What is a person? What makes us Human?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Is it someone who has intelligence?
Then what about chimpanzees who are smart, and those humans who are mentally disabled?

Is it because we have community?
Same goes with chimps and tons of other animals

Is it because we have Human DNA?
Then what about aliens? Would they not be considered people? And I is being human just about genetics?

I have been wondering about this question for a very long time. I don't know, but what is your opinion? What makes us human? And what is a person?

It is because we are self aware and have empathy. As far as our knowledge goes not many animals know they are animals. I think some tests were done to see if an animal recognised itself in a mirror. As far as I can remember the chimpanzee acknowledged itself.

As for empathy no other animal (to our knowledge) can feel it or has the emotional intelligence to do so. I guess that intelligence is also a defining factor of being a human.

A soul and freewill. The ability to break away from natural instinct. To go beyond being simple.

Im fairly sure no other animal has the same capacity for emotions that we do.

It is because we are part of a species, and the common name for that species are "humans". That is all.

I'd say it's pretty much genetics and physical make-up.

Self-awareness? We have people in insane asylums because they lack it. They're still human.
Empathy? We have serial killers because they lack it. They're still human.
Soul? Doesn't exist. If it does, how do you know animals don't have one? If you're saying "soul" as consciousness, we're more self-conscious than most other animals at least.
Free will? I could argue that it doesn't exist or that it is limited from a determinist or a mixed view standpoint. And who's to say animals don't have free will?
Natural instinct? We still hold alot of that and disguise it. Though we do break away from it, animals can too occasionally.
To go beyond being simple. Simple is a subjective term, so that doesn't work.
Capacity for emotions? Maybe.

I'm going to say soul although how do you even define a soul. It's the one thing that most people will agree exists with no real evidence to back it up. Anyone else find that strange?

If you're talking simple physical humans then DNA I suppose. However on a different level I think it's our consciousness, complex emotions and things of that nature.

We classify ourselves as Humans.
The word "person" is used to refer to another human

I suppose it's our creative ability and the complexity of our social structure.

ReincarnatedFTP:
Empathy? We have serial killers because they lack it. They're still human.

Or are they?

We call ourselves human the same reason we call monkeys monkeys and tigers tigers.

Because we gave them that name, and we gave ourselves the name humans.

Alpha Centauri:
Then what about chimpanzees who are smart, and those humans who are mentally disabled?

Then what about aliens? Would they not be considered people? And I is being human just about genetics?

I have been wondering about this question for a very long time. I don't know, but what is your opinion? What makes us human? And what is a person?

Sentience is what defines a "being".

Sentience, to me, is the ability to have a greater understanding of the universe, a rational and creative mind, and the capabilities to go against instinct - indeed, to be able to control our instincts.

Honestly though, there's a bit more of a scientific answer to this question. The human brain has a section of it (unfortunately, I can't remember what, but I want to say it's the frontal lobe) that is more developed than any other animals brain. Because of this development, it allows us to base decisions off of things more complex than pure animal instincts. you may say, "well, animals don't seem to run COMPLETELY off of instincts!" And you'd be right. In fact, there are a few animals who have this same frontal lobe (including chimps). The difference is that none of them have it to the same extent as us.

What makes us human is the outter shell of your brain that's responsible for cognitive thought.

What is a person?

Food that can talk back.

Continuum:
It is because we are self aware and have empathy. As far as our knowledge goes not many animals know they are animals. I think some tests were done to see if an animal recognised itself in a mirror. As far as I can remember the chimpanzee acknowledged itself.

As for empathy no other animal (to our knowledge) can feel it or has the emotional intelligence to do so. I guess that intelligence is also a defining factor of being a human.

Yes they do. Chimps have empathy. They can reason how another chimp feels. The cold hard facts are that we are hardly any different from animals, contrary to popular belief.

Haseo21:
A soul and freewill.

Too bad no one can define what a soul is.

What is a man? A miserbale pile of secrets!

OT: Probably the fact we have thumbs and made toast.

There's a lot of things that we can collectively call "human" behavior, like the awareness of the future, our ability to create art for its own sake, the desire for justice and not simply revenge, and the capacity to feel emotional pain for things and people that aren't even remotely related to us (empathy).

Personally, I prefer the simpler and more honest criterion - we're the species most eager to use violence to respond to obstacles, inconveniences, and incongruities of any degree. We're not the strongest and we're not even necessarily the smartest, but we are the most bloodthirsty against anything that challenges our arbitrary standards of "normal."

Being human? Humanity is merely a title that we gave ourselves, we are not supperior to any other creature on this, or any planet. We are Homo Sapien. I suppose if we evolve further then we will be something else, but will that make us less or more human?

It is pure and simple, we are not the only creatures with emotions, inteligence, free will or ever a social code.

Alpha Centauri:

For a hopelessly simple answer i'm going to say the following:

Because you thought that, proceeded to go to the computer at your house and type up onto the internet for others to discuss, comment and argue.

Also, have apes split the atom? :P

We have morals.
we have heart.
and most of all, we feel mercy

Demon ID:

Alpha Centauri:

For a hopelessly simple answer i'm going to say the following:

Because you thought that, proceeded to go to the computer at your house and type up onto the internet for others to discuss, comment and argue.

Yes. Yes they have.

we have empathy:
it's why there are so many groups against animal cruelty.

we have 'ratio':
we can temper our basic urges by reasoning
(read up on aristotle)

those are the first two that pop to mind

Dr. wonderful:

Demon ID:

Yes. Yes they have.

Well It seems fitting to use this clip for the second time today.

Ekonk:

Continuum:

Yes they do. Chimps have empathy. They can reason how another chimp feels. The cold hard facts are that we are hardly any different from animals, contrary to popular belief.

Perhaps it is because we are technically animals? Anywho do you have the source which details this experiment? I mean what could you do to tell such a complex emotion as empathy?

The ability to think abstract

easy, we can create and adapt faster than any other animal wich gives us the advantage in any kind of situation against animals, that is what makes us human

it's just DNA

Sentience, yes a chimp can recognise it's own reflection, but can it question it's own existence in the grand scheme of things? The fact that we are having this discussion is what makes us human.

What makes us human? We're not afraid of the vaccum cleaner.

A pathological need to self destruct.

Misanthropy aside, what makes us human is simply our broad spectrum of intelligence; we think, plan, feel many conflicting emotions...essentially all the things a normal human does.

Plus the fact we can speak; Doctor Doolittle universe does not count.

its definatly the pants

The complex prefrontal cortex that has unique protein markers is what makes us the person, along with the memory by the same design essentially in the temporal lobes. What makes us human is our overgrown cerebral cortex and thumbs.

The rest is philosophy and morality combined with ethics to produce a complex and time consuming argument that results in nothing more than a bunch more unanswerable questions. Pondering when we could be doing something practical.

Like making me a sandwich.

tl;dr?

DNA and Sandwich making abilities.

A scientific classification is all, we are no better than animals at heart, look at cavemen.

None of us really exist, we are all just figments of our own imagination!

Ekonk:

Haseo21:
A soul and freewill.

Too bad no one can define what a soul is.

Well I guess your right about that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked