How powerful do you want Superman to be portrayed as?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Because again I feel everyone here and beyond thinks any reasonable adaption is impossible when it comes to Superman because he's "So powerful be breaks whole planets and fights Gods" Even though in all his portrayals Superman has never always been consistantly god level powerful.

Animated Series Superman and Snyder Superman so far are no where near as ridiculously powerful as Silver Age Superman who destroys whole Solar Systems by sneezing (and since then he's been nerfed fairly decently)

But I feel there is another argument that nerfing Superman's ridiculous overpowered abilities takes away the whole point of Superman.

So I am just asking, How powerful should Superman be?

Animated series and Snyder levels are fine with me.

I think this very question is the reason I'm not a Superman fan; he's so powerful, any weakness has to be contrived. I mean between his ability to fly at insane speeds, survive the vacuum of space, laser vision, X-ray vision, ice breath, super-deific strength, bulletproof skin, and any other manner of "deus ex machina" cure-all ability for whatever situation he finds himself in, his only real weakness is a penchant for goodness and/or willingness to restrain himself; basically, it's his humanity. There's a role model for ya': a nigh-omnipotent being whose only flaw is the best thing about mankind; his name literally means "Above/Better than/Superlative [of] Man." Tell me again how Barbie sets an unrealistic precedent of womanhood for young girls? (<- I'm being facetious with that last part.)

But OT, I think he should be as powerful as the writers need him to be for their purposes, but his weakness needs to be something more substantial than a rare element. I know he's solar powered, so maybe he's weaker when not in direct sunlight, nearly powerless at night? Or maybe he is so powerful that in attempts to restrain himself, he can't help but restrain himself well within more reasonable limits, i.e.: if I had to stand on the shoulders of an infant, I would have to support 99% of my weight elsewhere to avoid crushing the baby. To avoid mass catastrophic damage, Superman needs to pull his punches enough of ensure they're only damaging to the intended target; no more of punching villains through buildings causing billions of dollars in damages and tacit collateral deaths. And of course for action and suspense, much like Voltron never "formed Blazing Sword" until the end of the fight, Superman has to "pull the gloves off" from time to time and punch a hole through the fabric of reality to blow our minds and remind us just how "super" he could be.

Xprimentyl:
I think this very question is the reason I?m not a Superman fan; he?s so powerful, any weakness has to be contrived. I mean between his ability to fly at insane speeds, survive the vacuum of space, laser vision, X-ray vision, ice breath, super-deific strength, bulletproof skin, and any other manner of ?deus ex machina? cure-all ability for whatever situation he finds himself in, his only real weakness is a penchant for goodness and/or willingness to restrain himself; basically, it?s his humanity. There?s a role model for ya?: a nigh-omnipotent being whose only flaw is the best thing about mankind; his name literally means ?Above/Better than/Superlative [of] Man.? Tell me again how Barbie sets an unrealistic precedent of womanhood for young girls? (<- I?m being facetious with that last part.)

But OT, I think he should be as powerful as the writers need him to be for their purposes, but his weakness needs to be something more substantial than a rare element. I know he?s solar powered, so maybe he?s weaker when not in direct sunlight, nearly powerless at night? Or maybe he is so powerful that in attempts to restrain himself, he can?t help but restrain himself well within more reasonable limits, i.e.: if I had to stand on the shoulders of an infant, I would have to support 99% of my weight elsewhere to avoid crushing the baby. To avoid mass catastrophic damage, Superman needs to pull his punches enough of ensure they?re only damaging to the intended target; no more of punching villains through buildings causing billions of dollars in damages and tacit collateral deaths. And of course for action and suspense, much like Voltron never ?formed Blazing Sword? until the end of the fight, Superman has to ?pull the gloves off? from time to time and punch a hole through the fabric of reality to blow our minds and remind us just how ?super? he could be.

Superman hasn't had a "Deus ex machina cure all ability" in decades also I don't see how having a combo platters of powers make him overpowered, for gods sake The Flash can time travel and Martian Manhunter can shapeshift but no one complains that they are overpowered.

I want him to be able to open jars, but only with one of those little gripper gizmos they give people with arthritis.

PapaGreg096:

Xprimentyl:
SNIP

Superman hasn't had a "Deus ex machina cure all ability" in decades also I don't see how having a combo platters of powers make him overpowered, for gods sake The Flash can time travel and Martian Manhunter can shapeshift but no one complains that they are overpowered.

Shows how interested I've been in Superman if they've since "nerfed" him into the realm of fantastic feasibility and no one told me.

Most heroes have a combo platter of powers; that's what makes them "heroes," and that's not my issue. My issue with Superman has always been that he had the superlative of ALL the powers; he was the strongest, fastest, most impervious, chiseled jaw-est, etc.; he was the barometer by which other heroes' were ultimately measured, and that's just not interesting.

Despite complaints that he should be stronger, I feel the DCAU got it about right: He is shown to be the biggest powerhouse in the entire Justice League and, more importantly, one who inspires countless others to take up the cape with his heroism and dedication to virtue.

His biggest conflict is not usually defeating the enemy, but holding back to avoid causing catastrophic damage to the city/planet as well as accidentally killing villains he doesn't want to kill (the exceptions to his usual mercy being Darkseid, Mongol and occasionally Lex Luthor after he's done something particularly vile). Having the ability to fly around the planet so fast it rewinds time so he can save everyone on the second try defuses drama unless it's a one-time thing, done in a moment of absolute need. Likewise, giving him speed to match or exceed Flash combined with everything else he has removes the tactical element for just about any fight he's in.

As the comic book hero given the most Christ themes of any of them, his struggle is not necessarily in defeating evil directly by punching it in the face. It's in saving humanity from the dark impulses that drive them to destruction (though again he's likely given up on saving Luthor's soul by now, no surprise). All the power in the world won't always allow you to do that:

I prefer a Superman who is sufficiently powerful, but is well-written enough it's not a game-breaker.

Also, the post above mine summed it up better than I ever could.

Xprimentyl:

PapaGreg096:

Xprimentyl:
SNIP

Shows how interested I?ve been in Superman if they?ve since ?nerfed? him into the realm of fantastic feasibility and no one told me.

Most heroes have a combo platter of powers; that?s what makes them ?heroes,? and that?s not my issue. My issue with Superman has always been that he had the superlative of ALL the powers; he was the strongest, fastest, most impervious, chiseled jaw-est, etc.; he was the barometer by which other heroes? were ultimately measured, and that?s just not interesting.

He's not really the strongest since there are tons of character who rival his strength, he is far from the fastest because you know "SPEEDFORCE" and he isn't really impervious to Kryptonite or magic

PapaGreg096:

He's not really the strongest since there are tons of character who rival his strength, he is far from the fastest because you know "SPEEDFORCE" and he isn't really impervious to Kryptonite or magic

Doesn't sound super at all, sounds more like Shitman.

PapaGreg096:

Xprimentyl:

PapaGreg096:

Shows how interested I?ve been in Superman if they?ve since ?nerfed? him into the realm of fantastic feasibility and no one told me.

Most heroes have a combo platter of powers; that?s what makes them ?heroes,? and that?s not my issue. My issue with Superman has always been that he had the superlative of ALL the powers; he was the strongest, fastest, most impervious, chiseled jaw-est, etc.; he was the barometer by which other heroes? were ultimately measured, and that?s just not interesting.

Superman was created in the 1930s, basically the infancy of modern comics; many of those that [now] "rival" his abilities were conceived in his wake for the simple fact that Superman was unrivaled, i.e.: the barometer by which other heroes were/are measured. So, in the spirit of the OP's thread, I answered as I saw fit; I don't' think he's asking how powerful I think a normally-powered Superman should be; that's like asking "how big do you think a 2-liter bottle of soda should be;" the answer is in the question.

But, a question to your points as I honestly don't know, do those that rival Superman's strength also rival his speed? Can they also shoot lasers from their eyes? Are they also innately bulletproof? Can they also fly? Does The Flash's "speedforce" allow him to lift a building over his head?

Agent_Z:

Animated series Superman makes it clear he's not using his full power. He way more powerful, he's just choosing to not use that power.
That's a hard gimmick to get across in a game. Imagine playing WOW, and you're struggling through lvl5 quests, but you're a lvl100 Fighter but you're just choosing to use lvl5 equipment and abilities, with 95 points unspent.

Its just silly. A Superman game would just be silly.

There are routinely new villains, new demons, and new universes that come out and fight superman on even ground or dwarf his power. Mongul is a Problem. Darkseid is a problem. Doomsday is a Problem. Amazo is a Problem.

There are different tiers of threats to the DC universe. The problem with Media is that they continue to ground Superman to Earth level threats when alone, and Cosmic level threats when he's bound with the Justice League.

Let Superman be All-Powerful. Because as the adage says, there's always someone more powerful.

Xprimentyl:

PapaGreg096:

Xprimentyl:

Superman was created in the 1930s, basically the infancy of modern comics; many of those that [now] ?rival? his abilities were conceived in his wake for the simple fact that Superman was unrivaled, i.e.: the barometer by which other heroes were/are measured. So, in the spirit of the OP?s thread, I answered as I saw fit; I don?t? think he?s asking how powerful I think a normally-powered Superman should be; that?s like asking ?how big do you think a 2-liter bottle of soda should be;? the answer is in the question.

I mean if you are talking about Golden Age Superman wasn't that powerful in fact he could've been hurt by tank shells and couldn't even fly. Also Shazam was made before Superman got really popular too.

Xprimentyl:
But, a question to your points as I honestly don?t know, do those that rival Superman?s strength also rival his speed? Can they also shoot lasers from their eyes? Are they also innately bulletproof? Can they also fly? Does The Flash?s ?speedforce? allow him to lift a building over his head?

Well seeing how a good chunk of those rivals have "Superpower Lottery" then yes most of the time they are at least as fast him, heck Martian Manhunter even has telepathy and shape shifting powers. And as for the Flash, the Speedforce allows him to punch with force similar to the diameter of the moon, think in nanoseconds, vibrate his molecules, travel time, have low level wind powers, and do this.

Silentpony:

Agent_Z:

Animated series Superman makes it clear he's not using his full power. He way more powerful, he's just choosing to not use that power.
That's a hard gimmick to get across in a game. Imagine playing WOW, and you're struggling through lvl5 quests, but you're a lvl100 Fighter but you're just choosing to use lvl5 equipment and abilities, with 95 points unspent.

You do know almost every hero holds back right, heck if Spiderman was in full power the game would be an M rating

As OP as possible, to cause the writers problems.

I want Superman to have to hold in his farts, lest an inadvertant cutting of the cheese blew away the fabric of reality.

Samtemdo8:

Animated Series Superman and Snyder Superman so far are no where near as ridiculously powerful as Silver Age Superman who destroys whole Solar Systems by sneezing (and since then he's been nerfed fairly decently)

True, but even the DCAU repeatedly made the point that Superman was ridiculously overpowered compared to everyone else on Earth. See for instance TAS's Legacy (wherein a brainwashed Superman steamrolls the planet), and Justice League's Hereafter (wherein even J'onn asks "how many battles did we win just because he was there?"). See also the Tabula Rasa episodes, where Amazo copying Superman's powers was practically considered game over[1] and of course the "World of Cardboard" speech, wherein Superman notes that he has always made a point of holding back. Let me reemphasize that: This is a character who even the other monstrously powerful league members like the Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman viewed as hopelessly outmatching them and he cultivated that reputation while sandbagging.

Now mind you, I liked TAS and Justice League, and I thought they handled Superman well. But the times he was actually challenged were few and far between and ultimately justified in part as him giving himself a sizable handicap for everyone else's safety. I'd go so far as to say that even within those series, his best uses were less about his physical presence than it was about his reputation and the dynamic between him and the world around him; His golden boy reputation being stained by Darkseid brainwashing him, his fear and doubt after learning about his Justice Lord counterpart, the idea that he was the glue binding the Justice League together, or the fact that he'd love nothing more than to be living an unexceptional life among people like him (For the Man Who Has Everything).

The problem ultimately isn't that you can't make a good story with him, but that it doesn't translate especially well to a game format, because playing as Superman puts the spotlight on the weakest part of Superman as a character: his overwhelming abilities that should by rights trivialize most encounters.

[1] "Hera help us!" "She better! No one else can now!"

Whatever level of power for Superman to actually feel relatable in any conceivable way and be threatened with anything other than just kryptonite and galaxy-threatening-tier villains. If that currently exists, yay for that, that version is now my head canon

I think this:

WhiteFangofWhoa:
Despite complaints that he should be stronger, I feel the DCAU got it about right: He is shown to be the biggest powerhouse in the entire Justice League and, more importantly, one who inspires countless others to take up the cape with his heroism and dedication to virtue.

His biggest conflict is not usually defeating the enemy, but holding back to avoid causing catastrophic damage to the city/planet as well as accidentally killing villains he doesn't want to kill (the exceptions to his usual mercy being Darkseid, Mongol and occasionally Lex Luthor after he's done something particularly vile). Having the ability to fly around the planet so fast it rewinds time so he can save everyone on the second try defuses drama unless it's a one-time thing, done in a moment of absolute need. Likewise, giving him speed to match or exceed Flash combined with everything else he has removes the tactical element for just about any fight he's in.

As the comic book hero given the most Christ themes of any of them, his struggle is not necessarily in defeating evil directly by punching it in the face. It's in saving humanity from the dark impulses that drive them to destruction (though again he's likely given up on saving Luthor's soul by now, no surprise). All the power in the world won't always allow you to do that:

sums it up for better than I could.

Canadamus Prime:
I think this:

WhiteFangofWhoa:

Can you guys for once STOP using that one scene from All-Star Superman? There are more examples of Superman being heroic and virtuous than that!

Ever heard of Superman: Peace on Earth?!

Powerful but with the awareness that most of his major enemies (with one obvious exception) are technically stronger than him (darkseid, mongul, doomsday, etc)

Nowhere near the silver-age levels where you could just make up a new superpower on the spot.

Samtemdo8:

Canadamus Prime:
I think this:

WhiteFangofWhoa:

Can you guys for once STOP using that one scene from All-Star Superman? There are more examples of Superman being heroic and virtuous than that!

Ever heard of Superman: Peace on Earth?!

I have not heard of Superman: Peace on Earth. And I don't know what you're quoting me for, I didn't use the All-Star Superman example. I quoted WhiteFangofWhoa who did. I quoted him because of everything else he said, not because of the All-Star Superman example.

I like the Snyder level. Man of Steel is actually my favourite of all the Superman films after the first. I know, I know.

In relation to the rest of the Justice League, I feel like he should always be the strongest physically, but not the smartest or the fastest or the most versatile. (Flash should always be the fastest.) He should be the big gun.

Samtemdo8:

It's just an especially iconic scene.

I mean, in context, it's brilliant. Superman spends all his time running around saving people from increasingly-ridiculous catastrophes. And he stops in the middle of all that to save one person by doing something incredibly simple and insanely difficult at the same time, and he pulls it off, because he's Superman. He can punch a meteor into dust, move the moon, and restart the sun - and he can still stop and give you a hug when you need it most.

bastardofmelbourne:
He can punch a meteor into dust, move the moon, and restart the sun - and he can still stop and give you a hug when you need it most.

He could also have moved the ground much higher up so she didn't fall so far. Hugging is a cop-out.

I like the Animated Series version, where he isn't actually any less powerful than his other portrayals, but he doesn't know that.

Like, he doesn't know that he doesn't need a space suit, at least to start with, because how could he? He doesn't know he'll be fine if that bomb goes off, because he's never been in an explosion that big. He doesn't know how fast he is, because he's never needed to move that fast, etc. Sure, he could've stopped that plane in midair faster, but it seems hard and he doesn't have to. That's why all his saves look like they come down to the wire: he doesn't know his own power.

And then his growth as he leans into just how powerful he is.

The power level of 70s movie version minus the ability to turn back time. It would have been a better movie if he had to make a choice and sacrifice something for it. Super-Man needs almost god-like strength without the power of an actual god.

Baffle2:

bastardofmelbourne:
He can punch a meteor into dust, move the moon, and restart the sun - and he can still stop and give you a hug when you need it most.

He could also have moved the ground much higher up so she didn't fall so far. Hugging is a cop-out.

He could also just pick her up and put her on the ground, removing the imminent threat. There's actually a later story that did it better, where the woman on the ledge makes him swear that if she chooses to leap, he has to respect her decision and not interfere. They then spend all day on the ledge before she decides to come down.

Its a bunch of pages, not just a single image, so... https://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

bastardofmelbourne:
I like the Snyder level. Man of Steel is actually my favourite of all the Superman films after the first. I know, I know.

In relation to the rest of the Justice League, I feel like he should always be the strongest physically, but not the smartest or the fastest or the most versatile. (Flash should always be the fastest.) He should be the big gun.

Samtemdo8:

It's just an especially iconic scene.

I mean, in context, it's brilliant. Superman spends all his time running around saving people from increasingly-ridiculous catastrophes. And he stops in the middle of all that to save one person by doing something incredibly simple and insanely difficult at the same time, and he pulls it off, because he's Superman. He can punch a meteor into dust, move the moon, and restart the sun - and he can still stop and give you a hug when you need it most.

It just gives me the impression that no one has ever read any other Superman comic, but All Star Superman.

And to be honest I always found that particular scene unbelievably corny as fuck. A suicidal Goth/Emo girl? Really? How on the nose can you possibly be? And they wouldn't go as far as jump off a building, they cut thier arms to die bleeding, Supes would have saved her by cauterizing her cut with his heat vision.

As you can see I find All-Star Superman extremely overrated.

Elijin:

Baffle2:

bastardofmelbourne:

He could also just pick her up and put her on the ground, removing the imminent threat. There's actually a later story that did it better, where the woman on the ledge makes him swear that if she chooses to leap, he has to respect her decision and not interfere. They then spend all day on the ledge before she decides to come down.

Its a bunch of pages, not just a single image, so... https://imgur.com/gallery/Ijdxh

That's a really great moment for Superman, but how does that translate into games?! Do you just wait, put the controller down for 6 in-game hours, ignoring fires, bank robberies, those space viking raiders that are after Lois for her scathing opinion article about space viking fashion, all in the pursuit of this one woman, who if you accidentally pump the controller launches herself off the building, and you either accept her death and basically have wasted all your time, or save her and risk an Incredibles style lawsuit?

Superman's moments are either slow, humanizing and philosophical, or super OP I am God and my sneeze creates Galaxies. Neither of which translate well into video games.

Silentpony:

Elijin:

Baffle2:

That's a really great moment for Superman, but how does that translate into games?! Do you just wait, put the controller down for 6 in-game hours, ignoring fires, bank robberies, those space viking raiders that are after Lois for her scathing opinion article about space viking fashion, all in the pursuit of this one woman, who if you accidentally pump the controller launches herself off the building, and you either accept her death and basically have wasted all your time, or save her and risk an Incredibles style lawsuit?

Superman's moments are either slow, humanizing and philosophical, or super OP I am God and my sneeze creates Galaxies. Neither of which translate well into video games.

That was a whole lot of wasted breath, given Im not advocating for or against a game. I dont really care at all. I just saw the suicide girl image flying around and threw out a story I think does it better.

Golden Age Superman levels of powerful.

altnameJag:
I like the Animated Series version, where he isn't actually any less powerful than his other portrayals, but he doesn't know that.

Like, he doesn't know that he doesn't need a space suit, at least to start with, because how could he? He doesn't know he'll be fine if that bomb goes off, because he's never been in an explosion that big. He doesn't know how fast he is, because he's never needed to move that fast, etc. Sure, he could've stopped that plane in midair faster, but it seems hard and he doesn't have to. That's why all his saves look like they come down to the wire: he doesn't know his own power.

And then his growth as he leans into just how powerful he is.

This is the essence of what makes Superman a great character.

You and I know what his stats are, but in a world that can fracture by your sneeze, you dare not do anything.

Fear of yourself. Never, ever relaxing because you don't know what will happen if you do. Holding back the rage and the fear that you can never explore once because you might stamp so hard that the very Earth would split in two. How is that a boring character? Someone who will only know trials and tribulations, alienation from all because no one can quite get what it is like to be you. How you can never turn it off or look to anyone for guidance.

And because of that... everyone looks at you as a savior and a devil at the same time. This is why I hated that Batman Vs Superman came so early. I get why Man of Steel is what it is. Instead of having the honorable, courageous Pa Kent that the comics had, the DCCU had Bitch Pa Kent who just told Clark to run until the perfect time.

Giving Superman one movie to actually deal with the dichotomy of being truly alone in the Hero and Villain duel role this world placed him in would have done wonders. To explore his actual psyche instead of showing it to us and going "Yeah... that must suck... Now let's focus on Batman because you all think he's cooler!"

Superman can be as strong as he wants to be; the thing I like most about him is that, aside from a few weird "characters have to be abrasive because narrative" moments, he doesn't care about being super. Dude's just a guy that wants to do as much good as he can, but still play nice with others.
One time in the JLU cartoon, he was smacking around some thugs with Batman and holding a conversation while doing it. A pedantic internet person might look at that and say "well jeez, Superman is super, why doesn't he just take care of everything himself?" I look at that and think "aww, he's bonding with Batman and using that time to talk out some issues, how nice of him!" It wasn't about Superman's power, it was about him being a character, and it was awesome.

I don't care for any form of intergalactic, planet punching, god defying heroes. Heroes are interesting when they defy what we take for granted as true for us and live an interesting life dictated by what they do with their abilities. Spiderman is beloved because he's a photographer who struggles to pay his rent and gets bullied a lot. Wolverine people like because he is a barely tamed animal, a beast lurking underneath the surface, but he keeps his primal nature at bay by trying to be a hero.

Superman at his best stops bullets from hitting innocent people, stops trains falling off bridges, has to find an excuse to disappear so he can change from Clark to Superman and struggles with his sense of identity. If you believe David Carradine at the end of Kill Bill 2, Kal El is always Superman and Clark Kent is his disguise. I prefer Smallville's interpretation of the character, as being Clark Kent, son of Jonathan and Martha Kent, first and foremost. The character in the costume is a public persona, but Clark is the man with the same struggles and challenges that all of us have and he's the interesting one as a result.

I like Superman being the saviour of Metropolis, stopping crashing buildings, runaway cars and trains, falling planes, etc. As for breaking universes, punching gods or even worse, the Jesus allegory, I don't care for any of it. The trouble with him is that he's been built up to be their flagship character now, so like it or loathe it he's going to be DC's god punching numero uno.

I do love some of the discussions about him tho, such as how powerful his orgasm would be.

Silentpony:

Agent_Z:

Its just silly. A Superman game would just be silly.

His full power still wasn't enough to put down Darkseid.

There are plenty of video games with characters who in story are functionally invincible. See Bayonetta, Asura from Asura's Wrath, Dante from Devil May Cry, Lightning and Cloud from Final Fantasy, Alex Mercer from Prototype and his successor James Heller etc.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here