to get surreal when they fight some monsters

Well that music video escalated very quickly.

At first I was wondering what you were talking about when you compared it to ultra violent anime and then that happened.

Almost everything I can think of recommending to you has already been suggested, although if you're looking for something really screwed up and weird I might suggest Angel Sanctuary if you can find it.

I remember watching that in the early 2000's when I was in high school, although I don't remember whether or not it was actually good.

Zeraki:
Well that music video escalated very quickly.

At first I was wondering what you were talking about when you compared it to ultra violent anime and then that happened.

Almost everything I can think of recommending to you has already been suggested, although if you're looking for something really screwed up and weird I might suggest Angel Sanctuary if you can find it.

I remember watching that in the early 2000's when I was in high school, although I don't remember whether or not it was actually good.

The manga for Angel Sanctuary is really worth it. While the anime is great, it is only the first 2-3 volumes of a 20 vol series. Do check it out.

Watch Texhnolyze. To this day it is the best thing I have ever seen. As for modern anime, the only one I didn't stop watching after the first episode in the last 10+ years is Inuyashiki. Very, very awesome about some down and out, kind-hearted middle aged dude who turns into some kind of robot with magic powers while the same happens to some young nihilistic sociopath. I watched that entire show in one sitting while normally with modern anime I'm staring at the clock after 10 minutes. I also really liked The Guyver 'reboot' though I don't really remember what year that's from but still recent enough I think.

Xprimentyl:

Casual Shinji:

Thanks! Yes, ?80s (and early ?90s) brutal-ness is exactly the itch I?m looking to scratch! Bonus if it?s on Netflix!

You could also maybe check out Inuyashiki. Not that good in my opinion, but if you're looking to scratch that 'merciless people doing merciless things' itch it might be worth a peek.

Well, if you are ok with a series taking awhile to get to the disturbing stuff then check out Made in Abyss. It's a fantastic anime and gets really dark, but it takes awhile for that stuff to really show up.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Excellent mix of police procedural, political intrigue, ruminations on the nature of being and some pretty cool overall cyberpunk action.

Gordon_4:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Excellent mix of police procedural, political intrigue, ruminations on the nature of being and some pretty cool overall cyberpunk action.

Basically came into say Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex as well, one of the best TV series of all time. The TC can just watch The Laughing Man OVA for the main arc if they really don't to watch a series and make it into a movie basically.

Elfen Lied is so bad that it was trainwreck bad to where I had to keep watching to see where it would go and constantly surprised around every corner how low it went.

I loved Elfen Lied, but the manga is way better. The anime's ending only goes so far.

Perfect Blue

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne

Xprimentyl:
Shingeki no Kyojin I assumed was Attack on Titan; Google search confirmed. (Sorry, my Japanese is a little rusty, meaning I ordered at a hibachi grill once by pointing at the menu then my mouth, and that?s about the extent of it.) But you won?t catch me reading manga even if it is better; I like anime for the visuals, the spectacle, so the show suited me just fine for what it was. Actually, when the show became more character-focused and less focused on the titans, I kinda lost interest.

You'd be surprised, one of my favourite manga is centred around classical music... and it was really well written.

FYI, I would've offered more titles, but wasn't sure given you said you didn't like episodic stuff (the series I've mentioned are 12eps max IIRC). Though I missed the suggestion for Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne (it's randomly violent with some pretty grotesque imagery), and FLCL might be up your alley, it is rather surreal (6 eps). Maybe Sword of the Stranger as well? It's a film and beautifully done, but has a bit of a slow start, but the ending set-piece and 'boss fight' might appeal to you (great soundtrack at that point, too).

There's also a three episode OAV that I never watched, but want to... quite an old title now, but can't remember its name. It's about a gynoid assassin in the near future and features some pretty graphic combat violence. I can just picture a (now inactive) Escapist's avatar as being the gynoid twirling her twin hand-cannons and blasting fools either side of her in a gif... -_-

But answer me this: I know there?s a level of cultural depth and meaning to Japanese animation that goes beyond, say simple ?animated entertainment? mentalities; do you feel the titans? imagery is a jab at Western culture? I noticed they all are very ?white? in feature, wide-eyed with the dumb, toothy grins, insatiable (greedy, predatory) appetites, etc.; I couldn?t really help catching some social commentary there. I could be completely off-base, just curious.

Not really... I consider them symbolic of the hubris of mankind in general, rather than the west, given that the characters, by-and-large, have central European/Germanic/Nordic names and features.

The titans (or any chars in general) looking "white" to some in anime is in one word Ethnocentrism.

Imagine a stick figure, one with no discernible traits. What race is it? To a Japanese person, even if it's not holding a katana or wearing a t-shirt with kanji or drawn with slanted eyes, it'll be perceived as actually being Japanese, while to a westerner it'll be perceived as white, because that is the "default person" for each society.

In short, the titans look Japanese, not European, to the Japanese people who made them, and they just symbolize the uncanny valley creepyness they want them to.

Phoenixmgs:

Elfen Lied is so bad that it was trainwreck bad to where I had to keep watching to see where it would go and constantly surprised around every corner how low it went.

Well... you're wrong and a big dummy.

Also how can I trust your opinion if you like GITS:SAC? Elfen Lied is better than SAC, I can't believe I'm making this comparison but it's absolutely true. SAC is cheesy, just listen to the ending song. The show is a complete miss in tone and direction from the original movie.

Xprimentyl:
do you feel the titans? imagery is a jab at Western culture? I noticed they all are very ?white? in feature, wide-eyed with the dumb, toothy grins, insatiable (greedy, predatory) appetites, etc.; I couldn?t really help catching some social commentary there. I could be completely off-base, just curious.

The setting takes place in some German inspired location. The titans look white because everyone is white. The author said one of his inspirations was a VN called Muv Luv, which despite it's name is actually about humanity on the brink of extinction from zerglike aliens, where conventional warfare and weaponry is ineffective, allowing these aliens to overrun entire continents and consume most of humanity. That's pretty much the inspiration for the titans.

I miss Bobular, he would know. I wonder why he stopped posting :/

Phoenixmgs:

Also how can I trust your opinion if you like GITS:SAC? Elfen Lied is better than SAC, I can't believe I'm making this comparison but it's absolutely true. SAC is cheesy, just listen to the ending song. The show is a complete miss in tone and direction from the original movie.

Elfen Lied is just a really really bad harem anime with incest along with the biggest plot contrivances I think I've ever seen.

Drathnoxis:
I miss Bobular, he would know. I wonder why he stopped posting :/

He's been ill and working a lot. Luckily for him, he's got his first week of paid time off in 7 years starting this week.

OT:
I mostly like series rather than movies so unfortunately my suggestions are going to be coming from there. I'll try not to pick any long series.

Claymore
Claymore is about a band of warrior women who basically get demon bits put inside them as young children and fight said demons as half demons that are mostly hated and distrusted by the rest of the world. I'd defiantly give Claymore a recommendation.

I will say however that the manga is better[1], the anime rushes to have a final confrontation with the big bad that wouldn't happen for years later in the story in the manga.

Blue Submarine No 6
This one is kind of nostalgic for me and to me I place it in the same kind of spot as Akira or Ghost In The Shell, I feel it has Similar art style, though the CGI is kinda dated these days. Its a 4 ep OVA which I remember watching as a movie when it aired on TV[3].

Basically its a post apocalyptic water world deal where fish people are trying to kill all humans.

Darker Than Black
Another series, but one of my favourite. What if Batman was Chinese, had electricity powers and didn't have any issues with killing people[4]?

After a weird event happens[5] some people become 'contractors', people with all kinds of strange abilities, like gravity nullification, blood based teleportation, controlling bugs, cryokinesis and generating an anti-tank rifle at will. These abilities come with a complete change in the way they think, caring only about themselves and having no sense of morality, and also with a payment that must be completed after using their powers, such as folding the paper in a book, braking your own fingers, writing poetry or drinking a beer.

The second series isn't bad, its just not as good as the first series. If you're after something short then you can just watch the first series and be satisfied with how it ends. If you find you enjoy it then you can go on and watch the second season and the OVA, either way I highly recommend Darker Than Black

Under The Dog
A weird little one off episode funded via Kickstarter that was supposed to be the start of an actual series but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

The single episode is interesting though and worth a watch.

Thats it for now, if those are on the right track I'll see if I can post more later.

[1] When is it not?[2].
[2] Stiens;Gate & One Punch Man are the first two to come to mind.
[3] About 2hrs.
[4] And also doesn't have a fetish for bats?
[5] About as much information as you're going to get regarding that

Drifters - various history figures are transported into a fantasy world at war. Very OTT violent and dark and only 12 episodes long.

Fate/Zero - 7 modern mages have a battle royale by summoning historical and mythological figures as servants. Based on what you want it definitely fits the bill. It does spoil some twists of other Fate series (being a prequel for them) but you can enjoy this completely standalone from the rest of the Fate franchise (most of which isn't that good but the Heaven's Feel movies may also be for you)

Psycho-Pass - Cyberpunk dystopia where a vast surveillance state is used to predict crimes before they happen Minority Report style. You can ignore the second season and movie since neither are as good as the original 22 episode first season.

From I've heard of them you may enjoy Hellsing Ultimate, Elfen Lied, Mirai Nikki, Killing Bites, Another and the Garden of Sinner movies.

Xprimentyl:

Thanks for the suggestions, but those don?t appear to be up my alley. Just judging by the Google images; I could be entirely wrong, so I?m not entirely discounting them. They?re all just a little too? bright and colorful? They?re also episodic; I prefer standalone films. The only light-hearted anime I ever got into was Project: A-ko; I guess I thought it was funny? School girl dealing with day-to-day stuff who incidentally has superhuman powers? B-ko showing up every day with bigger and bigger mechs trying to kill her, but only succeeding in making her late for school has a level of Wyle E. Coyote and the Roadrunner level of absurdity that appealed to me. But certainly everything else I watched was dark.

I can't speak to any of the suggestions personally, but as you well note, Google Images might not be the best metric. Speaking personally, Higurashi has long been on my "nope" list because...well, I don't have the stomach for a series where some of the characters claw out their own throats. Put a different way, I just ran a quick search on "Higurashi brutal"(sans quotation marks), and found this lovely synopsis:

Don't know if that's up your alley or not, but as I said, I don't have the stomach for that, so I can't attest to it by more than its reputation as a brutal series. Similarly, if you're looking for dark, twisted, and disturbing, you might also look into the works of Junji Ito, whose most well known works are probably Gyo, Uzumaki, Tomie, and the Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Phoenixmgs:

Phoenixmgs:

Elfen Lied is just a really really bad harem anime with incest along with the biggest plot contrivances I think I've ever seen.

That and a message so far up its own ass, it couldn't smell the shit was shoveling. And the lore doesn't make sense when you think even 60 seconds of the dicloni backstory. The way they are meant reproduce makes it look like they were always meant to die out and were nowhere near as close as humanity apex predator. The manga untientionally proved my point in the ending.

My recommendations:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Redline - Fast and Furious combined with Gurren Laggan and Wacky Races.

Monster - The best animated psychological thriller ever made.

Michiko and Hatchin - Unique in that it's an anime that takes place in Brazil and has a predominantly brown, black, and latino cast.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - It has disturbing moments no matter which parts you watch.

Deadman Wonderland

Spriggan

Panty & Stocking

Kill La Kill

Akame Ga Kill - I hate both versions, but this seems up your alley. Do yourself a favor and read the manga; skip the anime.

Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai: Resurrection - Samuel L. Jackson plays two main characters. What more can you ask for?

One Punch Man

Trigun

Gunsmith Cats (OVA)

Samurai Champloo

Marvel Anime (2011): Iron Man, Wolverine, Blade, and X-Men.

CoCage:

Phoenixmgs:

That and a message so far up its own ass, it couldn't smell the shit was shoveling. And the lore doesn't make sense when you think even 60 seconds of the dicloni backstory. The way they are meant reproduce makes it look like they were always meant to die out and were nowhere near as close as humanity apex predator. The manga untientionally proved my point in the ending.

The one thing that boggles my mind with anime ratings is how certain things get basically a near consensus of being a "masterpiece" when they are literally trainwreck bad. It's the main thing that actually keeps me away from anime because I've been burnt so bad watching highly rated stuff that was just complete trash. Sure I might not think some Oscar nominated/winning movie is the masterpiece it is claimed to be, but it's never The Room bad.

Gunsmith Cats (OVA)

False advertising lol

Phoenixmgs:

The one thing that boggles my mind with anime ratings is how certain things get basically a near consensus of being a "masterpiece" when they are literally trainwreck bad.

Elfen Lied is a flawed masterpiece. Besides, it's commonly hated for being shit by anime pop-critics.

The unbelievable parts don't bother me, because I enjoy being sickened by the edginess. I almost dropped it after the first 10 minutes because of the intensity and duration of the massacre scene, but then I was pleasantly surprised by the rest.

Most anime is adapted from young adult fiction by some random guy or girl, and it becomes a nationwide success. The anime is made to advertise the original work and its merchandise. It's not supposed to be some thought provoking amazing work of art, and if it is it will be a side project and not have a lot of sales, only possible because the studio is always pumping out some shounen cash-cow to make such experimentation possible.

It's not supposed to be some thought provoking amazing work of art, and if it is it will be a side project and not have a lot of sales, only possible because the studio is always pumping out some shounen cash-cow to make such experimentation possible.

Doesn't excuse it for being shitty. I hate the whole "it's not supposed to win awards" defense/excuse. A lack of effort does not make your show, anime/manga/ova, movie or game any better. I'll take failing while trying over no effort any day. And you sir or madame are flinging away legit criticism. If you like show, more power to you, but don't make excuses for poor storytelling, writing, mostly useless or hateful characters, and hypocritical themes.

There are plenty of anime and things in other media that does things better than Elfen Lied in terms of themes and storytelling. I.E, the nature vs nurture, racism, and cycle of hate and revenge. Princess Mononoke, X-Men, Monster, Parasyte, Fullmetal Alchemist (both versions), Shaman King (anime only), "Now And Then, Here And There", Digimon, Trigun, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here