Being forced to work on Thanksgiving/Christmas: Is it right?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Of course Thanksgiving only applies to us in the US, but since others places celebrate Christmas too, bear with me.

Do you think it is right for places to make their employees work on these holidays? I mean this is when everybody should be with their families and enjoy the day, but many places like theatres, restaurants, and department stores are open on those days so that some people can still go out. A friend of mine is working this thanksgiving night 6PM-closing, that is just messed up.

I have always felt that it is wrong for those people to be put to work on those holidays. And it seems like it will always be like that.

I work in ASDA and work Christmas and new years eves' but working on the day themselves seems cruel to me. But I suppose people need to go shopping every day of the year I mean they might still want to buy a turkey and shove it in the microwave.

I've worked a thanksgiving before back when I was a salad bar attendant at a Ruby Tuesdays. Frankly, it's not really that bad if you consider a lack of anyone to enjoy the holiday with justifiable for missing out.

Ehh.
I dont like it but, its my job.
I haft to work or i get fired.
Though my managers are good at letting everyone have a few holidays off.

i have a choice of working 2/3 days, Christmas, Christmas Eve or new years. I hate them all.

It is wrong. If you need supplies on a public holiday, then it's your own fault that you forgot. Why should other people have to work to make up for someone else's forgetfulness?

It's neither good nor bad. On the plus side you get an extra day worth of pay. On the negative you have an extra day of work on a supposed "holiday".

Then again. If, like me, you have barely any friends at all and can easily just go out with them later I really don't think it matters. I would accept a Christmas work day as long as I get paid for it. In the end all that matters is the amount of money you have to spare for luxuries and not just getting by.

This holds especially true for those making just enough to scrape by. To them an extra day of pay is a good thing.

Or flip that on its head then. Is it right that I couldn't find these services if I don't celebrate Christmas? Not everyone celebrates the same holidays, I've been lead to believe that theaters traditionally see a large influx of ticket sales on Christmas from those of the Jewish faith.

If you work in the service or retail industry you want/need to be open when enough of your customers want to purchase. So no, I don't think it's wrong, and if anyone doesn't like it then that's all that more incentive to find a different and probably better job.

Well, I think it mainly depends for Christmas on if you're religious. You don't force Muslims to eat at Rabbadan (SP?) or force Jews to work on the Sabbath. If you're a Christian, you should definitely be able to take Christmas off

January 1st is my birthday, they can bugger off if they expect me to work, but I have always been let off seeing as it is my birthday as well as New Years.

(Not that I would turn up if they made me)

Extra pay is always sweet. I think most places should be closed except the necessary places (hospitals, police stations, fire departments). These places that need to be open should make an effort to look for people who want to work those days for extra pay, or maybe they don't celebrate x-mas (different religeon, or whatever reason). But, seeing as some places are needed, if need be they would have to assign people to work regardless.

Restaurants, grocery stores, movie theatres, ect.(businesses I suppose) should all be closed though. They are not a necessity, so they should not be able to force people to work on said days.

Actually, nothing but society forces you to go to work on holidays. Sure, you might get fired for skippin' work, but hey, nobody's gonna' throw you in jail for it.

If an employer wants to make a rule that you must work on holidays, then they're totally free to do that. You signed the paperwork, friend. You knew that if you wanted this job, you might have to work holidays.

So, basically, it's totally fair.

Also, this:

Slycne:
Or flip that on its head then. Is it right that I couldn't find these services if I don't celebrate Christmas? Not everyone celebrates the same holidays, I've been lead to believe that theaters traditionally see a large influx of ticket sales on Christmas from those of the Jewish faith.

If you work in the service or retail industry you want/need to be open when enough of your customers want to purchase. So no I don't think it's wrong, and if anyone doesn't like it then that's all that more incentive to find a different and probably better job.

Excellent. I can't believe I didn't say this.

I work in the game industry and while we get those days off, many of us will volunteer to work on those days. Being forced to work those days is no issue in my opinion, however if you are forced to work, you should get time off nearby to allow for family gatherings and such.

There's nothing inherently special about the holidays.
Work, take a vacation day, or get fired.

Your choice.

Every American citizen (who's ancestors weren't natives) Should be FORCED to work on thanksgiving. Just think of it as community service.

Eh, at the place i worked at thru university people used to fight to try to work holidays.. It was double-time and a half pay.

The extra cash was always nice.

I work every Christmas, and almost every other holiday as well.. Doesnt really bother me that much..
Im a fishfarmer, and the salmon wants food every day. So cant really skip it and sit on my ass at home..

But you make twice the money, get double pay cause of holiday.. Also get paid the holidays that i dont work, not many days that but still..

The world cant stop turning just because some people believe in a comic book written 2000 years ago..

It wouldn't be so bad if every person who walked in didn't f*cking have a comment about it. Ex-"So you are open. Wow, that is a shame.""Must suck to be here today" etc. I seriously just want to stop the person(s)and say, "You make me want to kill myself". This is why I do not work any place that is open Thankgiving or Christmas anymore.

TW-No,personally, I do not think most places should be open on holidays, but I do have friends who work in restaurants who count on working Thanksgiving cause the tips are so good, so what the hell do I know.

I get paid overtime (one and a half times my normal pay) to work on holidays. I'd be stupid not to.

If the company offers overtime such as holiday pay, then perhaps--IF the employee in question wants to work.

I'm new at my job, so I am definately going to be working Thanksgiving and maybe on Christmas. I have no problem with it personally. It's extra money and it's unlikely that a CVS would be too crowded on a holiday.

Every holiday in the world is a normal day for many people. So why should you not have to work some of these days? Most companies give you a choice which holiday you want to work anyway, so pick the one you don't feel is too special.
And it's not like they make you work the entire day either.

Back when I worked in a restaurant I nearly always worked Christmas. You get double pay, better tips and you don't have to spend the day with your family. It's a win-win-win situation.

SantoUno:
Of course Thanksgiving only applies to us in the US, but since others places celebrate Christmas too, bear with me.

Do you think it is right for places to make their employees work on these holidays? I mean this is when everybody should be with their families and enjoy the day, but many places like theatres, restaurants, and department stores are open on those days so that some people can still go out. A friend of mine is working this thanksgiving night 6PM-closing, that is just messed up.

I have always felt that it is wrong for those people to be put to work on those holidays. And it seems like it will always be like that.

Humbug... GET BACK TO WORK CRATCHIT!

Eh, I don't really think it's right, but the majority of the time when you are hired for a job you tend to know when you're going to be forced to work in situations like these.

I've worked several Black Fridays (which I know isn't as bad as Thanksgiving but still..) and I've known many a comrade who has been forced to work Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years. I also had to work 4th of July two summers ago. That blew.

My biggest pet peeve about all that is when you get sent home early. I remember I had to work for like 4 hours for the 4th, and my boss sent me home early after I had forfeited a vacation at the beach for one bullshitty day of work.

Its not wrong at all, its your job. If you don't want to work holidays, find a job that doesn't require it. The vast majority of jobs do not require it.

With that said, I do think people should be paid double-time for working holidays. Since I don't celebrate any holidays, I normally volunteer to work these days.

Most places of business have it be a volunteer time, for those who either don't celebrate, or don't have family and want to pick up some over-time.

The title of this thread however is wrong, no one is FORCED to work the holidays, they choose to go along with it. No manager ever forces the employee to work at gunpoint, the employee comes in to work of their on volition.

SantoUno:

Depends on what kind of work it is. We can't have the hospital/police station/fire department shut down even if it's Christmas, can we?

Man up and live with it. Once you take the job, you've either got to suck up to your boss to get the time off, call the most inadvised sickie or just do your damn job.

Melon Hunter:
It is wrong. If you need supplies on a public holiday, then it's your own fault that you forgot. Why should other people have to work to make up for someone else's forgetfulness?

costumer's always right. they could always spend their money elsewhere, which most don't want.

Also, some religions don't celebrate Christmas, does this too make it unethical to make them work at that time? (note: some other holiday may be on at the same time of Christmas, but i'm arrogant and don't really care. Just raising a question.)

JaredXE:
Most places of business have it be a volunteer time, for those who either don't celebrate, or don't have family and want to pick up some over-time.

The title of this thread however is wrong, no one is FORCED to work the holidays, they choose to go along with it. No manager ever forces the employee to work at gunpoint, the employee comes in to work of their on volition.

It's the same as forcing, if the employee is risking their main source of income. No money = no fun, remember? (whoever said money doesn't buy happiness was wrong)

Well i understand if parents of small children should get a day off, but i would never accept not beeing able to go to the pub on christmas eve, got to get my refuge from the family.
I personally wouldnt have a problem with work on holidays, especially christmas makes me sick, everyone who's talking bad about each other secretly or was fighting for years behaves as if they suddenly love each other. Its a weird wrong vibe, feels like plastic and lie.

Welcome to life.
People want money, people need money. Until businesses and corporations decide that the middle and lower classes deserve a break, folks will be working.

Additionally, I'd rather have a few hospitals, firefighters and members of the police force on the job during the holidays. I'm just sayin'.

I'm gonna work on Christmas, mainly out of the fact that any (if any) presents I get will come from my salary.
I'm a sad, lonely bastard who is plotting your destruction, yes.

They have to have RAs on duty during breaks to make sure that people in college who stay home for the mini-holidays (international students and etc) don't set everything on fire. But there are some people who would rather work than go home.

Not me certainly.

This probably isn't done in other places but at my work(Waitrose) we got Christmas off because the store was closed, and the half Day for Christmas Eve and the day after Boxing Day was volunteer only. Basically, to work on those days you had to opt in for it (at double pay and for a half day only). They never once had a problem getting enough people in, because the majority of the warehouse and shop floor workers were students, so they didn't particularly care about anything other than money.

However, being forced to work those days does seem a little harsh.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked