Best and worst twist endings.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Not sure if this is a previous topic or not, as I didn't search too thoroughly to be honest.

What, in your opinion, is the best twist ending and the worst twist ending? This could be any medium so games, movies, books, graphic novels and TV shows are all ok.

In my opinion I would say the best would be Oldboy.

For worst, it would probably be Laid to Rest, which isn't exactly a well known horror film but I'm sure a few of you have seen it.

Feel free to include spoilers if you wish of course.

The twist in the middle of Baten Kaitos blew my mind. If you've played the game, you know what it is.

The best twist I've seen is in Hard Candy. The worst is the infamous "my dog ate my script for this" Indigo PRophecy twist.

"It's just a dream" good god that's an awful ending. Particularly in a movie. The film "North" for example even as a kid I was confused by that.

Best?

Best one is at the end of bioshock, you know the one. I won't ruin it. And the worst is probably from when a stranger calls. "The call is coming from inside the house!" oh really? Inever would have guessed.

Shutter Island. It was mind blowing. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, so I wont talk about it =P

Shutter Island's twist made me want to bang my head against the wall. I hated it.
A Tale of Two Sister's twist, however, was really interesting, and I liked it.

Game-wise...Shadow Hearts: Covenant's ending really threw me. And then I kicked myself for not realizing it. There were little eggs along the way... it wasn't out of nowhere. It was genius!

EDIT: Ninja'd...sort of.

One of the best I would say is from The Sixth Sense. Anyone who says they saw that one coming (if the ending wasn't spoiled for them already) is lying.

The worst would probably be every other M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Best twist ending in a video game is the end of Infamous after you beat Kessler. Did not see that one coming at all. Can't wait til they decide to come out with an Infamous sequel.

Best one: The Usual Suspects. Never saw that one comming, it is so unexpected and well done.

Worst one: The Village. Fucked the whole movie up beyond imagination.

Tomster595:
Shutter Island. It was mind blowing. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, so I wont talk about it =P

That was so crazy! I loved it! It made me really sad, though :/

Lolth17:
One of the best I would say is from The Sixth Sense. Anyone who says they saw that one coming (if the ending wasn't spoiled for them already) is lying.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!
We have a winrar!

Yeah, no better twist than the one in Sixth Sense.

Tomster595:

Kind of, yet some things made me facepalm.

Cheery Lunatic:
Shutter Island's twist made me want to bang my head against the wall. I hated it.
A Tale of Two Sister's twist, however, was really interesting, and I liked it.

Game-wise...Shadow Hearts: Covenant's ending really threw me. And then I kicked myself for not realizing it. There were little eggs along the way... it wasn't out of nowhere. It was genius!

EDIT: Ninja'd...sort of.

The Shutter Island twist annoyed me in that it pretty much made everything that came before it completely unvalid. It seemed like a bit of a cop-out really.

I've never played that game, but a few friends recommended it to me. Is the rest of the game good too?

Well, I can't think of any particularly good ones, but I do know that a bad (and I mean bad) one is the Assassin's Creed 2 twist.
Good Christ was that terrible.

I'd have to go with Old Boy myself.

As for worst, for me was probably The Mist. It was just hilariously depressing.

EDIT: Also, No More Heroes.

Snarky Username:
The twist in the middle of Baten Kaitos blew my mind. If you've played the game, you know what it is.

I love you.

While I wouldn't call it the best I rather liked the ending to the first Saw movie where

The worst is definitely "The Village" though.

LJJ:

Snarky Username:

I love you.

Sorry, I just like you as a friend.

Almost anything M. Night Shamaylan(sp?) has created.

The Village and The Happening? I TOTALLY called both endings within the first 20-30 minutes of the movies!

"What a tweest!" my ass.

shutter island i didn't guess completely but had a good idea of what the twist would be just from watching the trailer.

i think the worst twist for me was the one in the middle of final fantasy 8, i would say it but i don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

Tomster595:

That 'twist' was obvious from the onset of the movie. hell, the TRAILERS made it obvious. An agent goes to a crazy island to look for a crazy, and finds out thats HE'S crazy? Come on. I'm not even going to bother putting it into a spoiler.

That would have to be one of the worst twist I have seen. Best? There are many. My personal favorite is the Prestige...

The movie dropped hints left and right, but you never knew for sure until the end. Than you watch the movie again and pick up on the other hints you missed all together.

FargoDog:

The Shutter Island twist annoyed me in that it pretty much made everything that came before it completely unvalid. It seemed like a bit of a cop-out really.

I've never played that game, but a few friends recommended it to me. Is the rest of the game good too?

That's EXACTLY why I hated it. The twist didn't shift the plot to make you think "Ohhh"...it just rendered it into a huge muck of pointless. Such an effing cop-out. I even liked the whole conspiracy thing it was trying to shove down my throat prior. The movie was so good until the twist.

And Shadow Hearts: Covenant was awesome. It's actually my favorite game. I'm generally not a fan of the jRPG genre, but I liked the characters and the gameplay was innovative enough that I looked past the TBS. :)

That your "Already Dead 0_o"

Book of Eli

Cheery Lunatic:

Oh it really did. It was really sweet/sad depending on which ending you got, but either, I saw none of that coming.

Best:
Shutter Island

Worst:
Probably Book of Eli or Daybreaks(well, not so much daybreakers...it could have been a little better imo, great movie overall though) Oh, and lets not forget The Village...

To be honest, there are so many movies with terrible endings, and of course there are some with great, mindblowing endings. Its pretty hard to list them all.

KOTOR's Revan reveal was pretty cool, Conviction's daughter twist was good, for bad ones any M. Night Shamylan movie is bound to have a shitty twist.

You mean twist endings like in The Usual Suspects? In that case the second best is, well, The Usual Suspects.

The best is that other movie with the same actor (same as TUS), but I don't remember the title. It was about the death penalty and stuff. The movie is not as good as TUS, but I loved the ending. You know, since the whole family/romantic plot was torn to bloody pieces and flushed down the toilet, he he.

Edit: just looked it up, it's The Life of David Gale

The best: The Prestige

The worst: Oceans 12 - just lazy IMO

i really liked the game dead space but they treated something that i figured out pretty early on in the game like a revelatory twist despite dropping many many blatantly obvious hints. the first time i played it i was confused when it happened because i thought "wait, i wasn't already supposed to know this?"

Kotor 1 had a good twist that made me go " WTF?!?!?"

Flight:
The best twist I've seen is in Hard Candy.

I haven't seen Hard Candy for some time now.But please jog my memory.

OT:
Best is probably the one in Old Boy.Why? Because it hits you in the face like a sledgehammer going 50km a hour.And I could hardly give it a better compliment.And also the fact that [BLEEEP] and that the antagonist had [BOOOOOP] and then [BLIIIIPPP].Man,that was one hell of a movie.

I don't really have a worst one.But if I have to chose,then it would be The Village.Sucked so bad.

Lolth17:

The worst would probably be every other M. Night Shyamalan movie.

I dunno, I quite liked the twist at the end of Unbreakable. The twist in Signs made me want to kill things though.

I enjoyed the ending of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I was honestly not expecting it, and it made the game just better.
One of the worst was Illbleed... I watched an LP of that game, and it was OK at first, then got really weird. The New game plus is Just... Oh, GOD. GOD, Get it out of my head!
Why...‽‽‽
No....
Brain bleach! Brain bleach!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked