What facts about yourself do you bring up in conversations with people?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, you've just met this guy/gal. Never seen them before, but now you're chatting and introducing yourself.

What are those few boasts or prideful bits of information you like to drop in to impress them?

Mine are:
I play Piano
I've been to Peru for a month (trekked for five days)
I write
I draw
I compose

I try to do this, I really do, but it always sounds incredibly arrogant when I do it, so I don't do it unless people specifically ask for it.

I have been on TV a couple of times, so that's a good one, assuming they ask me, because if I just go "Hey, I've been on TV!" I just sound like a massive egotist.

I generally provide my experiences on the topics that the other person chooses to include in the conversation. However if pressed, I mention that I'm an amatuer actor, and that I am studying law.

Furburt:
I try to do this, I really do, but it always sounds incredibly arrogant when I do it, so I don't do it unless people specifically ask for it.

I have been on TV a couple of times, so that's a good one, assuming they ask me, because if I just go "Hey, I've been on TV!" I just sound like a massive egotist.

grats on 26,000th post!

OT: i play piano, but i rarely bring that up in conversation... i mostly ask about whoever i'm talking to, instead of talk about myself.

I have no idea. I don't do any activities that would be interesting, I usually find out about them and expand my knowledge on it.

minxamo:

grats on 26,000th post!

Oh yeah...

Thanks, I guess. I'm starting to worry about that post count, I really am.

wonder how long this'll take to become a self-congratulatory wank-fest of people saying how awesome they think they are.

i just tend to focus on the other person, as selling myself is probably better achieved just by showing how I am rather than bringing up what i can do

the time i spent at university and some of the stories that came from it. such great times

Nothing.

I dislike people knowing anything about me.

I don't know. I don't really. It's not like I plan an introduction.
The most common subject ends as what I'm studying at college but that's probably it.

Well if the opportunity arrises I mention I'm an amputee. Mostly because no one ever notices and I always enjoy the look of pure shock on their faces. My foot was amputated when I was 14 but just by looking at me you wouldn't be able to tell. I walk and even run perfectly fine, you would only notice if I took my shoe off.

However normally I don't bring it up until I've known them for a while to maximise the surprise. Besides, it's inevitable that people would want to ask and learn more and if they hardly knew me they might feel nervous about asking. I enjoy talking about it though, if anything I'm actually glad I almost died and had my foot amputated. Makes you look at the world and yourself differently.

I usually ask more about others than myself, but if questioned "name some interesting facts about yourself"; I'd say:

I'm a Taoist
I'm a scientist (almost, still studying)
All I want to do is travel
I've been on the front page of a newspaper

I tore my acl playing american football.

I would like to think that most people introduce facts about themselves in conversations to let the other person get to know them better or help continue the conversation rather than boost their own ego

but that's probably wrong

I keep my conversations with people as awkward and minimalistic as possible. So most people leave unsure whether or not I can speak English fluently.

I don't really talk about myself unless asked a question dereckly,

information is power and i'm not to keen on giving someone power over me(not sure what someone could do with the pointless tid bits of my life but you can never be to sure right?)

minxamo:
OT: i play piano, but i rarely bring that up in conversation... i mostly ask about whoever i'm talking to, instead of talk about myself.

This. I don't really decide what I'm going to tell someone about myself since I prefer to be the one asking questions unless someone specifically asks me something - I generally just talk about things we have in common until something else comes up (ie. something interesting about them or me) and then discuss that.

I used to play WoW a lot.
    I studied hard for a while but now I've crashed and can't seem to accumulate the energy needed for anything that I can't run on my computer.
    I have very low social skills.
    I don't need a meaning of life nor do I need to know if there is a meaning of life.

Nothing. Mostly I just stay the fuck away from people. If I MUST be with them I'm usually silent

Furburt:

Hey, I think I saw you taking that hostages. You were good!

OT: I probably won't tell anything unless I'm asked. Most facts about me might seem rather strange to normal people.

Unless asked I don't tell because I will sound like a massive prick. I guess I could say that I've played badminton for 10 years. Nah, it's badminton so it doesn't sound as impressive compared to people who say the same thing but say they play foot ball.

I find that I often tell people that I attend University, and from that I tell them I'm majoring in history, because the question "what are you studying" quickly follows the "I go to University" thing.

Apart from that, there aren't many things about myself I consider all that interesting.

One thing I actually like pointing out is that I do, in fact, have very little of a social life and that any human interaction I have is a probably cause of my inevitable descent into madness which causes a scene of me removing my underwear without removing my pants, plopping them on my head, declaring myself "King of Bungie Cord", and reenacting the fate of every NPC of Just Cause 2.

I find that people are mostly interested in talking themselves up, so I just let them and smile and nod.

That I can solve a Rubik's Cube in two and a half minutes. I then take out my Rubik's Cube and proceed to show them.

I seem to do it online WAY more than I do in person. But:
I'm Tall
I'm a detective.

In person and online I frequently mention having 6 brothers (5 older and one twin who is also older by a few minutes) I can't help it. They're also my closest friends.

In person I probably mention gaming and my days working with a production company a lot. You get to meet rock stars and future rock stars. It's a good time. I remember it fondly.

I can ride a unicycle.

i tell them that i watch them while they are sleeping (only kidding of course).......

Sometimes I have to convince people that my surname really is Phoenix.
That I went to New York for 5 days on a Media Studies trip and got completely and utterly lost in Heathrow airport. A friend of mine wanted to go to the duty free and we ended up on the wrong side of the airport than where we had to be, so we had to go through customs again and I had to navigate our way back to our terminal. That was a stressful time, because when we asked how to get back one of the guys said we had to cancel our flight.
And anything else is just what the topic is at the time of the conversation. The topics above are the ones I talk about mostly though.

When I met someone new I don't really tend to enumerate what I'm best at and other things . The conversation just flows and if it doesn't it means i don't connect with that person .
But lets say that if I get the chance to know that person better I'd mention :
I write
I have my own beliefs made after watching the secret and reading books on that type
I read a lot (fantasy most of the time)
I play games
I want to make a business
I love tennis and swimming and going outdoors

I once nearly drowned.
I play Basketball.
I lived in america back in '98.
I lived in wales back in '04.
I hitherto returned to the homeland circa '05.

BlackJack47:

I'm a Taoist
I'm a scientist (almost, still studying)

Interesting combination.

Anyways, I try to avoid talking about myself, but if it comes up its always "Yeah, I'm a musician"

noodles loves you:
wonder how long this'll take to become a self-congratulatory wank-fest of people saying how awesome they think they are.

i just tend to focus on the other person, as selling myself is probably better achieved just by showing how I am rather than bringing up what i can do

Exactly.

nothing, they are already too busy bowing to how awesome I am words seem wasted

Interestingly, the first thing I tell often has little to do with me.... it goes a little like

'once, my brother shot my best friend in the face with my gun....but it's OK because he's still alive.'

....I don't meet many girls.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked