Escapism Sydney 2010: A Labyrinth's Brainssssss

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sometimes a truly epic event occurs. Sometimes, a humbling opportunity is offered so that an individual may recount this, that it may become legend.

Oh my siblings in Brainz, the day began as a sleepless carry-over from the previous one. The excitement was simply too much for me to sleep! I knew that awesome awaited, so weariness was not permitted to leaden my step nor travel by car nor coach as I journeyed towards my destiny, Escapism, Zombie March Style.

At Central Station it began. DragonsAteMyMarbles and Insert Comedy Here had scouted out our location before I arrived. The latter even spent additional time watching for people with shotguns out of his awesome sense of duty while we chatted. Indigo Dingo appeared on the horizon, and not long after Marq returned, with comrade, from that underworld known as Gloria Jean's. We daubed ourselves with handfuls of blood in the time-honoured preparatory ceremony for this kind of thing. Great smears, gashes, hand prints and splashes were committed upon the innocent clothes of my fellow Escapists and I. Some took it upon themselves to let the ichor fall from their mouths as though it was freshly supped from a victim. The people around as gawked, looking on with awe.

10:30am summoned us away with the siren call of the greater BRAINZZZZzzzz... To Hyde Park! To our Zombie siblings, we lurched.

All around the fountain, the hunter chased the lurchin', armed with buckets of gore. Zombies were scattered about in various stages of degeneration. One foul being left a bucket of dyed treacle out in the open that many unwary zombies would find themselves sticky, adhering to their peers. Very sticky, though thankfully water-soluble.

As more people poured into Ground Zero some curious characters started to appear. Pyramid Head was there, in all his glory. Deadpool too. Zombie clowns, the characters of Left 4 Dead, even representatives from Umbrella Corporation had taken time out of their amoral schedule to join in. Even zombie brides. Even one individual who was dubbed "The Ninja Pirate Zombie Hippie" by popular consensus. He scaled trees like one would run upon the ground, always finding a high vantage point to shoot photos of the crowd. Man-made structures were no greater impediment to this awesome individual.

Our numbers increased until they became too much for the park to hold. We were galvanised into action. We marched.

Some zombies waved signs as we took off. While an R18+ rating and the Australian Government's atrocious censorship schemes are important issues their weight paled in the face of several hundred zombies charging off around Sydney. The collective hunger drove us towards Darling Harbour. nothing stood in our chanting, moaning, gory way. We sprinted across intersections (waiting for the lights, a zombie's one true weakness), terrifying denizens from some horror movie. Or several. The shock of the general population turned to amusement and several hundred cameras tracked our passage.

Atop the Darling Harbour bridge our progress slowed so that a Zombie Choir could strike up. Until you have sung Bohemian Rhapsody and Time Warp with two dozen zombies in the middle of a big city, my friends, you have not lived. And the stairs offered an ideal photo opportunity for the hungry cameras. It was tragic to be waylaid at the edge of Darling Harbour by police. Accursed by-laws! They spoil so much fun. Fortunately the cops were not opposed to having their photos taken surrounded by a zombie horde.

And on we went again. Bloody hand prints were disallowed from shop windows as they were traceable by fingerprints. Whoops. The Zompocalypse circled past Paddy's Markets and wormed our way back through the city to Hyde Park once more.

The fun wasn't over, my friends, as blasting music drew a crowd big enough to host a small Crash Circle. A very sticky one, what with the glucose-based fake blood, sweat, paint, and pure liquid awesome's adhesive qualities. It was brutal none the less. Alas that it ended so soon.

The zombie crowd began to dissipate so our merry band of undead went a-huntin'. In a food court. Well I think we deserved some easy prey after chasing a guy with speakers and a green velvet coat for two hours through the city. Sustenance was found. Consumed. Enjoyed. Duly satisfied zombies shuffled back to Central station and thus the awesome Escapism 2010 Sydney drew to a close.

My thanks, my friends, for joining me today. Everyone else missed something epic. I'll see you all again.

Whadda we want? BRAINS!

When do we want it?

BRAINSSSS!!!!

Just a note on the pictures. If you have nothing nice to say about the people, don't say anything. Most aren't of Escapists that I know but there's a chance they could be here anyway.

Also, if you're going to quote this, snip it. Everything except a few lines because it is a massive post.

Image sources (More can be found where the links lead):
Various Facebook photographers, found here
Kris Ezergailis
Me

Labyrinth:
The best snips of all snips

That looks awesome! Just awesome!

Why was someone dressed as Deadpool? Why?

Wow, I really wish I could have gone...
Damn Pacific Ocean, I'LL HAVE MY REVENGE ONE OF THESE DAYS!

Great pictures, the last two are my favorite.

robert632:

I did ask him, actually. He just shrugged and tried to stab me.

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

robert632:

He was dressed like that because he could be dressed like that. Do you seriously need another reason?

Well, that looked to be the most epic Escapism yet.
Sucked that I had to cut out really last minute, due to some important family and personal business. One after the other.

Seriously, looked like you guys took Sydney by storm.

Labyrinth:

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

robert632:

He was dressed like that because he could be dressed like that. Do you seriously need another reason?

That's reason, but I asked because he was rather out of place.

Apparently, we all just lost the Game. O.o

Irridium:

I have plans for that ocean, evil plans. Shall we ally for the greater... er... evil?

OT:

Absolutely excellent. I must find something worth protesting dressed as zombies around here. Or I suppose I could just wait till Emerald City Comic Con rolls around again in a year and just dress up with a bunch of friends.

OH THATS JUST GREAAT.

How is Esc'10 UK going to top THAT!

Hmmm...

Syon:
Apparently, we all just lost the Game. O.o

You! YOOOOOUUUUU!

Wow...

A lot of effort went into this.

Shame I wasn't there.

Insanum:
OH THATS JUST GREAAT.

You petty mortals, you can never defeat the original Escapism! We have a hundred times the epic that you ever will! Whahahahah!

Good luck trying, however.

manaman:

Irridium:

Yes...

TO THE LEGION OF DOOM!

Man I was working round the corner from Hyde park and I missed this.

How could I have missed this, NOOOO!!!!

Labyrinth:

Insanum:
OH THATS JUST GREAAT.

You petty mortals, you can never defeat the original Escapism! We have a hundred times the epic that you ever will! Whahahahah!

What we lack in numbers, we make up with in AWESOME. Ill have you know ive already got several ideas, One of which is at least 4 times better than Zombies (seeing as we dont have like 70,000 people over here with a day free...)

ITS OOOOOOONNNNN Laby! Its ONNNN!

heyyy i can see the very edge of me in one of the fots...
:D
that was a rather excellent march, i must say.
The zombies trying to eat the cop mustve been pretty brave.... seeing as they'd just tried to cancel the march and effectively stopped our passage through darling harbour.... :(

BTW:
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

BRAINS BRAINS BRAINS!!

xD

Insanum:
What we lack in numbers, we make up with in AWESOME. Ill have you know ive already got several ideas, One of which is at least 4 times better than Zombies (seeing as we dont have like 70,000 people over here with a day free...)

Lack in numbers? We had 5 Escapists there. And oh, you're not just up against this one event. Forget not the Original Escapism, and the Epic Crab Battle that followed, nor Ultrajosephine, nor our kicking Australian Gamer's arse at Laser Tag.

It's been ONNNN for quite a while now..

Insanum:

Labyrinth:

Insanum:
OH THATS JUST GREAAT.

I can be the judge of that - since I'll be at the UK one as well. Of course, that means I'm going to have to be paying attention.
Of course, you just know Labyrinth's planted some sort of power-of-suggestion thing to tip the balance.

Thank you guys so much for coming. :) It was fun on the day, but I had to force myself to stay awake on the train home so I didn't miss my stop. :P

We haven't got any definite plans for future events just yet, but I'll let you know when something's coming up.

That all looked really great.
The thought that went into some of those costumes is pretty awesome. The tactical umbrella pair were rather nice.

Thanks for including so many pictures too, it helps share the awesomes.

Bam! Here I am.

Good times. Zombie-stomping Sydney was awesome. The blood flowed thick and wild.

We even had perfect weather. Let's see the UK do that.

Marq:
Bam! Here I am.

Good times. Zombie-stomping Sydney was awesome. The blood flowed thick and wild.

Perfect weather? I'm burnt to a fucking crisp! Damn the Australian sun, for it doth torment my poor pale skin.

Labyrinth:

Insanum:

Lack in numbers? We had 5 Escapists there. And oh, you're not just up against this one event. Forget not the Original Escapism, and the Epic Crab Battle that followed, nor Ultrajosephine, nor our kicking Australian Gamer's arse at Laser Tag.

It's been ONNNN for quite a while now..

Only 5? well it barely counts! BARELY COUNTS! Seriously. Cause...Its...In...Err...THE RULES! yeah..That'll do.

Marq:
Bam! Here I am.

Ok, Using the weather as a reason isnt fair, Thats like picking on a blind kid cause he cant see! I KNOW our weather sucks, But our insects dont all have fatal bites XD

Insanum:

The rules? The RULES? I wrote the fucking rules! So HA!

And of course our insects are deadly. As is everything else. It's the very reason that Australians are so metal. Once you've survived our wildlife, you can do anything. And that wildlife may be to blame for the zombie hordes.

The distinct lack of chainsaw upsets and disappoints me. Zombies and chainsaws are like bacon and eggs. Apart, they yearn to be reunited. With blood.

Ultrajoe:
The distinct lack of chainsaw upsets and disappoints me. Zombies and chainsaws are like bacon and eggs. Apart, they yearn to be reunited. With blood.

And Ketchup. You forgot Ketchup.

Labyrinth:

Insanum:

The rules? The RULES? I wrote the fucking rules! So HA!

And of course our insects are deadly. As is everything else. It's the very reason that Australians are so metal. Once you've survived our wildlife, you can do anything. And that wildlife may be to blame for the zombie hordes.

...Maybe so.

Oh this has driven me to make my first year attending an Esc SO much more awesome. I mean i KNOW just me being there will make it in the realm of godly, But i think im going to have to pull out a few stops.

Speaking of which, Are you arranging an OFFICIAL Esc '10 Oz this year? At least then we can Kinda compare official events, Instead of Tagging along to Flashmobs.

Ultrajoe:

That fella on the left in the picture at the bottom of the second lot did in fact have a rather ineffective chainsaw with him.
In his own words, "It's got plastic ball-bearings! You can't defend against that!"

Looks like you guys had an awesome time! :D

And since Insanum is already issuing... lots of challenges, I'll just keep schtum. xD

I may attend Escapism UK this year, depending entirely upon timing. You non-convicts have a distinct lack of metal I may need to supplement.

Damn....Escapism looks so awesome. I cannot wait to go to the Escapism UK next year.

Insanum:
Speaking of which, Are you arranging an OFFICIAL Esc '10 Oz this year? At least then we can Kinda compare official events, Instead of Tagging along to Flashmobs.

That was an official Escapism. It had a thread proclaiming it and everything. I'm planning to do another at the end of the year if I'm still in the country come December.

Also, I found some Youtube stuff from yesterday.

Damn. Zombies get all the fun.

Awesome guys. I hope we can get an Escapism here in the US.

Labyrinth:

Insanum:

That was an official Escapism. It had a thread proclaiming it and everything. I'm planning to do another at the end of the year if I'm still in the country come December.

Woah...Only 5 people turned up? Poor show Lamby! poor Show! Esc 10 UK is a three day event, So far we have more than that! (i hope...)

Marq:
I may attend Escapism UK this year, depending entirely upon timing. You non-convicts have a distinct lack of metal I may need to supplement.

July 23rd-25th, London. PM myself or Sky14Kemea & we'll provide details.

Looks like an awesome time.
How many people were there?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook