How to pick up a librarian.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Right, this is how it is.

I signed up to my new, local library today because I had 30 minutes to kill before I met some friends . Turns out it has some pretty good books on local history in there, and one of which was extremely useful in the book im writing, so i took it.

Anyway... I take it up to the counter, and damn! The librarian is hot.

Not wearing a bucket of make up, not dressed tartily. Hair up, she is wearing glasses. But, this girl was beautiful, had a nice smile, well spoken. Just my type. Naturally, I go to jelly and manage to just about make enough noise to give her my details to register for a library card and that was about it.

I am by no means, Brad Pitt, but Im not an ugly guy either. Im over 6 feet tall, got a solid 250lb frame and I have had what id consider medium to good luck with girls in the past. Im just incredibly, incredibly shy and every relationship I have ever been in in the past has come from me being friends with the person first and something developing. Iv never had to try to "chat someone up", or picked someone up in a club or a pub or whatever, let alone a library...

So, fellow Escapists, I come to you for advice. What should a shy guy do to try and break the ice? Anyone been in a similar situation before?

Good luck, and i would suggest winging it, more than i could ever do :(

I have real problems with talking to people nevermind women, i mean actual people not typing >..>

I should get out more ...

uhhhhhh...

i have no idea XD good luck to you sir!

a joke is always a good ice breaker, its just thinking of a good joke...

ill cross my fingers for you :)

Perhaps a simple hello would work, an introduction. Or do what I did with my wife, be blunt and just ask for her number.

For a librarian, perhaps you can start discussing certain books, ask her if she'd like some coffee to discuss books. If it's meant to be, it will click in place.

What we need here however, is a ladies' opinion here.

Just introduce yourself, talk to her about anything. Books is a good place to start (duh) then move on to other things, find something you could go do together?

Just star a conversation about books, and if it goes good from there ask her out.

Catch the same train as her, then save her from a drunk.

(if no one got that, that's fine too)

She's a librarian, talk about books.

Just start chatting till you find a common interest and go from there perhaps. Or ask what kinda books she likes and see if she can recommend you one. Means next time you see her can talk about that as it is already something she likes at least you will get a dialogue goin.

Otherwise the cheesy chatup option but this doesn't work on everyone!

Just go up to her, start up some conversation and then ask for a date.

Cpt_Oblivious:
Just introduce yourself, talk to her about anything. Books is a good place to start (duh) then move on to other things, find something you could go do together?

This man speaks the truth.

Now is it me or does the Escapist need a relationship advice section?

Go up and say, "Sooo, you like....books?"

I intend to go back to pick over some of the books that are on the subject Im writing about anyway, possibly monday or maybe saturday during the day as I have nothing planned. I figure if I spend a bit of time in there, reading up and taking notes, I'll have to talk to her eventually!

This shit is so much easier in Fable II.

You are SO asking in the wrong place buddy, really, go ask somewhere where the advice is better than 'talk and ask for a date'

If it helps, just imagine a conversation pie next to her head.

For safety reasons, when you pick up a librarian you need to lift with your knees and not with your back

"So can I check you out?!"

On a second thought no don't say that, just ask if she wants go grab a coffee after work.

first thing before you get too worked up....check for rings......

Just walk up there and say hi. Thats what I would do anyway.
Cheesy lines and random displays of strength would make you look like some silly peacock.

Stalking.

Stalking is always a good option. Take photos of her while she's not looking, then fill your house walls with them.
After that, try to find out where her house is.
Writing "I love you and I want your babies" on her door with your own blood is always a good ice-breaker.

I say become a regular there. Go often, if you're writing a book, the you can get more done for that.
Eventually, you'll need to ask her for stuff. Hopefully more than once. She'll help you, and you can take away less and less of the timidity during those quick chats. If you must, put some quick small talk in there. A friendship may blossom in those small discussions.
When you're further along, I suggest you ask her out.

Matronadena:

Haha! Trust me, thats the first thing I did when I was checking the book out. Not a single ring on any finger!

Start out with getting a recommendation of a book from her, then ask her out for coffee. This might provide some conversation later on on your second date :)

ThePoodonkis:
I say become a regular there. Go often, if you're writing a book, the you can get more done for that.
Eventually, you'll need to ask her for stuff. Hopefully more than once. She'll help you, and you can take away less and less of the timidity during those quick chats. If you must, put some quick small talk in there. A friendship may blossom in those small discussions.
When you're further along, I suggest you ask her out.

You know, I think this is the thing for it. Im useless playing the short game, if I even tried to ask for her number out right Id come across like a) an idiot b) a player. Im definatley not B, A.. well, thats debatable.

look for books called "Breaking the ice" and "How to pick up a librarian" maybe if you give them to her with a smile she'll get the hint.

Would not advise this really but it might pay off

Gunstar Hero:

Matronadena:

Haha! Trust me, thats the first thing I did when I was checking the book out. Not a single ring on any finger!

good, I can't recall how many times I've been approached without anyone even bothering to check...... granted my wedding ring is a steel band with Celtic knotwork on it...so it may throw them off because I don't have a huge chunk of ice on a platinum band or something.

FleaJr:
You are SO asking in the wrong place buddy, really, go ask somewhere where the advice is better than 'talk and ask for a date'

But... really, what else is there?

Wait until she notices that you've been staring at her for the last hour?

A well spoken girl, especially a good looking one is gonna be smart/experienced enough to know what you seek probably 2 minutes after you start to "pick her up". Before you approach you may want to consider an exit strategy. Don't go up to her with the sole intention of just asking her out, have another reason for going up there, checking out another book would work, you'll see why later.

My suggestion would be to use something a bit obvious, and just be yourself. Its fine if you're a bit shy, she might even like that about you. Just be like "Hey, would you like to go grab a drink sometime?" (this implies alcohol btw) or replace drink with coffee if you want. If she's bright, she'll know what you are doing and either say yes or no at that point. If yes, you're off, exchange information and then at a later time, set a time to meet. If she says no, shrug it off, "Oh, alright, no worries, do you have the book....blah blah blah". This tactic may work in your favor, as you approached, she shot you down, but its okay, your life goes on. This shows confidence and may change her mind about you if her first impression was not favorable.

At the very least, the "exit strategy" allows you to conformably continue to talk to her without feeling embarrassed and at the very least, have a chance to be friends.

find a girl who's not a librarian?
or is that not an option? i just find librarians to be very high maintenance and always busy

but if you must go for her, when you check your book back in, leave a poem about her in it (just dont make it creepy) - her icy heart will melt straight away and she'll fall for you

then you just play it cool as if you forgot you left the poem in there

This is honest advice.

Ask her what her opinion is about some random terrible book.

May i suggest that you talk to her first?
Get to know her a bit more? find out her name, interests, after a while maybe invite her out to somewhere she'd like?
And no, not about books. Unless she starts the topic on books, or you find out she has a burning unstoppable passion for books, don't go there at the start.
Keep the topic generalised to get a better picture of her likes and dislikes.
It might help if she thinks you see more in her than just books.

This all being said, I could be completely wrong considering i don't know the person.

womens intuition is fun!

Just keep checking out books that will make her think you're a really good catch, or try cheesy humour.

Ask her if they have any copies of 'Breaking The Ice: A Shy Gentleman's Guide To Asking Out Beautiful Women' or 'How To Pick A Librarian' by U.R. Gorgeous.

In all seriousness thought, I don't really have a clue about these sorts of things, but the best of luck to you.

Jamash:

Ask her if they have any copies of 'How To Pick A Librarian' by U.R. Gorgeous.

Haha, you know what... that might just work!

Give her your number and run.

..Or maybe not haha..

I say Be afraid, be very afraid.

(Constains mild nudity, no *nakedness* and adult themes. Generic teenage-movie sex-scene with a twist.)

Oh, and it's the librarian from Tomcats by the way.

Gunstar Hero:
Right, this is how it is.

I signed up to my new, local library today because I had 30 minutes to kill before I met some friends . Turns out it has some pretty good books on local history in there, and one of which was extremely useful in the book im writing, so i took it.

Anyway... I take it up to the counter, and damn! The librarian is hot.

Not wearing a bucket of make up, not dressed tartily. Hair up, she is wearing glasses. But, this girl was beautiful, had a nice smile, well spoken. Just my type. Naturally, I go to jelly and manage to just about make enough noise to give her my details to register for a library card and that was about it.

I am by no means, Brad Pitt, but Im not an ugly guy either. Im over 6 feet tall, got a solid 250lb frame and I have had what id consider medium to good luck with girls in the past. Im just incredibly, incredibly shy and every relationship I have ever been in in the past has come from me being friends with the person first and something developing. Iv never had to try to "chat someone up", or picked someone up in a club or a pub or whatever, let alone a library...

So, fellow Escapists, I come to you for advice. What should a shy guy do to try and break the ice? Anyone been in a similar situation before?

The books you loan most likely say something about your personality. You could try to find a common ground in that direction. Ive been through the same thing you have except in my case it was a cash out girl at a supermarket. I have no idea how to impress a woman with groceries.

Maybe you can show her a book you like and ask her if she knows if theres anything similair she coudl suggest. Then ask her what she likes etc. Its a great way to start a conversation.

Take it slow, build it up with casual conversation. No offense, but you said yourself your no Brad Pitt and your shy. that means your probably not onenight stand material capable of picking up women on a whim, neither am I. Trying to be like that will only end up in failure so take it steady.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked