Analyzing the angry drunk

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's 12:30am, I've stumbled home from the pubs/clubs, it's a little early but hey I've got university tomorrow (it is was tuesday). Tonight I made the terrible realization...I am becoming an angry drunk.

I've always hated those guys who get drunk and try to start fights, I had my nose broken by no fault of my own when I was 17 by a guy like that in a fight. But I worry I may become one of these people.

You see I am usually quite a pleasant drinker at home, a houseparty, function or pub. But nightclubs, they infuriate me, it may be because I've become more complacent/cynical about meeting girls there (I'd rather meet them in a bookstore, work or an old fashioned pub), maybe it's the appallingly loud music, but mainly it's the sort of guys who congregate there.

Example, tonight there was this unbelievably hot chick in a gold corset and this really annoying guy in a vest with a "popped" collar and spiked hair. A year ago the one thought on my mind would be trying (and probably failing) to pick up the girl. However tonight I couldn't shake the thought of how good it would feel to beat the livin' shit out of this douche-bag. The one rational part remaining in my brain (the same part that made me scull a litre of water) told how stupid that would be.

So my rather rambling and drunken (you know how hard it is to proof read after 2-3 litres of beer?) question is have you ever felt really angry while drinking? How have you resolved it? Have you ever (perhaps unfortunately) acted on it?

I never drink.

I like being in control of my actions and aware of my surroundings.

[*sarcasm*]Prohibition needs to return![*/*sarcasm*]

I know this isn't going to tell you much, but no. I've yet to even reach the legal age, and I have been drunk, but only a few times. I've never been angry though, and I've never really turned into a 'drunk'.

This is why I don't drink, I turn into a bastard, a horrible cynical bastard. It just makes me very angry, and I've started fights without even realising it.

I'll stick with the calming powers of Marijuana thank you.

In the words of Bill Hicks

"I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument."

i have never felt angry when drunk only because i drink at house parties where im surrounded with people who put me in a good mood.. thats the answer.. plus you already stated your solution .. nightclubs, my adviceis to just stay away

Furburt:

I'll stick with the calming powers of Marijuana thank you.

Amen

Nope. Only thing drinking seems to do to me is make me a bit happier and a bit more talkative. On the proof reading note, my texts while drunk always manage to remain flawlessly spelled and free of grammatical errors. I do have to concentrate a bit more when writing them, but I've never misspelled anything. It's odd, especially since I detest using text speak and insist on writing all my texts in proper English.

Fox1789:
plus you already stated your solution .. nightclubs, my adviceis to just stay away

Oh yeah I have definitely been trying this is the first nightclub I've been to in months.

I just don't get the appeal honestly. Now a good pub with a happy (and preferably fat) publican, good friends, nice girls, a local band and a chicken parmigiana for dinner that's heaven. But a sweaty, crowded, loud and randomly flashing deathtrap full of slappers and douche-bags doesn't appeal to me.

But the weird thing is that some perfectly rational (most of the time) friends my own age seem to love them.

Sure you get your angry drunks and your silly drunks. But depending on what circumstances the drinker is in at the time of inebriation is what I think affects the what kind of drunk they will be.

If all is well in your life and you are having a good time and you're in the company of upbeat friends and generally feeling safe - the chances are you'll be a silly drunk.

If all isn't well in your life, you don't like your environs, you're alone or scared - the chances are you will become the angry drunk.

While alcohol is classed as a depressant, I personally prefer to think of it as an intensifier. The reason you got angry is this...

1.) You were in a nightclub. (And out of your comfort zone - this immediately puts your back up.)

2.) The music was not to your liking, it was too loud and probably giving you a slight headache.

3.) You were envious of this guy's girlfriend. (Though I think I'd be too from what you described.)

Next time you go drinking - do it in a quiet and comfortable place and try not to drink too much.

Gunner 51:
3.) You were envious of this guy's girlfriend. (Though I think I'd be too from what you described.

Sorry I didn't make it clear, those two had no connection (weren't even near each other) just one was the pinnacle of attractiveness (and alone) in the club and the other was a loud and clumsy popinjay. The reason I mentioned the two together was that I was amazed that I'd rather have a chance of fighting that guy, than picking that girl up.

But yeah I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

Just don't go to night clubs. I fail to see the attraction of going to a crowded place, selling over priced drinks to loud and obnoxious dancers while playing music I dislike. I drink at home or sometimes in a traditional pub and I don't drink more than about 3 pints at any one time.

BrynThomas:

Fox1789:
plus you already stated your solution .. nightclubs, my adviceis to just stay away

Oh yeah I have definitely been trying this is the first nightclub I've been to in months.

I just don't get the appeal honestly. Now a good pub with a happy (and preferably fat) publican, good friends, nice girls, a local band and a chicken parmigiana for dinner that's heaven. But a sweaty, crowded, loud and randomly flashing deathtrap full of slappers and douche-bags doesn't appeal to me.

But the weird thing is that some perfectly rational (most of the time) friends my own age seem to love them.

well that can be true but if that is the spot where your violent then it is best for you to not go at all, also what type of girl would you meet at one of those places? Certaintly not one you would introduce to your family.

Onyx Oblivion:

Prohibition needs to return!

Because it worked so well the first time.

I would like to add that loud music (noise in general) has been proven to cause aggression and increase stress (which can lead to a short fuse, then aggression), so as you said this could lead to your angry drunken behaviour (supported by yourself saving you're fine at home or at a pub).

Having said that, nothing makes my blood boil like popped collars.

I don't get angry when I drink, however if something would normally make me angry, I would pretty much lose my shit if I was drinking. I think this is me being more emotional when I drink, rather than drinking making me angry.

An example, I was at a gathering with my friends and my ex was there. She said that her current boyfriend dumped her today and she broke down, seeing how distraught she was after only two weeks, when she was fine after dumped me after two years made me rage more than I have raged before. I left the main group and wailed on my friends punching bag on my own for about an hour. After that I was far too tired to be angry.

Fox1789:
well that can be true but if that is the spot where your violent then it is best for you to not go at all, also what type of girl would you meet at one of those places? Certaintly not one you would introduce to your family.

Well this has really been only a one-off event so far, I was just worried because I felt such a strong desire (I didn't act on it). The thing is my university group is small about 25 people, so when someone has a party we're all out, also I don't enter these abodes sober, I usually down several comfortable beers at the accommodation and then end up there.

BrynThomas:

Gunner 51:
3.) You were envious of this guy's girlfriend. (Though I think I'd be too from what you described.

Sorry I didn't make it clear, those two had no connection (weren't even near each other) just one was the pinnacle of attractiveness (and alone) in the club and the other was a loud and clumsy popinjay. The reason I mentioned the two together was that I was amazed that I'd rather have a chance of fighting that guy, than picking that girl up.

But yeah I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

Oh OK. Fair dinkums. :)

Never been a violent drunk mainly because i know i'd get my ass kicked and i'm generally averse to injuries.

In the past i did used to be a maudlin drunk but that was in my younger days when i allowed stuff to get me down now i'm older i realise most stuff just really isn't worth fucking worrying about.

Well I have uni in less than eight hours, so I'll bid you all a good night.

Theres a reason they call Alcohol Truth Serum. If you are an angry drunk, you are an angry person in general (I am and I have come to accept that). When you are sober, you just tend to hide it better for whatever reason. Alcohol makes it so you do not care about the consequences.

I don't get brain drunk. My eyes go all wobbly and it seems like the world is tilting back and forth, but my brain remains not-so-blissfully clear.
So, I have never been conventionally drunk.

I do, however, know that a sufficiently drunk person has severely lowered inhibitions.
So, a thought that you would normally dismiss before it even came to fruition might manage to make its way into your consciousness.

Irate drunks are more often than not angry before they even start drinking, regardles of whether or not they show it outwardly. So if you have a friend who is totally mellow most of the time, but suddenly turns into a brawling, cursing whirlwind of fury as soon as he ingests enough alcohol, I'd suggest you have a talk with him.
Or not. That would involve feelings and shit, after all.
It could get kind of awkward.

But yeah. If you turn into an asshole as soon as you get drunk, you were probably an asshole anyway.
Just, you know. Privately.

I don't get angry personally, however my friends do, so if something starts I still have to get my angry face on and scrap with whatever group they started on.
Still quite rare they start something though, it's quite easy to attract violent attention to yourself where I live but it's really not as bad as other places.

When I drink all I mostly want to do is dance around shouting joy in my friends faces, if we get a good song to do that to my night will be a good one. Happily, I'm not an angry drunk.

Monkfish Acc.:
So if you have a friend who is totally mellow most of the time, but suddenly turns into a brawling, cursing whirlwind of fury as soon as he ingests enough alcohol, I'd suggest you have a talk with him.
Or not. That would involve feelings and shit, after all.
It could get kind of awkward.

I'll say...

But sometimes those talks need to happen no matter how unpleasant they are. I've had that talk with my friends, they in turn have had it with me. No one's a saint when it comes to drinking. Sure for the most part we can all get through the night and have a larf but every once in a while (and it happens to most people) it'll be like someone's flipped a switch in your head and the only thing on your mind is 'destroy' or 'noise up that person over there' for no apparent reason.

Oh yes and to anyone who makes it this far into the post. Stay the fuck away from whisky. That's just asking for trouble.

BrynThomas:
It's 12:30am, I've stumbled home from the pubs/clubs, it's a little early but hey I've got university tomorrow (it is was tuesday). Tonight I made the terrible realization...I am becoming an angry drunk.

I've always hated those guys who get drunk and try to start fights, I had my nose broken by no fault of my own when I was 17 by a guy like that in a fight. But I worry I may become one of these people.

You see I am usually quite a pleasant drinker at home, a houseparty, function or pub. But nightclubs, they infuriate me, it may be because I've become more complacent/cynical about meeting girls there (I'd rather meet them in a bookstore, work or an old fashioned pub), maybe it's the appallingly loud music, but mainly it's the sort of guys who congregate there.

Example, tonight there was this unbelievably hot chick in a gold corset and this really annoying guy in a vest with a "popped" collar and spiked hair. A year ago the one thought on my mind would be trying (and probably failing) to pick up the girl. However tonight I couldn't shake the thought of how good it would feel to beat the livin' shit out of this douche-bag. The one rational part remaining in my brain (the same part that made me scull a litre of water) told how stupid that would be.

So my rather rambling and drunken (you know how hard it is to proof read after 2-3 litres of beer?) question is have you ever felt really angry while drinking? How have you resolved it? Have you ever (perhaps unfortunately) acted on it?

I'm in a similar situation to you, i'm a university student and my friends go clubbing as well. Altough i would have never ever even considerd trying to pick up a girl whom i have met at a night club.... i don't think i need to explain why. Also, for me night clubs usually get me bored rather than angry. The music's all the same and all your doing is dancing to crap music, you carnt talk to anyone- i only go along to be social.

The thing is though, you don't have to go clubbing if you don't want to, i myself oftentimes skip going to clubs with my university friends, but will happily go along when they decide to go to the pub or something. I say just cut down on the times you go clubbing, if you can think of an excuse, don't go, its not doing you any good.

Onyx Oblivion:
I never drink.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

The first time I have been ninja'd, it's a sad feeling.

The worst state I have been in was tipsy, as I was walking home I could feel myself getting angry and wanting to lash out at some innocent person, after that I swore off drinking and I haven't drunk in over 2 years.

I save my anger for things that matter like the copy protection schemes on PC games and lack of adequate car parking spaces.

Onyx Oblivion:
I never drink.

quoted for prudishness:

OT: i never drink... but i did ONCE, and it was only to make the foursome more... "amiable"

of course, it didn't work that well especially when one of the other 3 was a GUY... but... fuck it, it was kind of ok. Alcohol didn't make me angry but it sure made me dizzy.

Onyx Oblivion:
I never drink.

When I am drunk I'm perfectly in control of my actions

What you said made me sad :(

Jodah:
Theres a reason they call Alcohol Truth Serum. If you are an angry drunk, you are an angry person in general (I am and I have come to accept that). When you are sober, you just tend to hide it better for whatever reason. Alcohol makes it so you do not care about the consequences.

Exactly this.

Drink doesn't make you angry it just brings down the barriers holding that anger you have back.

Like others have said alcohol makes true feelings come otu but it also supresses the inihibitive part of our brain which would normally come in to help override strong emotions. If it was me at that club, I would have been annoyed too at the D bag at the bar. Why do they get all the drunk hot chicks?

Onyx Oblivion:

Are you mad?

OT: I'm rarely the angry drunk. I'm angry when I when someone ruins my fun. I try leave before I kick someone's ass.

I'm more of the over-social drunk or the really really really stupid drunk.

Random Argument Man:

Onyx Oblivion:

Are you mad?

OT: I'm rarely the angry drunk. I'm angry when I when someone ruins my fun.

That was called sarcasm.

Onyx Oblivion:

Random Argument Man:

Onyx Oblivion:

Are you mad?

OT: I'm rarely the angry drunk. I'm angry when I when someone ruins my fun.

That was called sarcasm.

Sarcasm with a written form is the easiest to figure out. "Wink".

Well, it's true what they say about your mood intensifying when you drink. I speak from experience. If you're hot under the collar with douchebag fueled rage before you pick up that bottle, stay away from it.

Onyx Oblivion:

Then don't drink to the point that you lose control. It's not that difficult.

Zac_Dai:

Jodah:

Exactly this.

Drink doesn't make you angry it just brings down the barriers holding that anger you have back.

Third'd. If you really were angry when drunk, there may be underlying issues. I've gotten drunk a good number of times, and have yet to get angry while doing so, since I'm not a very angry person in general.

i used to be a angry drunk you know how i fixed i stopped drinking

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked