Did you find this helpful?
Yes
49.1% (1181)
49.1% (1181)
No
3.4% (82)
3.4% (82)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.8% (1102)
45.8% (1102)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

Cactus Frankie:

Warning Details
Post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.397620.16250003
Reason: Please do not insult moderators or Staff. If you don\'t like the site, leave.

Fuck you. I will relentlessly insult anyone who is a rape apologist or white knights a rape apologist. If you think your status as the moderator of an Internet forum (lol, what an accomplishment, your parents must be so proud) makes you part of some special class of people whose bullshit can't be called out, you are mistaken. You are also mistaken if you think these warnings are going to intimidate anyone older than 10.

Did you just make a racist/sexist remark or post something that may offend someone, even if it wasn't intended towards the rest of the community? Well, you might be in the running to receive one Grade A probation, courtesy of our friends the Mods!

But who moderates the moderators? Looks like they're free to be as offensive as they want to.

The staff moderate the moderators. If you have a problem with a moderation decision then that's what the appeal system is for.

From the code of conduct;

Have Respect for Others
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion. If you can't communicate without using combative, aggressive, or demeaning language, then please keep those comments to yourself, or be shown the door.

If you don't like someone's opinion then that's fine. It doesn't give you the right to insult them because of it.

Updated the OP of this thread too, so we have a current Moderator list.

So recently I got a warning for "Insulting the site's contributors," when I called Yahtzee a hypocritical douchebag.

Might I ask why this is, when he frequently goes out of his way to insult his audience?

itsmeyouidiot:
So recently I got a warning for "Insulting the site's contributors," when I called Yahtzee a hypocritical douchebag.

Might I ask why this is, when he frequently goes out of his way to insult his audience?

This question gets raised a lot.

The reason why he's allowed to do this in his videos, is that his videos AREN'T subject to the same rules as the forum here is.
The Code of Conduct only applies to the forum, NOT to any official contributor's content.

To put it another way, if Yahtzee said this sort of thing on the forum, he'd get punished for it that same as us.

sky14kemea:

The list doesn't include me or Eleu. You'll pay for this!

Edit: And it doesn't include Sush either!

Edited edit: Fixed it now. How could you forget us Sky? D:

TimeLord:

sky14kemea:

.....Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I'm not good at these things!

TopazFusion:

itsmeyouidiot:

The reason why he's allowed to do this in his videos, is that his videos AREN'T subject to the same rules as the forum here is.
The Code of Conduct only applies to the forum, NOT to any official contributor's content.

To put it another way, if Yahtzee said this sort of thing on the forum, he'd get punished for it that same as us.

Wow, I just lost all respect for the moderation on this site. I see absolutely no reason why the forums should be moderated at all if the site's contributions aren't bound by the same rules.

itsmeyouidiot:

TopazFusion:

itsmeyouidiot:

Wow, I just lost all respect for the moderation on this site. I see absolutely no reason why the forums should be moderated at all if the site's contributions aren't bound by the same rules.

From the Code of Conduct (which you have to agree to before you first post on the site and is readily available to read at any time):

Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be.

TimeLord:

itsmeyouidiot:

TopazFusion:

From the Code of Conduct (which you have to agree to before you first post on the site and is readily available to read at any time):

Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Forums exist for the purposes of discussing site contributions, but if the forums have restrictions that the content itself doesn't have, then you might as well not have a forum at all. There's no point in discussing content if the content isn't restricted but you are.

The Escapist either needs to change its Code of Conduct for the forums, or enact the same code for the site's contributions.

is it possible to earn brownie points or after 6 months not on probation and get your warnings removed so to speak? I am not reading 20 pages to find if someone has already posted this either.

kingthrall:
is it possible to earn brownie points or after 6 months not on probation and get your warnings removed so to speak? I am not reading 20 pages to find if someone has already posted this either.

After 6 months, you go down an infraction level. It won't remove your past warnings, but it prevents your health bar from climbing even higher the next time.

So if you haven't been on Probation for 6 months, you won't be put straight back on it the next time you receive an infraction.

I don't think there's a way to gain brownie points to have them removed directly. =P

The mod above answered the exact same time I did...

Uncanny O.o

PsychicTaco115:
The mod above answered the exact same time I did...

Uncanny O.o

*fwip fwip* :D

You can't outweb a spidermod!

sky14kemea:

TimeLord:

sky14kemea:

You forgot about me? After you spent all that time training me...

Eleuthera:

sky14kemea:

TimeLord:

You forgot about me? After you spent all that time training me...

I didn't put you on the list when I first edited it, 'cause you didn't have the blue name yet. I was gonna go back to it. :/

itsmeyouidiot:

The Escapist either needs to change its Code of Conduct for the forums, or enact the same code for the site's contributions.

Why's that? The site contributers being able to say anything makes for funny videos, and it'd be a lot more boring otherwise. Forum goes being able to say anything leads to an unmoderated cesspool that is boring and stupid to read through, and filled with angry idiots shouting bullshit at eachother over nothing. This is the best of both worlds, the forums aren't total ragefests and the videos can still be funny.

If you want unmoderated discussion, you can go to 4chan or reddit.

What's The Escapist's policy on general racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic slurs when not directed at any forum member in particular? Are words like homo/fag/tranny/nigger/spic/monkey/kike etc OK to throw around?

I only ask because I've attempted to report homophobic/transphobic slurs in the past with no result, and right now there's a thread in R&P which starts off by referring to Asian-Americans as "Yellow Americans" and actually managed to get more racist from there. I tried reporting it and - again - nothing happened.

The Code of Conduct appears to take a general stance against sexist/racist language but I've never seen it enforced. Maybe it's just because it's not directed at any particular forum member in particular, but I can't imagine it paints a great impression of The Escapist when LGBT people/racial minorities drop by and see themselves cheerfully described with offensive language, while people are getting warnings for using the word "idiot".

boots:
What's The Escapist's policy on general racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic slurs when not directed at any forum member in particular? Are words like homo/fag/tranny/nigger/spic/monkey/kike etc OK to throw around?

I only ask because I've attempted to report homophobic/transphobic slurs in the past with no result, and right now there's a thread in R&P which starts off by referring to Asian-Americans as "Yellow Americans" and actually managed to get more racist from there. I tried reporting it and - again - nothing happened.

The Code of Conduct appears to take a general stance against sexist/racist language but I've never seen it enforced. Maybe it's just because it's not directed at any particular forum member in particular, but I can't imagine it paints a great impression of The Escapist when LGBT people/racial minorities drop by and see themselves cheerfully described with offensive language, while people are getting warnings for using the word "idiot".

If you spam the same report button you might end up setting off the automatic spam detection on this site, basically deleting all those reports you've just done and stopping our inbox's getting filled with spam.

Hit it once, its all that is needed, for you want us to have a closer look at an issue then you can either PM us directly or use the Moderation User Group. using this thread helps of course.

DigitalSushi:

If you spam the same report button you might end up setting off the automatic spam detection on this site, basically deleting all those reports you've just done and stopping our inbox's getting filled with spam.

Hit it once, its all that is needed, for you want us to have a closer look at an issue then you can either PM us directly or use the Moderation User Group. using this thread helps of course.

I only ever click the report button once. I figured that was all that was needed.

Again, I'm interested to know whether The Escapist has any kind of policy against using racist and homophobic slurs. Is it OK for forum members to describe groups of people as n***rs or f*gs, so long as they're not directing it at a particular member?

boots:

DigitalSushi:

I only ever click the report button once. I figured that was all that was needed.

Again, I'm interested to know whether The Escapist has any kind of policy against using racist and homophobic slurs. Is it OK for forum members to describe groups of people as n***rs or f*gs, so long as they're not directing it at a particular member?

No its not OK, its an insulting pejorative.

DigitalSushi:

boots:

DigitalSushi:

Thank you.

DigitalSushi:

This point may need elaboration, because what Boots posted here is quite different from what Boots originally claimed. Boots' post pretty much rested on that his opinion on the meaning of a word should determine it's bannability.
There was discussion [url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.389495-Possible-Solutions-to-Impossible-Standards-Religion-Politics-and-Moderation?page=7]here[url] where he, unless that came across all wrong, insisted that context doesn't matter, what others thinks about the meaning of a word doesn't matter, and style figures containing words he considers wrong should be bannable as well.

More concretely he took offense to using the word indians to signifiy various indian tribes in Northern America, while that's a perfectly normal term pretty much anywhere outside of politically correct fringe groups. So normal, encyclopedias even mention it as a meaning of the word: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian So making a fuss about it would be rather closedminded and intolerant towards other cultures. It seems only sensible to respect other people, and their culture, so if it's normal for them to not get hysterical about using politically-correct language, that should be respected. For instance one consequence of what Boots wants, would be that many forum members who are black would need to be banned, because in their culture it's common to refer to eachother as nigger, or just as black, both of which Boots thinks are always racist words.

So basically his question was about changing the mod's decision from:
"Is this post racist?"
to
"Does this post contain any words on the forbidden list?" (without even looking at the intention of the post)

And the latter seems illogical. So how will it work?

Is Boots right, or will posts be judged based on if there's actual racism in them or not?

As a note, I never said the word "black" was racist. In fact I explicitly said it's word that I use, since I'm from the UK to it would be weird if we went around calling each other "African-American" over here. I said that referring to Asians as "Yellow Americans" and Native Americans as "Red Americans" was racist, because it is, and I also argued that the word "nigger" was racist (something that Blablahb disagrees with).

The post that was originally called into question got a warning, so I figure the issues been dealt with.

Great pointers in here thank you, I always try to act my best but this will help me even more.

Can someone please clarify what qualifies as sexism around here? Apparently calling women who don't dress modestly enough for your tastes "sluts" and comparing them to objects who have sex robbed from them isn't sexist according to the Escapists standards, so I would be fascinated to know what is.

manic_depressive13:
Can someone please clarify what qualifies as sexism around here? Apparently calling women who don't dress modestly enough for your tastes "sluts" and comparing them to objects who have sex robbed from them isn't sexist according to the Escapists standards, so I would be fascinated to know what is.

That's not nice, could you link me the comment please and I'll take a look at it.

southparkdudz:
Great pointers in here thank you, I always try to act my best but this will help me even more.

Its good this sort of things helps, also you can join the Moderation Team user group for further clarification and as another way to quickly get hold of the mods here
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Moderation-Team

oh and the mods here have blue names, just so you know.

DigitalSushi:

manic_depressive13:

That's not nice, could you link me the comment please and I'll take a look at it.

It's not 'a' post. Go through this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.401808-The-Provocative-Clothing-Rape-Defense?page=1

and ctrl-f "slut", then read those posts. Here, I'll help you out a bit. These are all from the second page alone:

A moderator actually responded to this next one later in the thread saying that "We don't tolerate language like [retard] here" and then proceeded to tolerate the shit out of it seeing as it wasn't moderated in any way.

This isn't even counting the people who compared women to objects who have sex 'stolen' from them like a car or a house. Several women on this site have expressed disappointment with the lack of moderation surrounding sexism on these forums. If you want to have a clause in the Code of Conduct saying you don't tolerate sexism, I suggest you at least define sexism, because by you are alienating your female forum-goers with how shockingly tolerant you are of it.

manic_depressive13:

DigitalSushi:

manic_depressive13:

It's not 'a' post. Go through this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.401808-The-Provocative-Clothing-Rape-Defense?page=1

and ctrl-f "slut", then read those posts. Here, I'll help you out a bit. These are all from the second page alone:

A moderator actually responded to this next one later in the thread saying that "We don't tolerate language like [retard] here" and then proceeded to tolerate the shit out of it seeing as it wasn't moderated in any way.

This isn't even counting the people who compared women to objects who have sex 'stolen' from them like a car or a house. Several women on this site have expressed disappointment with the lack of moderation surrounding sexism on these forums. If you want to have a clause in the Code of Conduct saying you don't tolerate sexism, I suggest you at least define sexism, because by you are alienating your female forum-goers with how shockingly tolerant you are of it.

manic_depressive13:

DigitalSushi:

manic_depressive13:

Firstly Manic, I'd like to apologise for taking so long to get back to you on this matter.

I find it troubling that you and other people feel that we are tolerant of sexism, I'll admit that I'm not perfect and I do fuck up sometimes, I've emailed all of the mods with regards to this issue to get a round table discussion on this matter.

If someone reports a post, can you guys tell what the reporting was for?

Like, say I report a post for being in a wrong section; can you tell that it's just in the wrong section or what?

PsychicTaco115:

Like, say I report a post for being in a wrong section; can you tell that it's just in the wrong section or what?

It's probably best to ask this question in the Mod Group.

In fact, to answer your question, if you want to bring an entire thread to the attention of the mods (as opposed to an individual post), so it can be moved etc, it's a good idea to post about it in that group.

PsychicTaco115:

Yeah, like @TopazFusion said, you'll get answers more quickly/easier in the Mod Group.
However since I'm here anyway. No, we can't see what a post was flagged for. We can see the post itself (obviously) and where it's posted, so if it's obviously a report for being in the wrong section we'll notice.

DigitalSushi:
Firstly Manic, I'd like to apologise for taking so long to get back to you on this matter.

I find it troubling that you and other people feel that we are tolerant of sexism, I'll admit that I'm not perfect and I do fuck up sometimes, I've emailed all of the mods with regards to this issue to get a round table discussion on this matter.

Uhuh. I don't mean to be rude but I'm patiently awaiting your verdict here.

manic_depressive13:

I'll give you my reply then. The topic was brought up with the mods in general, and it will probably not come as a surprise that we're not 100% in agreement. I don't know if an official line will be communicated, but here's my view as I posted it in the mod-discussion:

Since he posted that complaint I've wanted to reply a few times, but since this all happened outside my jurisdiction and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes I refrained from doing so.

IMO, the issues brought forward by this user aren't sexism, they're definitely not nice, but calling a subgroup of women 'slut' and not all of them is pretty much by definition not sexism. The issue he has with "comparing women to houses, who have sex stolen from them" I also don't really agree with, I think it's a rather apt comparison usually.

I don't really have any good ideas as to how to communicate this to the user(s) though. I feel just explaining why I feel this way will only lead to more discussion :(

Keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and not any official stance of either the Escapist or the mods as a group.

Eleuthera:

manic_depressive13:

I'll give you my reply then. The topic was brought up with the mods in general, and it will probably not come as a surprise that we're not 100% in agreement. I don't know if an official line will be communicated, but here's my view as I posted it in the mod-discussion:

Since he posted that complaint I've wanted to reply a few times, but since this all happened outside my jurisdiction and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes I refrained from doing so.

IMO, the issues brought forward by this user aren't sexism, they're definitely not nice, but calling a subgroup of women 'slut' and not all of them is pretty much by definition not sexism. The issue he has with "comparing women to houses, who have sex stolen from them" I also don't really agree with, I think it's a rather apt comparison usually.

I don't really have any good ideas as to how to communicate this to the user(s) though. I feel just explaining why I feel this way will only lead to more discussion :(

Keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and not any official stance of either the Escapist or the mods as a group.

Woooow, okay. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I did have some vestiges of hope that have now been quite thoroughly dashed.

Saying "Some women are sluts" is about as not sexist as saying "Some black people are niggers" isn't racist. "Slut" is a slur designed to shame women who enjoy their sexuality. It's fucking horrifying that you would say it's not sexist. You could argue that some people use "slut" to describe men, but some people use "nigger" to describe white people, and some people call their straight friends "faggots". Personal usage doesn't change the shameful historical origins and cultural connotations of slurs.

And pray, how is it "a rather apt comparison" to compare women to houses? Last I checked my vagina didn't have a lock, but I'll go check a second time, and while I'm at it I may as well wash some of the vomit out of my mouth.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here