Are smart people attractive?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

So guys (and girls). Are smart people attractive to you or do you not like it that way? (too "geeky" or something?) Would you rather go out with someone who looks really good instead but may not be all that bright? (can't we just have both?) Does it depend on if you're talking with some stranger or an old friend that you like? Which would you fall for?
Note: This is pertaining to someone that you'd actually want to go out with, not a one-night-stand or anything like that.

Edit: Another little note. Probably think about this in the sense that they are notably smart or good looking as your first and/or lasting impression of them. Not really in the sense that it slowly dawns on you if they're one or the other. If you gradually start to think your friend looks good, you're probably falling for them anyway.

Attractive smart people are attractive.

Attractive? Well...sort of?
Let me phrase my answer thusly: Stupid people are very very unattractive.

I guess that depends on what you find attractive? Ive been told im smart...i might have been told i was attractive at times too.

Well, yes. Granted, I'm also the resident smart guy in my major, and the women do not seem to be jumping my bones (although that could just be my imagination).

But yeah, smart babes are HOT.

Not if they're ugly

I'd rather have a smart ugly girl than a smoking hot dumb one. Science and surgery can make an ugly person beautiful. You can't fix stupid.

I do find brains attractive but not when that is all they have. Smartarses that correct you for everything little thing you spelt or said, such as saying things like "Thats not blue, thats teal", is very very unattractive.

I would never date an airhead. I want a girl at about my level of intelligence.

Evilbunny:
You can't fix stupid.

I'm sticking with this as my key phrase for this topic.

Well played Sir.

Depends what kind of smart (Multiple intelligences is real!). Sheer brainpower is very attractive because bright people tend to be wittier and able to react quickly. People who are good at talking but don't actually know anything are annoying; people who are good with logic but not with people are also annoying.

Edit: Actually, have you noticed that intelligent people are more sensitive too? People who aren't smart enough to understand you have a hard time consoling you when you're down.

Major_Sam:
I do find brains attractive but not when that is all they have. Smartarses that correct you for everything little thing you spelt or said, such as saying things like "Thats not blue, thats teal", is very very unattractive.

I don't really mean a know-it-all, just a reasonably above normal intelligent person. I should probably clarify a few things, shouldn't I?

fluffybacon:

Yes, that would make sense... but i do agree.

I like smarts, but then again, its what takes my fancy, I like someone because I like 'em, can really control it. sometimes some wonder why they like that person.

I would prefer a smart person, even if they are not the best looking. I don't like stupidity, I find that very unatractive.

I once read that women who go to college or university are more likely to have orgasms.

And I honestly didn't see any alternative to 'smart = better sex' until a month ago.

Y'know this is funny because in high school I couldn't get laid to save my life but once I got to junior college I started getting buckets of poon! I think maybe smart girls are attracted to smart men once they get tired of humping morons in high school.

Go SRJC!

fluffybacon:

Well phrased. However, I'd like to add a bit. Intelligence can make up for a persons physical short comings, but only by a bit. Contrary though, stupid people ruin good looks every time.

As shallow is it might sound, I put these two into separate but equal categories. Attractive people are attractive, and smart people are smart. I have quite a few attractive friends who I would never date because they aren't very intelligent (fun to hang out with, but sometimes the light is on with no one home), and other friends of mine are smart as hell, but just not attractive to me.

That being said, I don't have some supermodel requirement list for what I consider attractive.

An old friend told me a saying about this. Most prefer to be beautiful than smart. Because there's more idiots than blinds.

I find girls more attractive if they show intelligence, yes. Shallowness and stupidity beyond typical human limits/blunders will only get her on the receiving end of my snark, as exhibited with several girls at my school.

Well, personality is the most important factor. I do, however, need a mate who has a certain degree of intelligence in at least a few areas, because I'm very eloquent and need someone who understands my words...sometimes I talk like some scholar out of the 19th century or something weird like that.

Intelligence can make a girl extremely attractive, but there are some girls who, though they have hearts of gold, I would not date...physical attractiveness is, however ashamed I am to admit it, a big factor with me.

Intelligence can be a positive modifier to a girl with what would widely be considered mid-level looks, making them hugely more attractive to me. Did I mention I have a huge glasses fetish? xD

I do prefer intelligence over physical appearance

Et3rnalLegend64:

Major_Sam:

I don't really mean a know-it-all, just a reasonably above normal intelligent person. I should probably clarify a few things, shouldn't I?

No no you're fine. The person that I have had the above experience with was actually a very smart person. He just didn't know how to use it. But yes, I find people that can talk nerdy attractive.

I can find someone physically attractive, but if they turn out to be a moron then it turns me right off them. I think the thing is that I find intelligent girls who I can have a good conversation with even more attractive than I would a person who is far more physically attractive, but rests solely on their looks. If that makes any sense.

At all.

I think most smart people don't really care too much about appearance.

Akai Shizuku:
I think most smart people don't really care too much about appearance.

If that's what you think, then you'd be surprised. A few of my friends are quite gifted, and most of them are kinda self conscious. I don't really understand it though. They're all reasonably good looking in my opinion. I blame society.

If they have an attractive body/personality/whatever-floats-yer-boat. Yes.

I mean, I don't find intelligence per se attractive, which is why I don't *yaknow* to pictures of Einstein.

Et3rnalLegend64:
They're all reasonably good looking in my opinion. I blame society.

I agree with you one-hundred percent here. Society is often made a scapegoat for one's personal problems, but in this case society really does play a huge role in people's self-consciousness.

When I look for a woman, they must either know what a +7 Vorpal Longsword does, or at least be a gamer of the tabletop and video kind. My last girlfriend played both World of Darkness and Left 4 Dead.

She was awesome.

I look for smarts when it comes to women. I'm more attracted to people that can actually speak in an intelligent way instead of the damn "Sup boy? You lookin fo' a dime?" shit I got at public school.

Oh, and just to give my own opinion on this matter as well (I guess I should):

I'm actually not the type of person looking for a date. A friend usually grows on me after I hang out with her a lot, and it's nice if they're intelligent. As long as they don't look bad and are reasonably kind (more is better), then looks are fairly low on my priority list. For people I don't know, I actually don't notice looks much at all (my friends think I'm strange for that) but it's nice to see someone smart even if I don't intend to date her.

I don't know if its the same for everyone, but I actually see people differently after I get to know them, and yes, they actually look less attractive to me if they're fuckwits.

There again, maybe I'm not against a lack of intelligence, but the pride in being an idiot that seems so popular nowadays.

OF course there always has to be a base level attractiveness physically, but past that, I have to be able to talk to people on a similar level.

Baby Tea:
Attractive? Well...sort of?
Let me phrase my answer thusly: Stupid people are very very unattractive.

This ^^

There is a difference though between being smart and well educated.

I've never been, told I was attractive, been told I was smart a lot never had trouble getting a girlfriend so i guess the answer is yes where i live anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked