Stereotypes of where you come from

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Instead of the stuff tha could get me banned, I'll go with furries.
We are not sexually repressed freaks. Those are called furverts. Furries just think Starfox wouldn't be as awesome if he was human.

That-Guy:
Canada:

We're nice.
We have funny accents.
It's always cold.

It's only really cold during winter.

That's not true! I went to Canada in the summer and I swam in a lake... OUTSIDE... WITHOUT A WETSUIT... AND DIDN'T CATCH A COLD... though it was a little chilly.

MetalDooley:
Ok just so you know I live in a area that gets a lot of tourists and it's always the Americans looking for the thatched cottages and little green men.Not all of them obviously and I never thought they all believe these things.But I have been asked about these things more times than I can remember and it's never the Europeans/Asians/Australians doing the asking

It's still a stereotype of Americans that they know nothing of other people's cultures except what they're told through the media.

Cheery Lunatic:
Not sure if this has been done before...

So. I live in Texas. Apparently, everyone here wears cowboy hats and boots, rides their horse everywhere, say "yee-ha" or "howdy" non-stop, and we all carry guns. (No, I'm not making this up. Whenever I travel anywhere, these are the honest to god first questions I've been asked.)

The only thing mostly true is the guns part. And yeah, we do have accents, but I've never met in my entire life, a Texan who said "howdy". And I don't even own an effing horse. I do, however, own a cowboy hat and boots, but I can count on one hand how many times I've worn them in public.

ha ha, you have almost covered everything i wanted to say.

Others that i can think of are that people think Texans are racist, un-intelligent, and that we hunt all the time and eat anything we can get our hands on.

Geordies (North-east England) all wear Newcastle United shirts no matter the weather, get into fights, drink Brown Ale, and work in ship yards. Mainly true, except there aren't any shipyards any more.

Seattle/Pacific Northwest: We're all flannel-wearing, unshaven software geeks with a salmon fetish.

California. Seems like people believe we're all surfer dudes with waist long blonde hair and ripped bodies while wearing only flip-flops and swim trunks. Also that we're one of the most liberal people in the US.

To be more pinpointed: Southern California. We're nasty, mean, gang-bred bastards that will tear out eyes. This is from Northern California people.

Though I'm glad I haven't been asked if I ever owned a surf board.

ToonLink:
I told someone I lived in Mississippi, (Southern United States for everyone that doesnt know) and she said, and i quote?

"Do you live on a farm?"
To which I stared at her blankly and said "No"

Not everyone that lives in the south drives pick-up trucks, fly rebel flags, lives on a farm, or fucks their sister.

Amen to that. I live in Alabama, and so many of my friends from out of state ask me why I don't drive a jacked-up truck instead of my Ford Escape. I also don't live on a farm (though my grandfather owns one) and I don't think my accent is that terrible.

Don't get me wrong though, I definitely know several people who do their best to reinforce "Southern redneck" stereotypes. And I do admit that I enjoy fried foods every now and then, but that's about as far as the stereotype goes for me.

Every Dutch(wo)man owns a pair of wooden shoes and lives in a mill. Ow and we use drugs all the time.

Can't shake the feeling that should the third one ever become a reality, well the first and second probably wouldn't stay far behind

apparently Denmark is the capital of IKEA. no, im dead serious. heard an american ask me if it was true once...

jesus christ...

As mexicans, we are prone to get involved in gang activity, fail at having a successful future educational-wise, quite "ghetto", and hate every other minority.

These are our stereotypes, and sadly a large percentage of my ethnicity do carry out those stereotypes I mentioned.

Sahasrahla:
Seattle/Pacific Northwest: We're all flannel-wearing, unshaven software geeks with a salmon fetish.

Actually, when I was younger I was told that Seattle was the gay capital of the US.

With Australia, I will leave *some* populations out of this.

For the main Australia the stereotype is that I drink lots of beer (hate the taste), love my sport (bores me), lazy (maybe some truth there), tanned (I am a ginger, tanning is stupid) and live in the isolated Outback (the majority leave close to the coast, I am not an exception). Oh and speak in heavily-slang speech. Now with that, I attempt to speak somewhat formally in everyday life.

Believe me, the Australian stereotype is one of the least true to the reality.

LordOfInsanity:
California. Seems like people believe we're all surfer dudes with waist long blonde hair and ripped bodies while wearing only flip-flops and swim trunks. Also that we're one of the most liberal people in the US.

To be more pinpointed: Southern California. We're nasty, mean, gang-bred bastards that will tear out eyes. This is from Northern California people.

Though I'm glad I haven't been asked if I ever owned a surf board.

Didn't think of that, but damn we southern Californians rule hehe.

Norwegian, well for the girls at least, they're tall blond hotties with blue eyes (Not far from the truth... makes blond girls normal and boring).
Men are mostly just blond guys with blue eyes.

I don't really know any more stereotypes than that... well we do drink oil.

Umberphoenix:

MetalDooley:
Ok just so you know I live in a area that gets a lot of tourists and it's always the Americans looking for the thatched cottages and little green men.Not all of them obviously and I never thought they all believe these things.But I have been asked about these things more times than I can remember and it's never the Europeans/Asians/Australians doing the asking

It's still a stereotype of Americans that they know nothing of other people's cultures except what they're told through the media.

Fair enough.It's not one I personally believe though

Lately everyone thinks of Greece as some obnoxious good-for nothing teenager constantly asking for pocket money....

Well, far as I've heard someone somewhere seems to think Estonians are quite fond of fascism.

yes im scottish too and the haggis eating kilt wearing stereotype really annoys me

Lullabye:
*snip*
Canadian: Nice, maple syrup loving lumberjacks with adorable accents. How did we get such an awesome stereotype?
more specific......
Alberta:Read the Texas op above.

Hahahaha. Yes ive heard that Alberta is the texas of canada. thats just mean.
Ontario: So far all ive heard is that we are dicks. especially toronto, seeing as its "dick central" (so sayeth a quebeccer.)

Well, as a Finn, I am obviously an alcoholic who has problems with small talk and expressing his emotions. Thus I drink more booze and end up fighting a complete stranger and probably stabbing the poor bugger to death. Furthermore, I live in the middle of a forest.

We Danes likes to drink beer and... then drink some more beer. Oh! And we're also blasphemers.

England: drink tea, talk posh, stiff upper lip, can't handle their drink, in love with the Queen.....etc
Grimsby (my birth town): Chavs, obsessed with fish (its a fishing town although the fish is good cause its fresh), called (rather unaffectionately) Cod heads.

Side note: Im not a chav and i dont like cod (although the haddock is better there cause its fresh)

Hull =

Well, i am from a small town about 80 miles west of Albany, NY. Nobody is going to know it or anything else nearby by name, so when i am asked where I am from I just say "New York." The person I am talking to never fails to say something like "Oh, you're a city kid, huh?"
No jackass, i am not from the city. There is a whole damn state called New York. People never even get the chance to form stereotypes about the place I am from, they have to be reminded that it even exists.

FlshrImp:

Lullabye:
*snip*
Canadian: Nice, maple syrup loving lumberjacks with adorable accents. How did we get such an awesome stereotype?
more specific......
Alberta:Read the Texas op above.

Hahahaha. Yes ive heard that Alberta is the texas of canada. thats just mean.
Ontario: So far all ive heard is that we are dicks. especially toronto, seeing as its "dick central" (so sayeth a quebeccer.)

I lived a large portion of my life in the city, and am also a dick. So everywhere I go people always always ask me "Are you from Toronto?" This has jhappened at least once in each part of the country.

Central Indiana. Contrary to popular belief, we don't just farm corn all the time. We also grow soybeans.

Coloradoans are all really into skiing. And evidently, in Columbine, they still have the blood on the walls... Morons... T_T

Gxas:
I'm from Cleveland.

Hahaha, I think every town motto should be "at least we're not Detroit."

I'm living in Wisconsin so drunks, cows and crazy Packers fans. All somewhat true, though I live in a college town so don't take my word on the drunks. Take The Onion's word instead!

Pennsylvania

the stereotype that we are just all coal miners with black smoke for air EVERYWHERE

They're watching us

Vermont, which is in America, here. Were a regular contradiction. Half the stereotypes are super far left liberal, pot smoking tree hugging hippies. The other half of the stereotype is uneducated, buck toothed, farm boy redneck. And that everyone skis, and the states filled with gay people.

Dutch people all do drugs! At breakfast!

Not really, obviously, but you get the point.

Wisconsin

Drunk, hunting, and having sex with cows

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
England: Tea drinking, crumpet eating, bad teethed Queen lovers.

This, but in my case it's true.

Minnesota.
Everything is like Fargo. As much as I love that movie.... yea.

That or that we're all like the equivalent of rednecks (in the north) in terms of intelligence- that kind of goes for Minnesota and Wisconsin. And both of us accuse the other of being like that. I'm pretty sure we all know none of its true though

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked