Kids Shows Suck Today

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

As a child growing up in the early 90s I spent my days watching Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, VR Troopers, Beetleborgs and, slightly later, Spongebob Squarepants, Fairly Odd Parents, Pokemon and Digimon (I still watch Spongebob and Pokemon to this day and I turn 20 in 3 weeks)
I feel so sorry for the kids of today who missed out on all those amaaaazing shows

Soviet Heavy:
Anyone else notice this? I remember when I still watched kids shows, and they actually tried to teach kids stuff. What was cool was that these shows still appeal to me now, because they were designed to be shown to both kids and their parents, who would get little adult jokes thrown in.

But now, now kids shows just suck! I find that a lot of them are an insult to intelligence. They seem to not realize that kids can be smart. So you have absolute shit shows like Animal Mechanicals, or the show with the retarded talking dog doing utter bullshit that has no relevance or morals to speak of.

Anyone here remember Arthur? The show with the anthropomorphic animal children? Yeah, it was great back when I was a kid. But now, the newer episodes are just pathetic. I can't find anything appealing about this whatsoever.

Why do kids shows suck?

I wouldn't bash Animal Mechanicals, it's pretty big in Canada (but yes compared to kid shows of the 90s it does suck) we had Popular Mechanics for kids!

Soviet Heavy:
Did anyone here watch Thomas the Tank Engine as a kid? Remember that show, how awesome the trains were? How cool it was with all the little miniature electric trains running around on awesome sets?

That was 90's Thomas.

This is the abomination it has become.

CGI ruins it completely.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! OH GOD! TURN IT OFF!

...(Cough) Anyway... Kids shows, and just about anything "made for kids" (with the exception of Pixar films) is that they don't even try, they just throw a bunch of colorful shiny things on screen with content that is so politially correct and safe it makes me want to puke. In the 90's, the old Looney Tunes, and other similar stuff could entertain the adult and child viewer while insulting the intellegence of neither. Don't believe me? Youtube Animainacs, you won't believe what they got away with/what content you didn't catch on to when you were a child.

aruseusx:

My favourite Spongebob episode is the one when they try to sell chocolate.

Also anyone remeber Beast Wars and how awesome that was.

Airrazor (When seeing beaten up predacons) - Looks like the grunge look is making a return.

EDIT - Beast Wars was full of sexual innuendo, especialy the scenes with silvabolt, rattrap and blackarachnia.

Beast Wars was fucking awesome!

Also, did you say...chocolate?

I don't know about your countries, but some time ago, they banned Teletubbies in germany, because little kids started to talk weird.

And it's true, nowadays, no show seems to have any educational value. Children aren't young humans anymore, they are just little larvae that need to be protected because the universe revolves around them.
/sarcasm

On Verizon On demand the have the old X-men and Spider man show under Disney XD =D!

GrizzlyCow:

I posted something about this on page 3. You're comparing a show three years-old watch to Looney Toons and acting like you have a valid point. If you want to compare, choose shows that target the same demographic. Y'know, like Ben 10. Now you get a comparison as so:

We used to watch shit where a duck and a rabbit would try to convince a hunter that it was the other species' season, and the duck would always end up getting shot.
What do we have now? A boy who can transform into about thirteen different aliens and battles against a big bag menace. The show always had copious amounts of violence....

Weird, when we compare them...

Maybe I should clarify. Back in the day when all (or nearly all) cartoons were like Looney Toons, they didn't have multiple target audiences in mind when making a show; they made the shows for all viewers instead of a select group.

Now, however, they've split up the audiences. Ben 10 falls into the category of Looney Toons-styled cartoons, true, but shows like that are being aimed at kids of around 8+. And instead of aiming shows like that at the younger kids, they're making crap like Dora the Explorer.

Quiet Stranger:

Soviet Heavy:
Anyone else notice this? I remember when I still watched kids shows, and they actually tried to teach kids stuff. What was cool was that these shows still appeal to me now, because they were designed to be shown to both kids and their parents, who would get little adult jokes thrown in.

But now, now kids shows just suck! I find that a lot of them are an insult to intelligence. They seem to not realize that kids can be smart. So you have absolute shit shows like Animal Mechanicals, or the show with the retarded talking dog doing utter bullshit that has no relevance or morals to speak of.

Anyone here remember Arthur? The show with the anthropomorphic animal children? Yeah, it was great back when I was a kid. But now, the newer episodes are just pathetic. I can't find anything appealing about this whatsoever.

Why do kids shows suck?

I wouldn't bash Animal Mechanicals, it's pretty big in Canada (but yes compared to kid shows of the 90s it does suck) we had Popular Mechanics for kids!

I am Canadian, and Animal Mechanicals still sucks. Its like Transformers for retarded children.

Also, anyone here watch Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles? Yeah, they made a kids show based off of an extremely bloody interpretation of a military Science Fiction novel. And it was awesome.

Hazy:

Furburt:

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.

Completely and utterly this.

Take another one, Courage the Cowardly Dog:

You could never, ever, EVER show this today.

The mixture of pedophilia/psychotic undertones today would make parents break out in a cold sweat.

Back in the 90's? They showed this shit all the time.

You've been naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaughty

I love Chowder, but mostly I have to agree. Oh, Total Drama Island was pretty good too...

cernik:

Hazy:

Furburt:

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.

The mixture of pedophilia/psychotic undertones today would make parents break out in a cold sweat.

You've been naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaughty

They started playing Courage again recently...

Zayren:

Well don't just stand there! Out with it!

Let's hear some times!

Soviet Heavy:

Hazy:

Dear god, I remember that episode! Freaky as hell now, but back then, I laughed my ass off.

If he spells 'naughty' as d-o-g, then he needs to get a fucking dictionary.

You just noticed this? Jeez, the only good one that I can think of is Fairly OddParents. Remember Tom and Jerry? Remember Johny Bravo? Ed Edd and Eddy? I.R. Ferret? Anybody remember how fucking hilarious and well thought out they were? God I miss the old days when everything was good.

Hazy:

Zayren:

image snip
Well don't just stand there! Out with it!

Let's hear some times!

According to Cartoon Network's website, 2:30 and 3:00 PM on Saturdays. It was on after school (3:30 PM-ish) a few months ago, but now they have the shit Garfield cartoon on...

Also! I dunno if anyone here saw the Adventure Time early episode or whatever they were doing, but it didn't seem so bad. I didn't like the animation style, but I'm pretty sure it said damn once.

Hazy:

Furburt:

LemonLife:

God i miss this show so much, and i found out somthing funny, remember Gundam wing? remember how awesome that show was? well, they wont show it again because of "Terrorism" TERRORISM! think about how redundent that is.

SweetLemonade:

Sonicron:

Hazy:
-le SNIP-

Reminds me of the days when Cartoon Network was still worth a damn. Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Dexter's Laboratory, ... there was so much freaky shit going down in those shows, always merrily skipping along the edge of a razor balanced on a white shark's nose, and yet they constantly used material that was designed to at least get kids to ask their parents about, like how to make cheese, the Fountain of Youth, the law of gravity and so on.

Nowadays we get braindead shows about drug-addled ferrets.

I totally agree with you.Nowadays the shows are themed too child like,no more adult-themes.Oh the good old days of dexter,edd ed n eddy,johny bravo and so on.

I miss animaniacs and courage the cowardly dog too...

Gladion:
Read what LemonLife said a few more times, because I think you didn't quite get the "take off your nostalgia glasses" bit. Which is a shame, because that's absolutely right. Don't tell me your parents didn't say "your shows are shit, better watch some of the stuff I watched as a kid".

I never got that out of my family...but I was the kid who sat in her bedroom trying to beat Sonic for the 5th time that week...so I'm pretty sure that my knowledge of kid's shows doesn't count. But the one show I did watch was Ed, Edd, and Eddy...I miss that show...

Soviet Heavy:

Quiet Stranger:

Soviet Heavy:

Why do kids shows suck?

I am Canadian, and Animal Mechanicals still sucks. Its like Transformers for retarded children.

Also, anyone here watch Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles? Yeah, they made a kids show based off of an extremely bloody interpretation of a military Science Fiction novel. And it was awesome.

Well we had some pretty retarded shows when we were kids too

Okay, I'm sick and tired of people offering the almighty word "nostalgia" as an excuse of why a lot of stuff sucks nowadays.

The truth is, is that things are too simple or too 'pure' in this day and age. Compare Zim to Johnny Test (Oh, how I despise the latter.) and you'll see a distinct difference. Zim had the 'zaniness' that cartoons have always been offered for children since the 90's, but it often went deeper for it's older viewers, to the point where adults would like it every now and then. Johnny Test is nothing but a tired, old whore of cliches and stupidity (and not the funny Ren & Stimpy kind, either) that somehow gets approved for new seasons.

As a better piece of proof, check out that old Rudolph Christmas Special they air every November-January, usually on ABC Family, Cartoon Network, etc. You know, the one with Ukon Cornelius, the prospector who was looking for silver and gold, (sp) and Hermes, that maybe he is, maybe he isn't homosexual elf who wanted to be a dentist. My dad was a kid when that came out, and he still watches it religiously, as I do alongside him and the rest of our family. Do we make fun of certain parts of it? (Nobody wants to hear that one song near the beginning where the doe sings, I'm sorry.) And we also notice certain things in the show where something is off compared to today's standards, like how Rudolph's dad is obviously sexist when it comes to looking for Rudolph, as he even says "No, this is man's work!" to his wife. (Another example of this is that we noticed that The Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz is holding a revolver when they're first starting their mission to go kill the witch.)

Now watch A Miser Bros Christmas (The 'sequel' to another holiday classic, A Year Without A Santa Claus). It's total, and utter garbage! Within the first 5 minutes, you can tell it has been dumb'd down to the point of utter stupidity in every aspect of it's plot, etc.

As a personal example,I grew up in the 90's (born 1993). I watched the rise and fall of Cartoon Network's and Nick's golden ages, I have seen The Goodburger Movie, I have watched movies from as early as the 20's since I was 2, and I have become a theater, trivia, cinema, tv, etc buff from extensive research and believing in trying everything out at least once, just to be fair when it comes to judgment. (Seriously, you do NOT want to watch Jeopardy! with me.)

Now, about a year ago, I was watching a show on Cartoon Network. It had people called Sky knights in it, and it was so horrible that I don't even remember the title. The only reason I used to watch it is because I saw glimpses of Beast Wars in it. Now, dad walks in, sits down (he's always tried to try everything once with me), but after 15 minutes, he sits up and says, "What the fuck is this shit?" I didn't try to defend it, as arguing with my dad when he's in a rant is fruitless, but after a bit of his raving, he leaves and goes into the basement. When he comes up, he has a VHS Box Set of Married...With Children. He tells me he watched this when he was a young man, and you know what? It was a thousand times better. I can only thank God that Comedy Central plays it regularly now.

So, in conclusion, I am just as susceptible to nostalgia as others, but unlike a lot of people, I am able to admit that it is not the issue, and that quality has indeed gone down. Just a few days ago, my friends offered for us to go see the new Clash of the Titans. We saw it, and we thought it was average, maybe below compared to a lot of action flicks of the present. Driving home, one of us points out that we had only ever seen the beginning to the original Clash of the Titans in English Class. So, we go to Blockbuster, rent it, get to my house, and watch it from start to finish. And again, the old times proved better.

That's not to say that I am a complete proponent of everything done in the 80's, etc. In fact, I think that's where society started falling apart and culture began to degrade, at least in the United States.

Me? I'm more of a 50's-60's kind of guy.

Peace.

-LnP

Hazy:

Furburt:

LemonLife:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
i remember that episode. i always wondered what was going on, and now i know!

Our generation of entertainment is over,friend. We had our laughs ,smiles ,tears , and occasionally screams of terror. Now let the new generations for of entertainment set in for them. Things can't always stay the same, No matter how badly we want it to. I'm sure after the new generation has their fun, and a new one comes, They will frown upon the new form of entertainment.

My Philosophy on an excellent KID'S SHOW.

"A good cartoon is one that you can enjoy as an adult because it's still great." -SkullCap-

Kid's got nothing. Absolutely nothing. Anything average will be considered a classic by the younger generation when they reach around their late teens.

My Generation
I was born in 1990 and I was exposed to reruns of the 80s shows like TMNT, GI Joe; reruns of Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Boomerang, etc.

Nicktoons, Cartoon Network (before it sold it soul to the Devil of Mediocrity, Disney Channel, Kids WB, FOX Kids, etc.

In my opinion the greatest cartoon is STILL Batman: The Animated Series.

2000s Generation
Dora the Explorer, Chowder, Ben 10, Flapjack, CN Real, Nick-Sitcom Central, Disney (pure garbage), 4Kids (rapist of Japanese anime dubbing), and that tripe for toddlers: Yo Gabba Gabba.

Worthless trash

I don't know so much that it is children's programming, but a lot of modern television shows stink. Take for example anything on Bravo on a given day, or MTV for that matter. I grew up with He-Man and the Transformers and Mask and the old Chuck Norris cartoons... I didn't latch on to Spongebob until I was about 20 or 21 (just happened to be how that worked out in the time continuum) and I was just home from work one morning and getting toasted and flipping around and landed on the show. About a decade later and I'm still watching Spongebob... even the new episodes they premired last week were still pretty good. But I know what you are saying... kid's cartoons really do suck these days. Thank goodness for Adult Swim!

The only kids show that I find still good is Winnie the Pooh. He has a special place in my heart.

Everything else now might as well be wallpaper paste. Winnie the Pooh has honey. And we can all agree honey > wallpaper paste.

Soviet Heavy:
Did anyone here watch Thomas the Tank Engine as a kid? Remember that show, how awesome the trains were? How cool it was with all the little miniature electric trains running around on awesome sets?

That was 90's Thomas.

This is the abomination it has become.

CGI ruins it completely.

I have no idea why they went with CG. I mean, one of the things that made Thomas the Tank Engine what it was, was the train sets. Even when they digitised the engines faces and the the people (making them move, oh, and the jingle. WHy the hell did they need a jingle?), it still had the train sets so it was tolerable. But going CG seems to loose a lot of that which made the show unique. This is fixing something that wasn't broken.

GrizzlyCow:

bartman675:
kids show suck because they have to be as politically correct and non-offense as possible, so all the good bits had to be cut out to keep from offending someone.
George Carlin(this one struck as odd)

You haven't seen much Chowder or Flapjack, have you?

They can get very "offensive" at times, especially Flapjack.

i have seen chowder that show is funny and a acid trip - side note the main catering company the shows focuses on sort of looks like a bong just watch and see

I know it is quite hard to tell because of nostalgia, so I tried to compare newer series to older ones (like from when my dad was young) and I'd still say the new ones are rubbish. You know, I'm seriously worried about what the Hannah Montana generation will do to the world.

Amethyst Wind:

D Bones:
Ren and Stimpy

Ren and Stimpy has never been a kid's show. Ever.

But on the other hand, it's awesome

OT: Yeah, I can relate to this. Turn on Nickelodeon for maybe a half hour and you'll see what he means . . .

Soviet Heavy:

Hazy:

Dear god, I remember that episode! Freaky as hell now, but back then, I laughed my ass off.

Ah, Good Times, Good Times, watched it before going to bed.

Tom and Jerry, Transformers, Flintstones , Winnie The P00h(YES IT'S STILL GOOD) all the good ol' classics.

Not all of them are bad. It's just that now we are all older so we aren't used to the new styles of cartoons now and don't have that same nostalgia we are all used to. Something like that anyway, it depends on what you guys are comparing it to, not once in the first two pages have I seen any examples of new childrens shows that are bad.

Sesame Street is still on and they're still awesome

I was a kid during the "Golden Era" of children's television but looking back and trying to watch the cartoons and shows they have out there now its just terrible and I can't do it.

Nowadays I have been seeing things like derivitives of pokemon and digimon. And a million other rip offs.

Grounogeos:

GrizzlyCow:

I posted something about this on page 3. You're comparing a show three years-old watch to Looney Toons and acting like you have a valid point. If you want to compare, choose shows that target the same demographic. Y'know, like Ben 10. Now you get a comparison as so:

We used to watch shit where a duck and a rabbit would try to convince a hunter that it was the other species' season, and the duck would always end up getting shot.
What do we have now? A boy who can transform into about thirteen different aliens and battles against a big bag menace. The show always had copious amounts of violence....

Weird, when we compare them...

Maybe I should clarify. Back in the day when all (or nearly all) cartoons were like Looney Toons, they didn't have multiple target audiences in mind when making a show; they made the shows for all viewers instead of a select group.

Now, however, they've split up the audiences. Ben 10 falls into the category of Looney Toons-styled cartoons, true, but shows like that are being aimed at kids of around 8+. And instead of aiming shows like that at the younger kids, they're making crap like Dora the Explorer.

I'm glad I was born in the 90s; I dislike the Looney Toons-styled cartoons. Not only do I find them mostly not funny but offensive (not offensive as in the Moral Guardian sense, but offensive as in the "Coon"-sense).

Anyway, I digress, you're bullshit, and your argument is bullshit:
1st) Dora the Explorer's targeted demographic is toddlers and young children. Looney Toons-styled cartoons' targeted demographic are preadolescences and up. Dora the Explorer carters to an extremely specific demographic, and Looney Toons appeals to a larger group. It is reasonable that you don't like because--pay attention now--because you were not meant to like it! Comparing the two shows your bias.
2nd) Like I mentioned before, it all boils down to your opinion. Yeah, you liked cartoons from a time ago, and yeah, people here seems to agree with that. Don't take it as a fact that cartoons' quality is in decline. It is your opinion that cartoons back then were better than cartoons today. The whole subject is bullshit because the whole matter is subjective. This thread is for people to bitch about shows on today that they don't like.
3rd) Looney Toons wasn't a kids show. It was a cartoon for young adults (young men to be exact), but most people apparently thought it was okay for their children to watch. When I asked before, it was rhetorical.
4th) This thread is probably a flamebait when I think about it. The subject matter is too subjective to have any discussion over. The OP must have been a troll. It's that, or he was some idiot bitching about kids shows today because they don't pander to his opinions.

I might be put in probation because of this post. Oh, well, I guess...

Remember Johnny Bravo? One of the guys who worked on that went on to become Seth McFarlane, and made Family Guy and American Dad.

Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy at least ended with some closure (feature length episode where Eddy finds his brother, awesome way to end it)

If you live in the UK, you can watch all the old cartoons on Cartoon Network at about 2AM on a show called 'Cartoon Cartoons'

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked