Stereotypes of where you come from

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I'm Australian. Knowing this, you can already assume that when I'm not surfing at the world's greatest beaches I'm getting pissed constantly, look all rugged and have an accent that has slightly more appeal than a straight english one, ride kangaroos to work, relish pouncing on that venomous snake that got into the house, and if I see a croc out in the swamp by crikey you better believe I'll whack a machete between my teeth and dive headfirst into the mire to sort that sucker out.

Us Aussies are actually quite fond of our stereotype, and do pretty much NOTHING to suggest it isn't true.

Also- DROP BEARS! image

with one stroke these monsters will slice your scalp open and EAT YOUR BRAIN. Also our spiders are so big they have health bars (Google it)

I live in Oklahoma. I do hunt and fish, I do own a gun, I do farm, I do drive a truck, I do wear a cowboy hat, and I do say Howdy as a greeting. The animals I kill I eat.

I can ride a horse- I have three. It is about half a mile from my house to my closest neighbor.

I am not missing any teeth. I am not an idiot. My response to everything is not some racist comment. I do not blame all my problems on the North. I am not a religious man, despite living in the buckle of the Bible Belt. I do not smoke, dip, or chew tobacco.

I do occasionally drink a bit much, but Bud and Coors are not allowed in my home. My poison of choice is Boddington's Pub Ale or Chicken Killer.

I am mostly a stereotype of Oklahoma, but I'm alright with that.

OK I can't get the horrific drop bear image to come up in the post, which wrecks the whole impact, but if you want to see it it is here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CCp1tESrU5Y/Siv-SXfU-zI/AAAAAAAAKF4/pa4V8_DZ72w/s1600-h/hot6.jpg

England - posh twats who drink a shit load of tea and have awful teeth.
The reality - I heard we have the best dental care of any country in the western world, I hate tea but agree that most brits love the stuff, and there are very few posh people. Most people I know are working class, have anything but a posh accent and is a miserable, cynical bastard. I hate the stereotype but I hate the reality more, Britain truly sucks and is a very miserable place. Can't wait to move to America, and yes I mean that

Not sure if I've missed it in here somewhere but I'm from England and a young mum. Here that stereotypes you as a slag who wasn't using protection and has had 30 sexual partners by the time she's 18.

None of which is true.

I'm from Brazil, but I don't really like samba (not what's being sold as samba nowadays, anyway) or soccer. And today is the first day after Carnaval, and it will be the first day in a week I'll go out, because I just can't stand Carnaval...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I went to Rio de Janeiro (which is NOT the Capital of Brazil, by the way) only twice for work and didn't go to the beach.

More specifically, I live in the state of Mato Grosso (which literally means "thick woods"), and every time I go to the more "civilized" areas of the country, people ask me if we have pet cheetahs or if we live in tribes.

Tomster595:
I'm from New Jersey... Everybody thinks we're Guido's... that's about it lol.

ditto. and being a girl i hate being lumped in with the 'Jersey Gurl' stereotype too. Those are the fucking coast girls if anything. I'm from South Jersey so I more like a girl from Phili than anywhere else.

Cheery Lunatic:
So. I live in Texas. Apparently, everyone here wears cowboy hats and boots, rides their horse everywhere, say "yee-ha" or "howdy" non-stop, and we all carry guns. (No, I'm not making this up. Whenever I travel anywhere, these are the honest to god first questions I've been asked.)

Where in Texas do you live? I've heard some nasty rumors about West Texas... as well as some very nice things about the Austin area.

SantoUno:
As mexicans, we are prone to get involved in gang activity, fail at having a successful future educational-wise, quite "ghetto", and hate every other minority.

These are our stereotypes, and sadly a large percentage of my ethnicity do carry out those stereotypes I mentioned.

I'd agree with you, but I'm fairly certain most of the gangbangers at my high school that I can think of are Puerto Rican. Most of my classmates don't know the difference >.<
"Durr hurr, they's all Hispanics, wot's the difference, yo?"

However, we just had a small family of Mexican immigrants open up a restaurant in town. They epitomize the other Mexican stereotype I'm aware of- the hardcore Roman Catholic variety. They're terrific.

RatRace123:
We play hahd, we play at the pahk. Then we go to Duncan Donuts, get a lahge coffee. And when our sport teams win, we drink and get violent.

Truth be told, that's only Boston. The rest of MA isn't really like that.

Awh, I love you Massachusettsians. I visit the Cape every summah. My uncle lives in the 'elbow' of MA (Chatham) and he has a fairly heavy accent.

On topic... upstate New York? Well, our politicians are corrupt as all hell and our standardized test scores are spiraling down the tubes.

The_Shinigamer:
I'm from Kentucky.

I supposedly don't eat or drink anything but Fried Chicken and bourbon and I don't own shoes. I poo in the backyard and have more dead animal carcasses in my house than lightbulbs. I've also apparently never been to the dentist and am an inbred clansman.

Please, for the love of FSM, kill me...

(Although we do have a bad-ass movie...)

Ya know, I think I saw him once while takin' a poo off my back porch!

Well, Wisconsin is commonly referred to as the Dairy State, so we like our milk and cheese. We might also have a reputation for being big drinkers, though if that's the case, it's well deserved for the most part.

silver wolf009:
Inbred hil billys sittin on te porch drinkin te moonshine playin te banjo and bein racist.

Tennessean too?

I'm in america, but being californian shies away most negative stereotypes.
I do feel sorry for anyone intelligent in the southern states, though...

Plazmatic:

Pyromaniac1337:
Canada: Mini-America, except we have never fought in any war, have no military, and are Communists, who also live in Igloos and ride dogsleds, sell furs, speak French, have Terrorists every square kilometer, and always have snow.

... Yeah, makes me want to choke a Texan too.

Really? you hate Texans that much? Bigot, get off these forums if you're going to go around saying you want to kill people...

Any ways, I'm from Missouri, and every one else in the united states thinks were hill billies, but I have yet I don't see a single hill for miles were I live, and we don't have southern accents (accept the southern Missourians, there are hill billies, across the Missouri river you will find them, they all voted for Bush TWICE) and for me and and every one here north of the Missouri river, find it EXTREMELY annoying when people go out and call Missouri "Missour-UH".

Also, Canadians, we don't use a lot of the stereo types that you think we do here in the US.

Only stereo types ever used - Bacon, and nobody cares about Canada. (also annoying geese that take shits all over the side walk come from their) and some times considered the 51st state

the Syrup thing is saved for OUR OWN states, like Vermont, and Maine.

Accent stereo types have since been diminished from civilized places in the US, we think you sound like us, (of course English speaking Canadians I mean.. not French) unless thats a stereo type. I can attest to at least a few people having the same accent, seeing as my month long stay in Victoria Canada, I heard not one Canadian with a stereo typical accent, they all sounded American.

The accent now is attributed to people in Wisconsin..

"Mini-America, except we have never fought in any war, have no military, and are Communists, who also live in Igloos and ride dogsleds, sell furs, speak French, have Terrorists every square kilometer, and always have snow."

I have never once heard any of those stereo types (in the US at least). The closest stereo type would be, Canada = America or Canada part of America, which in their selves are jokes, not stereo types.

Either you live in one of the few good states, or you're EXTREMELY sheltered. Either way, get out moar.

Eugene Oregon here

So I guess I'm stereotyped as a pot-smoking, anarchist hippie.

This couldn't be more far from the truth really, unless you live downtown.

EDIT: I also like grunge and punk rock apparently....which I don't

Indiana = Corn

For Mexicans in America see this video

It may not be funny to most people, but what was funny to me is how all of these were right.

CrashBang:
England - posh twats who drink a shit load of tea and have awful teeth.
The reality - I heard we have the best dental care of any country in the western world, I hate tea but agree that most brits love the stuff, and there are very few posh people. Most people I know are working class, have anything but a posh accent and is a miserable, cynical bastard. I hate the stereotype but I hate the reality more, Britain truly sucks and is a very miserable place. Can't wait to move to America, and yes I mean that

I'm with you my friend but I'm trying for the great white north.
(most of the Canadian stereotypes are nice IMO so I kinda hope there all true).

Northern Ireland....fucking terrorists and potatoes. I've heard it all the before you dickheads but still with the potato jokes.

"Hey der, Foolks, i'm fruom Can-A-Da, Eh? I reeally dun' know aboot them streyatypes, Eh, i mean Hear in Can-A-Da were all buddys with everybody, Now if y'ell excuse me, teh Beavers are chewin' on meh internet cables. Oh, my Me Igloo is melting! Help help!"

Essentialy this, It's rather funny to hear the dissapointment in those silly American teens voices on XBL when they relise all the things they thought they could make fun of canada are false.

Sir Kemper:
"Hey der, Foolks, i'm fruom Can-A-Da, Eh? I reeally dun' know aboot them streyatypes, Eh, i mean Hear in Can-A-Da were all buddys with everybody, Now if y'ell excuse me, teh Beavers are chewin' on meh internet cables. Oh, my Me Igloo is melting! Help help!"

Essentialy this, It's rather funny to hear the dissapointment in those silly American teens voices on XBL when they relise all the things they thought they could make fun of canada are false.

I'm not your buddy...pal.
Seriously dude I would be honoured if there were any cool irish stereotype characters like Terrence and Philip. Perhaps they offend you but we have Ian Paisley and fucking Bono!

Us Chicagoans are labeled as polish-sausage eating dick-heads who scream "DA BEARS!" while humping our footballs. I proudly do all three.

G1eet:

Cheery Lunatic:
So. I live in Texas. Apparently, everyone here wears cowboy hats and boots, rides their horse everywhere, say "yee-ha" or "howdy" non-stop, and we all carry guns. (No, I'm not making this up. Whenever I travel anywhere, these are the honest to god first questions I've been asked.)

Where in Texas do you live? I've heard some nasty rumors about West Texas... as well as some very nice things about the Austin area.

East Texas.

Don't know much about West Texas 'cept I heard it's full of illegal Mexicans (once again, a stereotype). Went to El Paso once though, and it was pretty nice.

The South. Apparently we don't believe The Confederacy lost the war. We are all stupid hicks with fat sisters. And we all own Confederate Flags. Of course people with an actual brain can tell the last thing I mentioned is the only true thing. Another true thing is that we are all not racist. A lot are and others do believe Jefferson Davis was an American Hero.

Cheery Lunatic:

G1eet:

Cheery Lunatic:

East Texas.

Don't know much about West Texas 'cept I heard it's full of illegal Mexicans (once again, a stereotype). Went to El Paso once though, and it was pretty nice.

Ah. I just heard that Wext Texans can sometimes be a tad xenophobic. I watched a documentary/stock footage a while back from a rest stop on the way to San Angelo (the Czech Stop, if I remember correctly), and showcased a pretty wide variety of Texans' views on acceptance of foreign cultures.

I'm Australian. I've never called anyone mate, and you will never see Kangaroos anywhere near a city. Koalas are also stinky, ill-tempered, and have very sharp claws. Australian accents are also horribly butchered by most impersonators. We get either a bastardised cockney thing or New confused with New Zealanders.

Russia. We are either all drunks or Communists or hell both. Anytime I tell someone I am Russian they are either tell me I am a Commie bastard or I like to drink vodka nonstop.

Originally from Texas here as well. Could say much the same thing as the topic poster did, though I must admit I do say howdy from time to time (albeit in a casual way, not the "hoopin-hollerin'" one most people associate with Texans).
I did have someone ask me once if I had ever had oilmen in my family line, does that count?

I haven't lived in Kentucky long enough to notice any specific stereotypes about the people that live here, other than they're kind of backwoodsy and really like country and bluegrass music.

I hope i embedded the video right. I couldn't find the part in this episode where they call out to the Australian Prime Minister, i thought that was the funniest bit.

Australia is pretty awesome. We're second on the HDI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index) and have been in the top 3 places for years. We were the friendliest country in the world until Canada took that off us. As much as we complain about our health care system we have one of the best in the world. Admittedly half of the population is sport crazy (cricket and football) beer drinking idiots the other half isn't. Oh and even in the middle of the GFC we didn't technically go into recession. Thanks to our strong ties to China the EU's current problem doesn't affect us at all.

So yeah, the stereotype portrayed in the Simpsons episode Bart vs Australia is completely wrong and absolutely hilarious.

That said we have a crappy political system filled with crappy political parties. Our PM is a douche bag who can't answer a question straight (http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/stories/qq)

and who talks and does nothing

We're stuck with Atkinson (don't get me started) and we have an internet filter on the way.

Sorry to go on a rant everyone. I suppose every country has its positives and negatives.

Sterotype of Alabama: No teeth and unejimicated.

Reality: Pretty good dentists down here and plenty of nice schools to go to.

I'm from Louisville, Kentucky. This does not mean that I don't wear shoes, drive a tractor, and sit on my porch with a rifle and some tobacco. I mean, sure, that does happen in SOME areas of Kentucky, but Louisville is a civilized city.

Truehare:
I'm from Brazil, but I don't really like samba (not what's being sold as samba nowadays, anyway) or soccer. And today is the first day after Carnaval, and it will be the first day in a week I'll go out, because I just can't stand Carnaval...

^this mostly

Though people don't ask if I have a lion for a pet since I live on one of those big cities (Porto Alegre btw, means happy docks or something) that no1 outside of the country knows for not having enough naked ladies or an army of drug dealers like São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro

Well, I'm from Birmingham, so apparently oi'm stewpid.

Just so I've got more to post, I'll deal with the various stereotypes of the English. Half of us do not walk around in bowler hats and suits going "My word!" and the other half are not ridiculous Cockneys dressed like it's 1880 going "Bloody 'ell, I can't Adam and Eve it, me old cock sparra!".

Also, a British accent is not necessarily an English accent.

I could go one for days about the stereotypes about me and where I live, but I'll stick to the basics.

I'm from Minnesota and apparently we all own tractors. Not only that, but I guess being from the midwest makes one metally challenged, according to the coasts anyways. And I'm of Polish decent, so that's pretty self-explanatory.

I live in the south of England, Portsmouth to be exact, everyone thinks all people from Portsmouth are major Chavs and you'll get stabbed. The truth is is that there are alot of chavs, but alot of other types of people too (i fall into the 'other' category). And Portsmouth is really just a "lightweight Manchester" in the fact that you really aren't that likely to be stabbed, as oppsoed to 14 year olds acting tough and trying to get you to buy them ciggarettes and alcohol.

Gxas:
I'm from Cleveland.

Hey me too! We had Lance Armstrong or something...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked