What if Slavery had never been abolished?

Okay, before I'm condemned as a racist. I want to put out that I'm not talking about Racial Slavery. Not African Slavery

The type of Slavery we will discuss is Captive Slavery. Or Slavery by capturing Foreign Enemy troops and using them for free labor.

This IS NOT the kind of Slavery were you have a guy get you some tea each morning, but Governments using their War captives as Slaves to build Roads and Make goods.

What if this was never stopped. What if America came home with Tons of Taliban soldiers to make us all cookies?

What I'm trying to say is the effect of that this kind of Slaver would have on the World today if it had never been stopped?

Would country's facing economical crises be more encouraged to go to war. Would this have any effect on Modern Day wars, or even World War 2? Would War be more based on the Economic boost you get from Capturing Slaves rather than nationalism? Does Godzilla like Cheese Fries or Curly Fries? How would War tactics change? Would Nuclear Warheads had been developed?

My mind was in a bit of a gutter and I did not do a search for this topic, I'm not sure if this has been done before, or recently to my best knowledge. But if it has, I apologize

Well, would there be MMO powerlevel slaves?
I can't imagine what today's people would want done for them...
Well, I can. That's the scary part.

I don't think I could conceive of such a thing. Doing so would mean essentially erasing large swaths of history that would lead to an incredibly different world. For one thing, it would mean getting rid of the entire Enlightenment...

...we'd have a lot more cotton that's for sure

Well, America today would be deemed even more hypocritical about their... *cough*... principles because of their government's actions.
But in the end, I'd say, it'd result in slave riots and a lot of destruction within the countries themselves who'd been taking slaves.

It wouldn't matter if it was abolished, the UN would find a way to outlaw it even if it meant using the coalition to enforce its ideals.

Slavery is inefficient.

If you keep slave labor you are not paying workers. Without paying workers you have nobody to buy stuff in your economy and you won't make as much money or produce as much goods. Also slavery is inefficient so long as there is manufacturing/mechanical processes. Slavery was rendered useless in part by the Industrial Revolution, and partly because of organized labor (remember, early workers were slaves in every aspect but name). However that only applies to people who had successful organized labor movements such as Americans and Europeans. Much of the people of the world simply haven't stood up, and might not win if they did.

So are captives taken in war a good idea? No. Firstly you cannot separate race from a slave taken in war. Ultimately animosities develop on both sides. Typically from captors mistreating slaves. Remember, the black slave trade was actually conducted by black tribes in Africa trading their slaves taken in war to Europeans in exchange for goods. However, due to racist sentiments from the slave traders and slave owners hatred developed between blacks and whites in America, not blacks against blacks back in Africa. Secondly you will create a class of people who will go on to breed, unless killed (war crimes). They will be your enemy for generations after, and rightly so. This could to lead to anything from a civil rights movement and the accompanying racial problems, to full on rebellion.

Slavery does still exist, for example sweat shops or factories in China. Sure these people get paid... a pittance, and they rarely leave their jobs, often sleep on site, work virtually all day (try an 18 hour shift) without seeing family or having hope for ever becoming anything than what they had the misfortune to be.

Resident Evil 5 would have been a much better game with the single-player environmental effects we were originally promised.

Am I the only one who remembers that?!?!?! Capcom, you sniveling PC sycophants!!! YOU LIED TO US!!!
*is hauled away by security*

I think the closest and most recent exhample of enslaving enemy POW's was done by the Russians in WW2. In that scnario, most of the German POW's died in the labour camp's. The allies also put German soldiers to work, coming to think of it, and it could be defined as slavery. I think the Americans had German POW's working in forest's and such, in Britain we had Germans working on the land. I remember reading in a book about my local history regarding a dispute between a farmer and a British officer, (there was a POW camp near where i live) the farmer insisted he paid the German POW's for their services, while the army officer was having none of it. The Brit's and American's treated their German POW's well,unlike the Russians.

If such things where the norm, i don't think that much will change. The slave labourers could only make the most basic low quality good's anyway, or basic manual labour,and they could only really be held for the duration of the war. Unless you plan to keeping them indefintly that is.

You'd just be bringing your enemy closer to home. Riots and armed slave insurgencys wouldn't be too far away from home I'd imagine.

Plus, there's the little thing that slavery itself is wrong and barbaric.

I agree with the slave revolts, but surely the government would keep these people on a tight leash

pimppeter2:
I agree with the slave revolts, but surely the government would keep these people on a tight leash

Don't forget that, if you took slaves from your enemy, then they'd probably hate you a whole lot more than they already do.
Hell, you might be giving them a reason to hate you.
In other words, start to take the Taliban as slaves and their numbers could double.

But looking at this from a piratical point of view, for one, it'd be incompatible with modern philosophy, so I except that it would get banned in months (this is assuming it came about in Today's' world.)

For another thing, as other have said, Slaves are inefficient, what jobs could they do?

They can't work in complicated office jobs, if you higher them to clean roads and shit like that then you're taking work, and, subsequently, pay, away from your own people.

The few jobs they can do hardly justifies the cost of transporting, feeding, and housing them.

Simply from an economic stand point the modern world has virtually no practical use for slaves.

Slavery still exist as in economic slavery. U.S. Government fond that at 32% interest a person could never get out of debt if they always pay the minimum. And see that credit card company prey on the young, stupid, and poor just another generation of slaves.

I think it would have abolished itself. Slave revolts and all that. You can't fight a war if you have to keep looking back over your shoulder to keep your own populace in check, and that goes for slaves. Especially war slaves, because most of them are soldiers with combat training surrounded by more individuals with the same combat training. That's a recipe for destruction right there.

Then...they; they took er jerbs!

There would be a lot more facebook status updates saying things like "I hate my job"

There would of been a revolution and the world would be completely different today.

pimppeter2:
Okay, before I'm condemned as a racist. I want to put out that I'm not talking about Racial Slavery. Not African Slavery

The type of Slavery we will discuss is Captive Slavery. Or Slavery by capturing Foreign Enemy troops and using them for free labor.

This IS NOT the kind of Slavery were you have a guy get you some tea each morning, but Governments using their War captives as Slaves to build Roads and Make goods.

What if this was never stopped. What if America came home with Tons of Taliban soldiers to make us all cookies?

What I'm trying to say is the effect of that this kind of Slaver would have on the World today if it had never been stopped?

Would country's facing economical crises be more encouraged to go to war. Would this have any effect on Modern Day wars, or even World War 2? Would War be more based on the Economic boost you get from Capturing Slaves rather than nationalism? Does Godzilla like Cheese Fries or Curly Fries? How would War tactics change? Would Nuclear Warheads had been developed?

My mind was in a bit of a gutter and I did not do a search for this topic, I'm not sure if this has been done before, or recently to my best knowledge. But if it has, I apologize

Ironically, and depressingly here's the fact.

The number of people in slavery today is several times greater then during the height of the slave trade to the US.

I don't have numbers; but if you don't believe me, then do a little research. It's a very sad situation.

Also on a side note; its an indirect product of nationalism (nations unwilling to co-operate on crossborder crime)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked