The "Report" Button and You (UPDATED 8/6/09)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

A Guide To The Report Button

Hello and welcome! I'm megapenguinx and today I'll be writing (or rather typing) about the times when it's best to use the "Report" button. Now you may be wondering, "What does the 'Report' button do"? Well my friends the "Report" button does exactly what is says it does, it reports a post or user and adds it to the moderators' queue for review. The Forum Guidelines state quite clearly what constitutes a bad post, but some people still have trouble knowing when to report something. So I thought I'd show you some examples of when to use the "Report" button.

Trolls

Meet the troll:

Nasty little thing isn't he? A troll is someone who posts questionable content in order to get a response out of people. It could be it disgust, anger, or just plain frustration. There is no point in attempting to argue with a troll, in fact that's what they want you to do. Instead of posting and calling him a troll (among other things), just hit your friend the "Report" button and let your friendly neighborhood mods sort it out. Be warned fellow Escapians, posts like "Report and move on" are subject to being reported as well since they continue a thread that breaks the rules.

Grammar

Now us here at the Escapist like to think of ourselves as a "better web community". One of the things that sets us apart from other forums is our abilities to debate formally and our use of spell check. However, every so often we'll get a post that looks like this:

Although these types of posters have no common title I like to think of them as "txt speak posters". "Txt speak posters" use little to no punctuation and rarely ever spell out words, instead relying on numbers or symbols to communicate.

Example:

Instead of telling them off for it, hit that nice little red button under their name and they'll get a nice little reminder of proper word functions and to keep the "txt" speak in cellphone texts where they belong.

One Word Posts

Being the better forum that we are, we do like to promote discussion and such around these parts. Sometimes we find that someone has already said what was basically on your mind for the topic at hand. That is when sheer laziness hits and we get these:

The one word poster is a person who quotes you and leaves a one word response (usually consisting of "this" or "QFT"). Don't be one of those people, if you don't have much to say then don't post. Or wait until later and post when you have a more fleshed out idea. Just because you started writing a post doesn't mean you have to submit it immediately, wait a while and see if you want to add something. Remember posting is a privilege, not a right. Take note also that users who only post "Use the Search Bar" are subject to moderation as well for failing to contribute.

Spambots/Advertising

Every once in a while a spambot sneaks past our magical barrier of protection and we get these:

Spambots are pesky little things that will keep posting about their wares until they get banned. Alternatively, sometimes users will want to share their blog or youtube videos with others. Unfortunately the forums are not the place to do this. You have a space in your profile to link your blog url and to show your latest youtube videos. You can even PM a few of your friends on the Escapist and ask them to take a look. Note that asking for criticisms on your videos or blogs falls under a grey area in the rules so it's best to PM a mod to check if it's ok.

List Threads

While I lack a picture example for this I'm sure we've all seen threads with titles such as "Top 5 games", "What's your favorite Soda?", or "How old are you?". While these threads are popular subjects and gain easy responses, they promote zero discussion and are against the rules. Same thing with the troll threads, do not post since the thread is fed by replies. Instead, just hit report and someone will be deployed to lock the thread and leave a little note of warning. We like thought provoking topics, not places to simply raise your post count.

VS Threads

People love competition and being nerds (or for those who don't like the term, the "socially awkward"), we like to pit our favorite consoles and characters against each other to vote on the winner.

The main problem with VS threads is that they inevitably turn into flamewars. VS threads bring out the inner fanboy in all of us and create a sense of hostility in the community. Again like the list thread, VS threads gain easy responses and are usually employed by trolls to start turmoil and by badge farmers looking for a shiny new badge to add to their collection. Best to not participate and give them any satisfaction. VS threads become quickly locked by mods at the first sign of trouble so it's best to not get yourself wrapped up in something that could end with you suspended.

Thread Necro

You come on the Escapist forums and look at the first page. Seeing nothing of interest you keep going back pages and pages until you finally find something you like. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, if the post hadn't been from last year.
The act of bringing back old threads is known as necro-ing, it's also regarded as thread spamming. Rule of thumb: if a thread hasn't been posted in in the last 30 days (one month), then don't post in it. It just puts unnecessary stress on the servers by keeping another thread alive beyond it's point of usefulness. Bumping your own thread is also an offense punishable by ban. So remember to always check the date before posting!

Repeat Threads

When a huge news story breaks, we all want a bit of the glory that comes with being the first to bring major news to the Escapist. That being said, you should always check to see if someone else beat you to it. Another thing that happens is sometimes we want to post a thread, but can't really think of anything to post about. That's when we end up with repeats:
Before making new thread you should always search for a little bit to make sure it hasn't been done in the past month. Now I know that the search bar on this site is terrible, and the tech team is always working on improving it. For now here's a trick you can use: Go to google, type in the keywords of your thread followed by the word "escapist". If your thread doesn't pop up in the first 3 pages, consider yourself in the clear. I mean talking about the same thing over and over isn't the most exciting thing in the world right? Take note: If you repost a thread you made earlier because it didn't get replies you will be moderated. If someone thinks your topic is interesting, they will contribute. No need to make a new one to add to the clutter.

Religion

I could almost post this under repeat threads, but I felt it needed a section on it's own. Religion threads are not against any of the rules, but they have been done to death on all internet forums and breed the same general uneasiness as VS. threads.

It's best to not to get involved too much as the mods tend to locks these down pretty quickly. Participate if you must, but keep things civil. Again, at the first sign of trouble the thread will be locked down so tread lightly. As a side note, if the first post is hostile the thread should be reported immediately for being flamebait. There is a new section in the forums where we can discuss religion and politics in an adult and thoughtful manner. Please try to keep your posts civil at all times and learn to agree to disagree.

Polls

I love being a statistic as much as the next guy, but most of the time polls aren't implemented correctly. Polls should be unbiased and should not include pointless options. Also if you use a poll, there is no need to include "Poll" in your title as it's added immediately. If you see a thread with a biased poll, you can bet that the thread itself will be biased and it's best to report the thread starter for abusing the poll option.

Misleading Titles

Often threads with a simple and common premise use misleading titles to gain views and posts.

Titles should be relevant to your post, without explaining everything you have to say on the matter. Should you see a thread with a misleading title, just report it and the topic starter will get a warning from a friendly mod to change it. Remember, curse words in a title are generally frowned upon and will get you in trouble should a staff member see it.

Reporting Users

So you've logged onto the Escapist and found a thread with an interesting title. You go in and see a highly disturbing picture repeated over and over again. You quickly leave the thread and decide to go into another to hopefully get the image out of your head. Alas, you are beguiled by the same image posted by the exact same user. You report both posts then go to the user's profile and see they've been doing this in every single post. It's time to pull out the big guns of the "Report" button, the user "Report" button found on their profile.

This will allow you to put a user and all his/her's posts into the moderation queue for review. It's best to include a brief description as to what the user has been doing that violates the rules and maybe a link to one of his posts (with a NSFW tag added for good measure). These types of reporting are a last resort against more persistent trolls and ban hoppers. Do not wield them lightly.

Conclusion

Reporting is anonymous, quick, and free. If you see a post like any of the above examples or just feel like there is something wrong off about a post, report it. The more you report things the better the Escapist can become for all of us and our net community will continue to flourish.
image Don't be afraid of the big red button.

Please take note that these are just general report button guidelines and each forum has it's own set of guidelines to follow. It's best to consult each forum's rules before posting anything.

And knowing is half the battle.
Thanks for the heads up.

Report button seemed kind of obvious in its use to me...

Perhaps it's the depression bringing out the cynic in me, but how far gone is this community if we need to point out what I define as common sense?

Edit: Look, I'm not dismissing this thread, I just think it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.

The moderators say that not enough posts are being reported, so this guide might actually be useful.

I want to thank you for your post for the simple fact that I just went to candy.com.

5lbs. of malt balls?!

Glefistus:

3.141592654:
Perhaps it's the depression bringing out the cynic in me, but how far gone is this community if we need to point out what I define as common sense?

It's more the fact that several people keep complaining as to the lower quality of posts as of late and that people seem to be under using it. Just trying to show visual examples of some of the things that should be reported instantly, since the forum guidelines lack any.

Glerken:
I want to thank you for your post for the simple fact that I just went to candy.com.

5lbs. of malt balls?!

OMG he was advertising.

Are list threads really against the rules? Last time a looked it didn't say anything about them. There was some bits and pieces explaining one word posts and things that don't lead to much discussion but not specifically 'list threads'.

They should throw that in if they don't want them! NO BLOODY LIST THREADS! And thats it.

Thanks for this. I never really know when to report, even though I read the guidelines - maybe I'm a bit too nice...

I see this post as entertainment rather than information and for that it's great. But I'd like to add one thing: Do not overly abuse the report button for every shitty thing that might annoy somebody. Also, reporting for txtspaek (even if it is annoying) seems somewhat drastic to me.

PS: Thanks for introducing me to candy.com!

Edit: Now I see it. It was advertisement. Reported. >:(

Are you supposed to report repost-threads? Because I do that all the time...

I just wish that people knew how to search.

Edit: This is also kind of a repost-thread. Although none of the other threads on this subject were quite this good.

This is my new Escapist guideline. None shall get away.

I think one important thing that needs to go here is that when someone makes a stupid thread there are usually about 10 replies of people saying reported. You dont need to tell them they are reported if its a stupid thread your just feeding them, if you really feel the need to post then whoever gets to post 'Report and move on' is the only person who should get to post in the thread.

Xvito:
Are you supposed to report repost-threads? Because I do that all the time...

I just wish that people knew how to search.

Edit: This is also kind of a repost-thread. Although none of the other threads on this subject were quite this good.

If the thread has been done a lot recently then it should be reported yes. However I could find nothing of this sort when I searched besides the guidelines and those were not too in depth on the subject (in my opinion).

savandicus:
I think one important thing that needs to go here is that when someone makes a stupid thread there are usually about 10 replies of people saying reported. You dont need to tell them they are reported if its a stupid thread your just feeding them, if you really feel the need to post then whoever gets to post 'Report and move on' is the only person who should get to post in the thread.

Actually nothing at all should be posted because that pushes the thread up on the list. It's just a simple following of that "Report and move on" mentality, minus the posting of the phrase.
I did say to not post anything to feed the trolls and such. Hmm maybe I'll add that in.

I'm so tempted to quote the OP and say "this" right now.

Anyway, great job, megapenguinx. These examples were both hilarious and useful. Even though I knew you could report a user, I always figured it was the same thing as reporting a single post. So it's good to know what it actually does, in case some more overflow from... A bad place... Start showing up and posting unspeakable atrocities again.

I dont think he should be flamed - never underestimate how useful this me be to someone - and using the report button against him when he has clearly put a lot of work into this thread is wrong.

Good work!

Oh man, I almost reported you, Penguin! I saw pictures of all those naughty things you said, and I knew instantly that you were up to no good, despite your photographed confessions. :D I kiiid, I kid.

I occationally wonder if I get reported. I like topics of REAL discussion, and I unfortunately find that this is big topics of big things. Most notably, my recent discussion about tongue mods. It was a shocker to the community at a level I didn't expect. But I pepper these conversations with disclaimers, warnings, spoiler tags, "NSFW" tags, etc etc. :) So I figure I have my based covered.

3.141592654:

Edit: Look, I'm not dismissing this thread, I just think it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place.

The moderators say that not enough posts are being reported, so this guide might actually be useful.

It might actually be an OVER-use that does it. Not so much that it's not being used, but that it's being abused.

In general, a good guide to what should be common sense to most people.

And I just have to add my thanks for your introducing me to Candy.com. Boxes of 100 Grand bars? Man, I wish I had that kind of money to spend on gluttony...

Firia:

3.141592654:

It might actually be an OVER-use that does it. Not so much that it's not being used, but that it's being abused.

I've been told that not enough people use it and that is takes more than one or two button presses to get something into the queue (So I'm assuming about 3-5). Hopefully this will balance it out and people who over use it will get some guidance, and those who never use it will finally get some courage to report a bad post.

I have never used report button anywhere and I never will use report button anywhere, because trolls are awesome.

PS. I'm a troll too, it's really hard to notice though.

You might want to point out that saying you reported somebody ("Reported!", ect) is starting to get punishment these days.

Overall this is a very well made thread, but I can't help but feel it should be part of "The Banhammer and You", but it's so well made that I'm not sure.

Firia:

3.141592654:

The mods have said that they don't mind replys in excess because at this point they don't get enough. It's not a automated system so hiting report is eather harmless or helpful, unless you know that the person didn't breach the rules, then it's a little stupid.

megapenguinx:

Firia:

3.141592654:

I've been told that not enough people use it and that is takes more than one or two button presses to get something into the queue (So I'm assuming about 3-5). Hopefully this will balance it out and people who over use it will get some guidance, and those who never use it will finally get some courage to report a bad post.

Well in THAT case, when I next see me a lol-troll, I'mma button crush me some troll paste! :D Mmmm, paste.

Oh, I didn't know there was a report button in someone's profile. Good to know, thanks.

Aww, and here I thought that the report button was supposed to be used every time someone disagreed with something I said. hehe.

Both funny and functional. I like it. The only thing I noticed that you could do is to seperate the pictures and text with an extra line: otherwise they all blur together which takes down your presentation a notch.

If I may ask a question: how did you get the pictures?

So what your saying is that we should always report megapenguinX ahh it all makes so much sense now, :)

But seriously people report anything that offends you even if it doesn't strictly break the rules, then the mods can decide if its right or wrong.

Glerken:

5lbs. of malt balls?!

Yes! I'm not the only one :D

This thread was useful, because I actually didn't know (and have now got actually quite happy about this fact..) that you could report someone for using text speak.

I really do love the escapist :D

Don't forget to use it. Even if you think "someone else will get it". Use it.

Thanks for the tips, I already knew most of what I need to know, but it's nice with a reminder in case you forget something.

megapenguinx:

Glefistus:

3.141592654:

It's more the fact that several people keep complaining as to the lower quality of posts as of late and that people seem to be under using it. Just trying to show visual examples of some of the things that should be reported instantly, since the forum guidelines lack any.

You should probably add the fact it takes three reports for the mods to see it (or so I belive) and so reporting is important.

Thanks for the tip about the report button, this thread should have been put in the posting guidelines. :)

Knight Templar:

The mods have said that they don't mind replys in excess because at this point they don't get enough. It's not a automated system so hiting report is eather harmless or helpful, unless you know that the person didn't breach the rules, then it's a little stupid.

Yeah, if anyone remembers that something-necromancer guy with the turtle hitler avatar from last week.....

Good examples,good writing,will be helpful to many.

asinann:
Aww, and here I thought that the report button was supposed to be used every time someone disagreed with something I said. hehe.

No,it is supposed to be used every time someone exhibits unpopular opinion. If someone likes USA,for example.
/deadpan sarcasm

KaiRai:

Knight Templar:

Yeah, if anyone remembers that something-necromancer guy with the turtle hitler avatar from last week.....

I went offline for an hour and missed it all, guess he wasn't that much of a troll.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked