Is sarcasm a good thing or a bad thing?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Simple question which I'm going to explain.
Now people call sarcasm a humour but what about when it's directed at you in a mean way?
What I'm speaking off have you ever encountered sarcasm in a fun manner but not in the mean harsh way which people are trying to knock off your balls.
And yes I've only been related to the evil side of sarcasm what are some of your opinions escapists?

Neither. Like 99.99% of everything else in the World.

*sits back and waits for all the sarcasm to start*

Naaah...

[/sarcasm]

I get told I use sarcasm too much, but I just retort that they use stupidity too much, yeah I'm one of those miserable people who insults everyone all the time, go figure.

Kortney:
Neither. Like 99.99% of everything else in the World.

Indeed. Sarasm.. just is. It exist, and there is nothing wrong about it.

depends on the occasion. Can be hurtful, can be hilarious, can just make your day!

While it can be used for evil by mean people and assholes, I think Sarcasm is a tool best used by comedians. Therefor, it is a general good...like Nuclear Power...only without the flesh boiling potential of course

Sarcasm is Extremely bad! think of all the people getting hurt every day by smarmy comments! I for one will not stand for it!
(or will I?)

Sarcasm is a vital part of my sanity maintainer.
Without I'd probably explode.
So it's good yeah.

I'd say it depends on the company present. I have an incredibly sarcastic sense of humour (most of the time) but I do tone it down occasionally because it's got into various kinds of trouble (fights, usually) with people who got offended because they didn't know I was being sarcastic. The other time I'll tone down my sense of humour is on-line - it's really difficult to express tone of voice with written text, and I'm not a fan of smileys or lol-speak or whatever.

Personally, I'm a fan of sarcasm, but not everyone is (and not everyone gets it) so I'd say it's a good thing amongst friends, and a bad thing amongst strangers.

Its good at causing bad situations, and for making bad situations seem good. For maximum fun, use it to get into trouble and get out of it multiple times in succession. Once you do that, get into politics.

the stonker:
Simple.

If you're going to make a topic show some effort and use more than one word because seriously, that's just extremely lazy.

It's good.
People say it's the lowest form of wit, but the people who say that are usually the people who aren't very good at being sarcastic or have just been made fools of.

Depends if you can differentiate between being sarcastic and sardonic, if your answer is "Yes" then the answer to the thread topic is also "Yes".

Also;

UnmotivatedSlacker:

If you're going to make a topic show some effort and use more than one word because seriously, that's just extremely lazy.

This man speaks the truth.

Sarcasm is simply a funny thing... which makes me think you're using "sarcasm" to describe some other concept.

sarcasm is awesome. Especially if one person in a group usually doesn't get it :P

Sarcasm, it may be the lowest form of wit, but that's not as bad as a cliche, the lowest form of literary expression.

It's bad. Very bad. So terrifyingly bad it should be erased off the face of this world.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. how did you know?

UnmotivatedSlacker:

the stonker:
Simple.

And what he said.

If used properly it is a good thing. The problem is that few people uses it properly.

SmartIdiot:
Sarcasm, it may be the lowest form of wit, but that's not as bad as a cliche, the lowest form of literary expression.

I though puns were the lowest form. hmm.

Sarcasm is the body's natural reflexive defense against stupid.

Therefore, if you're around a lot of stupid, you get a lot of sarcasm.

I get a lot of laughs from people when I use sarcasm. Normally it is used to point out a flaw in another person. I don't really think it is all that harmful.
Especially when the other person can't hear you...

I love sarcasm. Everybody in my class was shouting that I liked some girl after I said "Oh... Sure" while just looking up from a book.

I do feel sort of sorry for the girl, though.

EDIT:

havass:

SmartIdiot:

No, puns are said to be the lowest form of humour, I believe.

Nah, it's not wrong, I use it all the time, and nobody gets offended. =P

Sarcasm is always acceptable. Always. At least, that's what I tell myself :P

Obviously, sarcasm is absolutely wonderful. (Let's see you figure that one out!)

It is funny if used in the right moments.

However It gets annoying when someone uses it for every single thing another person says are does. Even if the thing they did, wasn't that stupid.

My mum and my sister both do this, a lot.

Phenom828:
Sarcasm is Extremely bad! think of all the people getting hurt every day by smarmy comments! I for one will not stand for it!
(or will I?)

Was that sarcasm? hard to tell.

I have always considered sarcasm the best way to tell someone that they're wrong.
Even better, if they actually we're right you can always pretend that you knew that all along.

All the time, I use sarcasm happily and make people laugh with it. As opposed to hurtful sarcasm, which I do use but only in frustration. I wish I didn't.

Irony, that's much 'better'.

TooMiserableToLive:

havass:

SmartIdiot:

No, puns are said to be the lowest form of humour, I believe.

Sarcasm is said to be the 'lowest' form of wit, not because it doesn't require wit, nor is it because it's in any way devoid of humour, but because it's (usually) used to dispense humour at someone or something else's expense.
Like a low blow.

Sarcasm as a form of humour require no less wit than any other form of wit.

Puns are shit though.

Oh its TOTALLY a good thing, I mean it just REALLY helps get your point across without being obnoxious or anything bad. It is like a lie that you want people to know that it is a lie.

Let me respond by positing a question: have you ever met a Filipino? By that, I mean "born and raised in", not "of Filipino birth".

As a culture, they (I should say "we", but I never really considered myself one =/) have no concept of sarcasm as a rhetorical device. They will almost always take even a sarcastic "Oh sure" at face value. It makes talking to them quite difficult.

havass:

SmartIdiot:

In the vast sea of opinions I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Ha...

I like it because Americans just dont get it! Makes for some awkward situations, let me tell you!

My middle name is sarcasm. I usually use it as joking, don't wanna hurt people's feelings.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked