Hats In School

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Do you think hats should be allowed in school? Do you think that forcing people of a certain religion or disability to jump through hoops to be able to wear a head covering is wrong?

My school has recently adopted a "no-hats" policy, because a couple of kids were vandalizing the bathrooms. The closed down all but two bathrooms and put in security cameras. The reason they give for not being allowed to wear a hat is because it may block the face of somebody who is vandalizing the bathrooms. The Kain Mutiny, anybody?

I was actually tempted to buy hats that read that on the top and pass them out at my school but I was too lazy.

Meh, it's a hat. As a non-hat-wearer myself, I could not really impose an opinion, but I guess if I had to compare a hat to my daily hoodie, I suppose I would be pretty ticked off.

"O, blue hoodie, I welcome your warm embrace, the seething calmness of your fuzzy interior, the off-balance strings I spend hours upon hours trying to get back into a symmetrical shape....O blue hoodie..." -Chapter 5, How Much I Love Hoodies

The book is almost out if you want to pre-order.

I'm sure you could get a religious or disabled person exemption easily if you had to.

Other than that it's a bit of a silly rule. Where I live it's damn hot in summer and hats would be encouraged to stop sunburn and skin cancer. I think your school is weird. Also plenty of other ways to cover up faces besides a hat...

What sort of disability would require some one to wear a hat?
As for religion, fuck them. You in my country you follow the same rules I do. If I am not allowed a hat, then neither are you.
You want to be able to wear a hat at all times regardless of the rules, go to another country.

Anyway, I personally would be more annoyed at them putting cameras in bathrooms... thats just creepy.

Umberphoenix:
Do you think hats should be allowed in school? Do you think that forcing people of a certain religion or disability to jump through hoops to be able to wear a head covering is wrong?

My school has recently adopted a "no-hats" policy, because a couple of kids were vandalizing the bathrooms. The closed down all but two bathrooms and put in security cameras. The reason they give for not being allowed to wear a hat is because it may block the face of somebody who is vandalizing the bathrooms. The Kain Mutiny, anybody?

I was actually tempted to buy hats that read that on the top and pass them out at my school but I was too lazy.

I think if you don't wear your hat for however long you're in school for, won't kill you. I mean is it really a big deal that you can't wear a hat in school? By the way, I wear a hat every day so it's not like I hate hats.

It's a bit silly to impose so many rules, regulations and restrictions over something as silly as headwear. What's next A banning of shoes?

I'm not a big hat fan, but I don't like the rule against them.

Teachers hate it when you protect your head from their fun sucking rays emmited by their Boredom Generators located in the boiler room (wonder why they never let students in there).

Douk:
Teachers hate it when you protect your head from their fun sucking rays emmited by their Boredom Generators located in the boiler room (wonder why they never let students in there).

Pfft boiler room at my old school was just a teacher smoke fest.

They've just introduced a new rule stating we have to wear them in PE, sport & healthy lifestyles classes during terms one & four.
I FUCKING HATE HATS.
I FUCKING LOVE PE & HEALTHY LIFESTYLES FOR BOYS.

Khitten:
As for religion, fuck them. You in my country you follow the same rules I do. If I am not allowed a hat, then neither are you.
You want to be able to wear a hat at all times regardless of the rules, go to another country.

Anyway, I personally would be more annoyed at them putting cameras in bathrooms... thats just creepy.

Wow someone needs to calm down. The rules about hats are very ridiculous. They were banned in my high school because people would wear them in class. I guess I didn't realize wearing a hat in school effected your academic performance.

I don't really care. My school hasn't had any stupid rules about hats. Lot's of other stuff though, but not hats.

I don't understand why hats aren't allowed. At least at my school that rule is never enforced.

Personally, I think it should be like skirts: if they're inappropriate, the students should take them off.

Edit:
... Wait, that would only apply to hats.
*fail*

Perhaps I just don't get it, but why would they ban wearing hats because someone defaced a bathroom?
Sadly, being an adult, I can guess why they banned hats. The obvious answer is to discourage some sort of gang... schools like to ban things that make kids stand out. When I was in school in the 90s, we weren't allowed to wear hats, except on hat day (stupid school holidays). They want to discourage individualism, not anything actually related to hats. When I was in junior high, Kriss Kross was popular and the school banned kids from wearing their pants backwards because they thought it was a gang thing... same as being able to sag your pants. Sagging I'm glad they discouraged because I don't need to see the skid-marks in your underwear. The problem here lies in that the school neglects to explain their reasoning for doing anything to the students. Banning any type of clothing isn't going to stop kids from screwing around in the bathrooms. It's just something kids do, so short of placing cameras or some sort of bathroom attendant, they are pretty much SOL. Just take it in stride, at least you get to wear a hat when you aren't at school.

Umberphoenix:

My school has recently adopted a "no-hats" policy, because a couple of kids were vandalizing the bathrooms. The closed down all but two bathrooms and put in security cameras. The reason they give for not being allowed to wear a hat is because it may block the face of somebody who is vandalizing the bathrooms.

Just go behind a tree. 2 can play this game. They don't like it? well the problem is solved if they open the other bathrooms. Also if you are wearing a hat when you walk in you are breaking the rules... but if your hat disguises you, can you really be held accountable?

Pararaptor:
They've just introduced a new rule stating we have to wear them in PE, sport & healthy lifestyles classes during terms one & four.
I FUCKING HATE HATS.
I FUCKING LOVE PE & HEALTHY LIFESTYLES FOR BOYS.

Congratz on 10,000 posts. *Cracks open the champagne*

I despise hats, they look so awful on me and never have kept me warm.

Rules about what you wear is the norm in schools, get over it.

So they don't want you wearing hats because it could hide the faces of those who vandalize the bathrooms?
Just wear a Balaclava and vandalize the bathroom, they would seem like idiots to put a sign in the school stating "No Balaclavas"

I like my hat, it's an English Driving Cap. They should be able to wear hats if they please.

We weren't allowed to wear hats in high school, but moslims were.

We also weren't allowed to wear any type of clothing depicting the national flag, because the moslims might take offense.

I'm glad the no hats rule has been put into effect for everyone and not just non-moslims.

I havn't cut my hair in years so I wear a hat about half the time as a nesseccity to keep it out of my face (the other half I tie it back, if you were wondering). But what're you going to do if the rules say you can't wear a hat so people can see your face? I mean, you have to follow them after all.

Of course, following rules is fun if you think about it. My school once banned headphones claiming them to be a distraction (not the music players themselves, just the headphones mind), and since I was in my final couple of weeks there I bought myself a nice loud pair of speakers and hooked my ipod up to them instead. Serves them right for not thinking through the utterly stupid rules they made up.

Also, balaclavas are not hats. I'm just saying.

You think that's bad, in my school we weren't allowed wear a coat. In winter. God damn uniforms... Someone got in trouble for wearing their coat in after school study too one time, and it was fucking freezing. Bananas...

Umberphoenix:

Wait since it's a school, wouldn't they know who it is based upon their clothes and which students had left for the bathroom during that time (I'm pretty sure most schools use a bathroom pass, so adding the time wouldn't be too hard)

I like hats, but I wear them when I want to, regardless of the rules (screw 'em, I'm rich)

My friend, Blue22, wears them daily, and only takes them off when he spots a teacher that actually enforces the rule, which is rarely

I have a magnificent cowboy hat. I always were it at school, except when I'm in class or eating. But that's my choice.

If it's religious, it's usually fine where I am. But if they're wearing a hat for the sake of it, it's a big no-no.

No. Should not be allowed.

Honestly, schools would be better off wearing uniforms.

Umberphoenix:

No.
Yes.

Back in the day when lawsuits weren't the popular thing to have, my Trig teacher would all but slap a hat off of a kid who wore one in his class. Personally, unless it's in a job setting, I don't think hats need to be worn inside, there is no reason for it.

Religious observation, on the other hand, is the exception.

Man, way back in the day when I went to school there were just no hats allowed in the building period. Kids couldn't even walk around with some of these gay mohawk-y hairstyles and all of that. We had no choice back then.

Man, you guys have some really totalitarian schools.. We never had dresscodes, surveillance cameras, metal detectors, bouncers.. Most of the elder teacher wanted people to take their hats off in class though.

Khitten:

Hold on - what has nationality got to do with religion?

If you converted to a religion and part of that religion was to wear something on your head (something akin to a turban, perhaps) then its your belief that you need to wear it.

Congratulations on forming an illogical and ignorant argument though.

EDIT: Just noticed you're not a guy, exchange turban for headscarf.

An Obscure Reference:
Meh, it's a hat. As a non-hat-wearer myself, I could not really impose an opinion, but I guess if I had to compare a hat to my daily hoodie, I suppose I would be pretty ticked off.

"O, blue hoodie, I welcome your warm embrace, the seething calmness of your fuzzy interior, the off-balance strings I spend hours upon hours trying to get back into a symmetrical shape....O blue hoodie..." -Chapter 5, How Much I Love Hoodies

The book is almost out if you want to pre-order.

They banned hoodie's at the school I attended...I thought they were joking at first...suddenly I was exposed to the elements(constant rain).

At my school they have always banned hats, hoods or anything where they can't clearly see you face, some teachers don't even let girls wear headbands or let students hair cover their faces. However my school is run by retards and everyone knows that. Also be thankful you school left a bathroom open, when my school had a smoking problem in the bathrooms we would have to call a janitor to unlock it and have him wait outside til you were done.

Should they be banned?Yes inside the building anyway.Never understood why people would wear a hat(or sunglasses ffs)indoors.Religion shouldn't be an excuse either.The only exceptions should be if it's some sort of medical condition where the person has no choice

Ps.The 3 schools I went to all had uniforms(like the majority of scools in Ireland)so there may be a hint of bitterness in my post

Hahaha.....

I always wore my hat to school, as well as my coat. A rule was recently made banning such, because they couldn't get me in trouble for doing such.

OT: While I disagree with such silly rules (really, if they don't want you to know who they are, they will wear a mask!) I can understand their view...However, I have a very simple policy in school. If you are not disturbing the class with what you are wearing, nor are you causing a terrible public offense to a particular group, the student should be allowed to have it.

Since when did the fashion of students become so much a concern for the administration that time is taken to make rules on that problem, rather than making sure students are learning something?

oh boy oh boy... this isnt new to me we have had this policy for years and i dont mind it at all. and we have security cameras in quite a few spots. No my schools isnt very violent its just uptight; ever since the school had a kid set off a small little bomb in the cafeteria, no one was killed, the bomb wasnt really much of a bomb. and it happened like 10 or so years ago.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked