So Does Anyone Like Aquaman?

People and television have been making fun of the poor guy for years. Is he really that bad? If you couldn't tell, I like Aquaman. In Justice Leauge the cartoon, he was a fun character to watch and his episodes were always entertaining. In Batman: The Brave and the Bold, they made him way funnier and, I think, better to watch.

Besides that, he's really not that bad of a hero. Super-strength, can breath underwater, can now see through the eyes of fish, can swim at submarine speed, and "He now speaks and understands the languages of the sentient sea peoples unaided, and has a limited ability to communicate with nonsentient sea life. He cannot speak directly to them as his predecessor could, but can send and receive emotional impressions and desires, such as communicating a need for help".

All in all, I think he's pretty good, I just don't like the way he's used in comics. How about the rest of you?

no I really don’t
he is the most un inspired comic book hero out there.
cant find the article on cracked but he was a shameless rip-off from some old book.

Who's Aquaman? I only know Superman, Spider-Man and Batman.

I prefer Namor (Marvel) to Aquaman (DC), not sure why, but I always felt like Aquaman was kind of useless. There is a scene on Kingdom Come when Superman and Wonder Woman go to Atlantis to ask Aquaman help to solve the crysis on earth, he says that he has obligations that are beyond their comprehension. I guess it is true since on earth, he is really useless.

Well, if you actually look at his abilities. He's pretty overpowered. However, no, the costume, background and attitude matter more than power and due to this... He sucks.

Eliam_Dar:
I prefer Namor (Marvel) to Aquaman (DC), not sure why, but I always felt like Aquaman was kind of useless. There is a scene on Kingdom Come when Superman and Wonder Woman go to Atlantis to ask Aquaman help to solve the crysis on earth, he says that he has obligations that are beyond their comprehension. I guess it is true since on earth, he is really useless.

That's because Namor was a dick and beat up nazis at one point.

The best thing Aquaman has ever done is cut off his hand.

Aquaman is alot like batman *BATMAN FANS READ ON BEFORE DISMISSING* they are two great superheros, there both in a league of there own.

Batman is great when hes fighting 'super' villains such as the joker, Aquaman is great fighting underwater villians such as Black manta.

But when its Superman/wonder woman/flash/green lantern and Aquaman/batman in the same story, fighting villians like doomsday and darkseid, they look..well. A bit silly.

P.S I am an aquaman fan, and sort of a batman fan, Im not dissing.

coxafloppin:
Aquaman is alot like batman *BATMAN FANS READ ON BEFORE DISMISSING* they are two great superheros, there both in a league of there own.

Batman is great when hes fighting 'super' villains such as the joker, Aquaman is great fighting underwater villians such as Black manta.

But when its Superman/wonder woman/flash/green lantern and Aquaman/batman in the same story, fighting villians like doomsday and darkseid, they look..well. A bit silly.

Batman's not a superhero.

Depends on how far his powers extend. He can control all of the citizens of the deep, correct? That would then most likely include the deepest one of all...

Amnestic:

coxafloppin:

Is it really the powers that make the superhero? I mean is Ironman a superhero?

IS ARM-FALL-OFF BOY A SUPERHERO?

I can kinda sympathize with the guy, to be honest. He's pretty damn powerful, but people mostly remember the "talks to fish" thing...

I always figured he could be defeated by retreating slightly in land?

Any truth to that? I mainly read Batman and Captain America, and anything with crossovers I tend to avoid because I find they get a bit annoying so my exposure to the man of the clams with plan is pretty limited

coxafloppin:

Amnestic:

coxafloppin:

Is it really the powers that make the superhero? I mean is Ironman a superhero?

IS ARM-FALL-OFF BOY A SUPERHERO?

Yes, it is superpowers which make a superhero (or Villain).

Ironman is just a rich guy with a fancy suit. Batman is just a rich guy with a fancy suit, a bunch of gadgets, ninja training and a rocket car.

Limb-Detacho-Man is...uh...well his power is supernatural, so I guess it's a 'super' power.

If a bit of a shitty one.

I liked him in the more recent cartoons, especially "Justice League." Especially enjoyed the scene where he has to rescue his son...

Amnestic:

coxafloppin:

Nope, he's a superninjahero. Huge difference.

He's a super-ninja!

Aquaman is great, except for when he wore that stupid hook in the 90s. And if you think Aquaman is useless remember that the planet is 75% Water, and Read Blackest Night #2

I love how they portray him in Batman: Brave and the Bold. A brash adventurer with a Zapp Brannigan level of arrogance.

Aquaman gets a bad rap mainly when he's stuck in things like Superfriends (of which seanbaby set the bar in aquamocking) or justice league.

While batman has 'non-combat' skills and resources to help out indirectly. Aquaman is only of any use underwater, and even there you would rather have Green Lantern or Superman if possible. However, it's a lot easier to write decent stories for Aquaman, simply because he doesn't have to have one crippling weakness that is used all the time.

darksusano:
Depends on how far his powers extend. He can control all of the citizens of the deep, correct? That would then most likely include the deepest one of all...

This. Aquaman can summon a f&@#ing Cthulhu maybe not Cthulhu, but Dagon for sure. And make him fight evil. What else could you possibly need?

I only know Namor (Marvel) but I really don't like him. I do like him better than Sandman, but that's really no reference.

i bet he likes fish-sticks.....eh..eh...any takers?

Kollega:

darksusano:

This. Aquaman can summon a f&@#ing Cthulhu. And make him fight evil. What else could you possibly need?

a cthulhu to fight him.

Kollega:

darksusano:

This. Aquaman can summon a f&@#ing Cthulhu. And make him fight evil. What else could you possibly need?

Dagon. Mother Hydra. Deep Ones.

See, Cthulhu isn't a water creature. He's from space. It's just he sleeps underwater because R'lyeh got submerged. But Dagon and Hydra are definitively water creatures (they may in fact just be massice Deep Ones and not Old Ones)

Unless of course you go with Derleth's interpretation which classes Cthulhu as a water being. But Derleth also split the Old Ones into good and evil, so he can shove the "water being" up his arse. [/Lovecraft rant]

StevieWonderMk2:

Dagon. Mother Hydra. Deep Ones.

See, Cthulhu isn't a water creature. He's from space. It's just he sleeps underwater because R'lyeh got submerged. But Dagon and Hydra are definitively water creatures (they may in fact just be massice Deep Ones and not Old Ones)

Unless of course you go with Derleth's interpretation which classes Cthulhu as a water being. But Derleth also split the Old Ones into good and evil, so he can shove the "water being" up his arse. [/Lovecraft rant]

Okay then.

Well he gets us back with the rising sea levels..

metagaia:
Aquaman gets a bad rap mainly when he's stuck in things like Superfriends (of which seanbaby set the bar in aquamocking) or justice league.

While batman has 'non-combat' skills and resources to help out indirectly. Aquaman is only of any use underwater, and even there you would rather have Green Lantern or Superman if possible. However, it's a lot easier to write decent stories for Aquaman, simply because he doesn't have to have one crippling weakness that is used all the time.

Aquaman is actually super-strong on land, just not Superman strong. He just can't stay above water for long.

Hell yea.
That loser is awesome. Can't really do much but hes still fucking Aquaman

out of all the DC people, i prefer Aquaman second only to Batman.

He seems like a cool guy with an interesting story and powers that i wouldn't mind having. But, i never liked DC all that much safe for their Vertigo line (which is amazing) so i might not be the best judge.

I used to talk a lot of shit about Aquaman. Then, I read Justice. I'm fairly certain any naysayers of Aquaman will have a change of heart from one of Alex Ross's masterpieces.

Furthest Aquaman:
Aquaman is actually super-strong on land, just not Superman strong. He just can't stay above water for long.

Yeah...personally, with this regard, I would actually consider him less useful than say...a moderately sized frog. At least they can stay out of water for a decent time.

Eh, he's okay.

I'm not a big fan of all those super heroes anyways, they're fairly bad written, wear incredibly bad costumes, and don't do much. With great power comes great responsibility. That must be why we have to see Superman and others like him waste time doing little things and having their ass kryptonized by the same guy instead of actually using their powers to full extent.

And considering how many super-super-powered super heroes are stuck on Earth, doing almost nothing, instead of turning their eyes upon the rest of the galaxy - which is clearly teeming with intelligent life in most comic books (this especially applies when they aren't human in the first place), that's almost like criminal negligence - you don't call yourself a super hero if you use your powers to traverse the whole galaxy in mere seconds, change reality and generally fuck shit up to get a cat off a tree.

Aquaman is okay but he seems to lose his edge when he's not in the water which would be a lot of the time when not facing water based foes. Didn't they give him a hook for a hand to make him seem more badass? Does that mean even the creator though he was a bit lame?

My only experience with Aquaman is through JLA comics by Grant Morrison. And in those, he was awesome. In every sense of the word.

Gormourn:
Eh, he's okay.

I'm not a big fan of all those super heroes anyways, they're fairly bad written, wear incredibly bad costumes, and don't do much. With great power comes great responsibility. That must be why we have to see Superman and others like him waste time doing little things and having their ass kryptonized by the same guy instead of actually using their powers to full extent.

And considering how many super-super-powered super heroes are stuck on Earth, doing almost nothing, instead of turning their eyes upon the rest of the galaxy - which is clearly teeming with intelligent life in most comic books (this especially applies when they aren't human in the first place), that's almost like criminal negligence - you don't call yourself a super hero if you use your powers to traverse the whole galaxy in mere seconds, change reality and generally fuck shit up to get a cat off a tree.

Try the Radicial Comics line. No costumes, no tights, good stories, and believable characters.

Twilight_guy:
Aquaman is okay but he seems to lose his edge when he's not in the water which would be a lot of the time when not facing water based foes. Didn't they give him a hook for a hand to make him seem more badass? Does that mean even the creator though he was a bit lame?

He loses his edge, but he can still match some of the other villians. And its not like he can only spend half an hour above water as well.

No one ever cares about Aquaman. Serious.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked