Ask a detective/undercover cop

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

congratultaions for your family, you should be proud :-)

AsthmaticPsycho:

ace_of_something:
... One of the Lieutenants in my department is from Wales a town called ummm "A-Berry-St'width?" ...

Aberystwyth, you mean? Don't worry, I had to google it to get the spelling :P

Thanks, that's a big help. Anything on my profiling question, pretty please? :)

Edit: Nevermind, I realise you were most likely working on it while I was being impatient

Okay, I just asked the LT and he said the town was 'Llanelli' I have NO IDEA where I got that berry thing. I must've been thinking of someone else welsh that I know.

Jinx_Dragon:
I don't usually reply to these things, particularity on a topic I have studied in the past and understand just enough to be dangerous with. But this is a more personal question: How many laws on the books do you disagree with and how do you feel about enforcing these types of laws?

I usually don't have a problem with most laws. Sometimes I have big problems with how sentencing works. Some of the minimum sentences are just silly. Some are far too low and some are far too high.
As far as if I personally disagree with a law. Well, it doesn't matter how I feel. It's my job to enforce it. I try if nothing else to be a professional.

How often do you work with other departments like ATF or the FBI? There are a lot of shows like Law and Order where the FBI comes in and they take over everything under a weird pretext of secrecy, often forcing the main characters to step aside or even drop the case entirely. I've always been a bit skeptical about whether or not that really happens.

Weeeeeeell, something that has bugged me for a while, I'm studying Law, and I've worked for a prosecution lawyer for a few weeks (mostly getting him Coffee, but very educational none the less) on some form of work experiance, Whenever dealing with detectives they were very crabby to the man I was working for, clearly they resented him, still have no idea why, but they really didn't like him...
So, my question be, how is your relationship with Lawyers, or other legal officals not within the enforcment of it?

ace_of_something:
-Snip-

I was unlucky enough to fire my weapon a few times when I was on beat/gang unit.

It's not my favorite thing to talk about.

Yeah, I see. That's why I didn't want to ask about shooting someone. I guess one doesn't want to remember that in general...

Other question: Is fitness still important for detectives? If so, are there like annually condition tests or is it rather honor-based?

Roughly how many Irish policemen twiddle their sticks and whistle a braw tune?

Jingermanoo:
Is it possible for someone to hack your Escapist account and then deduce your identity, tipping off people in the area you live/work and potentially endangering your life?

Well, I haven't done undercover work for about 7 years now. So, I think I'm okay.

blackshark121:
Do you ever need to draw your gun and cock it to make a point?

Can you curve bullets a la "Wanted"?

What is the biggest perk to your career?

1. I typically don't touch my gun except at the beginning and end of my shift when I put it on and take it off. Unless I do interviews. In which case it is removed before I enter the interview room.
2. Sadly my gun katta is weak.
3. Chicks dig the uniform. That and being able to have such interesting stories to tell people.

Are you avoiding my silly questions?

And incidentally, have you ever used "Stop in the name of the law" before?

Also, how alike are you to GTA cops?

theSchlub:
How often do you work with other departments like ATF or the FBI? There are a lot of shows like Law and Order where the FBI comes in and they take over everything under a weird pretext of secrecy, often forcing the main characters to step aside or even drop the case entirely. I've always been a bit skeptical about whether or not that really happens.

When I was in Vice we worked with the ATF very often. They were very professional and often deferred to our judgment on things because it was our turf. It's usually kind of neat. You all swap stories and compare notes. My experience working with the ATF has been nothing but a pleasure. The same can be said of ICE (immigrations and customs enforcement). I've only worked with FBI agents once. They weren't the friendly sort but they did the job and did it well. I imagine where I'm starting to get in to fraud a bit more I'll be seeing the FBI more often.
There are some pissing competitions as far as who prosecutes what but usually, the people who are arguing aren't actual investigators. The people arguing tend to be the brass (high up administrative types) Most of the time we let the feds take care of the trial because federal courts give longer sentences and have a higher conviction rate.

Mr. Cuddles:
Weeeeeeell, something that has bugged me for a while, I'm studying Law, and I've worked for a prosecution lawyer for a few weeks (mostly getting him Coffee, but very educational none the less) on some form of work experiance, Whenever dealing with detectives they were very crabby to the man I was working for, clearly they resented him, still have no idea why, but they really didn't like him...
So, my question be, how is your relationship with Lawyers, or other legal officals not within the enforcment of it?

Blanks:
I' a big fan of the ace attorney game and while being fully aware of the difference between the justice system in real life and in the game i must ask

How close are Prosecutors and Detectives?

I myself try to understand that I need to work WITH the DA rather than against him/her. No matter how much of an ass/bitch one of them can be. It's a problem with a lot of origins. One is that a DA and a Detective see things a lot differently and just don't see eye to eye. Another is when a DA says "this evidence does me no good" a detective can take it a bit personally when they spend 35 hours getting that piece of what they feel is very useful evidence. Another problem is many detectives and DAs are used to being in positions of power from how they interview suspects and interrogate people at trial. So it can become kind of a pissing contest.
I understand how complex the court system works and try to have some tact if there is a disagreement.
That being said, the thing that gets me hot under the collar is when a DA will use MY case to bargain on a DIFFERENT case with a defense attorney or with the suspect.

Pimppeter2:
Has anyone ever gone up to you and said "Is that your pistol or are you just happy to see me?"

Pimppeter2:
How accurate portrayal of you life is Undercover Brother?

Pimppeter2:
Are you avoiding my silly questions?

And incidentally, have you ever used "Stop in the name of the law" before?

Also, how alike are you to GTA cops?

in order
Nope. I use a shoulder holster as do most detectives (they're easier to wear with a suit)

Not very Similar at all. Except how suave we both are.

nope just having trouble keeping up with questions.

Can't say that I have. Not because it's cliche but because if we're trying to tell someone to stop that phrase is too long "stop police!" or "stop Such and such department!" are much more common.

We're much smarter and less crooked.

T-Bone24:
Roughly how many Irish policemen twiddle their sticks and whistle a braw tune?

Not nearly enough.

Pimppeter2:
Who's a better detective, you or Veronica Mars?

keep flashing pictures like that and his brother will find you lol

How do you feel about the Resurection of your old thread?

And what would you sing if you were on American Idol?

What's the scariest thing you've experienced in your career?

If you have ever seen the show "Cold Case" on TNT, how accurate is it when it comes to how suspects or witnesses are interviewed?

It says something about a thread when you create an account specifically to post on it. This really is fascinating.

I have a query. It's not all that heavy, and it has more to do with cop than detective, but I'll post it here regardless. I'd appreciate your input.

I'm good friends with the woman who runs our local shop. She's a nice old lady, but blunt with an utterly no-nonsense attitude. I often sit in the shop and talk with her, and the other day she told me about an incident she'd had with a couple of police officers. The shop is directly opposite my old secondary school, and is usually crawling with kids. Due to some anti-social behaviour or other, the school asked her to stop serving the kids - which she did - only for it to rebound on her. They started shouting abuse and threats, and there were a lot of thefts, so she decided to serve the kids regardless as it would be easier, not to mention safer.

A day or so later, a couple of policemen enter the shop and ask her why she decided to serve the kids against the schools wishes. She explained, only for one of the policemen to try and intimidate her. I don't know the exact ins and outs of it, but the one thing that scared her was that he told her: "If you don't, I could make life very difficult for you."

She's done as they said since, but she was really shaken by the police visit. She's a bit forthright, but it's her own private business and I don't think she did anything wrong. Her husband thinks she should complain, but I don't know whether she'd get anywhere. I'm in England, not America, but I thought that something like this isn't really country-restrictive. Do you think she'd have a chance if she complained? Have you ever experienced anything like this in your workplace?

What do you think of the fact that my high school offers a class that basically tells you how to be a cop on CSI? (we watched the show several times in that class)

How do you handle it when a person calls you guys over on a regular basis, when they're crazy? (my friends neighbor has called the cops on him while he was working in his backyard)

Is your life anything like Law and Order: SVU?

OK, First off, I want to join the UK police, And so you have to shout "Your Nicked!" next time you make an arrest.

Now i myself work in...Security. We are quite Hi-tech in our approaches, But i have to ask:

What was the longest case you ever had to deal with?

How often do you figure a case out whilst drinking bitterly at the pub?

In all seriousness though, I seem to remember a thread telling us that you were hospitalized a couple of months back, with something rather serious, I take it you've made a full recovery? How was it? Was it difficult getting back in shape properly? Has it affected your work to any great length?

Do you guys have a sort of clear-cut pre-established drop-off for the likelihood of solving a crime against the time since said crime had taken place?

Also, thank you for pointing me in the direction of that topic; it was incredibly informative.

Jingermanoo:
Is it possible for someone to hack your Escapist account and then deduce your identity, tipping off people in the area you live/work and potentially endangering your life?

I can answer this one: No, it is not possible.

Kuliani:

Jingermanoo:

If the site doesn't keep track of the IP of the user, then how would IP bans stick? Surely if it's just the account that's banned then an IP ban would do no good. You'd have to have some way of knowing the IP the account logged in on. Although that may be incorrect, and I'm open to an explanation if you do so willing have the time ;D

*shifty eyes*

Have you ever witnessed or been suspicous of any fellow officers using methods which perhaps cross the line of acceptable conduct, or any corruption and likewise any unlawful behaviour on the part of anyone you may have worked with?

How often is good evidence deemed inadmissible in court because a silly, minute procedure wasn't followed? And has that ever happened to you?

ace_of_something:
After the sexy success of my Ask a Cop/Jailer Thread which refused to die over the course of a year.
I've decided to educate you escapists on detective-ing.
I come from a big group of gumshoes.
My uncle (whom I am named after) was one of the first local departments to do the whole 'pretending to be a 14 year old girl on the internet' schtick. He began doing this in about 1995. He now is retired but travels around the country as a consultant helping departments set up pedophile sting operations.
Another uncle who is one year from retiring in the(Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.) He has 19 years in this department under his belt and 9 years in on Cook County Sheriff's before that (that would be Chicago)
My older brother has been a homicide detective in El Paso, TX. He has been assigned this duty for about three years. He has been a cop for a total of 17 years.
My twin brother is on the city police in the area we live in and has been a SCU (Sexual Based Crimes Unit) for about two years. He has about 8 years experience all together. Before that he worked in the gang unit.
I myself worked as a vice officer on the city police for 3 years. I had a brief run as a corrections officer before switching over to the county sheriff (about 1/2 the size of the city police) on the sheriff's department I have been in 'Crimes Against Property' division for about 7 or 8 months now. I aspire one day to hit the big show. That would be Homicide or the ATF.
This is all not counting my other brother who is a cop but not a detective and one who works as an investigator for Union Pacific Railroad.

I have an MS in Sociology/Criminology. I am constantly reading new techniques and memoirs of detectives.

Most of my knowledge is strictly in the American procedure but I've been trying to learn more about the UK.

As with the ask a cop. Keep it civil and you will get as straight an answer as I can offer. Try to keep your questions in the realm of detectivery and under cover coppery.

edit: I just remembered I have a 2nd Cousin that works as some sort of Detective in Troms County Norway. I almost never talk to the guy though.
And another 2nd cousin who works as some sort of Cop in Bergen.

what sort of gun do you carry for undercover work? obviously youwnt a balance of concealibility, draw speed, damage per round ammo capacity. What did actual police officers carry? a snub nosed .38 special, a .380 acp, or something else?

Have you ever called a partner 'Rook'
Also do you think that people should have guns.
I do but I live in England and really want a hand gun (in case of zombie's).

dududf:

Kuliani:

Jingermanoo:

If the site doesn't keep track of the IP of the user, then how would IP bans stick? Surely if it's just the account that's banned then an IP ban would do no good. You'd have to have some way of knowing the IP the account logged in on. Although that may be incorrect, and I'm open to an explanation if you do so willing have the time ;D

*shifty eyes*

Tracing an IP to it's source doesn't happen like in the movies. You'll hit the last public internet hub and then get timeouts. The best any IP trace can do is show what is the closest internet hub to your location; once it's hits your ISP, nothing.

Have you ever seen the show NCIS? Are you as badass as Mark Harmon?

Mr. Cuddles:

I don't know if it's the same over the pond, but I recently went to a trial in the UK Crown Court (not for anyone I know, but for educational reasons), the crime involved a racially motivated attack from six people on a Polish dude. When a Police officer was called to the scene, he saw six people running away from the car and appearing to hide.

When it came time for the officer to give his testimony, despite him seeing possibly a vital piece of evidence and his 22 years on the force; the defence barrister (UK version of a lawyer) spent 20 minutes not questioning him on what he saw, but trying to discredit him at every possible chance, including attacking him over why he didn't follow the correct procedures, his lack of memory over something that happened two years ago and his courtroom manner (e.g. an exact quote "Don't look at me when testifying! Look over to the jury!" in an obvious attempt to belittle him).

As I said, I don't know if it's the same over there, but i can imagine that's a major contribution.

Do you carry a Tranq. gun?

When you worked undercover, did someone actually ask if you were a cop, thinking you'd be forced to say the truth if you were?

Kuliani:

dududf:

Kuliani:

*shifty eyes*

Tracing an IP to it's source doesn't happen like in the movies. You'll hit the last public internet hub and then get timeouts. The best any IP trace can do is show what is the closest internet hub to your location; once it's hits your ISP, nothing.

He he cool.

I'm assuming it is still possible to find some ones address with their IP though, due to me testing it myself and getting my exact location. I think it was a Fire Fox addon actually, perhaps the method the addon used was different from what I'm thinking of...

Quaxar:

Other question: Is fitness still important for detectives? If so, are there like annually condition tests or is it rather honor-based?

There is an annual fitness test on our department but it's pretty easy though. The one detectives have to take is even easier. It's like "carry this 30 lb bag up a flight of stairs" "Now bend over as far as you can"

Pimppeter2:
How do you feel about the Resurection of your old thread?

And what would you sing if you were on American Idol?

I figured that would happen.
Hrmmm... the stations I speak in a bass baritone. I sing in what is normally called 'a horrible voice'

sam13lfc:
What's the scariest thing you've experienced in your career?

Insanum:

What was the longest case you ever had to deal with?

Other than moment before I had to discharge my weapon? (which i linked somewhere else on this thread)

The answer to both of these questions is the same.

Once, ages ago. I was working with the ATF to help take down a large amount of mexican drug traffickers. It was also the longest time I was undercover (about 2 months) It was scary because when I was out of cover and visiting my mother for her birthday. Two of the guys I was basically shadowing around saw me. With my Mom and some of my brothers. I just introduced them to my Mom and brothers like it was nothing. I used fake names though, hoping my family would catch on. Three of my brothers are also cops and my whole family knew I was in prolonged cover so it worked. From that moment on though I as terrified to get found out because I didn't want them to go after my Mom. There aren't many 6'1' women with funny accents in this town so she'd stick out wherever she goes.
This doesn't mention the fact that my cover story was that my parents had disowned me. I had to then make up a reconciliation story on the fly. Being good at undercover is like being an improve actor. Except you can't forget a single thing you've said. If you suddenly change your life story. You could be dead.
Thankfully, the case ended about two weeks later. I was weary about my mother's safety for several months later though, I lost many nights of sleep.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked