Will Youtube be better off with the new like/ dislike system?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

After the Youtube update you can like/dislike the videos. You can also do so with individual comments. If you like them it makes them more relevant and moves them up for more people to see.

Sounds good right? Well, this is Youtube we're talking about. I just watched a boxing video and the most liked was like 'ni**er be knocked out, lol!' with 5 positive votes at the top of the comments. Racism seems to be liked as always in the Youtube's piss-swamp. Will this system worsen Youtube's chronic stupidity or will it put good comments/videos on top?

Let me just say this here. Youtube is the worst (noticeable) online community there is. Worse than 4 chan, or Something Awful or Gamefaqs. As a video sharing website it's fine, but as a community, you could not do worse, unless you search for bad communities intentionally. I should know, I spent 2 years with that as my only community before I found this place. I almost quit the internet because of it. The amount of racists, misogynists and obviously mentally ill people is beyond belief. I once saw a page that advocated a systematic killing of every non-white person in the country (UK). Its comment board was filled with literally thousands of messages of support.

Basically, what I'm saying is, no amount of cosmetic improvements will change the fact that youtube contains some of the worst people on the internet in it. In fact, it might even make it more abhorrent.

Remember now, these are the people who deified Fred.

Given the sheer stupidity of a sizable portion of YouTube's "community", I suppose it will probably worsen it unless the rest of the community actually combat the trolls and haters that roam the site.

The previous system was good enough. We should be given a choice between this new system and the old one by way of selecting it in account options or something, not be forced to use the new one. The old one was more than adequate, and it was easily straight-forward.

No. Youtube has gone bad, VERY VERY BAD!

YouTube would have to dispense diamonds onto my keyboard before my experience would be measurably improved.

On the plus side, it's actually not a terrible place to be a video hoster, although the completely nuts moderation policies and extremely selective enforcement gets a bit silly.

Yeah, plus there are other changes I'm not too fond of. On the side where other videos are, where the related videos are supposed to go, I was watching Mock the Week videos, and of the 20 videos, only 4 were actually related to Mock the Week. On the list right after those 4? Justin Bieber. I hate Justin Bieber. He is the farthest thing from Mock the Week as possible. It like they are trying to aim where viewers go to people or companies that pay for the upper placement, something that was avoidable before, but with only 4 other videos from non-paying users, it limits viewing potential. Not good.

I liked watching videos on it. The rating system now is shit. Not all videos are 5 stars or no stars. You know thats why it had a 5 star rating system.... It's a shit layout the commuinity is saturated with arseholes as you are completely anonymous. Not my sort of commuinity thanks.

Brotherofwill:
After the Youtube update you can like/dislike the videos. You can also do so with individual comments. If you like them it makes them more relevant and moves them up for more people to see.

Sounds good right? Well, this is Youtube we're talking about. I just watched a boxing video and the most liked was like 'ni**er be knocked out, lol!' with 5 positive votes at the top of the comments. Racism seems to be liked as always in the Youtube's piss-swamp. Will this system worsen Youtube's chronic stupidity or will it put good comments/videos on top?

Not sure about the comment section but...

I was making a thread and I was trying to access one of my videos as proof. It took damn near forever to open my videos, copy the link and paste on my thread. I tried linking it but it took forever. So I tired embedding it and it worked for the most part, but loaded so damn slow. So far, I hate it.

I firmly believe that whatever youtube does no matter how positive it is, the impact of their changes will be demonstrated through their community which i think and we all realize is an extremely mixed bag filled mostly of just horrid people. Although there are a few positive people.. i still like the 'idea' of the new system

This was the original system before the star system. The new video layout is incredibly ugly and difficult to navigate. And the new rating system already has a bug and you can rate up your own videos.

I dont like the new layout, the old one was fine. Why did they have to fix something that wasn't broken.

vaderaider:
I dont like the new layout, the old one was fine. Why did they have to fix something that wasn't broken.

I think this was mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXDKAN7sss

Ummmm,no,just no.

I dislike the new layout, I dislike the new rating system, and I especially dislike the new Beta channels that they thought necessary for all users to have. My "related videos" are not even related to the stuff I like to watch either, or at best only tangentally related. With each "improvement" it gets worse.

Wait. When did this happen? It wasn't like this earlier today.

.... I don't like change.

It's horrible. I also like how they're using ceiling cat as a default for video screeshots that haven't processed fully yet or have been deleted. Nothing shows you're in tough with the youth like using a almost four year old meme.

What will happen now is that people want to have their comments 'liked' so more people will see them, therefore they will make multiple accounts/get friends to rate them and it just defeats the whole purpose. Youtube doesn't realise how crap its community is.

Did they even need to change anything?

EDIT: Also, it's now like every comment section is like the RWJ ones, everyone trying to 1-up the guy before them.

I like it, but I'm not too sure about the comments overhaul.

Furburt:
Let me just say this here. Youtube is the worst (noticeable) online community there is. Worse than 4 chan, or Something Awful or Gamefaqs. As a video sharing website it's fine, but as a community, you could not do worse, unless you search for bad communities intentionally. I should know, I spent 2 years with that as my only community before I found this place. I almost quit the internet because of it. The amount of racists, misogynists and obviously mentally ill people is beyond belief. I once saw a page that advocated a systematic killing of every non-white person in the country (UK). Its comment board was filled with literally thousands of messages of support.

Basically, what I'm saying is, no amount of cosmetic improvements will change the fact that youtube contains some of the worst people on the internet in it. In fact, it might even make it more abhorrent.

Remember now, these are the people who deified Fred.

I'm sorry, you have tainted these message boards with the mention of the destroyer of internet intelligence, Fred. All record of this conversation must be purged!

Hm, I thought this was just a one day kind of deal. Since it's April 1st and all that.

If it isn't then crap. I hate the new layout.

Uhh there was always the like/dislike for comments and as for videos I think its an improvement. I hate the new layout though.

Jannycats:
Hm, I thought this was just a one day kind of deal. Since it's April 1st and all that.

Ya it isnt, its been in beta for a long time you were able to switch to it somehow.

Youtube constantly changes with its 'clusterfuck layout' so constantly that I just stopped reacting to it.

Gmod Idiot Box is awesome though, so I kinda NEED to go there so I do realise and get pissed off every single time!

depends cos i intend to spam through all their videos and spam dislike, all the time.... :D but then im not very nice so yeah

They need someone to weed out the trolls and rickrollers, this like/dislike is just a stop pass until they do something productive.

Youtube is one of the best places to troll.

And yes, the new layout is really quite bad. Advertisements are also getting worse, I think I saw one in German.

I generally dislike the new layout(although I'm getting mixed feelings about the like/dislike system-although it sucks you HAVE to vote to view ratings)-boxes are screwed, they apparently tried to make exclude linings and make everything white, which makes it all quite ugly IMO. Then again I lost faith in their design decisions ever since they removed icons relative to my inbox...

Furburt:
I spent 2 years with that as my only community before I found this place.

How in god's name could you stand it more than 2 minutes?! 95% of posters on those videos are so rage inducing I want to reach through the monitor and strangle them until they bleed from their ears.

...I guess the point is I don't like youtube comments? :p

There's only 1 good thing about Youtube and that's that it has some decent videos, but it is by far the worst internet community.

The people are racist, conservitive idiots most the time and while there are some cool people, they are signifigantly out numbered by the amount of people who think Fred is funny and 12 year old girls who won't shut up about the Jonas Brothers.

Seriously, just go on 1 video for them and look at the comments. I guarantee they'll make you want to shoot someone.

Furburt:
Let me just say this here. Youtube is the worst (noticeable) online community there is. Worse than 4 chan, or Something Awful or Gamefaqs. As a video sharing website it's fine, but as a community, you could not do worse, unless you search for bad communities intentionally.

The nail has been struck right on the head by our very own Furburt here. Youtube - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious. With that in mind, remember that even in good communities these kinds of ratings systems don't work. They do nothing but institute "mob rule" to a place, and give people the chance to follow people they don't like around and mark down everything they do, and not be brought to account for it. A trolls dream. It is also a cyberstalkers dream, as people who say the right things and get one of the creepy internet followings will get people marking them up even if they announce their intention to feast on the blood of babies.

In short, this is going to make youtube even more crappy.

Samurai Goomba:
YouTube would have to dispense diamonds onto my keyboard before my experience would be measurably improved.

On the plus side, it's actually not a terrible place to be a video hoster, although the completely nuts moderation policies and extremely selective enforcement gets a bit silly.

Yep, they go out of they're way to get the EXACT videos(amvs in particular) that I like and take them down...bastards!

PayJ567:
I liked watching videos on it. The rating system now is shit. Not all videos are 5 stars or no stars. You know thats why it had a 5 star rating system.... It's a shit layout the commuinity is saturated with arseholes as you are completely anonymous. Not my sort of commuinity thanks.

Seriously...thats fucking retarded. EITHER YOU LOVE IT OR HATE IT CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

Chrissyluky:

vaderaider:

I think this was mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXDKAN7sss

...I've never had that happen to me.

Jannycats:

It was up yesterday so...

OT: Frankly I don't care about half of this shit but I'm angry for one reason!

I used bloody youtube to listen to music in a playlist with an option to randomize!!!! the new playlist system is beyond shitty and that ladys and gentlemen is why I am angry with this.
But surprisingly this isn't enough to ruin my very happy mood :)

Say what you want, I like the new YouTube layout. Once people get used to it, they'll stop complaining. I find it as an easier layout than the previous one. Much cleaner.

Youtube sucks. Get that in your head. the new layout better be an april fools joke, if not, the sight has given away it's last good mark. (video layout) I hate "thumbs up" and "thumbs down", why do we have to go back to bare basics?

Alucard 11189:
I dislike the new layout, I dislike the new rating system, and I especially dislike the new Beta channels that they thought necessary for all users to have. My "related videos" are not even related to the stuff I like to watch either, or at best only tangentally related. With each "improvement" it gets worse.

My thoughts exactly. Either it gives me stuff that I may have already seen, or something totally unrelated. I also like how with the "improvement" what I can't watch half the videos that I've got in my favourites and playlists /obvious sarcasm.

I steer clear of youtube at all costs.

It's just... bad.

So umm... no?

Even if it gets better(which it won't), it still won't be tolerable.

youtube, facebook, myspace, twitter, these are sites to be ignored. They can't be "fixed" because they're making more money than god.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked