Do you think hype on games movies etc is ruining the overall experiance?
Yes
42.1% (56)
42.1% (56)
No
28.6% (38)
28.6% (38)
Don't know
2.3% (3)
2.3% (3)
You enjoyed twilight! WTF you being smokin
24.1% (32)
24.1% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Hype ruining everythink?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ok then last night i watched Iron man the first time mainly cause the 2nd one looks intresting and after my mate has being bugging me for years about how its the greatest comic book movie ever created...in short it didn't come close.

Now im not saying Iron man is a bad film its good but its not the best comic book film ive seen.

This being said for the dark knight in my opinion it was to overhyped because of heath ledgers death.

So is this a rant on comic films no not really.

Ok twilight<<<yes that.

I went to see the first one before it was overhyped (i read the books a year before the movie was confirmed) and i actually enjoyed it but the sequel i thought was way overhyped.

Now avatar loads of people said it was the worst movie ever made and one of my mates said "It was good worth a watch in 3D" After going to see it and enjoying it we both spoke how awesome we found it.

The only movie which kept its epic hype up was transformers.

In gaming. Bioshock 2 the game hadnt even come out and i had already finished it after wasting 7 hours playing on it bored out of my head (i ordered it and it came a day early) so i ended up selling it. Where as mass effect 1 a game i got told was the worst bioware game i really did enjoy.

Ok before i rant on to long and lose the point.

Feel free to say if you agree or disagree.

To be completely honest, it irritates me when someone's entire reason for disliking something comes down to, "it was too hyped up."

Here's the thing: if a movie or game is good, the movie or game is freaking good. The quality of any work of art should not in any way be dependent on what other people think, how it was advertised, or how many TV spots you saw before it released. If it's good, it's good: basing judgement on hype is stupid.

And who told you Mass Effect was the worst Bioware game? Beyond that, "worst Bioware game" could still be considered one of the best games ever made. They're just awesome like that.

Hype is created by people, not the game or movie itself. If you let a game or movie get ruined by hype, it's your own fault for not being clever enough to ignore the hype. I learned my lesson with Spore.

Legend of J:
Ok then last night i watched Iron man the first time mainly cause the 2nd one looks intresting and after my mate has being bugging me for years about how its the greatest comic book movie ever created...in short it didn't come close.

Now im not saying Iron man is a bad film its good but its not the best comic book film ive seen.

This being said for the dark knight in my opinion it was to overhyped because of heath ledgers death.

Ok twilight<<<yes that.

I went to see the first one before it was overhyped (i read the books a year before the movie was confirmed) and i actually enjoyed it but the sequel i thought was way overhyped.

Now avatar loads of people said it was the worst movie ever made and one of my mates said "It was good worth a watch in 3D" After going to see it and enjoying it we both spoke how awesome we found it.

In gaming. Bioshock 2 the game hadnt even come out and i had already finished it after wasting 7 hours playing on it bored out of my head (i ordered it and it came a day early) so i ended up selling it. Where as mass effect 1 a game i got told was the worst bioware game i really did enjoy.

wh...what did I just read? =(

Thaius:
To be completely honest, it irritates me when someone's entire reason for disliking something comes down to, "it was too hyped up."

Here's the thing: if a movie or game is good, the movie or game is freaking good. The quality of any work of art should not in any way be dependent on what other people think, how it was advertised, or how many TV spots you saw before it released. If it's good, it's good: basing judgement on hype is stupid.

And who told you Mass Effect was the worst Bioware game? Beyond that, "worst Bioware game"
could still be considered one of the best games ever made. They're just awesome like that.

My mate ben did ill tell you now as soon as i finished eden prime i rang him up and said "WHAT the hell you on about this games freakin epic"

Cowabungaa:
Hype is created by people, not the game or movie itself. If you let a game or movie get ruined by hype, it's your own fault for not being clever enough to ignore the hype. I learned my lesson with Spore.

Oh ive learnt my lesson with it like in future now if anyone says somethinks epic my response will be "Its only epic or shit till i see it".

Please, friend: They're called commas and dots. Use them. It's free.

On subject: If a movie is good, I like it. If it isn't, I don't. It's not like I enjoy it less than I would have otherwise just because it's been hyped.

Legend of J:

Cowabungaa:

Oh ive learnt my lesson with it like in future now if anyone says somethinks epic my response will be "Its only epic or shit till i see it".

Same, really. But I'm still hyped up about Iron Man 2, or Red Dead Redemption, or Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's quite a joyful and exciting thing to do, hyping, hence why it's so popular, but it's a separate thing and I won't let it cloud my judgement.

LOLCMONBRUH:

Legend of J:

Ok twilight<<<yes that.

wh...what did I just read? =(

Im guessing you mean the part about twilight trust me i think alot more people might of thought it was good. NOT AWESOME OR EPIC but good if it wasent hyped up so much you talk to most women now they seem to make it out as its the best thing since the lightbulb. But then you sit there and think ive read it...its not that good but its not as bad as most people who havent seen it says it is.

I think hype fills the time, instead of being bored for weeks, i can be HYPED for the release of the new fable (a very commonly hyped game) and research EVERY video, character, weapons, etc while the long, lonely wait passes by.

Cowabungaa:

Legend of J:

Cowabungaa:

Same, really. But I'm still hyped up about Iron Man 2, or Red Dead Redemption, or Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's quite a joyful and exciting thing to do, hyping, hence why it's so popular, but it's a separate thing and I won't let it cloud my judgement.

See iron man 2 im not as excited about now. Red dead looks good mainly cause all my mates hated the first one so they didn't do what they done with fable 2 "Fable 2 you can do everythink" Then when you play it, it isn't that great lol but still enjoyable.

I usually avoid hype, as it does tend to skew your opinion on things, for better or worse.

I try to only get hyped for things that have established a reputation for being good, even though that can lead to you getting burned as well. (I'm looking at you, Star Wars prequels.)

Take Red Dead Redemption, for instance... I enjoy Rockstar's previous open-world sandbox games, and they, in my opinion, have only improved with each outing. Thus, I am pumped for the release of this game.

Daipire:
I think hype fills the time, instead of being bored for weeks, i can be HYPED for the release of the new fable (a very commonly hyped game) and research EVERY video, character, weapons, etc while the long, lonely wait passes by.

Then they take aload of it out lol. See on fable 2 i was looking forward to seeing the people who acted out the adventres of the first game "deep in the forest" but in short do they even exist?.

You're close. It isn't hype. But the hype is there. The hype is mass marketing and advertising. It has to be there so every piece of media can earn a return on it's multi-million dollar investment.

Its something I was talking about recently and it's the reason I like 80's movies in general.

The costs of production with many types of media have grown exponentially over the years. Movies are a great example. These days, movies are averaging HUGE budgets- it's even happening to video games- such an enormous investment, that every facet of it becomes scrutinized, market tested, generalized, and tweaked for the largest possible sales numbers.

It isn't creative anymore, it's purely business.

You wind up with movies that cost tens of millions to make that aren't really bad but not necessarily good. Very bland. Very careful. Very unadventurous. Regurgitated, safe material that sells well enough to earn a return.

Not so long ago, when movies were often made for less than ten million dollars and did quite well, the creative license and artistic expression was there because the studios didn't have to live in fear of being bankrupted by expensive projects no one wanted to see. The price of media has been pretty constant over the years, over decades. You didn't need nearly as many people to pay up to earn a profit.

A nintendo game in 1986 cost me 50 or 60 bucks. It's not much different 24 years later. But the cost to produce them has skyrocketed. Everything is, much more careful, much more precise, soft and happy.

Consequently- I don't buy much media any more.

There will be a revival soon enough. The current model will not self-sustain indefinitely.

I think that sometimes it's true that hype can ruin a movie/game. Like idk... Daybreakers, Movie Bob sounded like it would decend from the heavens and dispense cake and blowjobs. (granted he'd just seen the second *cringe* Twilight *cringe* movie). I was a bit dissapointed actually when I went to see it (daybreakers I mean), so now I go by the Yahtzee formula of getting excited: if I get excited and the game is arse: suicide.
To sum up, sometimes hype can ruin things, that's why you really shouldn't get THAT excited.
Unless it's a release date or at least SOMETHING regarding Episode 3/Half-Life 3

King of the Sandbox:
I usually avoid hype, as it does tend to skew your opinion on things, for better or worse.

I try to only get hyped for things that have established a reputation for being good, even though that can lead to you getting burned as well. (I'm looking at you, Star Wars prequels.)

Take Red Dead Redemption, for instance... I enjoy Rockstar's previous open-world sandbox games, and they, in my opinion, have only improved with each outing. Thus, I am pumped for the release of this game.

What about gta4? see that was overhyped then i played it and i was like what? it was good but not the BEST gta 4 game lol.

Cowabungaa:

I know I already contributed to this conversation, but: quoted for truth.

Phenom828:
I think that sometimes it's true that hype can ruin a movie/game. Like idk... Daybreakers, Movie Bob sounded like it would decend from the heavens and dispense cake and blowjobs. (granted he'd just seen the second *cringe* Twilight *cringe* movie). I was a bit dissapointed actually when I went to see it (daybreakers I mean), so now I go by the Yahtzee formula of getting excited: if I get excited and the game is arse: suicide.
To sum up, sometimes hype can ruin things, that's why you really shouldn't get THAT excited.
Unless it's a release date or at least SOMETHING regarding Episode 3/Half-Life 3

See i feel episode 3 on half life may not be so great BUT ill still get it...OK im a valve fan boy at heart most of the time.

Legend of J:

King of the Sandbox:

What about gta4? see that was overhyped then i played it and i was like what? it was good but not the BEST gta 4 game lol.

In your opinion. I'm not defending mine anymore.

Sometimes movies deserve hype, sometimes they don't.
I doubt hype will ever disppear, it's a part of human culture to get stirred up into a group frenzy about things.

We bang on about being "individuals" but really, we're almost hive-minded.

xDarc:
You're close. It isn't hype. But the hype is there. The hype is mass marketing and advertising. It has to be there so every piece of media can earn a return on it's multi-million dollar investment.

Its something I was talking about recently and it's the reason I like 80's movies in general.

The costs of production with many types of media have grown exponentially over the years. Movies are a great example. These days, movies are averaging HUGE budgets- it's even happening to video games- such an enormous investment, that every facet of it becomes scrutinized, market tested, generalized, and tweaked for the largest possible sales numbers.

It isn't creative anymore, it's purely business.

You wind up with movies that cost tens of millions to make that aren't really but not necessarily good. Very bland. Very careful. Very unadventurous. Regurgitated, safe material that sells well enough to earn a return.

Not so long ago, when movies were often made for less than ten million dollars did quite well, the creative license and artistic expression was there because the studios didn't have to live in fear of being bankrupted by expensive projects no one wanted to see. The price of media has been pretty constant over the years, over decades.

A nintendo game in 1986 cost me 50 or 60 bucks. It's not much different 24 years later. But the cost to produce them has skyrocketed. Everything is, much more careful, much more precise, soft and happy.

Consequently- I don't buy much media any more.

There will be a revival soon enough. The current model will not self-sustain indefinitely.

Legion could be a prime example big budget on a B movie style film on saying that it was good till the last 15-20 minutes.

King of the Sandbox:

Legend of J:

King of the Sandbox:

In your opinion. I'm not defending mine anymore.

Your entitled to it i wount try to say "Oh you like gta 4 GTFO you like it i don't its simple lol".

Cowabungaa:

One man's opinion.

Here's another! (My own.)

I will never play Halo. Any of it. Because nobody will EVER shut up about it. More than fanhood, they decided to take it to the obsessive level and for what? It's just a war between aliens and humans. Plenty of those around. I'm sure the Halo series is actually pretty good, but let's just face it... I like Fallout better!

Queen Michael:
Please, friend: They're called commas and dots. Use them. It's free.

On subject: If a movie is good, I like it. If it isn't, I don't. It's not like I enjoy it less than I would have otherwise just because it's been hyped.

If you want to be a grammer nazi fair enough but im half typing the stuff so i cba to get every little sentance right and just for that ill add alittle less punctuation :D

i dont know, borderlands was hyped befor it came out and its great.

Hype annoys the hell out of me, but then I'm biased, I suppose. A lot of the things I love are very underrated, and a lot of the things I hate are hyped to hell and gone.

Brad Shepard:

I havent yet to play that so NO opinion All ive heard is it was hyped up to be amazing BUT when it came out i heard loads of negative things about it (this hasent stopped me wanting to play it) cause what most of my mates say about whats good and whats not i tend not to listen to (only a few i will).

lilmisspotatoes:
Hype annoys the hell out of me, but then I'm biased, I suppose. A lot of the things I love are very underrated, and a lot of the things I hate are hyped to hell and gone.

My favorite movie had no hype at all "Jade warrior".

Well Tvtropes says other wise

But really, it depends on the Game. and just how much they are putting if it's something like Fable.....So yeah

Darth Caelum:
Well Tvtropes says other wise

But really, it depends on the Game. and just how much they are putting if it's something like Fable.....So yeah

I don't rember to much hype on fable 1 i just got it given off my mate when i bought his xbox but he told me to get KOTOR.

Legend of J:

Brad Shepard:

I havent yet to play that so NO opinion All ive heard is it was hyped up to be amazing BUT when it came out i heard loads of negative things about it (this hasent stopped me wanting to play it) cause what most of my mates say about whats good and whats not i tend not to listen to (only a few i will).

theres only one thing i need you to do when playing this game, you must have friends, the game is boring as pissing if you dont have buddys playing with you, i played this game with a friend and it was a blast and a half.

Legend of J:

lilmisspotatoes:

Never even heard of it, heh...

Cowabungaa:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

FalloutJack:

One man's opinion.

Here's another! (My own.)

I will never play Halo. Any of it. Because nobody will EVER shut up about it. More than fanhood, they decided to take it to the obsessive level and for what? It's just a war between aliens and humans. Plenty of those around. I'm sure the Halo series is actually pretty good, but let's just face it... I like Fallout better!

I don't get that. What does the game itself have to do with the hype? Why even care what other people have to say about it, why would their opinion be important enough for you to not play Halo because of that opinion. Why let them influence you?

Legend of J:

See iron man 2 im not as excited about now. Red dead looks good mainly cause all my mates hated the first one so they didn't do what they done with fable 2 "Fable 2 you can do everythink" Then when you play it, it isn't that great lol but still enjoyable.

Iron Man 2:
That will be all.

Though the fact that Stark is the most ballsy superhero ever (gotta love that cocky bastard) and the fact that there are a lot of explosions and pewpewpewdakkadakkadakka helps as well.

lilmisspotatoes:

Legend of J:

lilmisspotatoes:

Never even heard of it, heh...

Exactly lol it has NO hype at all.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked