Is it rude to not say "You're welcome"

Here's something I was talking to some friends about. Someone says "thank you" to you. Is it rude to respond with something other than "you're welcome"? I know I hear the response of "no problem" a lot. Has "no problem" taken the place of "you're welcome"?

Not in the slightest. Being an actual rude asshole is rude.

Not really. But I usally say it anyway.

I do it out of habit. I don't think that it is rude not to say it, but I do anyway.

No, it's not rude.
I reply with 'No problem' all the time, unless it's a more formal situation, or they are thanking me for something serious.
I got a drink for you? No problem.
I saved my college roommate from swallowing his tongue and throwing himself into furniture during a freak seizure and made sure he was in the ambulance before rushing his then-fiance to the hospital to make sure he's OK? You're welcome.

to behonest i dont really say it i do from time to time but it just never seemed to bother me if they didnt say your welcome to me if i said thank you for somthing lol

I hear "You're welcome" used more sarcastically when someone else doesn't say "Thank you".
So in my experience its usually the rude one saying "You're welcome". :P

i always kind of thought the californian habit of saying "yeah" instead of you're welcome was rude. but then i got used to it.

If you want a reaction, respond "yes" =P.

I vary between "You're welcome" and "no problem" (when amidst my friends who speak game language, I often just say the initials "NP").

I used to say "no problem" all the time, but I switched it up and say "my pleasure." or "anytime" more often.

No problem is better. You're welcome is used sarcastically these days, and language evolves.

I usually say "no problem" because I feel that "you're welcome" does not address whether or not the favor or deed performed cost the deed doer something and it sounds friendlier.

I say "no problem" or "s'alright". I only say "you're welcome" when I do something for someone and I'm not thanked. It sounds so much better when said sarcastically than the others do.

I do it out of habit, although sometimes I say "sure" or something.

I use both "you're welcome" and "no problem", though I also tend to say "think nothing of it" or a variation when I get somebody a gift and they thank me for it.

Well you're welcome might add up to the "vampires per day" amount( ba-dum-tich)
On topic i usually say don't mention it but thats only because in my language it sounds better.

You're welcome is the proper thing to say, but if you think about what it really means: 'you are welcome to that sort of aid from me' it starts to get a little wierd. I mean, what if the person is only welcome to that sort of aid in certain cituations, or only that one?

At work, I say 'you're welcome' to customers and co-workers, because as long as I'm on the clock, they are welcome.

If I say, 'yeah' or 'sure' or 'no problem', it's because I mean those words more than I would have meant 'you're welcome'.

I only do nice stuff for my step-mother if my little sister is involved somehow, and I never say 'you're welcome' to her, because she's not. So sister says, 'thank you' and I say 'you're welcome', and my step mom says, 'oh,yeah, thanks," and I say, 'sure'.

I usually just nod in acknowledgement or say the German equivalent of "sure".
I don't know if it's rude, but so far nobody has tried to correct me or anything.

I had "You're Welcome" engrained into me by parents still living in the 50's.

i think both are interchangeable, however i don't think it's rude not to say "your welcome" i think it's more rude not to say "thank you"

please, it's best to find ways to break the monotony of pre-programmed response conversation. I like to say whatever feels best depending on the situation.

theklng:
i always kind of thought the californian habit of saying "yeah" instead of you're welcome was rude. but then i got used to it.

This. so very much this. I have a friend who lives in Los Angeles, CA, and he has a habit of saying "yeah" instead of thank you. Now we only talk over AIM, so I have no idea what his voice inflection is when he says this, and I thought for the longest time that he was being dismissive. Took me FOREVER to figure out that was just his way of saying "you're welcome". >.<

Honestly, in speech, I'll usually say "Not a problem", "No problem", or "no prob". In text, I might say "You're quite welcome! ^_^", but that's usually the only time I'll use that phrase. I actually kind of like "no problem" better, as it's more informal and makes the person who thanked you in the first place not think it was such a horrible hassle for you to do whatever it is they thanked you for, like you did it gladly.

it isnt, but i say it anyway

I've never felt slighted when someone didn't say it. Typically I'll use something less formal myself, like "any time" or "no problem."

It's still polite to say something like "No Problem" or words to that effect.
Personally, I always say "You're Welcome". It's almost like a reflex.

Depends on the situation, if it is formal or serious, I'll say "you're welcome". If I am around friends and it is informal and light, it is "no problem"

No problem, no worries, you're welcome, that's fine/OK
all these are good in my book

I think it just depends on what's been said or done. As long as it's a nice acknowledgement of the thanks then it has the same effect

Acknowledging thanks. Hmm..Well. You did the person a favour, so you should be calling the shots >,>

samaritan.squirrel:
Acknowledging thanks. Hmm..Well. You did the person a favour, so you should be calling the shots >,>

Exactly. I usually say "My pleasure."

Punching them in the scrotum is more frowned upon, I'd say.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked