Gritty reboots that need to happen

So I was having this discussion a couple of days ago (and was reminded of it by the captain planet thread) about TV shows (or any other media) from the past that could do with a gritty modern reboot.

I think Captain planet and the planeteers is overdue for one as environmental destruction, global warming and evil corporatism have become bigger issues in this modern day.

It could start with Ma-Ti whose now almost 30 and settled down, his peaceful village in the amazon is threatened by corporate development who are using eco villains like Duke Nukum and Dr Blight to terrorizes the villages who resist.

He then has to put the gang back together, Wheeler's a con man and hustler in Vegas and there's a scene where he lights a woman's cigarette with his fire ring, Gi a marine biologist, Linka a hard as nails business tycoon taking advantage of Russia's move into democracy and Kwame is working as an aid worker in war torn parts of Africa (there's a bit where he uses his earth ring to sink the trucks of bandits trying to steal their medicine).

Together they unite to save the day, summon Captain Planet (with plenty of cracks at how outdated his green mullet and speedos are).

So what television, movies etc from your youth do you think could do with a gritty reboot?

Dr. Strangelove?

For such a comedic film, I remember the battle scenes being like a proto-Saving Private Ryan, all shaky-cam and overpowering explosion sounds.

Plus, we could get Seth Rogen to play Slim Pickens role! He's pudgy enough.

Not a remake per se, perhaps a continuation?

Also, Penny Arcades version of Ruxpin.

Sonic being an actual series where, the Kingdom of Acorn and The Eggman Empire are organized militaries fighting for world domination.

Starfox Firefly.
Grand Theft Auto Mario.
Full Metal Jacket..... Viva Pinata?

These are all Utterly Magnificent Deplorable as hell ideas, but they would be funny on paper.

Gritty reboot? It has got to be Hawaii 5-0. That would be awesome if done today, as long as they keep the original theme music (Dun-dun-dun-dUN-Duuun-Duuuuuuuun.... Dun-dun-dun-dun-duuuuuuuun). Book em Danno!

The Superman films.

The only one we've had in recent years was all right, but not as good as Nolan's Batman films.

So Nolan, do Superman now! He can be moody too I guess.

Film-Noir Cyberpunk Inspector Gadget.

You know you want it.

BrotherhoodOfSteel:

Starfox Firefly.

I just died a little inside.

OT: I think a gritty reboot of M&Ms. They're getting too silly.

Frequen-Z:
The Superman films.

The only one we've had in recent years was all right, but not as good as Nolan's Batman films.

You're in luck.

Angerwing:

Frequen-Z:
The Superman films.

You're in luck.

:D Oh wow, how did I miss that? Thanks!

I'm rather curious about a gritty Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. Shunned, bitter mutants kicking ass in the most gruesome kung-fu way possible.

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

I came. We have to ditch his stupidity for that though, and Penny can frell off.

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

Inspector Gadget after he receives his Cyberdyne implant.

Reboot, the series. It ended on a cliffhanger!!!

ReBoot, they ended it on a cliffhanger!

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd!

Hurr Durr Derp:
Film-Noir Cyberpunk Inspector Gadget. You know you want it.

Is it worth the hassle? I mean, he'll have to trade his trilby for fedora!

OT: how about a gritty reboot of "Chip and Dale the Rescue Rangers"? One creatively titled "Chip and Dale the U.S. Army Rangers".

Cowabungaa:
I'm rather curious about a gritty Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. Shunned, bitter mutants kicking ass in the most gruesome kung-fu way possible.

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

I came. We have to ditch his stupidity for that though, and Penny can frell off.

If you want gritty Turtles read the original comics before it was kiddified. All black and white and violent! Ace!

reboots that need to happen, Dangerman would be good, known in the Us as the "Secret agent" only because I want to hear the music again. Would need someone as charismatic and cool as Patrick McGoohan. An agent who never uses guns is never swayed by pretty women and is utterly ruthless with the villans.

The anti bond if you will

I'm waiting on Robert Rodriguez's Predator reboot. From the way that insiders have been talking about it, the movie sounds epic.

Furburt:

I also liked their pseudo-cyberpunk Moby Dick.

Furburt:
Dr. Strangelove?

For such a comedic film, I remember the battle scenes being like a proto-Saving Private Ryan, all shaky-cam and overpowering explosion sounds.

Plus, we could get Seth Rogen to play Slim Pickens role! He's pudgy enough.

Not a remake per se, perhaps a continuation?

How do you continue on Dr. Strangelove? Fallout: The Movie?

Frequen-Z:
The Superman films.

I never liked Superman, especially when he teamed up with Batman. They don't belong in the same universe!

Cowabungaa:

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

Nah, Penny can be there. We'll just have to rework their roles in the show a bit.

Hurr Durr Derp:

Cowabungaa:

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

Nah, Penny can be there. We'll just have to rework their roles in the show a bit.

Hm, perhaps. Maybe she can be like Batman's Oracle, being crippled in the past in the same accident that made Gadget the badass, bionic and bitter asshole cop he would be, helping Gadget with intel and hacking. It'd be awesome.

Also, I think I am forced to make love to you from posting that awesome picture.

Proteus214:
I'm waiting on Robert Rodriguez's Predator reboot. From the way that insiders have been talking about it, the movie sounds epic.

Is that really coming?! Oh sweet spirits you made me come again. I want Rodriguez's babies, his Mariachi films are among my favourite action flicks, and Planet Terror is just one big ball o' awesome. I can only imagine how gory and fantastically over-the-top a Predator movie from his hand will be.

Personally, I'd like to see the Russian Superman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Red_Son) done as a dark gritty movie along the lines of Batman:Dark Knight.
The main storys tend to get the most movies, but the alternate realities are often so much better.
A good example is Batman vs Dracula: Red Rain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%26_Dracula:_Red_Rain), it's seriously one of the best comics I've ever read and I'd love to see it done into a movie as awesome as the recent Batman films...

Hmm... I'd like to a grim and gritty retelling of old cartoons like "Sonic the Hedgehog", though a cyberpunk/Film noir Inspector Gadget sounds interesting.

The Transformers film series. Someone get it out of Michael Bay's hands, make the robots at least similar to the cartoon designs (doesn't have to be strictly G1, just make them actually look and act like Transformers), scale back the amount of human characters.

And FFS, Autobots should not be a 5th branch of the US military.

Random Argument Man:
Reboot, the series. It ended on a cliffhanger!!!

Holy crap I remember that show, it was awesome.

Some of those 90s Nickleodeon shows: Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Catdog, Pinky and the Brain, Kenen and Kel.

They would (probably) be awful, but I'd love to know that they existed.

Hurr Durr Derp:

Cowabungaa:

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

Awesome. That looks like it would fit right into a Hellsing manga.

For some reason I can't quote the opening comment. Anyway, I think if we were to do a gritty reboot of Captain Planet, then Planet himself should get a gritty makeover, since he comes from the planet, which has been ruined. I can picture him with an eyepatch and scars, holding one of the antagonists and going, "You bastard! Look what you've done to the planet! Scum like you don't deserve to live." Considering how anvilicious the show is, I bet the eyepatch would be a result of the BP oil spill. He could also have a new catchphrase when the planeteers call upon him:

"I come bearing the scars you have wrought upon the environment. I AM CAPTAIN PLANET!"

Mortal Komb-oh wait...

Pokemon. I wanna see Charizard cook and tear people into tasty steaks.

I want to see Graham and Paul's gritty Reboot of Theodore Tugboat.

biker mice from mars bitte :)

Captain Planet wouldn't be a bad one beither would be Reboot. though i wish someone would tell the people at NBC or what ever to Finish Las Vegas it ended without any closer.

Citizen Kane

It was his dying word... the key to his empire. But what did it mean? This summer, investigative journalist Jerry Thompson is determined to find out - whatever the cost.

Rosebud.

In theatres August 21st. [This film is not yet rated.]

-m

Casper the Friendly Ghost. Imagine it, people! Of course, they already made it a bit more serious in the live-action movie, showing him talking about how he died... That was great. Just lose the ghost trio, and focus more on his death.

Cowabungaa:

Hurr Durr Derp:

You know you want it.

Baby, have I got a treat for you! However, the story starts off here. All you need to know in advance is that this is Angstman, who has the power to be whiny and angsty. All the other characters have never appeared in the comic before, so don't go thinking there's some backstory you've missed.

Oh, and the kids' Turtles comic book they published was actually pretty darn serious.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked