Most badass soldiers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

When it comes to having a set of titanium orbs instead of mere brass...

Sure, I agree with many people here. Go Finland (we rock).

But let's not forget the Charge Of the Light Brigade, eh?

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldiers knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

Stupid order as hell, but they actually tried to fulfill it.

In Warhammer 40k I believe the Soritas and Imperial Guard are both overall far more powerful than the Space Marines. The reason for this is simply put support and numbers. Individually there is little contest (except for a few of the heroes and such from the respective units) but considering the relatively limited numbers of space marines and the fact that they basically provide their own logistics (coming from a single planet from which they draw chapter members in most cases), if say someone who managed to send out a communication on that level and ordered either group to basically kill all the Space Marines I'm pretty such they would (eventually) succeed. The Imperial Guard probably having 4-5 decent tanks for each Space Marine, and the "Sisters Of Battle" having the entire uber religious network behind them. Even if the Space Marines were to wipe out entire planets full of these guys they simply couldn't manufacture bullets fast enough to kill them all... :P

As far as IRL military forces go...

I'd say probably the US Navy SEALS or US Army's Delta Force. In general it's our morality that holds our guys back, not lack of capabilities or anything else. A lot of the military forces that outperform them in a lot of the training (like British Royal Marine Commandos) are simply weighed down by less BS because their goverment isn't *quite* as messed up as ours.

I consider Spetznatz to be pretty tough overall, but in the end I think they are inferior to our special forces except for the simple fact that they work for a nation that has little in the way of combat morality and tends to be famed for it's "Git 'ir done" mentality which the US has been increasingly lacking.

-

Historically, I'd probably say the most BA groups would have to be found among Christian knights, probabl an order like The Templar or something similar. I say this because all politics aside, they pretty much managed to enter The Middle East, whoop up on everyone, conquer the Holy Land, and gain vengeance for slaughtered pilgrims, with no real support or logistics from anyone. They also held out for a very long time comparitively speaking.

The Crusades having been fought accross a tremendous distance for the time period, where supplies and men weren't even guaranteed to make it accross the ocean (either on the way there, or back). They were literally outnumbered hundreds or thousands to one by other religious fanatics, and they still tended to win. Ultimatly being forced back because they were in the middle of enemy territory, and every knight that fell was more or less irreplacable where there were always more screaming Muslims to replace them.

History doesn't like to present it that way (reinventionism, political correctness, etc...) but there are reasons why the alleged "winners" still have a bug up their collective butts about it today.

Many comparitive forces like The Spartans and such performed well in some nasty battles, but generally didn't have the same logistics problems (the 300 was a suicide action when you get down to it, so logistics weren't a factor for that reason).

When I say "Crusaders" keep in mind I am talking about a combined European force here though (held together largely through religion) not the force of one paticular nation. The Crusades being one of the few things that has gotten all of Europe working together, and the results were absolutly terrifying when you get down to it. One of the more interesting things about the more successful crusades (there was more than one, and several were less than resounding successes) is that nobody should have ever been able to achieve that under any circumstances given the tech level.

This is incidently why when people compare say a European Knight to a Samurai or whatever I tend to think it's a bad joke when the conclusion comes out in favor of the Samurai or whatever.

Christemo:

Vatican Swiss Guard.

Seconded, seriously, they're still armed with halberds... in the 21st century... fucking hell, we have nuclear weapons now, and they defend an entire city with only 100 men holding sharp sticks!!! They truly have the largest balls...

THe irish army rangers and you know it :P

Historically, I'd probably say the most BA groups would have to be found among Christian knights, probabl an order like The Templar or something similar. I say this because all politics aside, they pretty much managed to enter The Middle East, whoop up on everyone, conquer the Holy Land, and gain vengeance for slaughtered pilgrims, with no real support or logistics from anyone. They also held out for a very long time comparitively speaking.

The Crusades having been fought accross a tremendous distance for the time period, where supplies and men weren't even guaranteed to make it accross the ocean (either on the way there, or back). They were literally outnumbered hundreds or thousands to one by other religious fanatics, and they still tended to win. Ultimatly being forced back because they were in the middle of enemy territory, and every knight that fell was more or less irreplacable where there were always more screaming Muslims to replace them.

History doesn't like to present it that way (reinventionism, political correctness, etc...) but there are reasons why the alleged "winners" still have a bug up their collective butts about it today.

Many comparitive forces like The Spartans and such performed well in some nasty battles, but generally didn't have the same logistics problems (the 300 was a suicide action when you get down to it, so logistics weren't a factor for that reason).

When I say "Crusaders" keep in mind I am talking about a combined European force here though (held together largely through religion) not the force of one paticular nation. The Crusades being one of the few things that has gotten all of Europe working together, and the results were absolutly terrifying when you get down to it. One of the more interesting things about the more successful crusades (there was more than one, and several were less than resounding successes) is that nobody should have ever been able to achieve that under any circumstances given the tech level.

This is incidently why when people compare say a European Knight to a Samurai or whatever I tend to think it's a bad joke when the conclusion comes out in favor of the Samurai or whatever.[/quote]

I believe you are forgetting the badass armour of the christian knights good sir.

3rd)Thebans, 'cos they beat the shit out of a number of spartans equal to their own numbers at the battle of... i forget.

2nd) Spartans, 'cos 300 of them whent to battle 10s of thousands of persians, at the battle of thermopilie.

1st)The SAS, because they're the most elite fighting force EVER assembled in human history. AND unlike the other 2 groups i listed, the SAS have female soldiers, modern warfare; totaly P.C. =D

The Zulu- Run 50 miles and fight a battle at the end of it.

Romans- Fought on every terrain, from Britain to Iran.

Vikings- The Church actually added a prayer into their services against them (Oh Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Northmen).

Spartans- Must I explain?

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

(the numbers presented by headshotcatcher are made up)

Why are you so sure?

Multiple sources say so. Many encyclopedias, wikipedia, quite a few documentaries and a large number of books.

Spitfire175:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

Why are you so sure?

Multiple sources say so. Many encyclopedias, wikipedia, quite a few documentaries and a large number of books.

Have any sources? (genuinely curious)

Vrex360:
The Mongolian Horde lead by Genghis Khan.

this

In the modern world, i would say the SAS- If you read about their history is quite astonshing what they have done. Some of you remember a mission from Call of Duty 4 where you had to hold out against a huge attack by the ultranationlists and fall back to the farm? That to me is very similar to something that happend to the SAS in Oman a couple of decades ago where four SAS men held back a force of insurgants numbering in their hunderds. They have also had many sucesses against insurgants in Oman and Malaysia- i'm guessing there playing a key role in the current Afganistan war today.

Historically, the Romans where pretty bad-ass, they conqured and held for around 300 years most of Europe- no one else has been able to match their sucesses, the Romans where tactical genius's, and brutally disiplined.

Therumancer:

*snip*

This is incidently why when people compare say a European Knight to a Samurai or whatever I tend to think it's a bad joke when the conclusion comes out in favor of the Samurai or whatever.

I would also consider the Crusader knights to be comparable to the Roman Legions. Considering their situation, they did very well indeed. Can anyone name any historically notable military sucesses of the samaurai?

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

Why are you so sure?

That Mikhail Surkov is probably just a result of Soviet propaganda. At least that's what the guys at Wikipedia think.

Master Chief.

Pillypill:

2nd) Spartans, 'cos 300 of them whent to battle 10s of thousands of persians, at the battle of thermopilie.

Well, 300 Spartans, about 700 of their slaves and 10,000 Athenians. Interesting to note that, I believe it was the Athenians, had a batallion made up of many, many pairs of gay lovers. This batallion was once outnumbered by spartans and still kicked their asses.

Spetsnaz. Jokingly and seriously.

Unknower:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

Why are you so sure?

That Mikhail Surkov is probably just a result of Soviet propaganda. At least that's what the guys at Wikipedia think.

Ah so thats why I couldn't find the Wiki article on Mikhail Surkov but that doesn't negate the other 6 or so that I posted + the snipers on your link

GruntOwner:

On topic, The Royal Marine Commandos go through the standard SAS training, and THENSOME, so that's probably gonna help.

They don't. Simple as.

On topic, to be a little different I'll say the Gurkha Regiments of the British Army. Born in Nepal, trained in the UK, and kicking ass all over the world! They have to be some of the best modern warriors around for commitment, natural courage and pure awesomeness.

This series can explain better than I can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZMHwKWNRQY&feature=related

EDIT: that series focuses more on the current controversy in the UK over Ghurkas rights. the video i was going to link was about their selection, training, history and combat, but due to the ever increasing Fascism Youtube is showing, the account of the guy who posted it has been suspended ¬_¬ Fuckers.

Ninjas! Black, stealthy and they had GIRLS!

Unknower:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

Why are you so sure?

Damn, you were faster than me writing this here.

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

headshotcatcher:

Spitfire175:

Why are you so sure?

Here are just a few:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper (notable individuals)
http://www.snipercountry.com/SnipHistory.asp#SimoHayha this would state Häyhä as the most succesful

Go to your local library and seek tomes about warfare, I can't really name any particualr ones without digging back to my bookshelves myself.

Also, take note of the soviet propaganda on the matter: they created some nonexistant supersnipers to boost morale and exaggerated numbers in reports. No doubt some of them got close to ~500 kills, they were incredibly talented. But at the moment the info available says Häyhä scores the highest with 505 confirmed.

Ceasars gaul veterans where probably very badass

rs2000:
-snip-

I think that the rest of the world had a hand in defeating them to, not just soviet russia!

But in Soviet Russia, the war wins you!

The SAS and SBS!

Nuff said!

GruntOwner:

Pillypill:

Interesting to note that, I believe it was the Athenians, had a batallion made up of many, many pairs of gay lovers. This batallion was once outnumbered by spartans and still kicked their asses.

The battalion of lovers was the Sacred Band of Thebes, not Athens. Alexander the Great held them in high regard, saying that they were one of the toughest foes he ever fought.

Let's see...sniper with a total of 505 confirmed kills with his sniper rifle, and another 200 with an SMG within 100 days? Was so feared by the Soviets that they sent in artillery strikes and counter-snipers with the sole purpose of eliminating him? Surviving a hit from a bullet that wrecked his jaw and blew up his left cheek, after only a week of unconsciousness? A man who said, when asked if he had any regrets about killing people, "I did what I was told to as well as I could."? I believe Simo Hayha (can't do umlauts) belongs on the list.

CloudKiller:
How about the Spartans, we all know why.

I say Romans, because they beat the spartans.

I would say Vietnam soldiers, who were able to fight American forces which had artillery support, ariel support, and possibly better weapons until the Americans were forced to pull out in defeat. That's how you frikken do it. Most of the awesomeness was the man leading them though (I forget his name) who was an absolute genius, and sent the yankees packing. I don't know if the Vietnamese were outnumbered, but I wouldn't be surprised. They were just incredible.

EDIT: Nah, changed my mind.
The Romans were cooler. Very well organized and ahead of their time.

The guy that flies the UAV's from thousands of miles away of course.

The soldiers in Black Hawk Down.

The Spartans?

Or US Marines, but only when they're drunk.

Oh, let's not forget every single surviving Vietnam veteran.

deadman91:

Motti:

The following groups of australian soldiers:
35th Batallion AIF (Villers-Bretonneux, WW1)
39th Batallion AMF (Kakoda, WW2)
D company of 6RAR (Long Tan, Vietnam)
The SASR (for obvious reasons)

Those guys love impossible odds.

Let's not forget the 9th Division at Tobruk who repeatedly kicked Rommel's arse.

I'm suprised I forgot about that, considering my great-granddad fought there.
Bad motti.

The Russian elite guard, also known as the Королевский предохранитель.

"Armed with Halberds and heavy plate armor, the REG were feared as one of the deadliest fighting forces in the world in the early 12th century.

ANCIENT

1. the Hashashin
2. the Samurai

MODERN

1. SAS
2. Delta force

Spitfire175:

Let's have ot your way: Let's drop a Gurhka on the karelian isthmus in January 1940. It's -30c, snowing heavily and it's getting dark at 15:00. Artillery is going hot on both sides, the air is full of lead. I bet your Gurhka wouldn't make it. And that really is the point: you can only evaluate soldiers' achievements in their original context. Gurhkas are badass indeed but they don't make anyone else less badass.

Finally on topic: Of all time, the most notable warriors would include Spartan (greek) hoplites, Macedonian pikemen, Armenian kataphracts, Roman petorians, Mongolian horsemen, the medieval kinights as a whole, British Highlander redcoats, the german stormtroopers and any fighter pilot of WW1.

Then in WW2: US paratroopers, the RA(A)F, the SS (you can't admire them, but neither can you say they were bad soldiers), The SAS(still today), the FAF, Soviets who endured Stalingrad and the US marines and the UK royal marines(still today).

Quite a long list, and probably the most notable are the SAS and all fighter pilots, ever.

The Ghurka would proceed to make a snowman & them kill the enemy with it. I have no doubt, Frosty would be a icon of terror in East if the Ghurkas ever made it that far north. Wow artillery no shit thats terrifying ( http://www.mail-archive.com/cybershooters@mail-it.com/msg00640.html ). Surely no man could brave some artillery. Oh wait just the Nepalese in the house raise your hands ( http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com/vcs.html ).

Hmmkay Praetorian guards were wealthy Roman soldiers who didnt want to fight afield in addition to the name being synonymous with intrigue, conspiracy, disloyalty and assassination. Et tu bruti.

Mongolian horsemen, I assume you mean the Hun, as after the Hunnic period their force strength declined dramatically. Medieval was a large period of time & knight strengths varied dramatically. Hungarian knights could kick anyones ass for the longest time & the French heavy armour certainly gave them a leg up but the quality of comparative fighting strength varies. Its kinda like saying all modern armies .... some are alot more fragile than others.

British Highlander Redcoats ? What you mean the Scotsmen who betrayed their country to slaughter women & children ? Or do you mean the guys that took 30 years to figure out how to deal with untrained rabble charging down a hill at them.

Because before the farce that was Culloden & the lack of useful French input (Theres a shocker) the highlanders chopped the red coats into little tiny undignified pieces. Jesus even the few times they had the advantage they were chased off by by men in their nightshirts.

As to the bravery of the Redcoats

I ask only "Hey, Johnnie Cope, Are Ye Waking Yet?"? LOL

As to the bravery of pilots. Yesssssssssss It takes a brave man to get into a plane, fly 400 knots & 4000 feet across a battlefield in total safety & your only threat being flying low & slow & other planes must be terrifying for the poor men of the air corp. They must be so releived when they get home in time for tea & biscuits. /sarcsm.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here