How does a person go insane, exactly?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You know how whenever murderers do something horrid, they play the insanity card in defense mode? ( Yugioh Reference). I've never gotten how you can tell the difference between real insanity, and just pulling shit out of your ears. What exactly can truly cause people to go insane?

I think it's from psychological stress. There's only so much any one person can handle. There's is probably also different triggers, and how much of that particular thing it takes to trigger it, depending on the person.

SUPA FRANKY:
What exactly can truly cause people to go insane?

BrokenCYDE Ke$ha 90% of the shit they call 'music' on the radio
I think a combination of a loss of morals, a broken moral compass, stress, neglect, or many other factors can lead up to one's insanity.

It truly varies from person to person.

It varies from person to person. Personally, I think I'll crack from loneliness... which is odd as I'm quite a solitary person.

Define insane, i see weird people all the time.

There are many different reasons as to why people go insane. Most already have psychological issues, and something inside them just "snaps".

SUPA FRANKY:
You know how whenever murderers do something horrid, they play the insanity card in defense mode? ( Yugioh Reference). I've never gotten how you can tell the difference between real insanity, and just pulling shit out of your ears. What exactly can truly cause people to go insane?

What you are saying is actually not really true. The popular opinion that begin considered insane by the court automatically gives you free "get out of jail card" is utter rubbish. In fact, begin found insane is actually WORSE then begin sent into prison with statistics showing that people begin found legally insane typically have to spend almost twice as much time behind bars/in a asylum then they would have if they had simply been thrown into jail.

Not to mention that extremely few people are actually deemed legally insane in the first place.

First understand that the notion of sanity or insanity is a legal concept, not a medical concept.

Having said that, if a person truly has mental health issues that could be used in a legal defense, they are the product of either a downward decline into their psychosis, or they have some kind of damage that has rendered them this way.

I think people go insane when they start to become afraid of themselves.

cikame:
Define insane, i see weird people all the time.

Probably the people who are committed to mental wards and not the ones you want there.
OT: When the correct combination of loneliness, delusion, and misplaced bravery set in.

Hardcore_gamer:

SUPA FRANKY:

What you are saying is actually not really true. The popular opinion that begin considered insane by the court automatically gives you free "get out of jail card" is utter rubbish. In fact, begin found insane is actually WORSE then begin sent into prison with statistics showing that people begin found legally insane typically have to spend almost twice as much time behind bars/in a asylum then they would have if they had simply been thrown into jail.

Not to mention that extremely few people are actually deemed legally insane in the first place.

Really? Huh, you learn new things every day.

Have you ever been to my school? thats how.

But, I think its under abnormal pressures. So stress ect.

As most of the people above me said, there are literally dozens of ways. Heredity, neurological damage, stress, trauma, drugs and alcohol abuse... the list is really quite endless. As for the so called "insanity defense", it isn't really all its cracked up to be. When you are sent to a mental institution as the result of a crime you've committed, they will keep you until they determine you are safe to be returned to the public, which very often is going to be longer than a prison stay or even indefinitely.

SUPA FRANKY:
You know how whenever murderers do something horrid, they play the insanity card in defense mode?

That's a big myth. The insanity defense is only even attempted in something like less than .1% of all felony cases. It succeeds less than half of that.
The thing is you don't have to be 'sane' to stand trial in the psychoanalytical sense. You just have to be able to be 'competent' I've seen many a schizophrenic guy go behind bars for this or that. Someone who is hearing voices may still be able to say 'the voices tell me to do things. Bad things: like kill people' That guy could not get an insanity defense because he understands that killing people is bad.

There's a point in peoples minds that when reached, just snaps. Each mind has a different level and certain factors can strech the boudaries of how long it takes to snap. Almost anything, if strong enough, can push someone to make them snap. I rest mah dang diddly case.

this made me go a little nutty for a little bit

other then that, I think that everybody has that little button in there mind that sais "do not push" and some douchebag comes along to push it.

EDIT:btw, the "do not push" line is a rock paper cynic referance, I like to give credit where it is due

They loose their minds

OT:I don't know somthin' snaps

Some people are born with mental issues, other people develop them through deep stress or tragic situations. There isn't any set reason.

An accumulation of stress, depression, and anxiety taken way too far.

It's just like gravity, all it takes is a little push....one bad day.

NoblePhilistineFox:
this made me go a little nutty for a little bit

other then that, I think that everybody has that little button in there mind that sais "do not push" and some douchebag comes along to push it.

EDIT:btw, the "do not push" line is a rock paper cynic referance, I like to give credit where it is due

That was beautiful.

OT: In my case it would be genetics (Schizophrenia runs in my family).

It's a combination of things that can vary from person to person,it can be dramatic memory's,extreme stress,loneliness,an abusive childhood sometimes just because a person becomes bored with the montiney of everyday life.

Touching the tentacles of Eldritch horror which burst forth from the cavernous sides of Mummy Dragons. (reference cookie) Or just plain touching anything Lovecraftian. Anything else is out of your ass.

well, you have emotions that assault your functioning, like anger, sadness, stress. we get that every day, and we deal with it. once you can't deal with it anymore, because A: there's too much of it or B: your defence is low, you snap.

Insane isn't really a sound definition, and no one uses it, apart from maybe in the vernacular, but never on the record.

By insane do you mean psychopathic? A lack of guilt stemming from massive traumas in childhood combined with possible chemical imbalances in the brain leading to violent thrill-seeking behaviour?

Psychotic behaviour? A massive guilt complex instilled by overbearing parents and a harsh time as a child, usually in the education system, leading one day to psychotic episode where the patient snaps and the bounds on his guilt based conscience desert him for a period of time before returning to make him almost suicidally regretful?

(Truly) sociopathic (not the self-diagnosed bullshit from the internet) an absolute inability to connect on any level with human thought, emotion or social graces, basically an inability to recognise anything similar between yourself and other humans, potentially brought on by being loved too much as a child leading to a narcissistic personality from which either inadequate social interaction, or potential isolation from peers for any reason, or chemical imbalances cause the subject to descend permanently into a state akin to self-perceived Godhood?

Manic Depression, chemical imbalances cause wild mood swings from the reckless and borderline bouts of activity to the lethargic, apaethetc, occasionally suicidal depression?

And that's not even counting schizophrenia, split personality disorder, and a myriad of other possible mental conditions which could perceivably lead to a person committing any form of crime.

Really, there's no such thing as an 'insanity plea' that's just a term used in popular media because 'insanity' is not something that can be measured or even agreed upon by professionals either of a legal or medical standing.

SUPA FRANKY:
What exactly can truly cause people to go insane?

Me.

Insanity is infectious, And the Giraffe's are out to get you!

and IM Spartacus

I'm not sure.

Just out of interest though, if someone randomly got urges to rape, murder & kill people/animals are they partly mentally ill? I know someone like that...

like people said, it varies person to person however you can go insane because of some physical alteration of the chemical balance or damage and there is the physiological side of things.

90% of the time the illness or disorder remains in a person chronically so it gives the chance for examination of the person through questionnaires, interviews, blood tests and MRI scans (MRI scans cannot be faked) even so, those that are pleaded on the insanity grounds would normally have a history of mental illness

Kiwibloke:
I'm not sure.

Just out of interest though, if someone randomly got urges to rape, murder & kill people/animals are they partly mentally ill? I know someone like that...

If a child kills animals like cats and dogs in a early age, then you have a problem. most famous serial killers all did do that shit.Empathy is a major factor in this if you have none then its only a matther of time.

There's no medical definition for insanity. Only a legal one.

Otherwise there's paranoia, schizophrenia, delusions etc.

Ask whoever made this:

Insanity only exists if you accept Sanity as a concept. Nobody seems to be able to agree on what Sanity consists of exactly. It varies from culture to culture around the world. But since you asked a simple question, I will assume that Insanity has been clearly defined as follows...

Insanity is doing anything that prevailing cultural morals prohibit.

Imho, people go Insane when they stop playing by the rules everyone else expects them to play by. It can be eccentricity, silliness, or even dangerous behavior. So if you ever do anything that the majority of your culture deems 'Insane' (i.e. Evil) you are labeled as an Insane person.

People thus go Insane when they snap and stop wearing their societal responsibilities like a heavy backpack. In essence anyone that departs from supposed normalcy is 'Insane.' So nearly everyone in the world is Insane technically...it is the 'Sane People' that scare this crap outta me actually. More harm has been done by 'Sane' and 'Moral' people historically than by nutbags.

SUPA FRANKY:

You do realize that, contrary to what they show on T.V., that defense is rarely used, and even when it is is rarely successful. Insanity is a legal term, not a medical one.

Those fakers keep pretending to be me, they should learn to stop copying others.

It's when their brain can't take so much information, stress, or expectations that it loses its grip on reality, if you ask me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked