do people hate things that are mainstream or popular?

is it me or do people hate things that are mainstream or popular without reason?

I think its probably you...

A lot of people hate mainstream and popular things simply because they are such. Those people like to be different, just 'cause they can.

i hate mainstream and popular things entirely (excluding Gears of War 2 and WoW) because they generally suck or will get me hacked

occasionally yes...
i mainly hate mainstream music, i dunno why, im just a fan of the oldies and alternative stuff
and sometimes gothic or metal... XD
also hate mainstream fashion, i'd rather be comfy

seydaman:
is it me or do people hate things that are mainstream or popular without reason?

Definatly just you, without a doubt, absolutely.

insectoid:
A lot of people hate mainstream and popular things simply because they are such. Those people like to be different, just 'cause they can.

The irony being that in trying to be different, they wind up just like the other mass of people trying to be different.

I think it's simply because "Mainstream" tends to be lumped in with "Made for all Markets" which usually means a lower quality product. In this case, games tend to be worse off when they are marketed to more than just gamers.

Yeah, I see your point. Some people try to stay away from the mainstream because we have this mindset that involvement is uncool. However, I believe a lot of reasons people hate mainstream is because it ends up being a cash cow. Take the Jonas Brothers for exampl, they're talented musicians (and no one with half a brain can argue that) yet they are hated for being mainstream by making music that has already been made because the record company knows that little girls and teenagers all over the world will adore their unoriginal lyrics and cute looks. This is what I have heard, no one call me gay. So in a nutshell, yeah, a lot of peole hate mainstream things, but some people still like it. The difference is if people like it because of the label they put on it, or if they value the actual product for its worth.

It's always been trendy to hate the things which everyone else seems to like... some people will hate things that are mainstream for no reason other than that.

If people hated them, they wouldn't be mainstream... or by definition, popular. What people don't realise is that the two, whilst assumed to be synonyms, can be opposites too.
e.g. With M$ Windows being mainstream and marketed, people don't like it... plus the fact that it's mostly crap for programming certain things, thus these people move onto Mac or Linux, thereby making them more popular among a certain demographic, because they need them/can use them to a greater potential.

I think theres a couple of people who don't like it. I like it but there are somethings that are annoying.

HA! Something I might fit in at! :-)

As far as "mainstream" goes, it all comes down to Hype as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I can't stand hype.

Generally speaking, if I like something that most everyone else likes, I can deal with it, but I certainly don't go nuts over it.

If I don't really care about something (one way or another) and it is over-hyped, I will grow to loathe it. I have never seen the movie Shreck. Why? I am sick of hearing about it. Maybe I would have given it a chance, but I am sick of the hoopla and have sworn never to subject myself to suffering through it...

If I can't stand something from the get-go and it is overhyped, I want to get torches and pitchforks.

sometimes. for example, i hate Fred. I wouldn't have a problem with him if he actually DESERVED his popularity. Also I hate mainstream rock, rap, hiphop, ect. because it's all that's on the radio.

Kirosilence:

insectoid:

The irony being that in trying to be different, they wind up just like the other mass of people trying to be different.

Precisely, my friend.

Not that I like anything mainstream. I'm too different. I'm an individual. Get away, NOBODY COULD EVER UNDERSTAND ME!

seydaman:

I don't hate popular culture; I simply try to abstain from it. Buying into the mainstream, in my opinion, pushes you to simply settle for what is in front of you rather than find what it is that you really want. There are times that what is popular is also what you happen to like, but I refuse to like something simply because a bunch of other people think it's cool.

Sorry to post twice in a row, but...

Kirosilence:

insectoid:

And the further irony being that "freethinking" people have made this same argument millions of times over.

seydaman:

Is it me or do people only like things because they're mainstream or popular?

I mean really, think of how many music groups/artists there are in the world. The mainstream maybe shows you 25% of them, isn't it far more likely you'd enjoy something unknown than something known? And yet people label things that are unpopular as 'bad', because if it was good it would be popular. Right? RIGHT!??!

Well here's a personal example. I refuse to play as the ninja/pirates/aliens because so many people are playing them. So I felt compelled to be different, but zombies suck...

I used to love Kings of Leon, then Only By The Night became popular and now i kind of resent them for it. I know its so stupid and immature, but everytime some 40 year old woman says "Oh, have you heard of this new band the Knights of Leon?" a small part of me dies.

Like I always say. You are unique; just like everyone else. (I know it was on some badge...)

m_jim:

Kirosilence:

insectoid:

And the further irony being that "freethinking" people have made this same argument millions of times over.

This is just an incredibly ironic train of thought.

Kirosilence:

m_jim:

Kirosilence:

insectoid:

This is just an incredibly ironic train of thought.

Haha, and thus the cycle continues...

I hate something if there's a reason for me to do so. It's mind-numbingly simple.

I just hate things that suck. That includes (but is not exclusive to) some mainstream trends or objects.

People who bitch about Halo games
/proof

People are trying to be different, unique and cool so they go around saying that everything sucks and try to be like Yahtzee.

People are more likely to hate something if they're aware of it?

dashiz94:
Yeah, I see your point. Some people try to stay away from the mainstream because we have this mindset that involvement is uncool. However, I believe a lot of reasons people hate mainstream is because it ends up being a cash cow. Take the Jonas Brothers for exampl, they're talented musicians (and no one with half a brain can argue that) yet they are hated for being mainstream by making music that has already been made because the record company knows that little girls and teenagers all over the world will adore their unoriginal lyrics and cute looks. This is what I have heard, no one call me gay. So in a nutshell, yeah, a lot of peole hate mainstream things, but some people still like it. The difference is if people like it because of the label they put on it, or if they value the actual product for its worth.

THE JONAS brothers are talented, but the back up musicians are to. the thing is, there lyrics and everything about them is unoriginal. plus they cant solo.

I've got no problem with the mainstream as such, it's when something is created to appeal to the mainstream that it tends to lack in other areas.

In that case it tends to be aimed at the lowest common denominator to hit the largest audience, and therefore ends up not very satisfying to anyone, but 'ok' to many.

Stewart Lee covers this in his TV show, about the fact that 'Delboy falling thru the bar' is the funniest thing that's ever been on TV.

Of course, most popular and well known and most often repeated comedy scene, doesn't equate to funniest, but it satisfies polls and surveys and pleases the millions who enjoyed it.

He does make a good point about how the combined works of Monty Python and the Goons amount to nothing compared with a man who was vertical becoming horizontal.

It's the same reason that over here at least, Billy Connolly and Peter Kay often top the 'Funniest comedian ever' polls, you can't really quantify 'funniest', but you can say who's most popular. For my money, Louis CK kills me, but, you couldn't play his stuff to millions on a Saturday night without there being rioting in the streets because he said a bad word.

Personally I judge things based on whether I like them or not.
I'm not gonna label something as bad just because it's made by a certain person or anything. :)

People really just hate OVERRATED things. Popular things are popular because... Well, they're good. That's the difference between popular and overrated.

For example, I do not enjoy WoW (should I not have said that?)

Because this is popular.

The majority of people are stupid.
If stupid people like something, it has a high potential to be stupid.

I can understand why people stereotype mainstream as bad.

Some things that are popular are actually quite good. Like Tool and Radiohead. But many things that are popular are quite terrible, like Hannah Montana and Soulja Boy.

I always strictly believed that there are the individuals who hate things that become popular because it makes them feel less "unique". We all love that one band that no one else knows, I know that. It makes us feel like an individual. But then when you see everyone else wearing that band's t-shirt and listening to them exclusively, you feel more of the mainstream crowd and no longer an individual. It's just the way we are.

The thing that I never got were the people who wanted to be "different" and their way of doing so was just doing what everybody else was doing.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked