What Yahtzee will hate in: Mass Effect 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Onyx Oblivion:
He's gonna hate Dante's Inferno, Final Fantasy 13.

He's gonna LIKE Bad Company 2.

Pretty much this.

Disapointed bout the lack of nudity. And the lack of girl on girl action, oh well back to the internet (Im only mentioning this because you have to go through hours of boring conversation to see if anything happens)

You know him. He'll rant about the scanning for five minutes, then say something like "Banging aliens is weird" and ignore the good bits.

Job done, small children laughing, die hard ME fans pissed off, and everyone else left thoroughly unamused.

1: The fact that this is a sequel, which in and of itself is a bad thing

2: The fact that this is more similar to Gears of Chest-high Walls than Mass Effect 1

3: Scanning, if he even bothers with it, considering he pretty much ignored half of ME1, and scanning is not needed until the endgame, where your spaceship gets blown up because it sucked due to insufficient grind-a-licious micromanagement of ship upgrades.

4: That the game is so obviously now a PART of a bigger story, where you are required to have completed and KEPT your ME1 saves in order to get any semblance of coherence, and get a sense of continuation. In the default "New game" set-up, ME1 Shepard seemed to demonstrate an utter inability to make decisions, ignored 80% of the world, made no real friends (or enemies), and pretty much had a 0 rating in both Paragon and Renegade.

5: The lack of ME1's depth, and a real antagonist. Seriously, the lack of a proper personality in the villain (Harbinger is definitely no Sovereign) and the sheer number of times you wail on his directly controlled puppets made me feel more like I was playing the part of an intergalactic bug-exterminator rather than saving humanity.

6: Streamlining through the use of a steamroller. No longer able to customize characters beyond the 2-3 guns, and each party member except Shepard is limited to 3 active and one passive powers. Gone is the need to keep a diverse crew beyond padding your own powers (bring someone to take down shields if you are biotic, or someone to take down barriers if you are a techie). Just grab the guys with the best meat-shield potential and go.

7: Combat being more predictable than the sunrise.

He might give the whole moral choice thing a little bit of credit, since paragon and renegade aren't as utterly cartoon-like as they tend to be.

Doug:
because he's Yahtzee, he's not willing/allowed/won't mention what he likes

Oh wow, man. Nobody's ever seen that pseudojoke before :V

What's the premise behind Mass Effect 2, anyway? Isn't it a first-person shooter? What's not to hate?

He hates everything and everyone--just to varying degrees. That being said, I think he'll be kinder to it than, say, Darksiders.

One of two things will happen.

He'll make fun of the game and people will misconstrue it as 'Yahtzee hates everything' or he'll point out some good stuff and people will rag on him for not being his hateful self.

No wonder he hates his fantards.

he is a critic, this comes from the word criticize... HE IS SUPPOSED TO SAY BAD STUFF!

Adrimor:

Doug:

What's the premise behind Mass Effect 2, anyway? Isn't it a first-person shooter? What's not to hate?

Joke how so? How many people bitch and whine whenever he dares to say that he might, possibly, if the sun, moon, and planets where all lined up in the month of June like a game?

And Mass Effect 2 is an RPG/TPS (Third-PS, not FPS) hybrid. Like Mass Effect 1, minus most of the crap bits.

I would wadger he will hate:

The fact though you can have supposedly "shades of grey" it is ultimately paragon or renegade and if talk nicely to someone and then just shoot them in the face you come across as a complete maniac, yet still will get some paragon points. *spoiler* for the interrogation scene, I accidentally told Thane to do his best Jack Bauer impression, then tried to correct it by playing the paragon option, then when it was clear this wouldnt work I triggered the renegade QTE and shoved a gun at his head. Confusing!

Which brings me to my second point - QTEs, you really have to be on the ball for these ones, particularly the paragon, too slow and boom he gets blown away (you know what I mean)

You also stand ramrod stiff, even though some other characters have become more lucy-goosy

That in saving the galaxy, no matter how diabolocially ugly you make shepard you can still sucessfully "bone silly" (Yahtzee, Zero Punctuation, "Bayonetta") one of the female characters.

Finally the mechanical nature of the "being prepared" concept. Basically you have to deal with each characters' sob story, or they will be too loaded down with baggage to shoot straight in the final sequence.

I have more but I can see you are glazing over :P

Despite this, I love Mass Effect, it is one of my favourite franchises and I will be preordering Mass Effect 3 as soon as I can, is there a greater compliment?

Why do people write in before the lock and such. Just answer and be on your way lol.

Combat system and the Relationships of the characters probably.

He's going to rip it to shreds for being a consolized shadow of it's former self.

-There are no more open environments. The game now feels like a series of half-life maps.
-The story is short (build a team. get a piece to go through a portal. go through portal and beat end boss. the end.) I need more twists and turns.
-There aren't nearly as many sidequests
-You spend all the combat sequences behind or frantically looking for, waist high walls. Gears of war syndrome.

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
He's obviously not going to like the scanning mini-game, but I think he will also take the piss out of Jack...

Yeah. Jack made me want to take a break and go get into the Riddick world because it was far more interesting.

asgardmothership:

Despite this, I love Mass Effect, it is one of my favourite franchises and I will be preordering Mass Effect 3 as soon as I can, is there a greater compliment?

Hmm... Giving sexual services to the design team, maybe. But I'm not willing to go that far myself.

Hehe, anywho, I agree, despite its problems, Mass Effect is a 9/10 classic and I'll pre-order as soon as I can too! I've played this for longer than I did DA:O (though I'll be going back to that soon in prep for the DA:O awakening expansion)

He will more than likely carry over his complaints from the first game in that it is overloaded with lengthy cutscenes and dialouge. Of course the scanning will more than likely be a gripe as well as he might have a word or two about the romanceable cast.

Is there any game Yahtzee likes? Aside from Portal, of course...

Nah, I know there are games Yahtzee likes, but he'll find something to nag about (lots of stuff to nag about, actually) in any game. Aside from Portal of course...

derelix:

Julianking93:
Yahtzee hates basically everything, so this is a pretty safe bet.

He's an entertainer, he doesn't hate everything he just makes fun of it. I suppose you think jerry seinfield must be a nihilist since he "hates" so many things.

Jerry Seinfeld barley makes fun of anything.

And Yahtzee hates a lot of stuff.

well he wont like it, final fantasy 13, or bioshock 2.

Doug:

Adrimor:

Doug:

Joke how so? How many people bitch and whine whenever he dares to say that he might, possibly, if the sun, moon, and planets where all lined up in the month of June like a game?

Touché. Though I can't imagine there are all that many, given how he has to lampshade it with "I know it's not very funny to like" a game on those rare occasions where he does.

And Mass Effect 2 is an RPG/TPS (Third-PS, not FPS) hybrid. Like Mass Effect 1, minus most of the crap bits.

I've never played Mass Effect 1. Does it use over-the-shoulder aiming like RE4 and Dark Sector?

Who cares? His opinion means very little to me, simply because he's often unreasonable. I know he claims it's his job to be a critic, but there's more to that than crucifying 9 out of 10 new games straight away, then slowly bleeding the other 1 of 10 until he feels the same hatred. (Point in case: GTA 4 review, claimed it wasn't bad at first then once the end of year awards video came out he all of a sudden changed his opinion claiming it to be the biggest pile of shit.)

Adrimor:

Doug:

Adrimor:

Doug:

Touché. Though I can't imagine there are all that many, given how he has to lampshade it with "I know it's not very funny to like" a game on those rare occasions where he does.

I've never played Mass Effect 1. Does it use over-the-shoulder aiming like RE4 and Dark Sector?

;)

And yeah, I think so. I've not played Dark Sector nor RE4 but you do aim over the shoulders. But its mixed in with RPG stuff. There's probably a good few YouTube gameplay examples, if you're interested.

Captain Pancake:
Who cares? His opinion means very little to me, simply because he's often unreasonable. I know he claims it's his job to be a critic, but there's more to that than crucifying 9 out of 10 new games straight away, then slowly bleeding the other 1 of 10 until he feels the same hatred. (Point in case: GTA 4 review, claimed it wasn't bad at first then once the end of year awards video came out he all of a sudden changed his opinion claiming it to be the biggest pile of shit.)

True. And I liked GTA IV - not sure why everyone felt the need to hate it with venom.

Mr.Tea:
They made it less RPG-y and more shooter-y, he should love it.

kinda ironic how in his early reviews (read BioShock), he criticized games for the lack of depth and being dumbed down for the console tards... now ironically, he became one of those people bitching about pc games that are too complex. *sigh*

Couldn't care less if he hates ME2, he disliked ME1 because of the story, it was stellar... so I don't really care.

I really don't see why people thinks its odd that Yahtzee is harsh with games. When you decide to judge something, don't take it for what it is. Be a little extreme, expect more. I could see how he hated the story in the first one. It wasn't ground shattering, it was more of a game of chase.

Anyway OT: I think that the hated thing will most likely be the story again. A resurrection? Really? That is pretty damn handy of them. Why don't they share the wealth?

He's going to make a comment about games needing to find their place and stay there.

As in Mass Effect was an RPG with shooting elements, now it's more shooter then RPG.

He'll probably like it, but the idea is that he nitpicks and only points out bad things.

Doug:

Mr.Tea:

Doug:
So...Yahtzee pretty much told us what he was going to review this week in his Borderlands review: Mass Effect 2. And because he's Yahtzee, he's not willing/allowed/won't mention what he likes, so lets take a guess at what he'll hate.

Who wants to take the first stab and see if their right this Wednesday?

Even if he does love it, he'll still have to talk about what he hates. Because people bitch at him if he ever dares to like, or dare I say, love a game.

Well, to be fair, I read your thread's title as:

"Q:What will Yahtzee hate?
A:Mass Effect 2"
rather than:
"Q:What will Yahtzee hate in Mass Effect 2?
A:Discuss!"

Onyx Oblivion:

just to speculate, he IS NOT gunna like BC2 b/cc he hates online multiplayer and TBH thats all bad company has going for it

Mr.Tea:

Doug:

Mr.Tea:

Doug:
So...Yahtzee pretty much told us what he was going to review this week in his Borderlands review: Mass Effect 2. And because he's Yahtzee, he's not willing/allowed/won't mention what he likes, so lets take a guess at what he'll hate.

Who wants to take the first stab and see if their right this Wednesday?

Even if he does love it, he'll still have to talk about what he hates. Because people bitch at him if he ever dares to like, or dare I say, love a game.

Well, to be fair, I read your thread's title as:

"Q:What will Yahtzee hate?
A:Mass Effect 2"
rather than:
"Q:What will Yahtzee hate in Mass Effect 2?
A:Discuss!"

True, true. I didn't realise that until now. I'll see if I can edit the thread title alittle.

TheSeventhLoneWolf:

Onyx Oblivion:

Gasp. Are you going to make him? I'm in. *Cocks internet shotgun.*

He dislikes all games really. And insults the people who make and play them. According to him I am a Twitchy, schizophrenic, foaming at the mouth gelatinious creature.

Tee hee hee, you said cocks....

OT: HE will probably say its ok but overhyped

RadioActiveChimp:

cuddly_tomato:
Hating Mass Effect 2?

Not a difficult target to be honest. It isn't the worst game ever, but it is pretty average from what I have experienced.

cuddly_tomato, you are a pitiful man whose soul has dried up. I'm not angry, but rather, I pity you.

How does one get angry because someone else doesn't particularly like a video game?

Have you bought shares in BioWare? If this is the case I could understand it. Or are you an employee of theirs? If neither of these... brand loyalty isn't healthy. Nuff said.

cuddly_tomato:

RadioActiveChimp:

cuddly_tomato:
Hating Mass Effect 2?

Not a difficult target to be honest. It isn't the worst game ever, but it is pretty average from what I have experienced.

cuddly_tomato, you are a pitiful man whose soul has dried up. I'm not angry, but rather, I pity you.

How does one get angry because someone else doesn't particularly like a video game?

On this forum, quite easily, apparently, heh.

Have you bought shares in BioWare? If this is the case I could understand it. Or are you an employee of theirs? If neither of these... brand loyalty isn't healthy. Nuff said.

Meh, you didn't like it. I think BioShock was overrated - no game has ever pleased everyone. However, just saying its because of 'Brand loyally' is insulting, frankly.

xDarc:
He's going to rip it to shreds for being a consolized shadow of it's former self.

-There are no more open environments. The game now feels like a series of half-life maps.
-The story is short (build a team. get a piece to go through a portal. go through portal and beat end boss. the end.) I need more twists and turns.
-There aren't nearly as many sidequests
-You spend all the combat sequences behind or frantically looking for, waist high walls. Gears of war syndrome.

1.The first one was like that too (I'm playing through it again) Also, HL was one of the few things he said he liked.
2. True, main story is short, but the characters (excluding Jack) make the game and their stories are more diverse than typical game stories.
3. I will admit this, but going back through the first one, 80% of the sidequests went like this:

- Get weird report/signal/tip
- Go to obscure planet with science station/colony/facility of some sort
- Find people to kill-
- Kill them, get tiny blurb that has to do with #1.
- Lament lack of interesting sidequests

Yes, there were a few that actually had significance, but those were few and far between and hard to pick out.
4. There are more chest high walls in this game, but that's not a negative in itself. It's hardly as bad as Gears, too. I found it to be about 50/50 normal cover and chest high walls.

Doug:

cuddly_tomato:

RadioActiveChimp:

cuddly_tomato:
Hating Mass Effect 2?

On this forum, quite easily, apparently, heh.

Forum shouldn't really have anything to do with it. Anger implies an emotional attachment, to a video game company in this case. Of all the things one might get emotionally attached to, video game companies are not high on the list of things which are ideal for this purpose.

Meh, you didn't like it. I think BioShock was overrated - no game has ever pleased everyone. However, just saying its because of 'Brand loyally' is insulting, frankly.

Had he said something along the lines of "I thought it was pretty good" I would agree. Saying "you are a pitiful man", over a video game, makes a response difficult without seeming a bit insulting, although that wasn't the intention.

How they took a TON of things out in comparrison to Mass Effect and yet it somehow takes up 2 disks?!

Also, equipment... why take away equipment?! Why not just keep equipment and ADD the fact that you can change the colour, material and pattern?! Those stupid pieces of equipment that you can tweak with dont make up for the huge amounts of actual equipment there was in the first one.

Didn't want to read ALL the comments, so not sure if this has already been posted. No crouching annoys the shit outta me, as well as doors that decide not to open until I get two inches away from them, causing me to stop walking and wait for the five second open animation. Also the fact that you can't cast another power while one is recharging. And, obviously, scanning, although I preferred that to the mako.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked