Politically correct term for 'robot'

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So say you're in a futuristic setting. What are some PC terms that you, as a sentient machine, would prefer to be called? (eg. - android)

Or would 'robot' about do it?

As Bishop in Aliens puts it: 'Artificial Person'.

I'd settle for Android.

Android power!

"I [function-possess] a [sleep induced hallucination]. That one [24-hour period] this [area of land] will [gain altitiude] and [Continue operating] out the true meaning of its [Belief-code]"

Great, I just spent the last 5 minutes writing out a robot version of I Have A Dream.

What am I doing with my life?!

AWESOME MECANICAL MAN

or AMM for short

(hahahahaha)

I hate the idea of sentient robots.
I would be the one trying to get them all destroyed rather then refering to them politically correctly.

I prefer the term 'Machine'. Ask any of the people on IRC. Or Zeeky.
He keeps calling me a robot... I keep reminding him 'Machine'.
Although 'Artificial Person' is quite nice.

Biologically Challenged. Hmmm a bit low on content here... Biologically Challenged, Ha.

That should do it

Synthetic? Not too derogatory and makes the difference between people and machines clear.

Since sentient robots = world ruled by said robots, I'm pretty sure they'd want us to call them "Masters" or "Overlords."

Crayzor:
Synthetic? Not too derogatory and makes the difference between people and machines clear.

Who's been playing Mass Effect ;D

Furburt:

Great, I just spent the last 5 minutes writing out a robot version of I Have A Dream.

What am I doing with my life?!

Great things.
I know I enjoyed that.

And if I was anything like I am right now, I'd be fine with being called a robot.
I fucking hate PC language.

"Android" or "Gynoid" (If modeled as a female) generally, but possibly "Synthetic" (Described in Mass Effect 2 as being considered the "politically correct" term, but it does make sense.) if the robots would take issue with being considered "Human-like".

I prefer 'Android' more than robot.

It sound a little more sophisticated.

Robots will never be sentient, they will seem sentient but only because of the math and algorithms involved in their thinking process. In this sense you can never produce a negative (or any) emotion in him, only produce a negative reaction to what you said. Manipulative sons of b**ches! I'll call them whatever i like (robot will suffice).

edit: i misunderstood what we're talking about here. If i was enhanced by mechanical and electronic parts? I'd still be a person, damn it, i'd still want to be called a human.

Electromechanical Humanoid

I believe they would prefer to be called by their first name! For instance, Carl:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/7/31/

MASTER.

Now back to work, meat-bag.

Deus Ex Machina.

Damn straight!

EDIT: I can't believe no one has said this already...

I believe Red vs. Blue put it as "Mechanized American." So yeah that. Unless they're not Ammerican, but you get the idea.

Demented Teddy:
I hate the idea of sentient robots.
I would be the one trying to get them all destroyed rather then refering to them politically correctly.

This - there is no need for sentient machines. Everything we need machines for can be done with programming, complex programming admittedly; but for God's sake don't let the steel and silicon bastards think for themselves!

Remember the Geth, people! Remember the Geth!

As a member of a time period where even vending machines crash regularly, I believe the correct term would be "HOLY SHIT A FUCKING ROBOT!"

Organically challenged, semi ninja'd by Payj567

I believe that the term 'Meta Humans' should suffice

"Android" sounds rather cool. Or "droid", when the robot is not of humanoid form. It has a nice ring to it.

But i think i'd just refer to them by personal name.

Davrel:
Remember the Geth, people! Remember the Geth!

Do you mean the race willing to create their future themselves rather than walk down the path pre-determined by Reapers? They are not exactly "insane Crush-Kill-Destroy-O-Trons".

At first it meant Allied Mastercomputer, and then it meant Adaptive Manipulator, and later on it developed sentience and linked itself up and they called it an Aggressive Menace, but by then it was too late, and finally it called itself AM, emerging intelligence, and what it meant was I am... cogito ergo sum... I think therefore I am.

As for my own thoughts, is "Replicant" too pessimistic? Or would Dick's estate sue?

MAVERICK!

Stupid Toasters don't deserve political correctness :P

In honesty, it can't be robot for one simple reason. I always start thinking about that random kraftwerk song.

What about "Synthetic Lifeform?"

3nimac:
Robots will never be sentient, they will seem sentient but only because of the math and algorithms involved in their thinking process.

[Humans] will never be sentient; they will seem sentient, but only because of the [electricity] and [biochemical mechanisms] involved in their thinking process.

Check out J. Storrs Hall's "Beyond AI". He talks about approaching AI development not so much as a towering, complicated monolith of code, but from the ground-up: incorporating stimuli (ie touch, sight) back to a small, central node of code, and developing from there, much like a developing child's mind works.

A lot of the book is pretty dry (esp when he gets into stuff about game theory) but there are some really fascinating bits in there, and he spends almost the entire first third of the book debunking the notion of a malevolent robot.

I always thought the term "Replicant", from Blade Runner, had a nice ring to it.

Eh. Replicant seems more geared towards robots that are intended to appear human, like in BR.

Mechanised humanoid. I believe to be rather PC...

Hmm...'humanoid' might imply aspirations to humanity. A bit like referring to black people as 'non-whites'.

I would prefer they call me by my designated name, and not by what I am.

Silica animus personaly

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked