Why do some people correct others?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

If you've been on this site for more than five seconds you may have noticed people correct each other's spelling and grammar whenever they see fit.

I'm not one to do it myself, but apparently everyone else on here is. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a good thing infact, as long as your not a dick about it, though I'm sure that rule applies to most things.

The question I ask is this: Why do people correct others? It's not like they have to, they're doing it voluntarily, so there must be a reason behind it.

[Note: Yes, search bar nazi's. I did search, but the threads I found seemed to outline the fact that it was a bad thing. They didn't specifically ask why people do it.]

Because I can.

I like to show off.

Honestly, I don't correct people unless they start being dicks, whereupon I will point out every flaw I can find.

I'm assuming the title was to try and get people to correct you so you could prove your point? I generally only correct pronunciation, unless your spelling or grammar is so bad that I can't read it.

Too much frikkin ego.
Well that kinda depends. Sometimes people have such horrible spelling that you can honestly not understand it without some type of freaking decoder ring.
A few typos here and there and I have no problem with it but l33t sp33k and txt tpng is just unacceptable.

Edit: I noticed this ages ago but am I the only one that finds it hilarious Max is usually the first one to reply to every topic. Some of which are quite long and well presented arguments but still in before the one line crowd.
Omfg... Max is not real! He is the first AI so has that advantage! Also explains the lack of interest in sex and more damningly the uninterest in kittens!

Oh, everything but your title is perfect, FIX IT!

Anyway i have no idea, i like that people on here are sticklers for spelling and grammar keeps things clean and so unlike every other web forum. Like you said, as long as they arent a dick im completely fine with it. I think for some its the superiority thing, others just common courtesy.

EDIT: If i disagree with you, its because you are wrong.

I'm only likely to do it if the person repeatedly misuses they're/their/there or you're/your
Those just really irritate me.

MaxTheReaper:
Because I can.

I like to show off.

Honestly, I don't correct people unless they start being dicks, whereupon I will point out every flaw I can find.

And that sounds just like you, Max! Wait for a screwup, then pounce from the shadows! :-P

I like to correct people when I know I'm right, or their being ignorant. I have no greater bane than misinformed people who heard it 'sometime' 'somewhere' from 'my friend' or whatever. I mean its like that bonsai kitten thing and how people were all up in arms about that for the longest time. YOU ARE WRONG MY FRIEND. WRONG.

black lincon:
I'm assuming the title was to try and get people to correct you so you could prove your point? I generally only correct pronunciation, unless your spelling or grammar is so bad that I can't read it.

Yes. [/lie]

For me there's two sides to the correction issue. First: It annoys me when people type things, or pronounce things incorrectly. It feels like razor blades dragging against my spine when people say irregardless or nucular. Secondly, I think it's for the persons benefit. Would you rather go through life saying something wrong and have everyone laugh at you behind your back, or would you rather have a person call you out on it and correct yourself? The truth isn't always kind, but it's better than a lie.

Your title is an example of why you should, I can barely understand it.

For another example, I will tip3 teh rast 0f thiz p0s7 w1th oot punktuaton and spallin plz n0t3 h0\/\/ i7 1z kn0t ez 2 reed>

And it can be kind of fun if done right. And in good humor.

i dont correct others, because my spelling is bad, and its hard to type with one hand.

Grammar and spelling should be mastered in their fullest extent by at least middle school if it's your primary language.

Well, wouldn't you want the english language to be preserved?

Leorex:
i dont correct others, because my spelling is bad, and its hard to type with one hand.

One hand? Do I really dare to ask why?

Sparrow Tag:
If you've been on this site for more than five seconds you may have noticed people correct each other's spelling and grammar whenever they see fit.

I'm not one to do it myself, but apparently everyone else on here is. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a good thing infact, as long as your not a dick about it, though I'm sure that rule applies to most things.

The question I ask is this: Why do people correct others? It's not like they have to, they're doing it voluntarily, so there must be a reason behind it.

[Note: Yes, search bar nazi's. I did search, but the threads I found seemed to outline the fact that it was a bad thing. They didn't specifically ask why people do it.]

Because people are wrong........on the internet!!!!

I don;t mind it sometimes but people really have to realize the the world is not perfect nor dose it care for your whining... and that gose for both sides of the argument....

I don't mind being wrong I am human after all that much responsibility I can take...however my grammar and spelling I'll blame on my Dyslexia/Dysgraphia and my ADHD which makes me a case of TMI and TL:DR all rolled up in a loving but hopefully incoherent fuzz ball who dose well at making an ass of self.

TaborMallory:
Grammar and spelling should have been mastered in its fullest extent by at least middle school if it's your primary language.

When the school system is not a joke nor thoroughly broken perhaps until then one is lucky to master at least one skill that puts food on their table.

Psychosocial:
Well, wouldn't you want the english language to be preserved?

Leorex:

One hand? Do I really dare to ask why?

ied

TaborMallory:
Grammar and spelling should have been mastered in its fullest extent by at least middle school if it's your primary language.

I have to agree, Tabor. And for the people who think it isn't such a big deal whether it's right or not, consider the fact that most people will assume you're probably younger and 14 if your spelling and grammar are terrible. And on the flipside of that, people will think you're older and more mature if you type correctly.

A good example of this: I had a hard time believing that Max and Orannis were both younger than myself because of their penmanship. And I sometimes forget that Metatr0n is older for the opposite reason. (No offense meant to the parties involved.)

If a surgeon is about to amputate the wrong leg, you're damned right I'm going to correct him because he/she is wrong and must be told before the patient gets hopping mad.

One thing I can say about your post: Infact is not a word.
I've never corrected anyone on spelling or grammar on this site. I could mind you.
Frequent annoyances are: There, their and they're. We're, where and were. Then and than. I'd be happy if people learned the difference.
Oh yeah, you used the wrong "your."

I don't correct peoples' grammar if they just make one mistake. Or even two. Or even if it's still readable.

I correct people when they say things such as "NO JOO LAWL NUB. Nuh UH."
or if someone starts being an asshole, in which case I correct their grammar whenever I can, and then they usually correct mine back.
It may diminish my first post correcting their grammar, but it makes the forums look nicer...

MaxTheReaper:
Because I can.

I like to show off.

Honestly, I don't correct people unles they start being dicks, whereupon I will point out every flaw I can find.

You spelled unless wrong.

I might be over-analising, but I think it's because people like feeling better than other people, and this becomes more and more blatant the smarter (anylising?) and smarter someone gets (not true in all cases), and there is (hopefully) a point where they realise that doing that can make them seem (analysing?) like an idiot (different for different people), but language is a pretty fundamental part of our society, and an opportunity to prove that "UR DOIN IT WRORNG!" can be a bit too tempting for some people. On the other hand, if someone has made it very clear that they don't know how to spell a word, a helpful poke probably wouldn't be unwanted.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

(Anilising?)

Sparrow Tag:

I'm not one to do it myself, but apparently everyone else on here is. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's a good thing in fact, as long as you're not a dick about it, though I'm sure that rule applies to most things.

[Note: Yes, search bar Nazis. I did search, but the threads I found seemed to outline the fact that it was a bad thing. They didn't specifically ask why people do it.]

I'm guessing you left those in there for some asshole like me to find. That, or somebody up there loves me to bits.

In any case, why not correct others on the Internet? Technically, you're helping them out, nobody can criticize you for it (unless you're being obviously dickish), and you get that sense of self-gratification that comes from being superior to somebody. Or at least, you get that feeling after you correct somebody's grievous massacre of the English tongue.

I don't tend to correct others on The Escapist, unless it is in a tongue in cheek fashion. I tend to correct others in real life more than I do online; I don't think about it, it just happens.

I don't correct people (here on the Escapist), I just tend to ignore people and posts that are embarassingly misspelled or poorly written. If it's a hard word that's another story, but for grammar, typos and spelling errors in words with less letters than the word 'error' they flip the little lever in my brain marked 'care'. The way I see it, if someone doesn't care enough about what they're saying to make sure it's spelled or written correctly, then there's no reason why I should care about what their saying either.

The "broken windows" theory for websites:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/198203/broken-windows

The more bad spelling you allow in, the more people feel comfortable letting other aspects of the quality of their posts slide.

SharPhoe:

TaborMallory:

I have to agree, Tabor. And for the people who think it isn't such a big deal whether it's right or not, consider the fact that most people will assume you're probably younger and 14 if your spelling and grammar are terrible. And on the flipside of that, people will think you're older and more mature if you type correctly.

A good example of this: I had a hard time believing that Max and Orannis were both younger than myself because of their penmanship. And I sometimes forget that Metatr0n is older for the opposite reason. (No offense meant to the parties involved.)

I would say that speaking skill IE communication is more important than great grammar and spelling, perfect or even great grammar and spelling is like calculus and algebra its unneeded in common day to day life.

The US school system can barely teach the 3 R's and because no one wants to create an achievement based learning system where if a teacher's can not teach or gets bad grades is fired it they can teach they can be paid as much as they supposedly indispensable administrators who get 80K+ a year.... . (even going as far to fire incompetent administrators IE principles and above who do nothing to make the system better).

But I suppose as long as the nation lusts after sports and not academia that's where all our effort will go into....

Why do people correct each other online? Because they feel it is there job to do it on a daily basis, to make sure that when your posting on a forum you comb over your sentences 15 times to make sure that it is correct.

But in all seriousness I have no idea.

Cheeze_Pavilion:
The "broken windows" theory for websites:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/198203/broken-windows

The more bad spelling you allow in, the more people feel comfortable letting other aspects of the quality of their posts slide.

I can say the same thing about letting people speak their own minds.... if you let people think they will say dumb sht but if you force them to remain almost prefect all the time and only posting about specific monotone things everyone has fun and is perfect sharing in their own bland little internet world.....right? RIGHT?!?!!?!

ZippyDSMlee:

Zippy... Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting for a good chance to use that exact picture? And you go an ninja it in before I even know the thread exists.
*baaaawww*

ANYHOO.
To the OP's question...

English is the ultimate language, because it has pieces of almost every language in it. English, is Voltron. Latin, Spanish, French, German, Russian... Singly these languages are weak. But when they combine together into English, they can defeat any other, such as Japanese. Japanese came stomping into town, and English sent it packing. Now, Japanese has English in it, instead of the other way around.

And when people use English improperly, the powers of light must correct it. Because bad English cannot form Voltron, and would leave us defenseless. Then, just any old tongue could come in and take us over. Do you really want the entire Internet speaking Navajo? I didn't think so. So we must all do our part, and keep English strong.

OCD

Khell_Sennet:

ZippyDSMlee:

Zippy... Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting for a good chance to use that exact picture? And you go an ninja it in before I even know the thread exists.
*baaaawww*

ANYHOO.
To the OP's question...

English is the ultimate language, because it has pieces of almost every language in it. English, is Voltron. Latin, Spanish, French, German, Russian... Singly these languages are weak. But when they combine together into English, they can defeat any other, such as Japanese. Japanese came stomping into town, and English sent it packing. Now, Japanese has English in it, instead of the other way around.

And when people use English improperly, the powers of light must correct it. Because bad English cannot form Voltron, and would leave us defenseless. Then, just any old tongue could come in and take us over. Do you really want the entire Internet speaking Navajo? I didn't think so. So we must all do our part, and keep English strong.

My apologies I am rarely so on the ball as I am today. *bow*

Heres a odd question/rebuttal to your post, English is an agleam of many languages that was shaped over time to become what we know as English today but its a living language and this able to change and evolve over time. And its because it is a living language with multiple offshoots and slang's or subs there is no improper way to communicate with it because of its multiple heritage and continuing evolution, what I am trying to say so many use it and no matter the...er....dialect of it(English) we all pretty much know what is being said.

Now I will give you in academia there are more proper ways to do it.... but like so much in academia it is to annoying for the layman to stick to such pompous if not snobbish bloviation......

/Incoherent Intellectual

Khell_Sennet:

English is the ultimate language, because it has pieces of almost every language in it. English, is Voltron. Latin, Spanish, French, German, Russian ... but when they combine together into English,

I couldn't read that without thinking of Captain Planet.

Latin, Spanish, French, German, Russian! With these powers combined I am: Captain English!

The point is that when you write out a whole wall of text in a discussion, often the other person just says "zomg you forgot the capitals in PETA!" instead of actually reacting to what you said..

headshotcatcher:
The point is that when you write out a whole wall of text in a discussion, often the other person just says "zomg you forgot the capitals in PETA!" instead of actually reacting to what you said..

What happened to TL:DR?

ZippyDSMlee:

headshotcatcher:

What happened to TL:DR?

The retards took it back to 4chan

Heh if only

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked