My earphones always do this...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

kalakashi:
Your left one gets quieter? Mine just turns off on day, but yes, it is always the left. I'd like to know just why that is. I always also lose the soft bits that cover the earphone; does anyone know where to buy those things? And does anyone know if that was the correct place for a semi-colon? What about that hyphen?

Also, I can't help but notice how often I'm using my shift key now!!

You wouldn't use a semi-colon there. It's just a comma. The hyphen is right as far as I know.

Every pair of wired headphones I've ever had failed in one ear, usually sooner than is reasonable. That's why I started using wireless ones, no problems since :P

The big bulky sony ones!!!!! i have a pair, theyve lasted a good strong 12 years now. and i have no reason they will break within the next 15 years!

I rarely use earphones. Why? They always fall out.
I should get headphones.

I currently use the Sony MDR-W014 headphones. These things ARE AMAZING. The sound quality is great the reliability is out the roof. I've had these headsets for 5 years now, i got them in a trade from an old friend, and i dont know how long he had them. BUY THESE THINGS, they doo look a bit stupid im told but its completely worth it. Also they arent giant, and their really confortable.

Get them, they rock, and since their old they will prolly be pretty cheap on Sony.com or sommething.

Jharry5:
The best pair I've had are the ones that came with my iPod... I've been using them for perhaps going on three years or so, and still going strong...

This. They don't quite last three years for me. They all kick off eventually. So when I need to replace them I just buy a new semi-cheap pair. That'll last for a good while and then I'll need a new pair. Don't spend too much on headphones, they'll all go eventually. They're delicate little amps that suffer constant sound vibrations when in use. Their eventual failure should be obvious.

Worse is when your television starts to go. I need an upgrade anyways, but right now I just don't have the money.

Had something similar to these for 6 years:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-W08L-Vertical-In-The-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00005N6KG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Best sound I've gotten for such a low price.

I still buy the generic iPod earbuds. They work fine, and they're a decent balance between quality and cost. And when they inevitably break, they're easy enough to replace. I would wear one of my bigger pairs, but it mostly comes down to I like being able to have one ear free to listen to others around me so I can listen to music when working.

But if that's not an interest for you, then shell out a bit extra and get a more expensive pair. They're expensive, yes, but unless you buy a shitty brand (stick to the big ones like Sennheiser and Sony) you'll get good life out of them.

Look at it this way:
Sony knows professional cameras, home theater set-ups, etc. and is one of the major players in film and television.
Sennheiser knows audio cables, microphones, headphones, and is the most used in the television industry (at least in Canada).
Skull Candy can be bought at the checkout impulse rack at Safeway.

If you have some money to spend you pretty much can't go wrong with Sennheisers. Just look after them well. I've heard some very good things about Audio Technica as well, but I've never owned nor worn a pair so I can't give them my personal approval.

effilctar:
After asking a few friends, they all said that their earphones, as well as mine, always break after a couple of months, usually by the left earphone getting quieter until it just breaks.

My question is: are proper headphones more reliable and should I spend a bit more money buying a reliable pair of headphones? I don't care about looking a fool with giant headphones on if it means I can stick my nose up when the people guffawing have their earphones break. Also, could you recommend a particular set of headphones, bearing in mind that I'm in Britain. Skullcandy seams to be the hot thing right now.

get sennheiser.

i have yet to hear better quality and they don't do breaking.

because of where i live, it gets really cold in the winter and really humid during the summer so headphones during the summer get really sweaty and really gross. but sony has really good headphones. my earbuds for the summer are RUBBER DUCKIES!! but surprisingly they are really good for seven dollars at chapters.

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Ear-Buds-Duck/dp/B001GPBVE2

I've always found quality headphones to be tied to known names, not necessarily "big" names. Also, you generally get what you pay for (within limits of course). A $200 set probably won't be that much worse than a $400 set, but both will almost definitely be better than a $10 dollar set.

All that said, if you're not careful with your headphones you really should just go cheap since you're going to have to replace them often anyway. I personally wouldn't spend more than maybe $30 on a pair that I wasn't going to just leave at home and use there.

Mine always get crackely after about a month every time. Don't know why.

The worst a pair of headphones ever broke for me, was when they would begin sending electrical shocks into my ear.

Those bad boys got faded out pretty quick.

effilctar:
After asking a few friends, they all said that their earphones, as well as mine, always break after a couple of months, usually by the left earphone getting quieter until it just breaks.

My question is: are proper headphones more reliable and should I spend a bit more money buying a reliable pair of headphones? I don't care about looking a fool with giant headphones on if it means I can stick my nose up when the people guffawing have their earphones break. Also, could you recommend a particular set of headphones, bearing in mind that I'm in Britain. Skullcandy seams to be the hot thing right now.

You have an iPod or mp3 player of sorts? Do you wrap your earphones around it? If so, that's your problem. If not, I don't know. I found out about half a year ago that it break earphones so I stopped and I've never had a problem.

Meh. Any headphones I've EVER had have always broken in the left ear. I don't know... Maybe I should try and get some really decent ones.

Dahni:
my skullcandy headphones broke quicker than any of my in-ear headphones.

there's JVC ones in HMV that are 17 and ive been using them for a good two years and they work fine.

If you're talking about the Marshmallow ones, I wholeheartedly agree.

They're cheaper in Currys Digital however. Really thick, beefy wire for in-ear things

I always have that problem with the left earphone, dont buy skullcandys, they break way to easily, just get a decent pair, i bought a pair of sony ones for about 15 and they've lasted me for about a year so far

Gaderael:
Go look for for an old pair of Sony headphones. The big bulky kind. Seriously. Mine are Thirty-one years old and they still beat the snot out of any other pair I've ever listened to.

They're the ones on the right:

I agree on this one. All my headphones have pretty much had the "one side eventually cutting out, wires need to be in the right position" problem except this one big bulky Sony pair I use when I'm recording music - those things just keep on going like they have been for the past decade plus. Plus they're pretty darn comfortable, too.

I recommend Sennheisers, they haven't failed me yet (and mine were made in Ireland!). I would strongly advise you steer clear of Skullcandy, because they suck large amounts of anus.

I get my earphones, headphones, and all other audio equipment from the Dollar Store or other cheap alternative. They break all the time but they're still more cost-effective than expensive pairs.

The wires just break on mine. I tne dot go aroudn for a few days with only one earphone when I gt hacked off with the wires connecting and disconnecting and getting bursts of music in one ear. I really wish headphones had a MONO switch.

Jory:

Dahni:

there's JVC ones in HMV that are 17 and ive been using them for a good two years and they work fine.

They're cheaper in Currys Digital however. Really thick, beefy wire for in-ear things

yes! that's them!
JVC marshmallows.
they're amazing :)

I got a 20 quid pair of sony headphones that have done me a year and a half so far. It's actually the plastic holding it together that goes before the actual sound, and that can be fixed with super glue. Lots of superglue.

Dahni:

Jory:

Dahni:

yes! that's them!
JVC marshmallows.
they're amazing :)

Haha, I've pretty much gone through every colour they sell over the last few years. My iPod used to take a bashing through college.

My iPod earphones lasted a surprising 4 years before the right earphone eventually just broke one night. So I went and bought a cheap $20 pair of Sony earphones and found that the sound quality is better than the iPod earphones in my opinion. That could just be the iPod earphones slowly wearing down over the years though.

I've always bought either Denon or Sennheiser headphones and none of them broke before at least 3 years.They're a little more expensive than most but i prefer that (and having a kickass sound) to a 20$ pair i have to change every 6 months (which sounds like crap anyways...)

Depends on the brand

I have these tasty Senheisers HD 595s since November 2008, they were 115 though

Also to thunderhorse, Ipod headphones are bloody awful quality

I haven't had this problem. My current headphones (Sennheiser) work fine after 2 years of use. I had to buy new ones only because my old ones (Sennheisers too, if I remember correctly) pretty much disintegrated after I dropped them on the floor. Even after that I used them for couple of months. Yay for duct tape!

Supreme Unleaded:
BUY THESE THINGS, they doo look a bit stupid im told but its completely worth it.

Heh, I read that as "they doo look a bit stupid im told but i'm completely worth it" for some reason.

I find some of the branded ones last longer, but currently I'm using the ones that came free with my phone and they are working beautifully and have lasted me a good 4 months thus far.

I've actually experienced the same problem and I found after my second pair, that if you wrap the head phone cords around the MP3 player, you are stretching the wires that are in the base of the plug of the headphones.

If you keep wrapping them up as such, then its always the left one that goes out first for some reason since the wire is stretched and warped and comes loose from the base of the plug. There is always the chance of buying headphones with a sturdy base (JVC headphones are great for this) but the way you put away your headphones matters on how long they last and if they go out quicker.

I always just get the little earbud things because they're easier to move around.

See, most of the wear and tear my headphones endure is not from taking them on and off, but rather from wrapping them around my iPod and putting the pair in a small space somewhere deep in a purse or totebag. I know that getting one of those $500 Bose monsters (that come with a carrying case the size of a Doberman) will last longer, however that also means I have a Doberman-sized carrying case to lug around everywhere I go.

And yes, I do know there are $200 in-ear headphones as well, however considering how much daily abuse I will put them through I don't exactly want to gamble that much money.

Besides, if I had $200 to just throw away at something I'd put it in my PS3 fund before I buy some freaking headphones.

Id recomend Sennheiser, Ive had this pair of headphones for about 2 months after i got my ipod and i still have them.

The Ipod ones died within a month, and i bought 2 cheap pairs which lasted for a short while.

I some JVC marshmallow ones, they have lasted me 4+ years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HA-FX33BE-Marshmallow-Earphones-Electronics/dp/B000N3ZHDO

You could also do what used to do when I had your problem, buy the exact same ear phones, then clean up your old ones, package them back up and return your old ones saying there the new ones and they don't work properly.

Although I don't advocate this, the way I thought of it was, it was there fault for making a substandard product.

They are better as far as sound quality goes, but not necessarily durability. I recommend getting a good pair of SkullCandy's, they have some decently priced On-Ear headphones.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked