are cartoons today more violent than before?
yes
9.3% (24)
9.3% (24)
no
69.5% (180)
69.5% (180)
they're the same
9.3% (24)
9.3% (24)
i don't watch cartoons
6.6% (17)
6.6% (17)
i dunno
2.7% (7)
2.7% (7)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are cartoons too violent?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So, i read today a topic about cartoons on another forum and a parent complained that cartoons on tv are too violent these days.

I myself think american cartoons at least are way more tame than they used to be in the 80s or 90s.

What do you think?

edit: ugh the post got published before i finished the poll. does anyone know how to edit it (the edit button isn't working right)

I'm with you, OP, they're much tamer than back in the day.

Tom and Jerry violently attacked each other. choped each other to bits, blew each other up, etc.
The good old days.

I agree with you OP, shows I have seen are definitely tamer than the ones I remember watching when I was younger.

Bugs Bunny can do no wrong.

Road Runner ftw.

That is all.

Cartoon violence is not an issue. It never was. People just need to be better parents. If your kid doesn't understand that if he/she smashes someone's head with a mallet it might kill them, parents need to tell him/her what's up.

Honestly, even as a kid, I knew that cartoons were full of it, and that's why they were enjoyable.

Stupid lack of good parenting in this world. Everyone is so busy trying to get rid of things that they think affects their kids they forget to actually be good parents.

EDIT: Cartoons today aren't violent enough, imo.

Hazy:
I'm with you, OP, they're much tamer than back in the day.

This.

If anything, they need to be more violent than what they are now.

It's kind of split.
The safe is safer, and the violent has more splatter.

As opposed to Tom and Jerry, which was a violent kids show.
(Not enough to really cause an issue, just enough for the vocal minority to spasm over.)

Comparing Family Guy to Tom and Jerry, for instance, Tom and Jerry had more violence, but Family Guy has violence that's more graphic and gorey.

Really? As I remembered, the amount of gun, violence, and sex on Loony Toons were far greater than any (children) cartoon today. Today, cartoons can't even show any real guns without complaints from parents.

Now, if you're talking Family Guy and South Park, then yes, probably. Although, those shows are intended for mature audiences, unlike Loony Toons.

Woodland Critter Christmas. That is all.

No, we need more cartoons like Invader Zim, Tom&Jerry, The road runner and Samurai Jack
Now all i see on cartoon network are some pussy ass shows lke Ben ten

Heck no. Cartoons have actually gotten tamer since the likes of Looney Tunes and even the stuff from the 80's and 90's. That's western cartoons of course. I'm guessing this ignorant parent is under the misguided western misconceptions that animation = cartoon = for children, which is also WRONG!

[Kira Must Die]:
Really? As I remembered, the amount of gun, violence, and sex on Loony Toons were far greater than any (children) cartoon today. Today, cartoons can't even show any real guns without complaints from parents.

Now, if you're talking Family Guy and South Park, then yes, probably. Although, those shows are intended for mature audiences, unlike Loony Toons.

That's a good point; they're both 14+ where I am.

Hmm haven't watched TV in about 9 months so no idea about American cartoons but with the recent trend of "Everything under the sun turns my kid into a serial killer" I'm going to assume less violent than they used to be.

EDIT: Ah yes I forgot to mention that is under the category of childrens cartoons. As for adult animations(because it sounds more professional) I could only imagine more violent considering the acceptance its been earning through out a more adult audience.

I don't think so. By older cartoons I'm thinking of Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, and Looney Toons. There were so many guns, chopping-up, explosions, violence, etc. in those (classic) cartoons. Today's cartoons, while they have the slap-stick comedy of mindlessly beating people up, there's no where near as much violence on them.

I think today's cartoons are much more tame. Not a lot of violence, can't show a gun that actually looks like an actual gun, no objects sharper than a crayon, all that.

There needs to be more of the un-tamed-ed-ness. I knew back when Roadrunner dominated my TV that it was full of it, and I knew the difference between cartoons and real life.

Have you ever watched a Tom N' Jerry cartoon?

Well, seeing as the Violent ones of today aren't meant for the young, whereas

Luke5515:
Tom and Jerry violently attacked each other. choped each other to bits, blew each other up, etc.

I would have to ask if they mean Kids Cartoons or Cartoons in general.

Kids Cartoons, much Tamer

In general, Hapy Tree Friends prevents me from saying they've gotten Tamer

Flap Jack isn't very violent :0

This is the intro to a show I used to watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx23F5mjlC0&feature=related
The first 10 seconds should tell you that cartoons are much tamer (and a lot less dark) than the old days.

Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Tom and Jerry.

Almost all of the cartoons before were more violent.
Then again, most of the stuff today is total shit anyway.

No they are not. It's just people couldn't deal with the fact that daffy could get shot in the face and all the would happen is his bill spin all the way around

I wouldn't say "they're to violent." I'd say, our tolerance in social norms of violence is higher than ever before. Between the internet, and the movie industries need to SHOCK (Saw series, for starters) their audience, we've become a very desensitized society. People in this society are making cartoons, and some of that carries over. Cartoon violence is getting ramped up, because it needs to grip people. Look at cartoons from the 1980's, or even old Bugs Bunny (spacing on the company that produced-- Warner Bros!) Warner Brothers cartoons. The violence is tame by todays standards, because that same scale doesn't grip an audience the same as it used to.

So while violence in cartoons is increasing, I'd say our social tolerance for it is proportional.

Luke5515:
The good old days.

This is pretty much all you need to say. Those cartoons are over fifty years old and some of the stuff they do was way worse than anything shown today. True, there was never blood or anything, but Tom got sliced and smashed and shot and everything else all the time. You can say the same thing about Looney Toons, but I think I've turned out fine after a childhood full of them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa- Cartoons are more violent these days?

Are... are you kidding?
If there's any Cartoon Violence nowadays parents rage... I remember when bad-guys in cartoons would get choped into bits and shot with lazors a hundred times.... Now they just get thrown around a bit and put in jail...
It may just be nostalgia but, Cartoons in general are just getting more horrible and horrible. The only good Cartoons these days are Flapjack and Chowder, but they don't redeem most the cartoons they're showing....

I remember good cartoons... Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, Invader Zim, Jonny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Megas XLR... Ect.
What happened?

At least Pixar is still cool.

Theyre not violent at all compare spongebob to ren and stimpy

No way in hell, unless these are the parents who's kid got a copy of Elfen Lied and considered it cartoons...

Then again, I wouldn't put that past some parents...

From my experience, the volume of violence between cartoons of yesteryear and today is pretty much the same, the major difference is depictions between consequences of said violence.

As has been previously mentioned Tom and Jerry was almost nonstop violence, often pretty damn brutal. Being chopped into pieces, smashed with all manner of heavy objects, etc. The consequences, except in very rare cases, didn't extend past that particular encounter with said object of violence.

Cartoons today may be more likely to depict more graphic details, but I highly doubt they are any more violence filled.

faceless chick:
So, i read today a topic about cartoons on another forum and a parent complained that cartoons on tv are too violent these days.

I myself think american cartoons at least are way more tame than they used to be in the 80s or 90s.

What do you think?

edit: ugh the post got published before i finished the poll. does anyone know how to edit it (the edit button isn't working right)

Which cartoons specifically?

Not really, Bugs Bunny faced a firing squad at least once. I don't recall that ever happening to Spongebob.

If by cartoons you mean shows that are geared towards children, hell no! Tom and Jerry, mentioned above, is far more violent than..damnit, what do kids watch these days? Spongebob? Whatever...
On the other hand, there are animated shows that are geared towards older teens, like anime, or towards twats, like Family Guy (which I still find funny, oddly enough). Yes, those can be quite violent...

Considering that Tom & Jerry is apparently objectionable to get banned in Australia (OK, not much of an achievement, but still), I'd say there's no way they're too violent. Of course, this is someone who'd show Baccano and Eva uncensored if put in charge of Cartoon Network, so maybe I'm skewed.

I would complain that they're getting less violent, and feel it's funny to repeat stuff over and over again.

The good ol days of the road runner or Elmer Fudd we're much more violent then what we have today. Ex: Bob the Builder and PokeMans.

Cartoons are too tame these days. What kind of a world is it when Wolverine's claws are completely reserved for cutting through walls? Seriously, has anyone ever seen Wolverine actually use his claws for something other than cutting walls in any of the Xmen cartoons? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those things supposed to be his primary offensive weapons?

This is exactly why Japanese anime has been rising in popularity in the US, because they don't shy away from a little blood and gore, or sometimes a lot of blood and gore (Hellsing Ultimate, I'm looking at you here).

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked