Chris Morris' 'Four Lions'. A comedy about Jihadist suicide bombers.

As those familiar with his work would expect Chris Morris' Four Lions is a brilliantly executed piece of left-field social commentary. It's a film that might benefit from being watched at home or in a cinema where the audience isn't laughing out loud however, since as well as being genuinely funny it's also thought-provoking & deeply ironic.

I suspect U.S. citizens will abhor or utterly despise it since it doesn't depict terrorists as mindless blank automatons or cackling satanic wraiths from the Otherworld, but simply as flawed individuals like the rest of the human species.

However the complete lack of any articles or threads surprises me. Has anyone heard of this film, & if so what are your opinions?

I must ask what makes you think that U.S citizens would think that?

OT: As for your question, I have never heard of either Chris Morris nor Four Lions so I don't really have much on how it is, but I may go and see what it is about.

I've seen it. Thanks to Furburt constantly promoting it in PRIATE.

And yeah, I love it. I found it hilarious.

Oh, and not all US citizens are mindless drones who are scared of and hate anything that doesn't show the US as God and its enemies as Satan. Remember that.

Maxieon:

Mainly the zealous nature of the depiction of anything 'anti-American' by the overwhelming mass of U.S. mainstream media as anathema to civilization (e.g. 'Freedom Fries', 'Freedom Liquor' to name two fatuous examples). Possibly I should have said "I suspect the majority of U.S. Citizens [...]"
My apologies for any offence given.

catalyst8:

Maxieon:

Mainly the zealous nature of the depiction of anything 'anti-American' by the overwhelming mass of U.S. mainstream media as anathema to civilization (e.g. 'Freedom Fries', 'Freedom Liquor' to name two fatuous examples). Possibly I should have said "I suspect the majority of U.S. Citizens [...]"

Non really taken since it happens a lot. But I need to correct you in that not a majority think that way. It is just that many idiots get more coverage and are more followed than those who are intelligent.

I saw it myself on Saturday. Very, very funny. And in fact, it's probably one of the worst things you can do to such an organization, ridicule them, because terrorists rely on publicity.

I doubt it'll offend most people in the US though. Just a few wet blankets. If anything, it's a fairly reasonable comedy, it doesn't purposefully try to offend people.

It's still hilarious, but it's nowhere near as offensive as Brass Eye or Jam (previous work by Chris Morris).

But yeah, whether you agree with it or not, it's definitely worth seeing simply because it's really funny.

The trailer is actually a poor representation of it, the film itself is way funnier.

I thought it was brilliant. Probably not as controversial and offensive as some of his early works, but its's bloody funny!

i went to see it on Saturday and it was absolutely brilliant.

I really fancy it, loved BrassEye.

Furburt:

The trailer is actually a poor representation of it, the film itself is way funnier.

Well, people laughed at that trailer more than the entireity of Kick Ass in the cinema I went to.

Best film I've seen in a very, very long time.

Maxieon:

catalyst8:

Maxieon:

Non really taken since it happens a lot. But I need to correct you in that not a majority think that way. It is just that many idiots get more coverage and are more followed than those who are intelligent.

More along the lines of that the media loves to fluff itself by depicting the average person in such a manner.

Maxieon:

catalyst8:

Maxieon:

I'm thinking back to a couple of articles that I read last year. They stated that MW2 had gone "too far" and was making an attack on the American ideals of democracy and liberty by envisioning a foreign attack on the White House.

Seriously though, everyone with half a brain realises that Americans in general have enough sense to avoid excessive stereotyping.

I saw the trailer in the cinema at uni, it looks hilarious. Hopefully I'll get to see it sometime.

Haven't seen it yet, damn finals in college, but I loved Brasseye and the Day Today. Amazingly funny humour with biting social comentary...Its sure to be controvarsial everywhere, go I remember the uproar over the Paedophile Special. "These guys don't need punishment, they need GUNISHMENT!", the "Paedophile prowling around a local area, disguised as a school" and lastly the bit where Morris gets offended because the Paedo doesn't fancy his kid...

And remember kids...cake is a made-up drug.

Love everything Chris Morris does. I'm looking forward to seeing this but cinema being the price it is will make me wait.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked