Being forced to work on Thanksgiving/Christmas: Is it right?

Pages PREV 1 2

People don't need to shop at midnight on Black Friday, it's just an attempt to grab a bigger portion of the holiday spending. I've been in retail for a long time and I think this new trend is just pathetic.

Corpse XxX:
I work every Christmas, and almost every other holiday as well.. Doesnt really bother me that much..
Im a fishfarmer, and the salmon wants food every day. So cant really skip it and sit on my ass at home..

But you make twice the money, get double pay cause of holiday.. Also get paid the holidays that i dont work, not many days that but still..

The world cant stop turning just because some people believe in a comic book written 2000 years ago..

This basically. Think of all the emergency service staff that keep providing that service regardless of what day it is. Something simply cannot be cast aside for a day...

Also...

Your bible had pictures!? Aww man, all I gots is funny words...

I would gladly work on Thanksgiving or Christmas. More hours equals more money.

I'm not religious so I don't care about that. The delicious food and chance of presents however...

I worked those holidays because I got paid time and a half and because I didn't really like hanging around my family anyway. So it was fine for me.

SantoUno:
I mean this is when everybody should be with their families and enjoy the day

Umm... maybe for you... I can do one or the other. If I wanted to enjoy the day, I would be home alone. Which is why I don't understand why my family gets together on Thanksgiving if we all hate each other. Sure, it is the nice thing to do, but the "nice" thing makes us all miserable... why can't be just stay at our own houses and be nice, fuck what society says we're supposed to do...

While it is undeniable that people will always have to work Holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. I say on those days only make people work three hours with two days pay.

MAKING them work, no, giving them he opportunity to so they can if they want, fine.

The only day Harris Teeter closes is Christmas Day. It's open until 2 PM on Thanksgiving.

They're just days, life doesn't stop. Whats cruel is ALL YOU PEOPLE BUYING GROCERIES THE DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING! RGGHLLL! I HATE YOU ALL, GET YOUR SHIT AHEAD OF TIME!

i don't really mind, i'm Canadian and we have Thanksgiving but it's in October, much closer to harvest time.

as for working those days, if it's your job you have to do it. i've worked them and it doesn't really bother me too much

MaxTheReaper:
There's nothing inherently special about the holidays.
Work, take a vacation day, or get fired.

Your choice.

To support and rephrase in a slightly less-than-nice manner:

They're just another day. No, I don't care what your religious persuasion is. Yes, I know that it's a "national holiday." Yes, I know that some religions require you to not work on certain days. Grow up. People work on these days. If you really want to celebrate these holidays on a day off, then reschedule Christmas a few days later. Nowhere does it say that you "must celebrate these holidays when they're scheduled for everyone or not at all."

I work at a movie theater (which I really hate right now due to the fucking chaos of New Moon...) and we have to work holidays unless we're going out of town, but sometimes they'll let one or two people off or we'll cover each other's shifts. We don't get holiday pay, and it's fairly annoying. I know my family would be together on holidays if my brother and I didn't work, but we do, so the get-togethers are a day before or after and it's really fucking busy on the holiday itself.

Tears of Blood:
Actually, nothing but society forces you to go to work on holidays. Sure, you might get fired for skippin' work, but hey, nobody's gonna' throw you in jail for it.

If an employer wants to make a rule that you must work on holidays, then they're totally free to do that. You signed the paperwork, friend. You knew that if you wanted this job, you might have to work holidays.

So, basically, it's totally fair.

Also, this:

Slycne:
Or flip that on its head then. Is it right that I couldn't find these services if I don't celebrate Christmas? Not everyone celebrates the same holidays, I've been lead to believe that theaters traditionally see a large influx of ticket sales on Christmas from those of the Jewish faith.

If you work in the service or retail industry you want/need to be open when enough of your customers want to purchase. So no I don't think it's wrong, and if anyone doesn't like it then that's all that more incentive to find a different and probably better job.

Excellent. I can't believe I didn't say this.

These pretty much sum it up. It sucks, but there is no logical reason for why they shouldn't, although where I work they ask for volunteers for Xmas day so it isn't too bad seeing as anyone working chose to do so.

On a side-note: Awesome DTB avatar Tears of Blood.

thanksgiving, yeah as long as it's not a long day

christmas, only if you don't celebrate christmas. why should i have to work on my second-most religous holiday when the jewish people who I work with could easily come in?

I get a little extra cash and cred with my boss for working through holidays, so yeah, I'm all for it. Especially being about a day's drive from my nearest relative, it makes it kinda easy to work those days.

Surely hardly anyone would be shopping anyway, right?

I don't know, I spend all day at home with my family on Christmas...LIKE A NORMAL PERSON

ChocoFace:

Melon Hunter:
It is wrong. If you need supplies on a public holiday, then it's your own fault that you forgot. Why should other people have to work to make up for someone else's forgetfulness?

costumer's always right. they could always spend their money elsewhere, which most don't want.

Also, some religions don't celebrate Christmas, does this too make it unethical to make them work at that time? (note: some other holiday may be on at the same time of Christmas, but i'm arrogant and don't really care. Just raising a question.)

I was talking about any public holiday, religious or not, including the Bank Holidays in Britain and the 4th of July in America. So, shouldn't everyone have those days off?

Also, I've been working in a store where we charge a penny for a plastic bag, and about a third of the customers are petty enough to argue, complain, or in one case even demand a refund because they have to pay the smallest amount of currency they can physically pay for a bag. Mostly because of this, I think that the public don't deserve any sympathy such as the 'customer is always right'.

JaredXE:
The title of this thread however is wrong, no one is FORCED to work the holidays, they choose to go along with it. No manager ever forces the employee to work at gunpoint, the employee comes in to work of their on volition.

Isn't that kind of exaggerating? The title is not wrong because you are not given the option to be able to not work on that day, if you MUST work on one of those days and you don't want to you are being forced to work against your will. Because if you defy you suffer consequences.

If I had a Girlfriend/wife/ then I would be pissed if I had to work on Christmas. If no, then I wouldn't care.

Melon Hunter:
snip

i guess if it's a holiday someone celebrates, then sure. I see no reason to object.

But the customer is right. I stand by that. I hate it, true, but it's a fact.
Allow me to elaborate: Customers buy what they like where they like. If you give them bad service, they'll just mind their bussiness elsewhere equaling less money for you.

Also, some customers may begin to argue, complain, etc not because of what you're charging, but rather for a sense of superiority.
Just remind them the price of what they're actually buying and make them compare it that 1 penny. If that doesn't work...fake a heart-attack or something.

If no one worked on one day, there would likely be disastrous consequences for an urban society.

Capitalism

It dont stop because you believe in Family OR Jesus

Now get back to work OR try for unemployment

Machines Are Us:
On a side-note: Awesome DTB avatar Tears of Blood.

I get that a lot. xP

Jarrid:

SantoUno:
Of course Thanksgiving only applies to us in the US, but since others places celebrate Christmas too, bear with me.

Do you think it is right for places to make their employees work on these holidays? I mean this is when everybody should be with their families and enjoy the day, but many places like theatres, restaurants, and department stores are open on those days so that some people can still go out. A friend of mine is working this thanksgiving night 6PM-closing, that is just messed up.

I have always felt that it is wrong for those people to be put to work on those holidays. And it seems like it will always be like that.

Humbug... GET BACK TO WORK CRATCHIT!

I suppose next they're going to want an extra bit of coal for their warming lanterns. BAH!

ChocoFace:

Melon Hunter:
snip

i guess if it's a holiday someone celebrates, then sure. I see no reason to object.

But the customer is right. I stand by that. I hate it, true, but it's a fact.
Allow me to elaborate: Customers buy what they like where they like. If you give them bad service, they'll just mind their bussiness elsewhere equaling less money for you.

Also, some customers may begin to argue, complain, etc not because of what you're charging, but rather for a sense of superiority.
Just remind them the price of what they're actually buying and make them compare it that 1 penny. If that doesn't work...fake a heart-attack or something.

I might try that =). It sounds like an original idea, although it'll probably just make them angrier...

Cajt:

SantoUno:
Of course Thanksgiving only applies to us in the US, but since others places celebrate Christmas too, bear with me.

Do you think it is right for places to make their employees work on these holidays? I mean this is when everybody should be with their families and enjoy the day, but many places like theatres, restaurants, and department stores are open on those days so that some people can still go out. A friend of mine is working this thanksgiving night 6PM-closing, that is just messed up.

I have always felt that it is wrong for those people to be put to work on those holidays. And it seems like it will always be like that.

Depends on what kind of work it is. We can't have the hospital/police station/fire department shut down even if it's Christmas, can we?

Exactly what I was thinking. My first job was working 4 years at a hospital in the Food department and even we had to work the Holidays. Sick people don't take a holiday and neither do we.

Now, granted, we were given a chance to work a few and take a few off, but I always offered to work any and all holidays they needed me in. Plus, you know, time and a half for a quick holiday shift? I can suck up waiting a few more hours for turkey and/or presents.

First of all, other places celebrate Thanksgiving as well as the US. Secondly, if 'essential services' like paramedics, police, fire and transit service workers have to work, what makes a dishwasher in a restaurant so special that they don't have to?

I live in a very multicultural city, where it's not a surprise to go to a convenience store and see it closed due to the owner's religious holiday observance. Every race and every culture's beliefs should be tolerated, but since nations like Canada and the US were founded on the Christian belief system most of their holidays are considered national holidays and as such have extra rules applied to them.

It's not fair, but you can't really adopt a system that works for everyone. The system we have now just works for the majority. If you don't like working on holidays, change your job. You do have the legal right to refuse to work a holiday unless you work for an essential service, and you also have some legal rights pertaining to getting paid extra for doing so.

Well, my father is a firefighter and every other year or so he has to work Christmas. I mean, what happens when your tree sets fire? Do you want it to light the rest of the house on fire?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked