Stereotypes of where you come from

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Not sure if this has been done before...

So. I live in Texas. Apparently, everyone here wears cowboy hats and boots, rides their horse everywhere, say "yee-ha" or "howdy" non-stop, and we all carry guns. (No, I'm not making this up. Whenever I travel anywhere, these are the honest to god first questions I've been asked.)

The only thing mostly true is the guns part. And yeah, we do have accents, but I've never met in my entire life, a Texan who said "howdy". And I don't even own an effing horse. I do, however, own a cowboy hat and boots, but I can count on one hand how many times I've worn them in public.

So, Escapists. What are the stereotypes of your country? Or rather, what stereotypes do you find the most entertaining?

America

Fat and obnoxious and stupid.

And somehow we're also lumped in with being uber patriotic.

EClaris:

Somehow? You really don't know why?

Canadian: Nice, maple syrup loving lumberjacks with adorable accents. How did we get such an awesome stereotype?
more specific......
Alberta:Read the Texas op above.

EClaris:
America

Fat and obnoxious and stupid.

Yay America...
Specifically Indiana here, so... GO CORN!

Lullabye:

EClaris:

Of course I do. It was more of a sarcasm thing.

Inbred hil billys sittin on te porch drinkin te moonshine playin te banjo and bein racist.

I'm Scottish. We're all ginger, we wear kilts and we chase around haggis. Also, anyone who's seen Frankie Boyle thinks that every Scotsman is a cynical bastard. This just isn't true. Only the true Scotsmen are.

I'm from New Jersey... Everybody thinks we're Guido's... that's about it lol.

Irish, drink and violence.

Actually, both of those are somewhat true, we're the second heaviest drinkers in the world (1st is Luxembourg) and we have these incredibly violent guerrilla wars every once in a while.

EDIT: I removed the video at another users request.

That all us Brit's drink tea and apparently we are all good friends with the Queen far from the truth trust me

I'm from Cleveland.

Ireland - Alcoholics,always fighting(usually when drunk),devoutly catholic,live in thatched cottages,believe in leprechauns(the last 2 tend to be an american stereotype of us)

apparently me and everybody i know are called either paddy or mick and we all wear paddy caps while drinking guinness and eating bacon & cabbage, all after a long day of farming, praying, getting abused by the local priest, and fighting the brits. Thankfully being irish is so much less than that......we dont get abused by priests anymore

Everyone not from the Midlands thinks us Yamyams are Brummines, BASTARDS!

I am from Eastern Kentucky. That should be enough said lol. When I travel I have been asked if we have televison and indoor plumbing.

However, I do enjoy my accent.

I'm from Kentucky.

I supposedly don't eat or drink anything but Fried Chicken and bourbon and I don't own shoes. I poo in the backyard and have more dead animal carcasses in my house than lightbulbs. I've also apparently never been to the dentist and am an inbred clansman.

Please, for the love of FSM, kill me...

(Although we do have a bad-ass movie...)

I told someone I lived in Mississippi, (Southern United States for everyone that doesnt know) and she said, and i quote?

"Do you live on a farm?"
To which I stared at her blankly and said "No"

Not everyone that lives in the south drives pick-up trucks, fly rebel flags, lives on a farm, or fucks their sister.

Canadian.

Stupid, backwards, communist, lumber jacks, we sweat maple syrup, We all live in Igloos.

Canada: Mini-America, except we have never fought in any war, have no military, and are Communists, who also live in Igloos and ride dogsleds, sell furs, speak French, have Terrorists every square kilometer, and always have snow.

... Yeah, makes me want to choke a Texan too.

Iowa: Surely, I must live on a farm and love corn more than anything else in the world. Iowa is completely flat as well.

I don't live on a farm, and downtown is nothing but hills. Snake Alley came to mind just now for some reason... where was I? Oh, I remember. I do love sweet corn however, it is delicious.

Freebird.:
I'm Scottish. We're all ginger, we wear kilts and we chase around haggis. Also, anyone who's seen Frankie Boyle thinks that every Scotsman is a cynical bastard. This just isn't true. Only the true Scotsmen are.

Sounds like my Grandfather is a true Scotsman, then.

And I live in Canada. I am not a lumberjack, I do not have a polar bear, there is minimal snow where I am right now, I do not live in an igloo, and I am not a mountie (although it looks like I want to be one).

Maryland.

We don't eat only crabs only our capital does that.

Thats all I can think of.

England: Tea drinking, crumpet eating, bad teethed Queen lovers.

I think there are two stereotypes of Dutch people, which sometimes get mixed in strange ways.

One involves wooden clogs, tulips, cheese, herrings, and funny outfits.

The other involves drug-use and prostitution.

Im from Califiornia people from other states have seem to of put me on a pedestal because of this...dont know why im supposed to be super awesome i guess...people from other countries seem to of expected me to have tried to become an actor at some point or met Brad Pitt or Snoop Dog(Aparrently he has a house in hills near by but does he live ther? WHO CARES)

Lullabye:

EClaris:

Canadian: Nice, maple syrup loving lumberjacks with adorable accents. How did we get such an awesome stereotype?
more specific......
Alberta:Read the Texas op above.

That's kind of.. completely wrong.
Canadians are stereotypically "eskimo" idiots that are nice to everyone else, like to wear wool sweaters, don't know what 'party' means, ride polar bears to school, eat beavers and moose, have a really weird and annoying accent with "eh" at the end of every sentence, eat blubber when the beaver supply is low, and the entire population consists of Sally and her family.
Our prime minister is a polar bear and our house of parliament is a giant igloo. We use animals for currency, apparently.

EDIT: I forgot, most people I know from the U.S. think Canada worship the queen of Britain as a god. And we're also some obscure country in the middle east.

Canada:

We're nice.
We have funny accents.
It's always cold.

It's only really cold during winter.

Furburt:
Irish, drink and violence.

Actually, both of those are somewhat true, we're the second heaviest drinkers in the world (1st is Luxembourg) and we have these incredibly violent guerrilla wars every once in a while.

See this? This is about an hour from my house.

Heh, i think the Taliban or the Viet Minh will happily show you a real increadably violent guerilla war. That said, it must have been scary for those living there at the time- you don't really think about ground-wars on the British Isles.

My local area has been hit by war too, we were bombed pretty heavily during the war, my grandmother was evacuated when an unexploded bomb landed in their street. I had a great uncle who stayed inside the house during a raid, the house took a direct hit and due to the pressure of the explosion he was blasted out of the window, to land on the cabbige patch in the garden outside, competly unharmed! I also remember reading in a local history book that a JU-88 bomber was shot down by flak-guns from nearby RAF Sealand, and it crashed landed on the very road that i lived on. Much to the annoyance of the local townspeople, the wreck was taken up to Birkenhead were it was paraded around so the AA gunners could say that they actually shot something down.

From that anyone should be able to tell whereabouts i live- so there is the chavvy assosation there if i say to anyone that i "live near liverpool". Regarding my home town, we do have a local reputation for being inbred. The reason why, or so the old myth goes, is that during the Black Death the people of my home town built a palasade wall around the settlement, so nobody who was infected could enter the town. I don't know if it worked or not, it probably didn't, but of course you can see where the rather disgruntled outsiders, who were dying of plague, got the inbred idea from.

'Chavs' are steriotypical of where I come from, but damn it, it's true!

dududf:
Canadian.

Stupid, backwards, communist, lumber jacks, we sweat maple syrup, We all live in Igloos.

No, that would be us Icelanders.

Vikings who live in igloos because it's so cold here and have the most complicated language to learn. And the most expensive country in the world.

I have no idea if there are any more stereotypes from Iceland...

MetalDooley:
Ireland - Alcoholics,always fighting(usually when drunk),devoutly catholic,live in thatched cottages,believe in leprechauns(the last 2 tend to be an american stereotype of us)

And that's a stereotype of Americans: that all Americans have stereotypes of other countries that are absolutely absurd.

Anyways, for some reason people assume that people from Oregon are all hippies. That or they don't know where Oregon is in the first place.

England. Does it really need to be said?

Okay, fine.

Posh, polite, drinking tea as it passes by our bad teeth, all the while dressed in a business suit from the Victorian era.

Umberphoenix:

MetalDooley:

And that's a stereotype of Americans: that all Americans have stereotypes of other countries that are absolutely absurd.

Anyways, for some reason people assume that people from Oregon are all hippies. That or they don't know where Oregon is in the first place.

Ok just so you know I live in a area that gets a lot of tourists and it's always the Americans looking for the thatched cottages and little green men.Not all of them obviously and I never thought they all believe these things.But I have been asked about these things more times than I can remember and it's never the Europeans/Asians/Australians doing the asking

I'm from Brighton in England. Those of you who are from the UK know what Brighton is famous for. Brighton is the UK's San Francisco, it's our gay capital, in fact I think it's the gay capital of Europe. Though I am bestowed with smooth skin and a certain aura of femininity, I'm not a full blown homo.

According to Southern Virginians all Northern Virginians are basically Europe's stereotype of all Americans, fat obnoxious stupid yuppies.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked