Windows 7 with 2GB RAM

Hello guys,

I'm looking forward to try Win7 on my second machine.

It's current primary hardware is..

2 GB of RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Geforce 8800 GTX

I am not quite sure but is 2GB of RAM actually enough to run Win7 smoothly?

Sorry for that n00b question.

Soulfly

Microsoft doesn't have that kind of information on their website?

I don't actually know, but I think you should have more RAM than 2Gb for Win7. just doesn't seem fitting for the latest PC killer OS.

Edit: reading further posts, I withdraw my guess.

Soulfly94:
Hello guys,

I'm looking forward to try Win7 on my second machine.

It's current primary hardware is..

2 GB of RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Geforce 8800 GTX

Sorry for that n00b question.

Soulfly

My brother has been running windows 7 with 2 GB ram on his laptop ever since the RC came out, perfectly stable, and smooth to boot. Most games actually run better on w7 than they did when he had XP on it.

Soulfly94:

That'll be fine, as far as I've heard.
Windows 7 is actually supposed to be far less of a beached whale then vista in terms of resource usage, making it a viable option for not just new machines, but older ones as well. I'm pretty sure I saw a test somewhere with old IBM laptops running windows 7 and seeing them run very well.

In any case, you'll be fine.

Since Win7 is actually easier on RAM than Vista, yes, it's perfectly fine. I'd recommend going higher, personally, but 2 GBs is passable.

Yes its fine.

Your RAM is fine for 7. I've seen the figures for Windows 7 running along side Vista and it's far better optimised then Vista ever was or will be.

Although I'd get more anyway, especially if you're using DDR2 - RAM's dirt cheap.

EDIT: Someone's bound to say "link or it's not true" but I read it quite a while ago on one gaming site (the figures were definetely official though) and I can't remember what site, nor am I prepared to search all over just for a link. Believe me or not, but there's no point in me lying.

I'm running windows 7 RC on my netbook (Aspire one) with 1.5Gb and it is much smoother than vista or even XP for that matter.

And that's a full install with no tweaking or optimisation needed.

Windows 7 can run on 2GB, fairly nicely, I hear.

Much nicer on PC requirements than the power-hungry Vista.

Windows 7 run nearly as fast as xp on a 1.6ghz atom cpu (very slow)
with 2 gig or ram

Win 7 will run better than Vista did.

Translation: 1g is as fine for 7 as it is for XP, 2g is as fine for 7 as it is for XP...etc.

2g is great,
3g is great.

My setup was very similar to that (I've upgraded to 4GB since) and it ran the RC very well. You'll be fine.

i recall it worked on a p2 with less than 256Mb of RAM, so i think so.

what exactly is this "RC" that people keep talking about? is it some sort of demo or beta version? or was the full OS launched and I somehow didn't notice?

I have windows 7 on my 2GB computer, just make sure you install the 32-bit, NOT the 64-bit.

It's enough.

Although it does load faster with 3 or 4 GB, mind you. It's just that while you won't notice much difference between XP and 7 loading times (which is really good), it will obviously work faster if you have 2-4GB. More than that is useless for games, anyway.

Reminds me to get a 64-bit Windows 7...

bookboy:
what exactly is this "RC" that people keep talking about? is it some sort of demo or beta version? or was the full OS launched and I somehow didn't notice?

RC means Release Candidate.

And there is a upgrade advisor around from Microsoft, I'd post it, but I'm not sure of the rules of linking files.

RC is release candidate, a late Beta version of software that could potentially go to full production. Hence the name, a candidate for release.

I have W7 64 bit, and it generally idles at 700mb so it there should be no problems running the OS whatsoever. Games on the other hand I'm not entirely sure about since out of 4 gigs I'm left with 2.6 after all the basics for some odd reason. Still that's more than enough even for Gothic 3 when it tries to do a memory overflow (on XP x86 it did this at 2 gigs).

W& have just about the same requirments at XP, so it should run great with 2GB of RAM, might want to taink about getting a 64bit system and upping it to 4 or 6GB or RAM anyways soon.

Woodsey:
Your RAM is fine for 7. I've seen the figures for Windows 7 running along side Vista and it's far better optimised then Vista ever was or will be.

Although I'd get more anyway, especially if you're using DDR2 - RAM's dirt cheap.

EDIT: Someone's bound to say "link or it's not true" but I read it quite a while ago on one gaming site (the figures were definetely official though) and I can't remember what site, nor am I prepared to search all over just for a link. Believe me or not, but there's no point in me lying.

Something like this?:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

I upgraded from Vista Business to Windows 7 RC, and it's remarkably better. I'll certainly get the full version once it's released. I was learning Ubuntu just in case Windows 7 turned out to be a dud, but it performed so much better than Vista (and for the record, I never hated Vista, it was just a resource hog) that now I barely use Ubuntu.

I was using 2GB of RAM to run it and it was just fine. But I had some extra $$$ lying around so I upgraded to 4GB and got a reasonable improvement in performance. Not required, but definitely recommended.

If there are any Uni College students in the UK. Microsoft will be selling 7 for 30 to students, all you have to provide is an authentic college/university email address. Otherwise, if you are on a Computing course (like myself) Microsoft allow Students free access to just about all of their products for free. That is how I got my copy of 7.

If anyone here is annoyed with Vista or had any problems with Vista then you will love 7. After playing round with the OS for a few hours it certainly runs a lot smoother and does things a lot faster than Vista. It is not the memory hog Vista was.

The only slight inconvenience was having to install Firefox onto a USB stick on my old PC and then load it onto the laptop through the USB stick. This is because by EU law, Microsoft are no longer allowed to sell OS in the EU with Internet Explorer. So be sure to have a way to install a web browser onto windows 7.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked