American Death Note Script (This has a decent discussion)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I have just been chatting with one of my internet friends on IMDB about the very popular anime/manga series "Death Note." I trust that most people on here know what this series is and are probably fans of it.

The conversation between me and IMDB guy eventually got to the new Hollywood adaptation of Death Note. Turns out, this guy has the script for it and was kind enough to give it to me. (well, a link to it. Don't have it anymore though. Its in my computer on word processor)

He told me he was absolutely horrified (yes, horrified) by this awful script.

Naturally, I thought he was just over reacting and I read it myself.

He wasn't joking. He wasn't overreacting.

This script is terrible.

Here is a quick (sorta, compared to the actual script at least) summary of the script. I'll put it in spoilers since it's pretty long.

Well? It was bad right?

I know it sounds so bad that it just has to be fake, but I'm sorry, its not.

I think I've lost all faith in movies if this is all they can come up with. I would be perfectly happy if they just did a straight up frame by frame remake of the anime. They've almost completely changed the story!! The name's made since to the characters, why change them to genaric American names?

Why does Hollywood always have to do this? They take something great and Americanize it into total bullshit.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this script and Hollywood and the film industry in general?

If you think that is bad, wait until the second movie, I've seen it. It's terrible.

Edit: Though I do like that Near was never even mentioned. I didn't like Death Note as much after Near was introduced.

crimson5pheonix:
If you think that is bad, wait until the second movie, I've seen it. It's terrible.

Do you mean of the Japanese movies? I never saw those.

Why would they make a second one?

I dislike people with the name Murray

So I dislike this show

Excuse me, I'm going go cry.

(My crying voice from a distance) "Oh god Death Note what did they do to you?"

pimppeter2:

So I dislike this show

The main family's name in the show and Manga was Yagami. The main character was Light Yagami, his sister was Sayu Yagami, his girlfriend was named Misa Amane.

They changed the names into crap.

BOO!!! BOOOOOOO!!!!
...Yeah that's pretty bad. And i won't put it past Hollywood to make something THIS fucking bad. I will purposefully illegally download this, so i DON'T let them know i've seen it, then watch it, laugh at it, then burn the file to a disc, delete the file, then burn the disc.
in an oven.

Obligatory TV Tropes link.

But on topic, this does look like a watered-down, Americanized Death Note from what I've skimmed of the OP, but let's be honest: did anyone expect an American live-action Death Note adaptation to be any good?

I'm sorry, I just read the script all the way through and realize this is different from the Japanese live action movie. I'm disappointing. I could say some good things for the Japanese live action movies. There's nothing good about this.

Hollywood always ruins anything based on games or anime. The best movies from LA are always based on books or original concepts. That being said, I was disappointed in how the actual anime Death Note ended, but it was still a fantastic series overall. I really hope they don't deface it with a horrible movie.

A random person:
Obligatory TV Tropes link.

But on topic, this does look like a watered-down, Americanized Death Note from what I've skimmed of the OP, but let's be honest: did anyone expect an American live-action Death Note adaptation to be any good?

Does anyone expect a live action adaptation of anything to be good? I'm pretty sure they get the cheapest talent they can find since most of the sales will come from brand name loyalty anyway. Never heard about the show by the way, but I'm here. Please do not tell me what it is, as I stopped caring at the exact same time I learned it existed.

WHERE...IS...RYUK?!

Sigh...

Ah, so it seems Hollywood's doing it again eh? The typical American thing that is, muscling in on other culture's territory, trying to impose your own values, and generally fucking everything up. ...sorry borrowed that last bit from Yahtzee, but it's true none the less.

DarK Gun:
WHERE...IS...RYUK?!

Second!! Ryuk was one of the most amusing characters in that series!

I WILL NEVER TRUST HOLLYWOOD WITH ANIME!!!
after the major failure of Dragon Ball Evolution I see anything that Hollywood will do to anime as gay and/or a fail. I also want to add i wasn't fan of the anime but how horribly it was done i felt a slight pain for it.

why is it that in these adaptations they always feel the need to kill off one of the parents? And Luke?!?! agggghhhhhh

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY...

But...why? Why does everything good get ruined?

And is that rumour that Zac Efron is playing Light or *shiver* Murray true? Because that just makes it even worse.

Julianking93:
I have just been chatting with one of my internet friends on IMDB about the very popular anime/manga series "Death Note." I trust that most people on here know what this series is and are probably fans of it.

The conversation between me and IMDB guy eventually got to the new Hollywood adaptation of Death Note. Turns out, this guy has the script for it and was kind enough to give it to me. (well, a link to it. Don't have it anymore though. Its in my computer on word processor)

This script is terrible.

Here is a quick (sorta, compared to the actual script at least) summary of the script. I'll put it in spoilers since it's pretty long.

Well? It was bad right?

I think I've lost all faith in movies if this is all they can come up with. I would be perfectly happy if they just did a straight up frame by frame remake of the anime. They've almost completely changed the story!! The name's made since to the characters, why change them to genaric American names?

Why does Hollywood always have to do this? They take something great and Americanize it into total bullshit.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this script and Hollywood and the film industry in general?

well i didn't think it was so terrible,(but i will be singing a different tune in theatres)its completely different but it doesn't sound horrendus.

How is this that bad? I understand they changed it but they kept most of it the same. They even went out of there way to mention the shinigami. And that final scene with L looks decent.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlezx89c5u5txaj

Julianking93:

This script is terrible.

Well? It was bad right?

It was bad...I mean wow that script was really bad...

I'm going to cry when this comes out. It's Dragonball Evolution all over again...

That sounds about as good as an hour and a half adaptation could be. I don't get this whole resentment towards Americanization. America makes everything best.

pimppeter2:

So I dislike this show

What about Bill Murray ?

I don't even like the Anime and I know that DEATH. GODS. EAT. APPLES.

I'll be right back, me and my Death Chaingun have some rewriting to do.

I need about 6 volunteers to help me with my plan to take over hollywood and make sure they only produce GOOD movies. Who's with me?

Well, what can i say, at least they didn't touch the greats like akira or ghost in the shell or evangelion...

*aside* hmm, what?.. no... NO...

-

Dark knifer:
I need about 6 volunteers to help me with my plan to take over hollywood and make sure they only produce GOOD movies. Who's with me?

I'll join you

littlequietguy:
How is this that bad? I understand they changed it but they kept most of it the same. They even went out of there way to mention the shinigami. And that final scene with L looks decent.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlezx89c5u5txaj

While i agree that it is unreasonable to expect a shot for shot recreation, changing the names to generic crap and omitting Ryuk who was one of the main characters are valid reasons to be angry.

Look at Dragonball evolution had the same basic plotline, same characters(Same Names too) and look how bad that turned out, and this is going to be worse

...is it just me or does that plot seem like (what i remember of) the first live-action Death Note movie?

Sophia (Luke's girlfriend) - I guess there's no Japanese counterpart for her

There is in the Japanese movie actually. Just not in the anime.

Shiori Akino

Scikosomatic:
why is it that in these adaptations they always feel the need to kill off one of the parents?

Less people need paying with a smaller cast perhaps?

Julianking93:

crimson5pheonix:

It was that they split the series in two when making the movies and they were naff...

OT: It could be much worse. It could have Mello and Near. But don't worry the only Anime adaption you have to worry about is the upcoming Cowboy Bebop movie.

With Keanu Reeves as Spike.

Dark knifer:

Count me in.

Ragsnstitches:
Well, what can i say, at least they didn't touch the greats like akira or ghost in the shell or evangelion...

-

You know they're making live action Akira right?

EDIT: wait didn't read sorry :P

DarK Gun:
WHERE...IS...RYUK?!

I'm here, thanks for asking.
As for the script - it's bad. No remakes please! No TV shows please! No movies of the same plot please! Let some good things die and be remembered for being good.

Ragsnstitches:

-

You ninja'd my post...
But seriously, this is horrible, like, a whole new level of crappyness D:
also... live action Akira... Its pretty much certain that they will rape the normal ending :(
I'm still reeling from the Cowboy Bebop adaptation announce T_T

Julianking93:

crimson5pheonix:

If you liked the anime (Actually, if you like the idea of Death Note), I can recomend them. They're actually quite good.

I can't handle it. First I find out they are remaking one of the best Don Bluth movies of all time (Secret of NIMH), and now this...Hollywood, tell me. Why do you hate smart people?

Oh god... *vomit* This can't be real... This has to be fake, right? Haha... hahahah... I don't want to live in a world where something like this can exist...
I'm gonna kill everyone involved, then myself... That's what Tetsuya Nomura would want... Yeah... Haha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked