Does Human consciousness die with the body?
Yes
72.5% (179)
72.5% (179)
No
25.9% (64)
25.9% (64)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Does human consciousness die with the body?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This is a question that has been troubling me for quite some time now. I'm having such a hard time imagining a "life after death" because I've never been around to experience life without.. well life. What are your opinions on the matter?

(I mean no offense to any religious people with this thread, and I'm not denying the presence of an afterlife or heaven.)

This could be seen as religious, and probably should be in the Religion and Politics category.
OT: I believe in reincarnation... so no.

There is no afterlife

Oh yes. This ends well.
But on topic. Everything we are is the result of chemicals in our brains. Although we think we have free will we really do have set reactions. So as such we can not possess "souls" and are just biological machines. So when we die that is it.

Scientific consensus on the subject is that Yes, yes it does.

I have yet to find any sort of proof otherwise, so I'll stick with that.

A double edged sword for either opinion.

If you say there is an afterlife, that human consciousness lives on after the body, you would need to prove your statement by dying, returning to life, and telling us.

If you say there is NO afterlife, and thus, human consciousness dies with the body, you would need to prove your statement by dying, returning to life, and telling us that there is nothing.

Seeing as how it is impossible to return to life (no, the whole 'you die when your heart stops' thing doesn't count, for obvious reasons), an actual answer can't be determined.

I just know how this is going to end. At some point, someone is going to use a statement akin to "This is the truth, and anyone who disagrees with me is an *insult*, resulting in lots of drama that is not needed.

But hey, this is the internet. A fight is going to break out anyway >_>

Obviously it does. Are there any non-physical phenomena? No.

Scientifically, yes, 100%. It does along with the rest of it.

Most people prefer to ignore that because then the fear of death doesn't seem so bad. We, as human beings, have a seriously hard time accepting that we wont exist one day. All throughout human history, people have believed there was an afterlife. Whether it be through Jesus or through the Sun gods.

I know my good friend, science, seems to believe so, but...
I don't know. I just don't see how something as...indefinable as consciousness could just be some set chemical reactions. I'm not religious, so without any proof I'm not going to think that some omnipotent being supplied me with it, and is waiting in the wings to collect it afterwards. Still...maybe there is an answer in-between? It would be presumptuous of us to think that we are definitely right about something being someway, given how insignificant we are.

There's only one way to really find out for sure... You'd have to kill yourself, then try and report back to let the rest of us know. Doesn't sound like a good idea, does it? Hehe!
Anything's possible, until proven otherwise, but I'm not looking for a definate answer anytime soon, that's for sure!

EspirituExterminatus:
Oh yes. This ends well.
But on topic. Everything we are is the result of chemicals in our brains. Although we think we have free will we really do have set reactions. So as such we can not possess "souls" and are just biological machines. So when we die that is it.

We... actually have no clue how thoughts work.

Several scientists... actual scientists... believe in a shared, greater consciousness.

OT: I do not think our minds die. I think that our conscious thought lives on, and we create other lives within our minds to entertain ourselves.

Moreover, I think that this is that.

We are all currently dead.

ShadowPen:

If you say there is an afterlife, that human consciousness lives on after the body, you would need to prove your statement by dying, returning to life, and telling us.

If you say there is NO afterlife, and thus, human consciousness dies with the body, you would need to prove your statement by dying, returning to life, and telling us that there is nothing.

Seeing as how it is impossible to return to life (no, the whole 'you die when your heart stops' thing doesn't count, for obvious reasons), an actual answer can't be determined.

And even IF it would be possible, either statements can be disproven

If ZombieMan says there is an afterlife, it will be "obviously because he hallucinated" for one reason or another.

If ZombieMan says there is nothing, it will be because "obviously he forgot all about afterlife/couldn't experience it" because it is "god's will"

ShadowPen:

I just know how this is going to end. At some point, someone is going to use a statement akin to "This is the truth, and anyone who disagrees with me is an *insult*, resulting in lots of drama that is not needed.

We can prove that consciousness is linked to brain activity, we can also prove that brain activity has a tendency to cease when you die. Though you can never fully prove that there is no consciousness after death (just as you can never prove that when I drop this apple it will not fall up), you can still draw conclusions based upon the current extent of our scientific knowledge.

gRiM_rEaPeRsco:
There is no afterlife

what he said.

Amnestic:

ShadowPen:

We can prove that consciousness is linked to brain activity, we can also prove that brain activity has a tendency to cease when you die. Though you can never fully prove that there is no consciousness after death (just as you can never prove that when I drop this apple it will not fall up), you can still draw conclusions based upon the current extent of our scientific knowledge.

Is that your consciousness? We have no evidence that our consciousness is linked to our brain.

EDIT

Oh shit I misread your post.

Disregard my post.

Yes. Can be proved both philosophically and biologically.

Sucks to not be at peace with your own mortality, doesn't it?

I would like to believe so, but I'm not going to go "all in" on that hope.

Live the best damn life you can, so even if there is nothing at the end of this great journey... you won't have any regrets.

Eventually we will all find out what comes after, until then don't think about it.

Spongeguardian:
This is a question that has been troubling me for quite some time now. I'm having such a hard time imagining a "life after death" because I've never been around to experience life without.. well life.

Then how was it before you were born?

Kind of depressing when you think about it but... well, yea. Enjoy it now while you have it. And then hope those around afterward will know you enough to remember you or laugh about their time with you

I felt kind of ripped off when I first realized it- but I see it differently

I would say that it dies before the body completely stopped functioning.

Unless you would find a way to transfer it to a computer or something, and that would go to the realm of science fiction. I don't really see any way a "soul" would make sense. Consciousness is what your brain does, and when it's no longer working, no consciousness.

I'd say yes. Although a humans awesomeness can live on. Just look at Bruce Lee, still awesome even though he's dead.

I hold consciousness to be an emergent property of an active, functional brain. Completely cease the operations of the brain via death for example, and that consciousness stops, as nothing is 'producing' it any more.

So yes, in my opinion death of the body results in the death of consciousness.

Does it really matter? I just think you should live by the philosophy of preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. So, it doesn't matter if there is an afterlife, because what you should be doing is making sure you get as much out of this life as you can. However, you should always hope for the best (yes I know science has 'disproved' an afterlife as much as it can at this point) because hope can keep depressing thoughts at bay, which makes you able to be happier more often, which, in turn, means you can get the most out of life.

OT: I believe in that philosophy. Basically, I don't believe in an afterlife but seeing as it cannot be completely disproven I choose to not dismiss it completely.

I've always thought about this and I just can't decide. It just feels impossible for my consciousness to ever end, it seems too weird, but it also seems impossible for it to keep going after my brain is dead...

We are born from oblivion and in death return to it (and no that's not the place full of fiery demons and dodgy architecture).

Or: Brain dun work too gud wen dedlol.

Everyone as pretty much said all there is to say on the matter, but I just wanted to add my personal opinion. I just refuse to believe that any self-conscious being completely ceases to exist when they die. To have it so would make all of life pointless IMO, because even if you do good in your life, then all you did was affect others who are doomed to not exist in the near future. In the greater scheme of things, each individual's death is meaningless, therefore whatever you do in life is also meaningless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if we all live to eventually die, and then be gone completely, then there is no point to life at all. We may as well as just nuke the planet so that no one ever has to suffer any more. Anything we could ever do on our tiny, insignificant planet won't affect the universe, or probably even another solar system, so why put the effort and suffering of trillions of lifeforms through life's problems. That's why I do believe in something after death. If there is something to exist for, then maybe we can make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, why wouldn't it?

To me it seems almost ignorant to give a definite answer for either answer as there is no way someone can know about the afterlife, even if there is no religion it doesn't necessarily mean that afterlife is an implausibility.

Outcomes

1) Nothing - not too good, but not too bad
2) Afterlife - good for awhile, but not for eternity, you'll go insane
3) Reincarnation - Kinda the middle ground, get put back into the Matrix good/bad

rabidmidget:
To me it seems almost ignorant to give a definite answer for either answer as there is no way someone can know about the afterlife, even if there is no religion it doesn't necessarily mean that afterlife is an implausibility.

This. Thread needs an 'It's impossible to know' option.

I am a Christian, so I believe that there is life after death.

After death there is no consciousness, some people resort to religion and believe there is something after death so they don't fear dying that much. I believe in biology and it says after you are dead that's the end of you. I doubt there's a place where 500 billion people that ever died go to, and if so why not all the 500000 billion animals as well. Also we commit at least two sins daily so i doubt everyone would suffer torture till infinity. And infinity is something you cant define and just thinking about it makes you depressed and confused. But we will all die sooner or later so might as well wait for our answers. About all those people with near death experiences i think that's a load of crap, since when you are about to die your brain goes full on all the chemicals that make you very happy and hallucinate, just like drugs do (endorfin, adrenalin etc), to give you a nice show while you die.

It lives on.

Let me put forth my answer with a quote from the Bible.

Ecclesiastes Chapter 9 Verse 5 (New World Translation);

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the rememberance of them has been forgotten"

So, yes, Human consciousness does indeed die with the body.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked